Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ManxomeBromide posted:

The Nyunyu are an interesting case. In the pre-warp era, many of our futurists thought that there was no reason for species to stay at any given level of development for long, and also no reason for FTL travel, should it be possible, to be on any kind of synchronized timescale.

Their prediction is that should Gnolam make it into space, they would find beasts or gods, but not Gnolam. As we know, it didn't work out that way, for both tragedy and farce.

As tragedy, the most advanced extant race we have encountered are the Antarans, who are incredibly deadly and vastly dangerous, but still clearly a Gnolam-like species that has merely had a modest head start. We have also seen the works of species whose abilities pass all comprehension—the creation of the Meklars, the sealing of the Antarans—but no evidence of the species themselves or their societies. We have no information on how Gnolam-like they might have been, or how recognizable their society might be, beyond that the operation of the Meklar suggest that they had some affinity for Val-like worlds where sugars could be regularly grown.

As farce, well. Of the non-Gnolam races we've met, the very first one we met were the Humans, whose basic appearance and demeanor are among the most Gnolam-like of any other life form we have encountered throughout our arm of the Galaxy.

The Nyunyu are an anomaly, though. They are the first intelligent species we have encountered that is not also starfaring, and even there, left to their own devices, it seems likely that they were not more than 200 years away from discovering space travel. That isn't even an eyeblink in cosmic time. So they're behind the Gnolam, but broadly speaking are still very clearly Gnolam-class in terms of sophistication. And they are the least advanced species we have word of that is still capable of metalworking!

This is disquieting. The Humans had a concept they called the "Great Filter" which suggested that something in the universe destroyed starfaring civilizations before their existence became unmistakable to pre-warp civilizations. What we seem to have found is something that appears to destroy civilizations pre-industrialization.

Given the behavior and the timescales, it's hard to shake the thought that what we've found are the Antarans.

A species that would have been interesting to have met, for this train of thought, is the Eldritch. it's heavily implied that they reached for the stars, then discovered something that caused their civilization to crumble, leading to the abandonment of their colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Nian Bortis, in BS&L internal strategy meeting posted:

If we're ever going to seriously expand operations into Human space, we'll need s better understanding of Human personnel, Republican laws, and Human customers, heh. This is why I'm sponsoring a new xenology training institue to produce qualified advisors for Human relations for our corporate operations.

Nian Bortis, to the Assembly posted:

Drawing up formal security studies to deal with the challenges of interstellar espionage will soon be necessary for LIIS to do its job. The service is stretched too thin over too many worlds- we need to work out an effective way for local states to contribute to counterespionage.

Xenology, by way of Military Tactics.

An obscure engineering feasability study posted:

'Micro actuator layout for wearable exoskeletons'

Power Armor.

Nian Bortis, in BS&L internal strategy meeting posted:

New colonies means new supply shipments while they get their economic base up to speed, and then expanded trade afterwards as they grow. I say we start by looking for customers in Tessin's agricultural sector who are looking to expand operations...

Modernise the colonies.

Ston Precision Computing advertisement, released on Earth posted:

The Ston Rainbow Optical Handheld. The finest in Gnolam personal computing now fully-localised for English and Mandarin speakers. Enjoy the Rainbow.

Foreign trade for Camile.

And Taurio Prime for our next colonisation target.

Glaive-Guisarme
Jun 8, 2020

Polearms, everywhere.

Apocrypha Engineering, Product Demo posted:

<ER&D Head> "...Look, I'm still working with the same materials, so I had to get creative about what I could do for 'strength-assisted gravity suit."
<Comptroller> "..Low-profile was the words used, weren't they? And you're off by an order of magnitude on the strength requirements. If someone tried to open a door with it, they'd rip it off. And then smash through the doorway, because they don't fit in the door!"
<ER&D Head> "Look, that's what we can add limiters for, and without this scale, you're not going too get enough strength to counteract the gravity in base function mode."
<Comptroller> "What I'm saying is you haven't put together an antigravity suit, you've put together..."

Product Proposal posted:

Drengr-class power armor, designed for augmenting and reinforcing Gnolam marines. Utilizing Apocrypha's self-repairing technologies for maintenance in the field, and the central Hersir station is capable of total replacement, given the proper materials, or providing extended fuel for long-duration engagements...

A vote for Advanced Engineering again, and Power Armor, of course. Aside from that, we should continue to focus on Research Treaties first, and I'd say modernizing colonies second.

For Camile, I'd say we should focus on the Trade Treaty revenue; we've got a pair of friendly partners here, we can really get some mileage out of this. Last, I vote...Varinia Prime. A breadbasket world or two to make new colonists for the slower-growing worlds is nice, and Varinia looks like it could be a good pick there.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Unfortunately, shipping food between colonies is not in this game. Everyone has to provide for themselves until you get a specific technology much later in the game, and even that is only within the same system. So you can't just have a few worlds feeding your empire.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MechaCrash posted:

Unfortunately, shipping food between colonies is not in this game. Everyone has to provide for themselves until you get a specific technology much later in the game, and even that is only within the same system. So you can't just have a few worlds feeding your empire.

But you can have nursery worlds that produce a lot of food, which in turn means they produce a lot of population, and send this population to other worlds with slower growth; which is what Glaive-Guisarme is talking about.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
MechaCrash, I think you may have missed Glaive-Guisarme's phrasing. He said 'make new colonists' rather than 'make food'- I think he's implying setting up an agricultural world or two dedicated to churning out civil transports once it's properly set up.

E: And beaten to the punch by Cat Mattress.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Oh! Yeah, having a people-factory world works out. Shame that shifting population around is a pain in the rear end, but at least you can churn out new schmucks to go to new planets in a relative hurry.

Just make sure they can eat when they land. I accidentally lost a population unit by deploying a little too hard to a high-G Barren world.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So like, they all forgot how to preserve food in MoO-verse or something

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Incidentally, anybody have suggestions for Meklar colony world names? Still not feeling super-inspired yet.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

No suggestions from me at the moment, but I'm wondering why you haven't used the 'rename colony' functionality to better reflect the given names of Gnolam colonies? Help in finding the planets?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

So like, they all forgot how to preserve food in MoO-verse or something

MoO2 (from 1996) sort of abstracted this mechanic away by having an empire-wide pool of food similarly to how you'd have an empire-wide pool of money or RP (with the added layer that you needed to spend some money to build freighters that would ship the food or new colonists around, but the actual freighters were abstracted into invisibility and so long as freighter number > food moving around number, you were good), but this re-make MoO did away with this idea, and now you have to not only build freighters one by one to ferry population around (manually), but as mentioned above you can only move food around within a single star system and this is unlocked way later in the tech-tree. I would argue it would be worse if the game let you also build food freighters and somehow had to manually guide them around the galaxy as you must with the population transfer freighters, and the focus of this re-make wasn't necessarily laser-precisely honed on quality of life improvements, so :v:

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 28, 2020

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Teledahn posted:

No suggestions from me at the moment, but I'm wondering why you haven't used the 'rename colony' functionality to better reflect the given names of Gnolam colonies? Help in finding the planets?

