Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lpzie posted:

my lease on a a honda civic (paying like 400 usd/month) ends on july 4th. wife needs a car just to go to work (1 mil away) and campus (3 mil away). we do groceries once a month. that's probably all the use it'll get. def. want something i can get rid of with a few years and that doesn't cost so drat much per month.

Can you fill out the template in the OP? Sounds like a used Prius would be good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

where does the A/C go???

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dunno, sounds like it's time for a Miata.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It'd be very, very hard to go wrong with needing a car that little, since fuel and maintenance would be basically zero. Buy the cheapest used car you like, drive it for two years, sell it for what you paid or drat near it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Lpzie posted:

my lease on a a honda civic (paying like 400 usd/month) ends on july 4th. wife needs a car just to go to work (1 mil away) and campus (3 mil away). we do groceries once a month. that's probably all the use it'll get. def. want something i can get rid of with a few years and that doesn't cost so drat much per month.

Are you never going to use the car any more than that, or are you OK with a rental when you do?

Do you park near an outlet? 110V would be fine.

If you can answer "yes" to both those questions, you can probably find an early-2010s Nissan Leaf for $5.5-6.5k. The batteries will be half clapped out, so you're looking at under 50 miles of range on a charge, but that's more than enough for what you're describing. Charging on a glorified extension cord is very, very slow, but again, you don't need much range. And, not having a conventional engine or transmission means they're incredibly cheap to run - consumables are basically tires, brakes, and maybe A/C recharge now that they're getting close to ten years old.

Guy Freeman
Aug 31, 2006
Proposed Budget: Preferably under 10k, hard cap of 12k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan or Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Mostly commuting and errands. Expecting to put on under 10k miles per year.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, Fuel Economy.

I junked my 2007 Hyundai Sonata recently, 3rd major repair job in as many years. I've been driving my partner's 2008 Honda Civic to commute, but I'll need to purchase another car for myself relatively soon. I have very little knowledge about cars, or buying them, but I have browsed the last ~20ish pages and can assume that I'll be recommended a Prius. Do you all have any heuristics for a conversion between price and mileage? I'm finding a lot of options, but the variety of models, prices and mileages is making comparing them pretty complicated.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pretty much all of the major pricing tools give you a conversion between mileage and age, so that's not super relevant. It KBB/Edmunds/NADA algos are accurate and generally widely used.

The Prius has been made in three relevant generations - the Prius Gen 2 (XW20) 2003-2009, Prius Gen 3 (XW30) 2009-2015, and Prius Gen 4 (XW50) 2015-onward. Practically speaking, all Prius models have been the same in terms of drivetrain, so there's no real difference in reliability between any of the three generations. (The Prius C is a separate, shittier car that should be ignored for all practical purposes, and the Prius V is a strange, unloved fat wagon Prius) The Gen 3 has a strange interior layout that is not very space efficient, and the Gen 4 is loving ugly as poo poo on the outside, but other than that, the only difference is more standard features in newer model years (stuff like bluetooth integration and various semi-active safety features) and minor improvements in performance.

General trim nomenclature changed over time. For a while in Gen 2 and in to Gen 3 there were numbered packages (One, Two, Three, Four, Five) that included various fancier infotainment, leather/fake leather, heated seats, sunroof, the weird active ventilation system, park assist as well. I'm not gonna bother looking up what was in each one, but basically higher number packages = fancier. I think partway through Gen 3 and definitely in Gen 4 they went back to standard Toyota nomenclature - L, LE, XLE, Touring, Limited, where as you go up that ladder the car gets progressively better appointed. For instance, right now the Limited gets LED headlights, rain-sensing wipers, keyless start/stop etc, a fancier radio, power seats, etc. that aren't available in the LE. The feature that most people want that is somewhat intermittently available is bluetooth audio for phone calls; that was not included at every trim level for the duration of Gen 3 and was I believe only available in the short-lived Touring Gen 2s.

For most people's purposes on this forum, most Gen 2s are getting a bit long in the tooth and most are well below the common $10K target price. Late model Gen 2s are typically around $5-7K with 100K-150K miles. In general, late Gen 2s are available with lower mileage for a lower price (MY2009) versus Gen 3s, but Gen 3s are going to be of course newer and have some more features. It looks like a Gen 3 with about a hundred thousand miles on it is very doable in your budget. I don't know where you are located, but in the Prius search in particular it's usually helpful to open up to big metro markets (so if you're in say, Harrisburg, PA, you should be searching Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC and Philly as well).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

One thing I’ve noticed with the last two cars I’ve bought:

I’ll bring the edmunds or kbb or truecar valuation of my trade-in and the car I want to buy. Here’s what I’ve seen happen:

1) “oh, well (insert whatever I brought in, kbb, edmunds, etc) is usually (underpriced if it’s the car I want to buy, overpriced if it’s my trade-in” so we don’t take this amount at face-value.”

