Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I think it's still the Civ game you enjoyed playing. If you want to do crazy builds and make a civ of naval looters you certainly can, but that isn't necessary or even optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The YouTube videos you watched are a basically professional player doing weird challenges to try to draw in views and have fun. Imagine if you liked watching football and the best team decided to have fun by only running flea flicker plays, or if the Harlem globetrotters only played by doing half court shots.

Playing at medium difficulties makes it perfectly reasonable to build a civilization without min/maxing every decision, building some science and some culture and some faith, not doing everything optimally, and still win while (often more importantly) making a beautiful civilization and feeling that 4x fun where you find a good spot and build an awesome city there.

Ultimately yes there are numerous features in the game but after a few games they become pretty clear. The cards you mentioned give you good bonuses but if you like you can pick a few that you like and leave them in most of the game. There are two tech trees but they just advance science and culture, so they work the same just based on science and culture output. Build a bit of both and balance your civ and you’ll be fine!

The style you liked is still totally there! Just different Civs do different parts better than others, but all are competitive. Play Australia and you can have big beautiful cities on the coast, or play the Inca and have a sprawling empire in the mountains. You CAN sometimes exploit a bonus unique unit or ability to hilarious effect, that’s what those videos are about, but for the most part civ 6 continues that feeling you love of expanding and irrigating a map except I think it does it even BETTER!

Now in addition to farms and mines you have districts. No longer if your city a metropolis surrounded by farm land but as you expand your city by building districts your metropolis spreads out pleasantly over the map. It adds so much character to each city. Do you build a city on a river and have a trading hub next door? Maybe people travel up river to learn at the campus in the mountains?

Did you build the pyramids and how you have a theater square next to it inspiring your poets? Maybe you build a city next to a beautiful natural wonder and build a holy site there to inspire pilgrims, all the while connecting our cities with roads from trade routes. Heck you even get bonuses if your cities are close because districts get bonuses from being next to each other, even other districts! You can settle far apart and have sprawling cities with farm lands and pastures or build dense overlapping urban centers. The choice is totally yours!

Many people here prefer civ V but I really prefer civ 6 especially after gathering storm.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 27, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yeah don't sweat playing the game more or less how you're used to, but it can be real fun to rush submarines that give gold for pillaging coastal tiles or something like that.

If you like empire building this is probably the best yet. Or if you're the kind of person who liked to hit that preview-city button in civ 2.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Just finished my 3rd game playing civ 6 after a few hundred hours on V, (latest was as Scythia large map, continents and islands on difficulty 6/8) and I found myself stumbling into a diplomatic victory for the second game in a row despite planning to domination victory, noticing I was at 15/20 vps and the statue of liberty and seasteads were just there waiting to be built to get me over the line. So I wanted to ask people who know what they're doing if diplo is broken and should be disabled or have I just fluked it. Also which map options do people think are fun, i always worry about picking anything other than continents is gonna warp the balance

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blasmeister posted:

Just finished my 3rd game playing civ 6 after a few hundred hours on V, (latest was as Scythia large map, continents and islands on difficulty 6/8) and I found myself stumbling into a diplomatic victory for the second game in a row despite planning to domination victory, noticing I was at 15/20 vps and the statue of liberty and seasteads were just there waiting to be built to get me over the line. So I wanted to ask people who know what they're doing if diplo is broken and should be disabled or have I just fluked it. Also which map options do people think are fun, i always worry about picking anything other than continents is gonna warp the balance

I usually disable it, too easy and arbitrary

The world congress is dumb enough without allowing for premature victories by accident

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

What im most skeptical about though is how the game is focused on making a «build» out of all the various customizable things.
Like i watched a gameplay series where the only thing he did was pillaging with boats. Every customizable feature was laser focused on making boats better or pillaging better. He got ironclads before he got the wheel...
Another game he had an extreme focus on «giant heads» whatever that is and conquered the world through tourism.
In both scenarios he did virtually no improvements or build much infrastructure.

