Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Look at lightning knight, who was a better mod than 99% of the current mods because he was more than willing to step down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh... does anyone want to be a mod?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Look at lightning knight, who was a better mod than 99% of the current mods because he was more than willing to step down

What's more is that no one was calling for him to do so
he did it out of personal conviction which speaks volumes
What convictions have most of the other mods demonstrated? "gently caress you for criticizing us we have power over you"?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

You seem to

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
personally i hope jeffy does not pay a half million plus dollars for $350 worth of trash forum software and a handful of pretty good posts. 90k maybe. but heck its his bitcoin billions and i think its harder to buy drugs with those now so what good are they really?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

gently caress no. But we need a way to ensure that those power-hungry (or benevolent, but let's be real here) individuals that do can be held accountable.

If JoY doesn't start leading by example and documenting community expectations for the admin and moderation staff this place is going to be just like cops with their riot batons and rubber bullets when the forums jubilee ends after having to put up with so much "mod sass".

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

i will be an ik and vendetta probe plinkey forever and probably the sql guy once or twice as long as it is done in the proper way. i would hope they would return the favor

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

personally i hope jeffy does not pay a half million plus dollars for $350 worth of trash forum software and a handful of pretty good posts. 90k maybe. but heck its his bitcoin billions and i think its harder to buy drugs with those now so what good are they really?

jeffrey seems happy in gbs, and if 3-500 grand will keep gbs clean of lowtax content he'll be happy.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

i will be an ik and vendetta probe plinkey forever and probably the sql guy once or twice as long as it is done in the proper way. i would hope they would return the favor

If you made the probe reason funny I wouldn't hold a grudge if it was plain then I would come back at you with all I have
which is photoshops

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Nonsense posted:

jeffrey seems happy in gbs, and if 3-500 grand will keep gbs clean of lowtax content he'll be happy.

we should all be so lucky as to spend 6 figgies on what makes us happy. for me that would be cheap scotch and renting a go kart track for a year and making the kids watch me ride go karts

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Yes make me, an unknown, a mod - my life has no meaning so I'd be GREAT at this!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Britt Burns posted:

Yes make me, an unknown, a mod - my life has no meaning so I'd be GREAT at this!
You sound like a perfect candidate. I'll take names and send them to Squizzle. It's not arduous really you respond to reports, stop people from threatening politicians or doxxing their enemies and so on. You know, normal stuff.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

no but if you're looking to trade off, I don't think anyone would object to getting LK back

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress no

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

no, it's the posters that are wrong

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

exmarx posted:

admin forum leak: the finn regretted modding evil weasel pretty much immediately

not enough to actually demod him ofc

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I vote for BrutalistMcDonalds* only if they wear that tucker avatar

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

jeffrey almost certainly wont say much, if anything.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

I’m submitting an FOIA request to the mod forums

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Once I can figure out how to do it that doesn't involve either giving Lowtax money or bothering an admin while thermonuclear bombs are going off. Also you can poo poo on me and I don't care but it better be funny.

it sounds like you care quite a bit

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I promise my modship will be one of harsh discipline and abuse of power

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

it sounds like you care quite a bit

if you just knew him you'd understand

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
the only answer is to mod us all

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zil posted:

Thanks I'll add you to the list.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Zil posted:

what is your stance re: plinkey vendetta probes?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Giga Gaia posted:

what is your stance re: plinkey vendetta probes?

I'll allow it

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you made the probe reason funny I wouldn't hold a grudge if it was plain then I would come back at you with all I have
which is photoshops
Anyone who complains about a six hour probe is as much of a cop as any mod or admin, hth

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

he's been posting in the Old Country thread in BnR and dropping some truth bombs about D&D modding lately.

Apparently EW was the only person who actually wanted to be a mod, which is why he was the main go-to for dealing with anything particularly frustrating/obnoxious

Can i get link. Cant find you guys on google. Not gonna start posting on 2 forums but that seems like a funny thing to read.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Anyone who complains about a six hour probe is as much of a cop as any mod or admin, hth

Love when a sixer comes and goes before you log back in.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Can i get link. Cant find you guys on google. Not gonna start posting on 2 forums but that seems like a funny thing to read.

joementum posted:

there were serious discussions of creating a generic d&d mod account but it was shot down because we realized everyone would just know it was ew most of the time

joementum posted:

well, the thing is that when your moderators are unpaid people who didn't even volunteer or ask to be mods, they're not going to want to do any of the hard stuff unless they're a little weird, so if there was some fyad superstar trolling the uk politics thread, we'd just let ew deal with that nonsense and that's why he was a mod for so long: because he was the only guy who actually wanted to do it

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Just gotta say gently caress you Jose

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

haha awesome thx

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so basically d&d issues stem from mods being lazy as hell and not wanting to read d&d, and hell same

they should at least be honest about it though

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I love cspam but its posters absolutely cannot help climbing up on the cross when it comes to any discussion about the forums in general and make it about their personal grudges.

Outside of the ppj stuff from January and the current lowtax situation, what specific actions by the site staff have had actual negative impacts on people offline?

DnD sucks and its mods suck but the people itt conflating lovely probes and unfair mod decisions to admins covering up evidence of lowtaxs abuse are not helping

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

i want to be a mod so i can read the mod forum. i don't even care what's in there, i just want to read more posts. give me the posts, all the posts (no long posts allowed). no, i will not moderate and no i will not respond to pm's.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
being a volunteer mod is worse than being a volunteer, say, firefighter because even though the volunteer firefighters don't get paid they get to hang out in a building with hot dudes and make chili.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I love cspam but its posters absolutely cannot help climbing up on the cross when it comes to any discussion about the forums in general and make it about their personal grudges.

Outside of the ppj stuff from January and the current lowtax situation, what specific actions by the site staff have had actual negative impacts on people offline?

DnD sucks and its mods suck but the people itt conflating lovely probes and unfair mod decisions to admins covering up evidence of lowtaxs abuse are not helping

"bad things only count offline" is a hell of a take

nobody's conflating anything, in a discussion about admins and mods abusing their power for ends both petty and legitimately nefarious, their past actions are going to come up quite a bit.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 28, 2020

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yinlock posted:

evilweasel making GBS threads up a forum is bad, but it's not really on the same level as enabling and covering up abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Wheeee posted:

evilweasel making GBS threads up a forum is bad, but it's not really on the same level as enabling and covering up abuse

true, but i don't see anyone actually arguing that it is besides the people who burst into the thread and pretend like we've been chanting "all mods love rapists"