Because it only renames the system, last time I checked.

E: Just rechecked and confirmed. Renaming only renames the star system; planets just inherit a name from the system and their position.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2020

Vee2003
Jul 12, 2018

"In retrospect, flying into the black hole may have been a tactical error."
I will vote for Taurio Prime for the next colony.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Going to wrap up voting and play through the update now.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Financing the research treaty with the Humans would require us to gift them 600 trillion credits free and clear- nuMoO regrettably doesn't let us add a second tribute deal on top of an existing tribute deal with the same race, and they're still paying us the ransom back for captured spies. Do we want to proceed with the research treaty, or reprioritise our spending elsewhere?

E: Actually, checking, looks like we only need to wait three more turns, I can do that.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Modernizing new colonies works for me too.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Well, hilariously, it turns out the Humans didn't want to spend all that money on a research treaty. Time for investment in new colonies!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nweismuller posted:

Incidentally, anybody have suggestions for Meklar colony world names? Still not feeling super-inspired yet.

Honestly they feel like they'd keep the System Prime, System II, System III convention because beep boop we are the space robots

But, going with the theme you had with "Origin", then how about "Vector", "Impulse", "Celerity", "Momentum", etc. Sciencey terms that are evocative of the Meklar empire's expansion into the galaxy.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Perhaps Science Knows Boundaries After All

Another attempt to infiltrate the League by the Republican Intelligence Agency was intercepted by agents of the League Interstellar Intelligence Service in OIR 2052. Negotiations for the repatriation of the RIA agents went smoothly, with Republican negotiators agreeing to pay hefty reparations for the return of their men and women.

By 2056, advance in materials science in the League had led the the development of a new high-performance armor and structural alloy trademarked as Duralloy by Foundation Metallurgical. Duralloy was a titanium alloy carefully strengthened with traces of tungsten, chromium, and iron, greatly increasing strength at a relatively minimal increase in density. Duralloy was an ideal material for aerospace armoring, being able to absorb much more damage before failing, but was only the most prominent of several new alloys developed at about this time. Other, denser alloys could be used to increase the durability of ground vehicle armor, while use of Duralloy framing began to make development of even larger ships that could perform effectively in space combat practical- the strength of older titanium framing was effectively insufficient to scale up current military designs.

A program of refits of the bulk of the Navy promptly followed, replacing their old titanium armor plating with Duralloy.

Operations against the persistent pirate menace that continued to emerge in the Miract system continued, with the Enforcer destroying pirate bases in 2058 while border defenses in the Shimari system fended off pirate ships. The battles went smoothly, reopening the Miract system to travel, at least temporarily. On its return to Shimari, the Enforcer was refit, making it the last ship of the Navy to receive the new Duralloy armor upgrades.

Another attempt by the RIA to penetrate League security was intercepted in 2062, with the agents responsible rounded up and imprisoned. Negotiations for the repatriation of the RIA agents went as smoothly as usual, providing another infusion of operating capital to cover the League's expenses.

Continued experience in counterpiracy and counterespionage, work by security theorists and planners, and xenological analysis of Human and Meklar security measures led to a new comprehensive security strategy for the League formulated by about the middle of 2063. Recommendations for local security measures against alien espionage and the introduction of sophisticated forensic analysis tools and DNA trackers which could catch an individual's trail based on microscopic skin flakes, sweat, and hair particles left in the air could, once implemented, greatly improve local security forces' abilities to track and apprehend individuals involved in crimes and espionage. The operating expenses for such modernisation of local security forces would be very significant, but the continuing pressure from the RIA meant that many League member states were strongly considering steps to improve their security. Next to plans to modernise security against espionage, the release of several white papers within the League military community theorising how large-scale occupation of a world held by hostile forces might be achieved gained far less attention- but the potential to raise expeditionary forces to occupy alien worlds was now at least a theoretical possibility.

Efforts to negotiate new cooperative research efforts between League and Republican institutions fell through in 2067, with Human policy-makers in government and industry holding the purse strings for their research institutions unwilling to make the massive investment needed for such endeavors. The first stage of negotiations went well, however, with Gnolam investors and financial institutions extending a total of 650 trillion credits in loans to various Human institutions at a repayment rate which guaranteed a healthy profit by the time the loans were repaid.

Alas, I tried to get a research treaty, but it looks like the Republic isn't willing to spent that amount of money all at once at the moment. We can, however, throw the money we would have spent on the research treaty into our colonies.

Continued work by Gnolam shippers, traders, and industrialists to manage the challenges of large-scale interstellar supply chains began to bear fruit by about 2068. With development of proper shipping schedules and large-scale orbital warehousing, coordination of imports of materials for major industrial projects could be greatly smoothed over. Meanwhile, development of methods to reprocess and reclaim usable materials from what might otherwise be industrial waste on Teziv promised to help allow for long-term industrial expansion on that planet.

The Geosynchronous Warehouse is not a structure you necessarily want on most worlds- it's a reasonably hefty investment for what it does. On the other hand, for a world you expect to be a long-term industrial center producing many ships, you can get enough buyouts over time to make it worth it. For now, we should primarily aim for one on Val, and eventually one on Teziv. The Recyclotron is a powerful tool for managing pollution allowing for major industrial expansion, but can only be built on rich and ultra-rich worlds. Teziv is definitely getting one when the time is right.

During otherwise routine trade negotiations with Meklar interests in 2072, it became clear that Meklar researchers had developed designs for large-scale radiative cooling arrays sunk into the oceans of worlds with large enough oceans to safely serve as heatsinks for very large computer processing arrays. Although this represented no real advance in the processors themselves, the massive banks of processing equipment that could be built on purpose-built platforms in the ocean could be a powerful tool for tackling very large data sets as typified many of the problems in modern science. In exchange for full specifications for this technology, Gnolam negotiators offered designs for installation gravity generators that would help allow for the Meklars to make their own moon-based research installations much like the one on Val's moon.

