Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I never finished Blood before but the main game's final bosses are two red cultists who turn into some weird stompy demon correct? Because that definitely didn't feel final boss to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Artelier posted:

So I never finished Blood before but the main game's final bosses are two red cultists who turn into some weird stompy demon correct? Because that definitely didn't feel final boss to me.
Post-Mortem is an expansion pack. The "true" final boss is Tchernoborg (big skeleton flesh boy) in Episode 4.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
If anyone wants a copy of Doom 3 (regular) here

3AE95-K5PthreeV-T8Y5E

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Overbite posted:

If anyone wants a copy of Doom 3 (regular) here

3AE95-K5PthreeV-T8Y5E

Got it, cheers.

I had it on disc back in the day but don't remember ever really playing it. I guess lockdown is the time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

aga. posted:

Got it, cheers.

I had it on disc back in the day but don't remember ever really playing it. I guess lockdown is the time.

Be aware that the first few combat sequences are the worst, with imps scripted to spawn behind/above you silently or force-damage you as you open a door, etc. Later on things get better as the devs resort to more standard 'hell-portals from behind' that make a lot of noise so it's actually fun. Relatively.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IronicDongz posted:

it is also true that he hates lots of popular mainstream anime and thinks it's a sick industry tho

e: the actual full quote was
wrt animators making stuff that isn't true to life, has no basis in life etc

I read too fast and got really confused as to why JSJ would say that out of the blue. :downs:

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

HolyKrap posted:

Oh jeez a VR Thief that lets you get creative with what you use as your equipment would be ridiculously good

I'm late on the Thief chat but this reminded me that's a game called Unknightly which is basically Thief but in VR.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's been a hectic couple of days, hasn't it? We're still sitting in lifeboats, just in case, but things seem slightly more stable than before. Here are a few things in this fraction of the internet that you probably missed while things were a bit more on-fire.

• The official Doom port to consoles, mobile and Bethesda.net has been updated with a new community WAD - Back to Satur--erm, BTSX Episode 1. The original version has also been updated with bugfixes, particularly fixing a serious issue with MAP22 having accidentally been reverted to an older version.
  • Guncaster, Trailblazer and Russian Overkill have all received bugfix updates because it was Pillowblaster's birthday and updates are how he celebrates.
  • Shrine II is the sequel to that one TC with the low-detail eldritch monstrosities. You know the one.
  • Retribution Revisited is another entry in the long and storied history of purdy Arcane Dimensions maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwYgkmQF2a8

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
drat it, Kins, you’re the best. Thank you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Completely tangential, but back in the mid-2000’s I went to a store in Berkeley where they were playing music and a particular song got stuck in my head and proceeded to haunt me on and off for the better part of 15 years. It was only in the last year that I happened to discover it had come from that Lovage album you just happened to post.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's been a hectic couple of days, hasn't it? We're still sitting in lifeboats, just in case, but things seem slightly more stable than before. Here are a few things in this fraction of the internet that you probably missed while things were a bit more on-fire.

• The official Doom port to consoles, mobile and Bethesda.net has been updated with a new community WAD - Back to Satur--erm, BTSX Episode 1. The original version has also been updated with bugfixes, particularly fixing a serious issue with MAP22 having accidentally been reverted to an older version.
  • Guncaster, Trailblazer and Russian Overkill have all received bugfix updates because it was Pillowblaster's birthday and updates are how he celebrates.
  • Shrine II is the sequel to that one TC with the low-detail eldritch monstrosities. You know the one.
  • Retribution Revisited is another entry in the long and storied history of purdy Arcane Dimensions maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwYgkmQF2a8

Love posts like this. Downloading the updates for Guncaster and Trailblazer right now. BTSX on consoles is great news aswell. One can only dream if some day they let something like Smooth Doom to work on consoles so we slowly get a fulle modable Doom experience.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Pirate Doom should be next

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/1277653556716351488?s=19

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just tried playing Blood Fresh Supply on Well Done and immediately died to the first cultist beyond the gates who just starts lobbing TNT before you can open it :D

Also a zombie just kind of materialized right next to me on the stairs leading down so that was fun.

Aaaaand why are the doors completely silent? Multiple times I've tried backing out of a door before realizing it closed silently behind me. The sound of doors was very important to Doom's sound design and even Duke3D has door noises but uhhh Blood wtf why are you so quiet for a horror themed game unless this release is bugged?

Gotta say I will penetrate this game one day but today might not be it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Ok, you've changed my mind. Duke Nukem is good.

No, I said Duke Nukem is blood.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
From doomworld

Sponge posted:

Just popping in to mention a minor update to BTSX was pushed out. The black texture on MAP02 was fixed, and the green health packs were converted to the new palette properly. You can just redownload the WAD from the Add-Ons menu to get the changes, there's no auto-update or anything like that built in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does Blood: Fresh Supply have the supposed bug where quick-loading can reset the difficulty in the game? I haven't seen any strict confirmation but I've seen message posts about it.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

quantumfoam posted:

A post about Raven software games

Three days ago I was seriously committed to getting into Hexen after bouncing off of it multiple times. I made it like 3 hours in before I gave up. It's just tedious as gently caress. I know everyone jokes about how "it's a switch hunt" but it really is. It's Eye of the Beholder with Carmack's engine. Thanks for reading my steam review.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

skasion posted:

It’s made up for laughs

There is some lines in the documentary though where he goes on a bit of a "young animators these days, I tells ya!" rant but it's honestly expected considering the time period that he/we just dealt with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

caleb posted:

Three days ago I was seriously committed to getting into Hexen after bouncing off of it multiple times. I made it like 3 hours in before I gave up. It's just tedious as gently caress. I know everyone jokes about how "it's a switch hunt" but it really is. It's Eye of the Beholder with Carmack's engine. Thanks for reading my steam review.