What i enjoyed about the civ games was building a bunch of cities, carpet the landscape with irrogation and mines (and railroad!), research quickly and go to war to conquer the whole map. It seems this classical gameplay style is gone in favor of niche builds tailored to specific civilizations?

The thing about videos like that is, they're being played by people who have mastered the base game and are looking to add additional challenges on top of that. They also tend to play at the highest difficulty settings, which require you to outmaneuver AIs who have been given a ton of unfair advantages.

I like playing the same way you do, and I love Civ 6. Start on the default difficulty setting and pick a good general "starting" civ (other people can probably give you better advice about that). Use the tutorial setting at first, it's not very intrusive. Don't read too many guides at the beginning and just experiment.

You may want to read up on the five victory conditions though, just so you don't get taken by surprise. A lot of people just turn off the religious victory option in the game setup menu, because if you're not playing a religion-focused game it's very difficult to defeat an AI who is on the verge of winning that way, which is less true for the other four victory conditions.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Blasmeister posted:

I don't know if they changed how the diplomatic victory works or if I just cracked how to win it, but this has been happening to me pretty frequently now.

I think there are a couple factors. The first is, I figured out that voting for the winning Outcome/Target combo in World Congress awards a diplomatic victory point. And a lot of the time, especially in the early game, you learn over time what the consensus will probably be (eg the first time the "extra production in this district" pops up, it will basically always be yes + the City Center district). So you rack up a couple early points that way. IMO if they were going to change one thing about how the Diplomatic victory works, it should be removing this - it doesn't make much sense and it can happen without the player even realizing it.

Then, if you're playing on Gathering Storm, you get the aid requests which reward a Diplomatic Victory point, and if you're already doing pretty well you can easily win those with either gold or production. I think I only started winning Diplo victories regularly after Gathering Storm came out.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
And while I'm on the subject, if we were workshopping a total revamp of the World Congress -

One idea I've had is a two-turn Congress session. In the first turn, you'd be presented with a list of all the possible resolutions, and you'd pick one Outcome-Target combo and submit it. Then, next turn, you'd be presented with a list of everyone's selections, and you'd distribute your diplomatic favor however you like. The most popular 1-3 options with more support than opposition would win. Or, alternately, you could rank all the choices from most to least preferable and then do a ranked choice voting thing. Either option feels much more analogous to how actual legislative bodies work. Once Diplomatic Victory voting was an option, you could run it the same way.

I might also bring back the thing from Civ 5 where you can trade for votes on your selected policy, but cap it at a low number of votes so that a savvy trader can't just run away with the game every time. Or make it so only certain things can be traded for votes - like favors, for example. If you promise to stop proselytizing me I'll vote for your thing.

A bigger change would be a setup derived from the policy card system, with a different set of cards specific to the World Congress. I'm not as sure how this would work in practice, but ranked choice voting could potentially work for that too.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Thinking of picking up Civ6 during the steam sale.

I have played a TON of civ1, 3 and 4 and a little bit of 5. I literally learned english through playing civ1 when i was 7ish (im not from an english spesking country)

I decided to watch some civ6 gameplays on YT but im honestly not so sure about the game now. The feature bloat is extreme; 2 different research trees, 2 different types of advisors you assign, a whole bunch of consumable resources, some sort of cards you assign to further customize your government, and an extreme amount of actions you can do beyond attack or move.

What im most skeptical about though is how the game is focused on making a «build» out of all the various customizable things.
Like i watched a gameplay series where the only thing he did was pillaging with boats. Every customizable feature was laser focused on making boats better or pillaging better. He got ironclads before he got the wheel...
Another game he had an extreme focus on «giant heads» whatever that is and conquered the world through tourism.
In both scenarios he did virtually no improvements or build much infrastructure.

What i enjoyed about the civ games was building a bunch of cities, carpet the landscape with irrogation and mines (and railroad!), research quickly and go to war to conquer the whole map. It seems this classical gameplay style is gone in favor of niche builds tailored to specific civilizations?