In 2074, Arne Stollen, perhaps the most prolific inventor of the modern League, formally used the seed capital from his earlier inventions to establish Stollen Innovations, a company dedicated to basic research in a wide variety of fields, study of the differing technological practises of alien societies, and then practical development of new and marketable inventions to make life better for Gnolams across the League. With the brilliant Stollen at its head, Stollen Innovations was anticipated to provide new useful products for almost every field of Gnolam endeavor.

We need to wait for Arne to finish arriving at his post before we get the +10% research, but this is going to be a major boost to our research output once he's in place. It takes four turns to reassign leaders between duty posts, so his bonus should kick in at 2523 CE/OIR 2079. With Arne, we are now at 5 leaders on our payroll out of a possible 9. I think, with Arne, we've gotten all or almost all the 'loyalist' Gnolam leaders who show up for Gnolam players- our future leaders should primarily be alien rather than Gnolam.

Known Space and the Universal Mercantile League as of 2075

Even without the revenue from loan repayments from Human space, the League's economy has seen very healthy growth over the past 25 years, while the rate of innovation has accelerated notably with a growing research community across the League. The General Oversight Combine reports it now maintains a claim on the Thraxr system significantly spinward and rimward of its core territories. It seems likely that this places Combine borders close to those of the Great Empire of Bulra, although without clear information on the extent of the Great Empire this is difficult to confirm.

A colony mission from Val is en route to the world of Skeggi in the Taurio system, soon to arrive there and establish the newest world of the UML.

The Enforcer is once again on counter-piracy patrol, while pirate vessels appear to be inbound once again to the Shimari system.

With the establishment of heavy orbital batteries over Val to support its missile defenses and Naval base, it seems likely that the homeworld is mostly secure against possible Antaran attack in the future- at least, if Antaran capabilities for power projection do not show too dramatic an increase. The population on Val has only grown marginally over the past 25 years, its growth largely having been siphoned off to the Skeggi colony mission. Work has begun on setting up research platforms on Val's oceans, taking advantage of the cooling technologies gained from the Meklars.

Stevas has stabilised once again at a population of approximately five billion, with new orbital battery defenses helping to secure the planet. A program to terraform Stevas, increasing temperatures, melting ice, and introducing new species to permit a more productive biosphere has progressed relatively quickly over the small surface area of the planet, with global temperatures already notably higher. Stevas may soon be classifiable as a true garden world. A significant research community has once again emerged on Stevas as its economy has developed.

The cost to terraform a planet scales to its size. Given that Stevas is a Tiny world, it's relatively affordable to terraform, and should soon transform from a Tundra to a Swamp. Unlike normal production projects, Terraforming produces no pollution and cannot be purchased outright with money. Not only does Terraforming produce no pollution, it also negates the pollution created by population, which means that any accumulated pollution will drop by the full amount of the local planetary pollution tolerance every turn.

Tessin's population now exceeds three billion, with a local infrastructure that has made great strides over the past 25 years. Improvements in agriculture, business methods, governmental administration, and the development of a small local research community have helped bring new prosperity to the world. Efforts have recently started to establish manufacturing plants to provide the supplies needed for active management of soil chemistry on Tessin's agricultural land, although these remain far from completion.

With the growing population of Eglein- now in excess of seven billion persons- has come growing social problems. Shadow communities that only share minimally in the overall prosperity of the League have begun to emerge, showing notably lower productivity than most populations, while several dissident groups largely focusing on the idea that Eglein should exist independent of a League centered far from the Shimari system have begun to cause occasional disruptions to the orderly business of the planet and cause headaches for local security forces. Despite this, widescale implementation of industrial-scale fusion power has bolstered industrial output, while the growth of a significant local research community has helped it to contribute more effectively to the League's continued progress, while a new Naval base has nearly been completed in planetary orbit.

Here is where our morale level comes to bite us. With a local morale of 85%, each unit of population can be considered to contribute 15% 'unrest' to the planet. Once 'unrest' exceeds 100%, one unit of population goes 'on strike' for every full 100% 'unrest'. Population on strike still contributes cash income, but does not produce research, food, or production for working as scientists, farmers, or industrial workers. Unfortunately, at the moment, we have done all we can do for Eglein's morale.

Navok's population once again exceeds two billion persons, supporting one of the larger research communities of the League. Although its economy is still heavily dependent on outside imports, the situation is less severe than it was 25 years ago. Construction has almost completed on new research installations on Navok's moon, which could help it to become an even more significant contributor to the technological and scientific progress of the League.

The past 25 years have seen Eydin's population grow to over five billion, supporting a growing research community with proper access to funding and equipment, improved business methods, and planetary security forces to help safeguard against outside invasion or civic unrest. Construction work on a series of gravity generators across the planet has begun, hopefully to reduce felt gravity to comfortable levels once they are completed.

Teziv's population has grown to over three billion, notably supporting a heavy industrial workforce of over 100 million. Construction has begun on industrial fusion plants to supply power for the planet, while the planetary infrastructure and economy has been heavily developed over past years, much as has Tessin's.

Sluyen has developed quite similarly to Tessin, with similar growth in agricultural workforce, improvements in the planetary economy, and growth in population to over three billion. Work has barely begun on new chemical production plants to help supply local agriculture and its demand for active management of soil chemistry.

Although LIIS staffing has not significantly increased over the past 25 years, spending on the service has slowly climbed, while LIIS' confidence of its ability to protect League security against hostile incursion has likewise increased as a growing body of doctrine, security expertise, and specialty equipment has been accumulated.

Each spy team costs 5 BC per annum in upkeep at level 1, but gains 2 BC in upkeep costs for each additional level. Their effectiveness in their jobs rises even faster than their upkeep costs as they gain levels- in counterintelligence work, each spy adds 1% to empire-level security rating for every level they have. Our empire security rating has increased from 12% to 16% over the past 20 turns, although it's possible new colonies will continue to dilute that rating.

Heavy research into xenological sciences has begun to create a highly skilled cadre of cultural experts who can serve as effective consultants to diplomats and marketers attempting to reach out across species lines. This will very likely help ensure strong diplomatic relations for the UML into the future and help to open opportunities in new markets.

Proposals for the Universal Mercantile League

Research Proposals
With growing expertise in large-scale logistics and xenological consulting helping to reduce the friction of expanding markets over species boundries, it is possible that interplanetary trade could see a massive surge, given time to develop new products, improve efficiency in the production of planetary specialties, and continued improvement of shipping and logistical methods to handle the increase in trade. Continued work into basic physics would have obvious military applications, and help permit future refinement of Gnolam understanding of the basic forces of the universe. Refinement of optronic computing should bring improvements in both consumer and military optronics, helping social stability and efficiency and allowing for a more powerful generation of targeting computers. Finally, research into cybernetics and advanced robotics should both have obvious industrial applications and allow for the development of advanced powered armor for Gnolam troops.
Please vote between Galactic Trading, Tachyon Physics, Optronics, and Cybertechnics.