2) they show me their internal car valuation website/program. They’ve quoted black book and some other sites I’ve never heard of before, but it’s always in their favor.

So-what’s the response here? Obviously they’ve never come to me and said “wow, KBB showed your car is only worth $5000? Well our website shows $7000! Take our money!!!” It just seems ridiculous that all of these websites exist and if the general public is relying on them as a tool to help negotiate that they wouldn’t be worth anything. I guess from the dealer’s side, this is how they’ve countered by using other websites.

Just curious as to what my rebuttal could be in the future.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

"This is what I think the car's worth. If you can't match that price, I'm off to the guy down the street/across town."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nwin posted:

One thing I’ve noticed with the last two cars I’ve bought:

I’ll bring the edmunds or kbb or truecar valuation of my trade-in and the car I want to buy. Here’s what I’ve seen happen:

1) “oh, well (insert whatever I brought in, kbb, edmunds, etc) is usually (underpriced if it’s the car I want to buy, overpriced if it’s my trade-in” so we don’t take this amount at face-value.”

2) they show me their internal car valuation website/program. They’ve quoted black book and some other sites I’ve never heard of before, but it’s always in their favor.

So-what’s the response here? Obviously they’ve never come to me and said “wow, KBB showed your car is only worth $5000? Well our website shows $7000! Take our money!!!” It just seems ridiculous that all of these websites exist and if the general public is relying on them as a tool to help negotiate that they wouldn’t be worth anything. I guess from the dealer’s side, this is how they’ve countered by using other websites.

Just curious as to what my rebuttal could be in the future.

They're free to offer you whatever they want and you're free to take it or leave it. If they actually offered $7k for your $5k car then they're making it up somewhere else on the new car. At the end of the day you, the dealer and KBB are all just random dicks yelling at clouds on the sidewalk.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Get a Carvana quote beforehand. If it's less than what they're giving you, say you'd rather sell to Carvana and come back later. Or they can match and wrap the deal then and there.
Granted the trade valuation is just one step in the dance so they can make it up later.

Ugh. I hate myself because I'm interested in a new used car for no good reason (no 45+ minute commutes to work) other than I want something with better mileage and more comfort. Seriously considered this 2013 MKZ hybrid with 100k the other day. Stop me plz.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nobody here is going to talk you out of buying a newer car merely because you want to if you can afford it and wouldn't rather spend that money on something else. We might talk you out of buying a 100k mile Lincoln, however.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So, how useful are bling spot monitoring systems?
It seems to be one of the big differences between base and higher trims for a number of vehicles (or between 2018 and newer models), and I wonder if it is something that really makes a difference. I can't imagine not checking my blind spot when changing lanes even if it said it was clear, so I wonder how useful it really is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

joepinetree posted:

It seems to be one of the big differences between base and higher trims for a number of vehicles (or between 2018 and newer models), and I wonder if it is something that really makes a difference. I can't imagine not checking my blind spot when changing lanes even if it said it was clear, so I wonder how useful it really is.

Extremely useful. Always check your blind spot, but everyone makes mistakes and it's easy to look and still miss. It's basically a double check to verify you're really, truly clear.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

joepinetree posted:

I was in your shoes when I got my car that has it. You eventually start to trust it, and it is kinda nice to not have to turn your head all the way around to check when the little light is on. Pretty safe to assume that the light means someone is back there, and I don’t change lanes until I can see where that driver went. I do still occasionally check myself when the light isn’t lit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

joepinetree posted:

It saved me a handful of times until I got used to the blindspots on my new car. (not blaming the design of the car, I should have 100% been more aware of my surroundings)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I like them but they've never really saved me from anything. They just save me the trouble of checking the blindspots when it's lit up or beeps on signaling which is admittedly nice. Rear cross traffic is infinitely more valuable to me as in most of those cases, I can't actually see what's coming

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KillHour posted:

We might talk you out of buying a 100k mile Lincoln, however.
Yeah, I know it's more responsible to pay down debt or, like, buy a new AC unit or kitchen cabinets. And it'd mostly be a lateral upgrade with better seats and tech since my current daily has a similar model year.

I'm sure 100k is, like, timing belt replace territory and poo poo.

Orvin posted:

I was in your shoes when I got my car that has it. You eventually start to trust it, and it is kinda nice to not have to turn your head all the way around to check when the little light is on.
My buddy has one of those things and it's great for crazy freeway folks that zip right up next to you or decide to merge last minute despite your lights being on.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Hybrid MKZ’s have timing chains - no belt replacement necessary.:eng101:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Ugh. I hate myself because I'm interested in a new used car for no good reason (no 45+ minute commutes to work) other than I want something with better mileage and more comfort. Seriously considered this 2013 MKZ hybrid with 100k the other day. Stop me plz.

have you like driven any other modern cars or do you perhaps have a family that has only worked for FoMoCo or other absurd brand loyalty? if you really like the MKZ there's nothing really wrong with it, it's a fancy Fusion hybrid and those are tolerably reliable... but there is nothing particularly good about the car.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
I've been driving cars paid for in cash up to this point and the most recent one has developed problems more than its worth, so it's time for a car that doesn't come with (as many) issues. Thankfully I've been saving up enough for this from not having car payments.