The biggest downside is that it's not bloat so much as if you do everything you will just trash the AI. You can also ignore most the features and still win on immortal/diety. Science/production will still beat everything. But as said, the AI hot garbage in this one.

The biggest improvement is that terrain/perfect city placement is no longer nearly as important. Cities end up being kinda weird placed and it feels way more like real cities.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

The biggest downside is that it's not bloat so much as if you do everything you will just trash the AI. You can also ignore most the features and still win on immortal/diety. Science/production will still beat everything. But as said, the AI hot garbage in this one.

This is definitely not true for me and I have a shameful amount of time sunk into this game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im a pretty average player but Ive already sunk some hundreds of hours into this game

And emperor still offers me a decent challenge. The AI is dumb as bricks alright, but they have so many bonuses is not easy to keep up. I still win most of the times, though, and without any extreme cheesing or optimal district building

But it is true that if you focus on science and production, most of the times you Ill end up ahead and win

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks everyone, i bought Civ6 platinum on steam!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ineptitude posted:

I just copied Potato McWhiskey and started a Norway pillaging game the other day and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I play on King like a wheenie and I am nowhere near Potato's talent level, but I think one of the thing that continues to make the game fun is that even once you know the "right" way to play the game, you can impose a challenge on yourself and make the whole thing totally different.

Like churning out viking longships every two turns and pillaging all my neighbors is so antithetical to my normal "hunker down and only attack once two eras ahead in science" strategy that it's made the whole thing fun again. Now I've got a shitload of Ironclad fleets burning carbon like there is no tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out how I can cap and hold all the capitals with my constant loyalty problems and before the comets come and destroy earth. It's rad.

Also disable Diplomatic victory. That's just a huge load off.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks everyone, i bought Civ6 platinum on steam!

Good choice. Let us know how you like it!

Chad Sexington posted:

I just copied Potato McWhiskey and started a Norway pillaging game the other day and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I play on King like a wheenie and I am nowhere near Potato's talent level, but I think one of the thing that continues to make the game fun is that even once you know the "right" way to play the game, you can impose a challenge on yourself and make the whole thing totally different.

Like churning out viking longships every two turns and pillaging all my neighbors is so antithetical to my normal "hunker down and only attack once two eras ahead in science" strategy that it's made the whole thing fun again. Now I've got a shitload of Ironclad fleets burning carbon like there is no tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out how I can cap and hold all the capitals with my constant loyalty problems and before the comets come and destroy earth. It's rad.

For me, things like that are a way to add some roleplaying to the game and is way more fun than trying to minmax things. I think Civ 6 is a great Civ game for roleplay.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm now trying to beat a game with every leader, after initially just picking the ones that seemed interesting and, later on, the ones that seemed geared to the play style I'd developed. Now that I'm working through the ones I initially skipped over, I'm finding that a lot of them present much more unique experiences than I expected - Mansa Musa for example, and Norway too.

I wish the base game saved the records of which civs you've won with (unless I'm missing it). I've been keeping track by the Steam achievements. It would also be awesome in game creation to be able to say "give me a random civ from the group of civs I haven't won with."

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

showbiz_liz posted:

I wish the base game saved the records of which civs you've won with (unless I'm missing it). I've been keeping track by the Steam achievements. It would also be awesome in game creation to be able to say "give me a random civ from the group of civs I haven't won with."

Additional Content --> Hall Of Fame

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

For me, things like that are a way to add some roleplaying to the game and is way more fun than trying to minmax things. I think Civ 6 is a great Civ game for roleplay.