Appropriations- Local Security
Modernising the security services of the various League member states is likely to be a very long-term project accomplished first on the most developed worlds, and one that will be a significant expense. Still, perhaps local policymakers feel the need to ensure their security against foreign espionage.
Please vote yea or nay on whether we should start building Global DNA Scanners to shore up local security ratings and start boosting our empire security rating, at least on our more developed worlds.

Appropriations and Policy- LIIS
The Assembly has the chance to reconsider staffing levels and policy for LIIS.
Please vote yea or nay on a new field team for LIIS. Please vote yea or nay on approving basic intelligence-gathering missions, diverting some teams from counterintelligence.

Local Investment- Eydin
Once the gravity generation infrastructure on Eydin is complete, investment could go one of several directions on the planet. Developing the proper chemical industries and industrial fusion infrastructure to effectively support local agriculture and industry would help boost local productivity, while the potential exists for the establishment of a series of research complexes on Eydin's moon. Establishment of a new Naval base would help support expanded Naval operations and help protect the planet against potential Antaran incursions.
Please vote on whether we should focus on industrial and agricultural improvements, lunar research, or a naval base on Eydin first.

Migration- Eglein to Skeggi
Recruitment of new colonists on Eglein to help with the settlement of Skeggi may at least temporarily relieve social pressures on Eglein and accelerate development of the new world.
Please vote yea or nay on taking time to build a civil transport on Eglein to send to Skeggi.

The continued growth of the League has brought prosperity to most of its people, but has also begun to bring growing challenges as well. With luck, the growing prosperity shall more than outweigh the challenges, although this remains to be seen.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 30, 2020

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Cat Mattress posted:

Honestly they feel like they'd keep the System Prime, System II, System III convention because beep boop we are the space robots

But, going with the theme you had with "Origin", then how about "Vector", "Impulse", "Celerity", "Momentum", etc. Sciencey terms that are evocative of the Meklar empire's expansion into the galaxy.

Go ahead and consider our confirmed Meklar colony world in Neptunus to be named 'Limit', if you please.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

News All Day Network posted:

-states that with the current understanding of xenobiology and genetic manipulation, it won't be long until Nutris products can be found in every home across the known galaxy-

Tech: Galactic Trading

Nutris Internal Memo posted:

NO.

The DNA Scanner is not there so that the security auditor can build a secret shadow army of clones in the asteroid blacksites. That makes no sense at all.

STOP ASKING.

-Management

Yea on DNA Scanners, Yea on new LIIS team, counterintelligence only

-heavy investment in Eydin, despite the outcry surrounding the roe farm S-55 incident. Our Nutris corporate liaison assures us that security measures on the facilities are being revised and that all affected parties have been duly compensated-

Industrial and agricultural improvements on Eydin

Also, Yea on shifting the pops around

Suggested Advert Jingle, Denied by the Nutris Department of Xenomarketing posted:

~Man-Flan☆~
A jiggle that warms your heart!
~Man-Flan☆~
A taste that blows your mind apart!
~Man-Flan☆~
Now safe for humans to eat~

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nweismuller posted:

Go ahead and consider our confirmed Meklar colony world in Neptunus to be named 'Limit', if you please.

I also added some names to the other Meklar planets, if you don't mind. If you get better ideas I can always replace them.

Research proposals: Cybertechnics

Vice Magnate Boorin posted:

With the establishment of new colony worlds and our new insights into gnolam and xeno minds, we are on the verge on trebling and trebling our trading capacities. We need to be ready for this. To fully take advantage of increased trade, we need to first step up our ability to produce trade goods.

Local security: Yea; however this goes after the physical security afforded by orbital defense systems.

LIIS: Yea and nay, respectively. One new team per new colonized planet, at least until worlds begin to get global scanners and other dystopian mass surveillance tools.

Eydin: Naval base. A lot has been invested in this world, and it has to be protected accordingly.

Eglein to Skeggi: Yea. Planets generally develop a lot faster if they start from Pop 2 instead of Pop 1.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

For research, I'm going to say Galactic Trading, because really, is there any other choice? :homebrew:

For security, Yes on scanners, because the humans not only keep spying on us, they keep sending the same motherfuckers. Next time we catch 'em, we should just sit on the spy. That way the humans have to keep paying a salary to someone they can't actually use. If we can't just sit on that rear end in a top hat forever, gently caress it, send 'em to the firing squads. Although I do not know the benefits of just executing spies instead of sitting on them forever. Seems like it's not as good, really, because once a spy is dead, their bosses don't have to pay them anymore, but a spy that you've got in a cage isn't doing them any good either. I'm not sure how captured spies still draw a paycheck, but eh, not my problem.

For if we should get new teams, I'm going to vote more teams like I always do, and spy on those motherfuckers because turnabout is fair play. I swear, it's like we give them back their spy and that rear end in a top hat immediately turns around and starts trying to dig into our poo poo again.

For local investment on Eydin, I vote industrial and agricultural improvements. The moon lab is a nice chunk of research, but it'll get done faster if we get the other infrastructure up and running. It doesn't have a ton of value, either, due to being Poor and not being on any border. Shimari and Guad have things pretty well on lockdown, although both would have to worry about incusions from two directions. Still, an outpost is only one command point, and it's pretty sturdy all things considered. It's not going to hold off someone who wants to gently caress with us, but it will discourage casual invasions (and, of course, is more than enough to repel pirates).

For migration, yes to moving them. It'll take a little time to build the transports, but not that much, and as noted, it'll help deal with that population unit contributing gently caress-all to their home world and accelerate the new colony. A second person on a planet can really help things along!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
As ever, Cat Mattress, thanks for your compiled survey results. Looks like you may have missed the report on Human colony names from the Enforcer's scouting mission back in the 2000-2025 update. Saliba II is the colony world of Ozymandias, Saliba Prime is the colony world of Samson, Sarti II is the colony world of New Babylon, and Horne III is the colony world of Glory, for the next time you update your compilation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MechaCrash posted:

For research, I'm going to say Galactic Trading, because really, is there any other choice? :homebrew:

For security, Yes on scanners, because the humans not only keep spying on us, they keep sending the same motherfuckers. Next time we catch 'em, we should just sit on the spy. That way the humans have to keep paying a salary to someone they can't actually use. If we can't just sit on that rear end in a top hat forever, gently caress it, send 'em to the firing squads. Although I do not know the benefits of just executing spies instead of sitting on them forever. Seems like it's not as good, really, because once a spy is dead, their bosses don't have to pay them anymore, but a spy that you've got in a cage isn't doing them any good either. I'm not sure how captured spies still draw a paycheck, but eh, not my problem.