Proposed Budget: $15,000
Body Style: 4 door Sedan (Hatchback would be convenient for an upcoming move and possibly in the future but I am leaving just about all furniture behind anyway)
How will you be using the car?: 30-40 minute commute to work, occasional trips of up to 5 hours. I don't usually need to move much around, but passenger space is important (otherwise I'd go for a 2-door).
What aspects are most important to you? Lower maintenance costs and higher MPG. Modern safety features like rear-view camera and blind spot indicators would be great, but I'm used to driving without them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

have you like driven any other modern cars or do you perhaps have a family that has only worked for FoMoCo or other absurd brand loyalty?
Wife has an i3 and my daily is a 2014 Chevy Sonic. Previously had a Saturn sedan and a Chevy Spark (the Spark because I like compact cars).

My original I Like It car was the Niro due to the Prius-like range but those aren't in my budget. As I get older and fatter I realize that the daily 45+ minute commute sucks in the Chevy seats so something entry-level luxe seemed attractive.

The MKZ seemed nicer than the Es250h with decent fuel economy. I know it's a fancier and not exciting Focus but at least the interior is okayish.

It's basically "what gets decent mileage in the $12,000 range".

Toraen posted:

I've been driving cars paid for in cash up to this point and the most recent one has developed problems more than its worth
Is this a candidate for anything else than P-p-p-prius?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 29, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A loving bike is going to be more comfortable than your Sonic. What a dreadful, awful car. Hybrid Toyota Camry Touring/XLE would be my personal pick. The interior is plenty nice for my purposes. Do you want the car to be comfortable, or do you want to rub your dick on the plastics? Either is fine, but they're different priorities. I would still rather drive the ES than the MKZ, not sure why you think the MKZ is better in any way.

Toraen posted:

I've been driving cars paid for in cash up to this point and the most recent one has developed problems more than its worth, so it's time for a car that doesn't come with (as many) issues. Thankfully I've been saving up enough for this from not having car payments.

Proposed Budget: $15,000
Body Style: 4 door Sedan (Hatchback would be convenient for an upcoming move and possibly in the future but I am leaving just about all furniture behind anyway)
How will you be using the car?: 30-40 minute commute to work, occasional trips of up to 5 hours. I don't usually need to move much around, but passenger space is important (otherwise I'd go for a 2-door).
What aspects are most important to you? Lower maintenance costs and higher MPG. Modern safety features like rear-view camera and blind spot indicators would be great, but I'm used to driving without them.

you know the answer already

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A loving bike is going to be more comfortable than your Sonic. What a dreadful, awful car.
I would still rather drive the ES than the MKZ, not sure why you think the MKZ is better in any way.
Lol. Thank you, that really perked up my afternoon with the hilarious truth.

I went from a Spark to a Sonic to give you some sense of where I came from.

The ES in the price range and MY's I looked at still had, like, calculator LCD screens and not much in the way of options. The MKZ at least had car cams and lane sensing. It's all Autotrader window shopping anyway. Though thanks for the Civic Hybrid tip. One more to go into the lookieloo pile.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Is this a candidate for anything else than P-p-p-prius?

Are there particular years you'd recommend/avoid? Dealer near me has 2014 (v2 Hatchback) and 2015 (v3 Wagon) available as used. I see that these models can have braking issues. There's also a recent (6/24/2020) unrelated recall that I'll have to ask the dealer about performing service for.

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 30, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i presume you mean braking issues rather than breaking issues. i also presume you mean the campaign-covered parking brake problem, which you can search for on a specific car on NHTSA's open campaign website. you can search for any campaign on that site to see status, and if it's open that just means you should get it closed out at the dealer as soon as you can.

the Prius V is fairly different from the regular Prius. it's substantially heavier and therefore slower and worse on gas in return for having a taller cargo area. up to you if you want to make that trade

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah, that's what I meant. Just woke up so still a little groggy. The braking issues I'm seeing reported are for the regular brakes, where the complaints say they just failed and allowed the car to hit something. Neither car I'm looking at has any crashes in their history though.

Recall for both is incomplete, but just a software update so not too huge a deal to get done.