Something I miss from when I first started playing is, I used to get a lot more invested in my individual cities, and I'd enjoy imagining the local cultures that would develop in each one. Like, this city has a lot of deer and crabs and some spices, so they'll be known across the civ for a unique local dish with those ingredients, or that island city is near a culture-giving wonder so I'll prioritize a theater square district there and then say it's the beautiful island paradise that everyone visits to finish their novel. I still think about those things a bit, but early on, sometimes I'd just pause the game and "visit" all my cities.

rantmo posted:

Additional Content --> Hall Of Fame

Ooo, thanks!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Haven't played Civ 6 since like, 2017. Obviously a LOT has changed. I have Rise & Fall, as well as Gathering Storm, but I honestly haven't played in so long I've sort of forgotten all the specifics for this iteration of the game. Any good guides out there for someone who is super familiar with Civ in general but has almost entirely forgotten about the features specific to 6 and its expansions?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Is there a bug in the game where sometimes an AI opponent just doesn't do anything? My neighbour Arabia failed to settle any cities and just durdled around the entire game, there was loads of land as it was just me and him on a continent, but nope. He wasn't even developing his one city really. It was only 9 pop in the atomic age. As a joke I settled a troll city as close as possible to it and it was 11 pop before I won a diplomatic victory less than 40 turns later. What's going on Saladin?!

In all my other games I've never seen the AI be so ineffectual. The other 4 players were on a nother continent and whilst poor, they still developed and had little wars with each other. Norway even captured a city state. Arabia though, nothing.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

khy posted:

Haven't played Civ 6 since like, 2017. Obviously a LOT has changed. I have Rise & Fall, as well as Gathering Storm, but I honestly haven't played in so long I've sort of forgotten all the specifics for this iteration of the game. Any good guides out there for someone who is super familiar with Civ in general but has almost entirely forgotten about the features specific to 6 and its expansions?

streamer normul8tor is making a series of civ 6 basics tutorials. you might find useful.
starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zBlxZdz31M

mitochondritom posted:

Is there a bug in the game where sometimes an AI opponent just doesn't do anything? My neighbour Arabia failed to settle any cities and just durdled around the entire game, there was loads of land as it was just me and him on a continent, but nope. He wasn't even developing his one city really. It was only 9 pop in the atomic age. As a joke I settled a troll city as close as possible to it and it was 11 pop before I won a diplomatic victory less than 40 turns later. What's going on Saladin?!

In all my other games I've never seen the AI be so ineffectual. The other 4 players were on a nother continent and whilst poor, they still developed and had little wars with each other. Norway even captured a city state. Arabia though, nothing.

aye, i think so. i've seen it a couple of times even on deity. for some reason the ai just freezes completely and won't even move it's free settler to found another city.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Since there're new people or returning players: I suggest you play with a mod that gives every unit +1 movement, try the Civ V-style environmental graphics mod, and disable religious victory.

Definitely try a couple games without these changes so you'll know what to compare to and enjoy the original experience.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I’m not sure as I haven’t played that many games yet, but the AI seems less likely to spam out religious units in Gathering Storm. The only victory condition I turn off now is diplo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's excellent, I'm really glad they're continuing patches and content releases. I did play through a game with disasters cranked up and it owned.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chronojam posted:

That's excellent, I'm really glad they're continuing patches and content releases.

they sure are continuing to make paid content releases but they barely patch poo poo

the something awful forums > discussion > games > civ 6: two expansions in and launch day bugs still haven't been fixed

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 28, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chronojam posted:

Since there're new people or returning players: I suggest you play with a mod that gives every unit +1 movement, try the Civ V-style environmental graphics mod, and disable religious victory.

Definitely try a couple games without these changes so you'll know what to compare to and enjoy the original experience.

How is the +1 movement mod called again? I want to try it but I always forget

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There are a couple; the one I used to like was called, I think, rocket boots or something. It functioned via an automatic promotion for every unit so it was compatible with basically anything

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think my favourite thing about civ6 is how ompletely different each leader plays compared to previous civs

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I've been thinking about a potential civ that could function as a kind of barbarian king.