Another use of captured spies is using them as a way to tilt the scale in negotiations for other things where they don't seem to see things our way. Like for renewing a research treaty, for example.

nweismuller posted:

As ever, Cat Mattress, thanks for your compiled survey results. Looks like you may have missed the report on Human colony names from the Enforcer's scouting mission back in the 2000-2025 update. Saliba II is the colony world of Ozymandias, Saliba Prime is the colony world of Samson, Sarti II is the colony world of New Babylon, and Horne III is the colony world of Glory, for the next time you update your compilation.

Updated the text file.

It's basically just a big dump of wikicode (which is how it gets to use the images and styling from the official moo wiki). Then edit some random article, replace the content with the text file, hit preview (not save! that would be vandalism), use Firebug to remove the background image (which would look bad when compositing), and take several screenshots while scrolling, compositing them together.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I know we can use captured spies as bargaining chips for other things. That's one of the things nuMOO did with diplomacy that I really liked: you don't have to trade tech for tech, you can trade tech for other concessions. Like "I will give you this pile of money for this new shield" or "teach me how to make this weapon and I will give back your spies."

But my point is, don't do that. They clearly can't stop throwing this spy at us, so gently caress it, they can't have him back. At all. Ever. Unless it's in a pine box.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It just means we get to sell them the same guy several times, I don't see the problem.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Tech: Cybertronics

Yea on DNA Scanners, Yea on new LIIS team, counterintelligence only

Industrial and agricultural improvements on Eydin

Yea on shifting the pops around.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Cat Mattress posted:

It just means we get to sell them the same guy several times, I don't see the problem.

Yeah, I'm not too torn up over the repeating contributions by the RIA to our operating budget. I'll get more tense if we catch them at more than basic infiltration.

turol
Jul 31, 2017

Cat Mattress posted:

"You don't come here for hunting spying, do you?"

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Blue Horizon Shipping Lines posted:

Industrial Mass Drivers, Revolutionising Logistics!

Following a fruitful partnership with our friends at Drevner Mass Drivers, Blue Horizon Shipping Lines are pleased to reveal the revolutionary next step for interplanetary shipping:
Industrial Mass Drivers!

Introduction:

These facilities are installed at key locations in every settled system, equipped with an array of mass drivers scaled for standard BHSL reinforced shipping containers, and manned with teams of highly skilled staff able to plot a trajectory to anywhere within the same solar system with pinpoint accuracy.

Key advantages:

*Shipping on a budget!
Industrial mass drivers is the most cost efficient shipping method ever devised with prices as low as one tenth per standard shipping container compared to conventional methods.

*Security!
Once launched, the container has neither a heat signature nor a running engine that can be tracked, and are therefore virtually impossible to intercept.

*Steady flow!
Tired of paying for warehouses and cargo handling for those large bulk shipments?
With BHSL industrial mass driver deliveries your incoming goods come in a steady stream one container at a time, matching your pace of production. A whole new meaning to just in time logistics.

*Simply convenient!
With just a small landing zone next to your business, your goods just appear, right on your doorstep.

Blue Horizon Shipping Lines: The skies are clear for shipping.

BHSL, Internal Epansion Plans: Project Pendulum posted:

Project Pendulum: the next step in Galactic Trading

Two part solution to BHSL mass driver network's inability to preform interstellar transports.

1: Establish cargo terminals at each relevant hyperlane jump-point, each equipped with the standard industrial mass driver array, and magnetic deceleration funnels to receive incoming payloads.

2: Pendulum class Cargo transports. Large capacity, hyperdrive equipped ships with minimal sublight drive systems, just maneuvering thrusters, nothing more. These ships travel back and forth between the cargo terminals at each end of the given hyperlane, linking the mass driver networks of both solar systems together.

BHSL, Internal Epansion Plans: Eydin posted:

Establish a mass driver facility on Eydin ASAP in anticipation of the growing industrial and agricultural sectors there.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Nian Bortis, to Bortis Shipping and Logistics executive staff posted:

Existing launch and cargo-handling infrastructure is going to be entirely inadequate with the growing volume of galactic trade. And if we don't act now, Blue Horizon gaining a march on us for use of mass drivers for in-system cargo delivery means they'll eat our dinners from off our plate. I've run the numbers on what they're going to do, and I am certain it is the next step in the logistics business.

... ongoing debates in League member state legislatures on Val about increased spending on security measures. The traditional unpopularity of such measures is counterbalanced in this case by a growing perception...

Yea on starting work on local security measures.

Recruitment advertisement posted:

Exciting opportunities are open in LIIS for patriotic people hoping to protect the League's citizens. Training available in transspecies cultural study, signals analysis, physical security, networking, and more. Inquire today.

Yea on recruiting a new field team, counterintelligence only.

Overheard at a BS&L tea dispenser posted:

Sounds like we're beginning to get a lot of orders for shipping grav generator parts to Eydin, and some for fusion plants. I'm thinking they'll want even more fusion plants with the grav generators sucking down energy...

Industrial and agricultural expansion.

Recruitment advertisement on Eglein posted:

A new life on a new colony! Employer-subsidised transport to Skeggi is available today with a six-year contract on arrival. A rapidly expanding new colony with opportunities in a growing economy. Sign up today for a better life!

Yea on transporting the population.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 9, 2021

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

turol posted:

"You don't come here for hunting spying, do you?"

Of course, it's entirely possible his job is to be just inept enough to get caught while the real action team slips past the checkpoint...

(No, as far as I'm aware that's not a thing you can deliberately do in nuMOO, although I am now wondering how it rolls on spy checks and if there's a way to fudge it...)

Glaive-Guisarme
Jun 8, 2020

Polearms, everywhere.

Apocrypha Engineering, Product Viability Meeting posted:

<Marketing> "We need...new markets! Ever since the Shield technology imports have started, we've seen trade...but we need to bring more to it."
<Spacecraft> "We need to broaden th e idea of products between the two of us; we should be able to export some of our colonization support craft or repair drones."
<Power Systems> "We should look more at the building blocks; at their ideas of modularity. We can work those into our next drive system, and then we'd have more refueling options in mid..."