It's a switch hunt where half the switches aren't on the map

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

caleb posted:

It's Eye of the Beholder with Carmack's engine.

Best description of Hexen I've seen. If you want a dungeon crawler in the Doom engine, then Hexen is there for you. If you want "Doom, but with a dark fantasy skin", then I would suggest trying Hell-Forged instead.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Best description of Hexen I've seen. If you want a dungeon crawler in the Doom engine, then Hexen is there for you. If you want "Doom, but with a dark fantasy skin", then I would suggest trying Hell-Forged instead.

Which is totally why I'm enjoying Hexen, it's very much a slow paced dungeon crawler in the Doom engine which isn't what you want from dark fantasy Doom but I would've lost my poo poo in 1995 playing it and it would've been awesome if King's Field era From Software or Westwood worked on this customized Doom engine in the mid-90s.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

Does Blood: Fresh Supply have the supposed bug where quick-loading can reset the difficulty in the game? I haven't seen any strict confirmation but I've seen message posts about it.

All I can say is that I didn’t have that experience when I last played through Fresh Supply. I started the game on Well Done and, as best I can tell, it remained at that difficulty throughout the play through.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Use BloodGDX instead. Plays much better than Fresh Supply IMO. (Not to talk trash about Fresh Supply, its frankly awesome that Blood is accessible again)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

al-azad posted:

The bug was nuked from orbit. The original save system was omitted from the disassembly and written anew from scratch, resulting in a fairly complete memory snapshot.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

I will check that mod out, ty, but I am also concerned for your mental health because those early dos d&d games were loving brutal to navigate and I would not wish them on my worst enemy

E: (I own all of them)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The best description of Hexen I've seen is "bad".

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
Tfw you give up struggling with quake color palette restrictions and fighting with Wally and then the community explodes with a bunch of really talented cool people and Trenchbroom adds the ability to extrude

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Oh poo poo! Ultimate Death Wish!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

caleb posted:

Tfw you give up struggling with quake color palette restrictions and fighting with Wally and then the community explodes with a bunch of really talented cool people and Trenchbroom adds the ability to extrude

Couldn’t TrenchBroom already extrude or is there now some ability to inset and then extrude on the same brush?

Also ya gonna have to clue me in on what Wally is and who these talented people are and fill me in!

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

al-azad posted:

Couldn’t TrenchBroom already extrude or is there now some ability to inset and then extrude on the same brush?

Also ya gonna have to clue me in on what Wally is and who these talented people are and fill me in!

Trenchbroom does the thing you said now. Makkon made a wad that is basically the Otex of Quake at this point. Now there's this new wad. Wally is TexMex but it's complicated and slightly better at making mipmaps out of the hentai folder on your hard drive that's named "important tax documents"

caleb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 30, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

caleb posted:

Makkon made a wad that is basically the Otex of Quake at this point.

Link?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Well that might be setting the wrong expectations :-) but you can grab them here: https://twitter.com/BenjaminHale7/status/1228961224743739393?s=20

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
And the Chotex texture pack mentioned above is I think for now only available on the mapping discord: https://discord.gg/c3UhFJ

There's a pinned message in the #chotex-jam channel with download links. I'm not sure if he's publically released it yet, but functionally speaking it's out-in-the-wild since it is baked into the maps that were released. Anyway, anyone is free to join the discord (and probably should if you wanna make maps).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

The best description of Hexen I've seen is "bad".

Dammit, I thought about finally sitting down and playing Death Wish with Blood: Fresh Supply, but now I want to wait for this new episode to come out. :argh:

What is Death Wish like in general? Blood in general is on the difficult side, but is Death Wish harder?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

JLaw posted:

Well that might be setting the wrong expectations :-) but you can grab them here: https://twitter.com/BenjaminHale7/status/1228961224743739393?s=20

That's fair but what I meant was the textures are handcrafted with love and are beautiful. Oxyblack Fortress is also cool and now I see a lot of people using that wad in maps on the Discord. Much like how Otex is super amazing and was used in Eviternity and then became kind of adopted by a lot of members of the community as the go-to texture set. Makkon's wad is obviously way less vast in scope but it's just really pretty idk it's just cool and I like it a lot

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Can't argue with that!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Blood Death Wish is 1000% recommended. Probably the best set of build engine levels designed, all the crazier that it was done without any new assets.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

haveblue posted:

It's a switch hunt where half the switches aren't on the map

I bought the game on release and got stuck on a puzzle, same puzzle on multiple restarts. Only to learn years later this was a map bug and my copy was considered illegal and wouldn't patch. Apart from the beautiful (for the time) opening area I have nothing but hatred for Hexen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can get the ChoTex pack from this thread too:
http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61904

But unless the Discord version has like thirty times more textures, it's not really playing in the same league as OTEX.