-You can only settle your first city, but it's mobile. The city center looks like a tent settlement, and if you want to move, it turns into a caravan. While mobile the caravan could take a hit to yields. When settled, the city would be immune to loyalty pressure. You can put your districts (also groups of tents) wherever you want each time you settle. (Wonders obviously wouldn't be compatible with this.)
-You can't become a friend or ally of any other civ.
-Any barbarian units you encounter automatically join you.
-Your units, or possibly just a unique unit, can have an ability that gives a small chance to recruit another civ's units to your side.
-You can't take over other civs' cities, only raze them, but doing so gives huge rewards to balance out your low yields from having only one city. Also extra yields from raiding and pillaging.
-Potentially you get extra city-state envoys, reflecting your underdog status. And maybe your suzerained city-states send you regular tribute.

I don't know what historical civ/leader this could be, though.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Someone make a mod where if a barbarian camp survives for 50 turns it becomes a new city state

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Sounds like a turbocharged Attila from Civ 5.

The feeling when a goody hut upgraded your starting Warrior to a Battering Ram on turn 6 and meeting another Civ right next to it was something else. :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Norway feels like a barbarian Civ, because you can immediately cross the ocean, declared war on everyone on the other continent, and there's nothing they can do about your ships pillaging their coasts for that free gold, science, and culture.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

showbiz_liz posted:

I've been thinking about a potential civ that could function as a kind of barbarian king.

-You can only settle your first city, but it's mobile. The city center looks like a tent settlement, and if you want to move, it turns into a caravan. While mobile the caravan could take a hit to yields. When settled, the city would be immune to loyalty pressure. You can put your districts (also groups of tents) wherever you want each time you settle. (Wonders obviously wouldn't be compatible with this.)
-Your units, or possibly just a unique unit, can have an ability that gives a small chance to recruit another civ's units to your side.
-You can't take over other civs' cities, only raze them, but doing so gives huge rewards to balance out your low yields from having only one city. Also extra yields from raiding and pillaging.
-Potentially you get extra city-state envoys, reflecting your underdog status. And maybe your suzerained city-states send you regular tribute.

Reminds me of the Civ4 Warlords expansion that included a barbarian specific scenario. You had a single settler that couldn't settle cities and if you lost it you lost, but you could buy units from it with the gold you got from pillaging/conquering. It was a race against the clock as it were, because as soon as the AI's got longbowmen it was impossible to conquer cities anymore. I think the highest tier unit you could get was a swordsman.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

showbiz_liz posted:

You've just described how Genghis Khan should work in Civ7

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Glumslinger posted:

You've just described how Genghis Khan should work in Civ7

Give genghis khan a chance to automatically raze any city he captures where the auto-raze chance decreases as his culture score/renown increases. On the plus side the cities he doesn't auto-raze insta-flip to him.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Flip cities by burning infrastructure and sieging them, as the governor capitulates

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Oh I thought of another thing - a certain percentage of a razed city's population could be added to your city's population. (You could say they joined willingly, this game probably shouldn't explicitly have slavery in it)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Reminds me of the Civ4 Warlords expansion that included a barbarian specific scenario. You had a single settler that couldn't settle cities and if you lost it you lost, but you could buy units from it with the gold you got from pillaging/conquering. It was a race against the clock as it were, because as soon as the AI's got longbowmen it was impossible to conquer cities anymore. I think the highest tier unit you could get was a swordsman.

All of the Civ4 scenarios were incredible, and some of them showcased some even more incredible mods.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

Oh I thought of another thing - a certain percentage of a razed city's population could be added to your city's population. (You could say they joined willingly, this game probably shouldn't explicitly have slavery in it)

Just implicitly with capitalism.

The game definitely should have a refugee mechanic.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Triangle trade is in as a policy trade card. No downsides whatsoever and it's presented as a natural development to improve your civilization. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Poil posted:

Triangle trade is in as a policy trade card. No downsides whatsoever and it's presented as a natural development to improve your civilization. :shepface:

I mean these games have always allowed you to literally be fascists and steal civilians as slaves so let's all let go of our pearls.