Apocrypha votes for Galactic Trade. Soon, my robo-miners, but we're Gnolam. Get the money first.

Apocrypha, Memo to Authentication & Validation Department posted:

We are aware of your frustration at the number of password resets you have to deal with on a daily basis. Requiring biopsies as part of the reset process, h owever, is excessive. Request for new protocols DENIED. Permanently.

Nay to DNA scanners, but, honestly, the LIIS has been doing good at paying for itself. We can give them one more team. Let's keep ransoming that spy back forever.

Efficiency Review Board, Apocrypha posted:

<HR> "...Even still, the recruitment looks to be a...little out of hand. We've grown twenty percent in headcount over the last year-"
<Recruitment>"And it's insufficient. We have the tools and capital now to continue production at this pace. All we need is permission, and not to exceed 25% headcount growth over two quarters to allow for acceleration. Furthermore, there is a wide array of personnel who have, ah, discontent with th eir current employment to draw from...."

Let's go ahead and keep bulking up the Gnolam Empire; Agricultural/Industrial Expansion for Eydin, and Yea for civil transports from Eglein to Skeggi. In fact, let's keep exporting people from Eglein.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'm going to wrap the voting up here and play through the update; thanks for all your votes. :)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

... was reached yesterday by the court hearing the trademark infringement suit by Rainbow Optical against Ston Precision Computing. The court found against Ston Precision Computing, finding that the branding of the Ston Rainbow infringed on the 'Rainbow' trademark of Rainbow Optical in the computing domain. The court ordered that Ston Precision Computing rebrand the Ston Rainbow and pay damages of...

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Growing Pressures

Republican negotiators continued to press for free military and colonial access to UML space and continued to be rebuffed, a matter which flared into a minor diplomatic incident in 2076. Still, despite this, continued ties of open trade and long-standing friendship kept relations between League and Republic quite strong.

The formal establishment of offices of cultural specialists deeply-versed in Human and Meklar cultures as advisors to League diplomats in 2077 helped cement hopes that the League's strong position of friendship with the Republic and the Combine would continue into the future. With cultural specialists to advise, League diplomats would be better able to present their case in the best possible light for their audience. Cultural specialists also proved valuable to business negotiators and marketers in private enterprises seeking new markets and closer cooperation with foreign businesses.

Miract continued to be a haven for pirates and exiles, and in 2079 the Enforcer bombarded pirate havens in Miract while pirate ships once again tested the defenses of the Shimari system. League forces soon gained victory both at Miract and Shimari, and the travel lanes through Miract were cleared once again for a time.

The dry garden world of Skeggi in the Taurio system was colonised in 2081, marking the ninth major inhabited world of the Universal Mercantile League. The League was slowly spreading to make use of valuable worlds within its borders.

Investigations by LIIS led to a series of arrests of RIA agents on Val in 2084, who were repatriated to the United Republic in exchange for indemnity payments. The RIA had been attempting to cultivate information sources on Val, and the overall diplomatic fallout was minimal.

In 2088, Blue Horizon Shipping Lines unveiled plans for in-system cargo shipping via industrial mass drivers, using recieving ports at the edge of a system to load cargo containers onto conventional shipping to transfer along the hyperspace conduit network. Other logistics firms scrambled to compete in the new technological paradigm, while manufacturers looking at the prospect of increased interplanetary trade volumes worked to innovate at quality and efficiency to supply wider export markets. Almost at the same time, a drastic redesign of factory ship machinery supported by advanced drones was marketed by Apocrypha Engineering, allowing for faster construction of deep-space engineering projects.

Not only does Galactic Trading unlock Space Ports, which are a nice income-booster, it also allows factory ships to be upgraded cheaply to work at twice their prior rate. This will be handy as time passes.

Human intellectual property negotiators approached their Gnolam counterparts in early 2096, seeking access to Meklar-derived oceanic cooling systems for research platforms in exchange for Human ion cannon designs. These ion cannons used a particle accelerator to spew a steady barrage of alpha particles at a target in a sustained beam, causing impact and heating damage over time. Although ion cannon could be potentially devastating and were easily adjusted on target during their sustained firing process, their stream of charged particles was relatively easily deflected by electromagnetic shielding systems.

The Fusion Beam is the first of the 'beam' weapons, which fire with great accuracy and deal several 'ticks' of damage over time. Each 'tick' is individually resisted by shield damage reduction, however, which means beams tend to be more sensitive to enemy shields than other weapon types.

Logistics firms headquartered on Val frantically stepped up their pace of operations over the mid 2090s, while Motherlode Mining and Metals opened a vast new mine complex on Teziv in 2096. The expanded mining operations by MM&M were coupled with growth of heavy industrial firms on Teziv, building an infrastructure of foundries and factories across the planet to further feed its ravenous appetite for construction.

Einar has hit level 5, the highest possible leader level. We won't be getting any better income bonus to Val than what he gives now.

Human expatriate communities on Tessin were rocked by scandal when it proved that a significant fraction of the Humans on Tessin were actually covert RIA agents, arrested and deported in 2097 after the United Republic arranged for indemnity payments for the espionage. The deportation happened almost in tandem with a series of negotiations for commercial loans by Human financial institutions to Gnolam trading firms seeking ready capital to support continued trade operations with the General Oversight Combine.

Commercial negotiations with the General Oversight Combine in 2097 not only allowed for the continued flow of goods, but for the exchange of biotechnological data between Meklars and Gnolams. While Gnolams shared information on Gnolam neurology- which the Meklars hoped to apply to refining the design of neural gel- Meklars shared designs for cultured cloning environments originally intended for rapid manufacture of neural gel, but which could- with some effort- be adapted to the growth of replacement Gnolam organs from cell cultures taken the individual who was to receive the new organs. Not only could organ transplants easily allow for treatment of various diseases and injuries, replacement of failing organs was a relatively more cost-effective way to reduce the toll of aging than the long-established anti-aging genetic treatments used by the top of the Gnolam economic elite. Although the life extension permitted by cultured organ replacement was less dramatic than that permitted by full genetic rejuvenation, nonetheless as these treatments began to be used they allowed for longer healthy lifespans in their recipients.

By 2098, Ston Precision Computing, by now recovered from earlier financial difficulties brought about by the damages it had to pay in a trademark infringement suit filed by Rainbow Optical, had clearly become the market leader in optical computing exports to the United Republic. Even despite the deportations from Tessin a year ago, relatively significant Human minority communities had established themselves on Tessin and Teziv, largely working as consultants to Ston Precision Computing and other Human-facing exporters, helping these exporters better appeal to Republican markets.