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 30, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

where are you seeing these mysterious people who have total brake failure problems because uhhh

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

where are you seeing these mysterious people who have total brake failure problems because uhhh

The ones I'm seeing were here but I always take these reports with a grain of salt ofc. There is an investigation open though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Toyota has already been under extreme scrutiny for "unintended acceleration". Make sure your floormats are actually correct for the car, and are properly secured.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Toyota has already been under extreme scrutiny for "unintended acceleration". Make sure your floormats are actually correct for the car, and are properly secured.

Wasn't the other cause of this, after much investigation, that confused old people were stomping on the accelerator rather than the brake pedal?

I didn't follow it super closely but that whole "scandal" seemed to be extremely overblown and ultimately a lot of user error. Unlike, say, the VW diesel scandal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Toraen posted:

The ones I'm seeing were here but I always take these reports with a grain of salt ofc. There is an investigation open though.

dude: three complaints filed by petitioner out of a vehicle population of 1.1 million

of the complaints posted, again, four complaints out of a vehicle population of approximately 200,000
#4 - maybe some substance
#3 - a person in florida, this was 100% driver error by an old person
#2 - person did not power on the car
#1 - a person in arizona, this was 100% driver error by an old person

i will guarantee, personally, that the toyota prius does not have braking problems

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also true. It's amazing how many morons just stomp their feet indiscriminately and expect the car to stop when they aren't touching the brakes.

I do recall that some of Toyota's code that was scrutinized as part of this was not so good, but I think the primary fault that was assigned to them was that they did not have any logic built into the car to say "if the driver is pressing both the brake and the accelerator at the same time for more than X seconds, close the throttle".

C&D did their own torture test at the time showing that at least with a new car with brakes in good condition, you should still be able to stop in a reasonable distance even with the throttle pegged.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Guinness posted:

Wasn't the other cause of this, after much investigation, that confused old people were stomping on the accelerator rather than the brake pedal?

I didn't follow it super closely but that whole "scandal" seemed to be extremely overblown and ultimately a lot of user error. Unlike, say, the VW diesel scandal.

I have heard four different explanations of the unintended acceleration issue.

1) Old person stomps on the gas instead of the brake
2) Floor mat caught on accelerator
3) Software bug in the car computer
4) Tin whiskers in the car electronics

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Lol. Thank you, that really perked up my afternoon with the hilarious truth.

I went from a Spark to a Sonic to give you some sense of where I came from.

The ES in the price range and MY's I looked at still had, like, calculator LCD screens and not much in the way of options. The MKZ at least had car cams and lane sensing. It's all Autotrader window shopping anyway. Though thanks for the Civic Hybrid tip. One more to go into the lookieloo pile.

Please don't benchrace cars or car interiors. You should look at the normal Fusion hybrid and the Honda Accord hybrid in addition.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i will guarantee, personally, that the toyota prius does not have braking problems

The Prius does have a black-magic "stroke simulator" box that makes regenerative braking feel like normal hydraulic braking, because Toyota's #1 design goal with the Prius has always been to make it as unsurprising as possible. It can go out, and it's expensive to fix. The overall reliability of the Prius's drivetrain is still so much better than a conventional engine and transmission that the expected TCO stays lower than just about any other fossil fuel powered car.

Also, more importantly, even if that magic box goes out, the brakes work in an emergency backup mode. If you stomp hard enough on the pedal, there's still a hydraulic connection straight from your foot to the wheels. This is the same as any other car with a power braking system, and it's mind-boggling how many drivers don't understand this (or traffic laws, or safety, or other basics of how their car works..)

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude: three complaints filed by petitioner out of a vehicle population of 1.1 million

of the complaints posted, again, four complaints out of a vehicle population of approximately 200,000
#4 - maybe some substance
#3 - a person in florida, this was 100% driver error by an old person
#2 - person did not power on the car
#1 - a person in arizona, this was 100% driver error by an old person

I figured this was the case. Most of the complaints I looked at (that bothered to include mileage) occurred suspiciously early for such a serious problem. The specific cars I'm looking at have no history of crashes/brake issues that I can find. I'm not very experienced in looking at these things though, so I really appreciate the second opinion.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I'm somewhat interested in a Toyota 86, but the closest one for a test drive is quite far away from me, so I'm hoping I can get some initial information from you guys before I commit to the long distance trip for a test drive.

Mostly I'm worried about noise. Excessive noise would definitely make me lose interest in the car, and I've seen a lot of reviews that say things like "there's tons of rattles and creaks" and "the road noise can get unbearable". BUT, the reviewers never say if they're comparing these things to other RWD sports cars (which are generally way more luxurious and expensive than the 86 anyway), or to other cars in the same price range. I currently drive a 2018 Kia Ceed, and it's definitely no premium car (basically same price point and similar interior quality to a VW Golf), but the road noise doesn't bother me at all.

So my question is, how bad are noise levels in the Toyota 86 compared specifically to cars like the Golf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nobody is going to be able to give you an adequate answer to that question. you need to drive the car yourself. sorry.