Following counterpiracy operations in Miract in 2099, a fairly extensive rogue colony in Miract was abandoned, many of the Gnolams there resettling back on Eglein. Although this bolstered Eglein's population, this did little to help the already intensifying social pressures on Eglein. The Universal Mercantile League, although still fairly stable, was beginning to strain its ability to govern larger colonies.

Known Space and the Universal Mercantile League as of 2100

Even with the lapse of the massive loan payments from Human interests which had previously bolstered the League, generation of available investment capital has increased slightly since 25 years ago. Innovation has seen dramatic growth, partially driven by Arne Stollen's restless genius providing a steady stream of minor inventions which have been of use in multiple fields, and partly by growing populations and infrastructure. The Enforcer is returning from its most recent counterpiracy cruise.

Val's economy has seen continued growth and prosperity as the hub of the richest and most advanced of the three galactic civilisations in direct Gnolam contact, easily supporting the added burden of increased staffing and sophisticated analysis and training techniques for local security forces and of the operation of various oceanic research platforms operating vast parallel computer banks cooled by radiators sunk deep into the sea. The local population now exceeds 12 billion once again, while construction of several major mass driver cargo ports operated by several different logistics firms is well under way both here and at shipping stations near the hyperspace conduit routes to Kakari and Hoshi.

The environment of Stevas has changed dramatically from when it was first colonised. Now, rather than merely a technically life-bearing world beset by constant life-threatening temperatures, it has become a true garden world- if, perhaps, one overly beset by torrential rains and violent weather systems over much of its surface area. With better agricultural yields and varieties, the old extremophilic mold and fungi cultivation farms once used to supplement the local diet have been abandoned for lack of market. The population has grown, now nearly reaching six billion. Local security forces here match the standards of training, equipment, and staffing set by Val.

Fungal Farms are automatically removed once a planet is terraformed up to an environment they are no longer valid for.

Tessin's population now exceeds five billion, with growing heavy industrial and agricultural sectors supporting the further development of the planet. Agricultural chemical industries support proper management of soil chemistry, bolstering crop yields, while development of a large-scale fusion power infrastructure is under way. Although local gravity is still punishing- save to the local minority Human community, one of the two largest in the League- it is anticipated that construction shall begin on gravity generation plants once the power infrastructure to support their power draw is in place.

Although emigration of discontented elements of Eglein's population to Skeggi temporarily solved many of its social problems, continued natural growth and the settlement of exiles from Miract here have allowed new poor and discontented communities to grow here. A new Naval base now orbits Eglein, while the establishment of agricultural chemical industries has allowed the formal employment in agriculture here to drop to just over 100 million while maintaining simlar yields even as heavy industries here have greatly expanded to support rapid planetary development. Eglein supports the largest single Human permanent expatriate community in the League, a fact which has encouraged local League member states to invest heavily in modernising their security services- doubtless the bulk of the Humans here are honest citizens of the League, but the possibility of RIA agents hidden amongst them cannot be discounted.

Navok's population now exceeds 3 billion, with a growing heavy industrial sector still hampered by poor access to local raw materials. The establishment of lunar research installations over Navok has helped cement the world as the largest center of scientific and technological innovation in the League behind Val, while the League Navy has been working on establishing a Naval base in orbit to defend the world while serving as a training, recruitment, and logistics center.

Eydin's population has grown to over seven billion, many of whom now live in less-prosperous 'shadow communities' with poor access to the most modern technology. Large-scale fusion plants now supply cheaper energy to industry and consumers, while gravity generation infrastructure counteracts the local surface gravity to create a comfortable environment for Gnolams, helping local happiness and productivity. Local agricultural chemical industries are growing, helping to supply products needed to bolster crop yields to greater and greater portions of the local agricultural sector. For the bulk of the population, life here has grown better in many ways, but the benefits of growth are no longer effectively universal here.

Teziv's population has exceeded four billion, with its agricultural workforce now exceeding 100 million to support growing demand for food on the planet. Expanded mining operations and newly-established fusion power infrastructure on the planet bolster the local industrial base, and construction of gravity generation plants on Teziv has progressed relatively rapidly, with the network soon to go into active operation. It seems likely that the local industrial sector shall only expand in the future.

Sluyen now reaches nearly five billion persons in population, the growing population supported by increased agricultural yields made possible by modern soil chemistry management. Sluyen trails somewhat behind Tessin in population and in prosperity, and lacks a similar Human community, but nonetheless is very similar to Tessin's conditions in many ways.

Skeggi's population is now nearly three billion, with heavy investment into development of the new world ensuring a healthy economy with basic modern infrastructure in place for agriculture, industry, research, commerce, government, and justice. The local League members states have begun mustering local military security forces as a hedge for local security.

Increased staffing and operational efficiency in LIIS and better support from local security services on Val and Stevas have begun to pay off, in the estimation of some LIIS analysts. Although they believe the League is far from perfectly secure against covert operations, nonetheless they are more confident of their ability to seek out and shut down rival covert agency operations in the League.

The specific mechanics of espionage are not very visible, but nonetheless the basic process appears to involve matching the experience level (from 1 to 5) of the spy conducting an offensive mission against the security level (likewise from 1 to 5) of the mission's target, either an empire as a whole or a specific colony, with security levels going up once security bonuses for an empire or colony exceed certain threshholds. You can see our current empire-wide security level at the top of the screen as 'level 2' next to a shield and lock icon- increasing average planetary security levels and LIIS staffing have finally pushed us out of level 1 security. With an empire security of 2, all our planetary security ratings will be at least 2- and pushing average planetary security levels up may eventually allow our planets that have Global DNA Scanners to hit level 3. Val's current security rating of 4 is higher than it has ever been- our current security situation has definitely improved.

Medical and engineering research into cybernetic control systems and advanced robotic drones making use of onboard optronic processing has almost produced ready to market products- anticipated to be a major boon to League industry and League prosperity. The League's overall level of scientific advancement is clearly superior to both Republic and Combine by a comfortable margin, helping support the League's continued economic growth.

Proposals for the Universal Mercantile League

Research Proposals
The continued growth of the complexity of Gnolam science has begun to become an increasing challenge for ensuring that scientists and academics stay abreast of the current state of the art, while some analysts believe a stronger grounding in sciences and rational philosophy for the general population would help provide a background that ensures a culture of innovation endures. Addressing these challenges may well be a priority for Gnolam educational ventures. Improved work in in basic field physics and study of FTL tachyons is likely to have military applications, not least in improving current mass drivers, as well as laying the groundwork for further refining Gnolam understanding of gravitational manipulation. Further refinement of optronics will improve consumer optronics, entertainment, and communications that should help ensure a more contented, stable populace, as well as helping allow for even more powerful Naval targeting computers. Improvements in spaceframe engineering could be of dramatic importance to future Naval designs, as could improvements in materials science to even further strengthen durability. Research into advanced drive systems may allow new, more powerful starship drives, a boon to Naval and civilian shipping.
Please vote between Teaching Methods, Tachyon Physics, MAGNETO GRAVITICS, Advanced Construction, Super Alloys, ION FISSION, or the GENERAL MILITARY RESEARCH PROGRAM. Voting for a choice in all caps is implicitly also a vote for its prerequisite- Tachyon Physics for Magneto Gravitics and Fusion Weapons for Ion Fission. The 'General Military Research Program' will aim to pick up all three of Tachyon Physics, Advanced Construction, and Super Alloys, which should be firmly enough to justify a new generation of Naval ship designs, including our first larger designs enabled by Advanced Engineering.

Armed Private Vessels
Both Axelsson Interstellar Trading and Stollen Innovations have, for their own reasons, a desire to commission armed vessels to operate headquarters from. Axelsson Interstellar Trading wants the ability to comprehensively handle potential pirate threats in the future, while Stollen Innovations wants to use a modified counterpiracy frigate as a testbed for some of their more unusual experiments.
Please vote on whether we should churn out a couple of frigates we can stick our ship-borne leaders on safely far behind our lines. Neither are exactly set up primarily as combat leaders, but need a ship to operate from- and a frigate is a lot more durable in the event of something going wrong than our factory ships.

General Investment Proposals
Future investment capital could productively be sunk into several different worlds. Focusing on basic power and agricultural chemical industries on some of the newer worlds could speed their development, while heavy investment in Val could ensure it is ready to assemble new colony missions soon. Investment in Navok to overcome the challenges of its limited resource base could be of some value, as could a heavy focus on establishing Teziv as the next major industrial center of the League.
Please vote between focusing our money first on fusion plants and soil enrichment as needed, development of Val, development of Navok, or development of Teziv.

Investment Proposals- Naval Versus Commercial
Proposals for development of Naval bases on Eydin, Tessin, Sluyen, and Teziv would draw funding and construction resources away from proposals to further develop modernised cargo ports and expanded export industries on those worlds. Whether the Assembly should make the appropriations to support the new Naval bases yet is in debate.
Please vote between star bases or spaceports first on the listed worlds.

Although the League has grown in strength and prosperity, this has not come without growing challenges on several of its worlds. Whether the League can maintain its promise for all its citizens is an open question.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 19, 2021

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While I am unclear on the exact mechanics of how spying works, it is an undeniable fact that spy experience only goes up. The Human Alpha spy keeps getting caught for now, sure. But eventually, he'll be too good and we won't be able to stop him before he does whatever it is he's trying to do. Far better to just sit on him from here, I think, so the humans can only send green morons after us, if they can send anybody at all. Note that I am not advocating for the firing squad yet, just maybe let's not sell them back this guy who's growing in skill. If somewhat slowly, given how often we catch him...

For voting, while it's tempting to go for teaching methods, I am going for GENERAL MILITARY RESEARCH PROGRAM for a new array of technologies. The fact that mass drivers ignore shields isn't too important at this stage of the game, except against Antarans, but the fact that they maintain full damage over their entire range means that they'll be easier to use in a standoff capacity without worry about merely tickling the targets to death.

I vote give the leaders their own frigates. I figure that if the leaders are all in frigates that move as a single fleet to snuff out pirate activities, they'll be safe enough, and are unlikely to encounter anything that's a threat. Pirates can throw bigger ships at us eventually, but I don't think they can do anything bigger than a Destroyer right now, and a pirate Destroyer is no match for even two frigates made by an actual player. As a bonus, having two bombs means you don't have to worry as much about whiffing the base destruction. It can still happen, obviously, but it's less likely, and you only need one of them to hit.

For general investment, I say fusion plants and soil enrichment as needed. Getting those crappy new colonies up to speed better will help make them contribute more quickly. The already relatively developed planets should have less of an issue building any remaining infrastructure, and the major reason to have at least one world packing top of the line everything is to churn out ships for a war. And you don't have one of those at the moment, and probably won't for a while, as you aren't going to go picking any fights, and are strong enough that nobody is going to go picking fights with you.

For the investment proposal, I am not going to go with the :homebrew: answer this time and say Star Base instead. The idea being that yes, a spaceport will get us more money per planet, and more money is always more gooderer, especially for us, but our Command Point total is kind of crap, and I would like to get that up in case we suddenly feel the need or desire to field a real navy. The only cost in building up some ships is opportunity cost anyway, although you have to shovel money into refits when those happen. drat shame you can't do the "refit ship" thing like in Master of Orion 2, but at least this is instant and requires fewer facilities.

On the subject of war, I am still amazed that this version of Master of Orion makes doing that take so long, relatively speaking. You didn't get the ability to invade other planets until past turn 200, which I can see being a deliberate choice to make the player seriously consider colonizing even the less desirable but unclaimed worlds rather than start a war, because there are four ways to get a planet from someone else: acquire it via negotiation, bomb it clean and recolonize it, invade it, or just mind control everybody from orbit. Invasion can't be done without the transports, and only Elerians can mind control out of the box, and even then doing so is even further down the tech tree, because you need a Battleship to do it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Sure, as a Medium Poor Desert, Miract Prime isn't exactly the catch of the century; but let's just settle it because these pirates are getting ridiculous. We also need to settle Varinia and Parmag ASAP; once those are secured then we can allow open borders.

Research: Teaching Methods will allow to expedite the rest of the research faster.

Armed Private Vessels: Yea

General Investment Proposals: Fusion plants first, soil enrichment second; let's develop Navok a bit while Val can continue churning out colony ships. (Part of the reason for this choice is that if you get enough production bonuses, then you can terraform a planet relatively fast; and that's even better than soil enrichment unless the planet is already at Terran level. We can terraform Stevas Eydin, Skeggi, Teziv, and Eglein to Terran; and Navok to Tundra.)

Investment Proposals- spaceports first for everybody, once they're there they can make building the military base a faster process (as in, with the extra money they bring, construction can be hurried up).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Cat Mattress posted:

We also need to settle Varinia and Parmag ASAP; once those are secured then we can allow open borders.

I thought AI players would cheerfully settle uncolonised planets in systems you already have a colony in? That means we need to backfill even more before open borders are safe.