Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Judging by the highly effective quarantine for that cruise ship, I am expecting BIG things from Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1275114711499943936

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Abe still (unfortunately) invincible or has handling covid given him a bloody nose? I want the syncophant out of the Premiership already.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Is Abe still (unfortunately) invincible or has handling covid given him a bloody nose? I want the syncophant out of the Premiership already.

He’s handled the pandemic alright but there are a few other issues popping up, including the prosecutor retirement age and the LDP finance stuff that have come back up in the news the past week.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

When I was in Japan I collected trash in the street and threw them in random garbage cans.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'm sorry if this is a rude or stupid question. Also if it has been covered in the thread already.

But does anyone have any news on Japan and Australia possibly opening their borders to one another?

Last I heard the two governments were in "talks" about easing travel restrictions. But I haven't heard anything since.

Is it likely to happen? Is there an approximate time when they say it will happen? etc.

Sorry again if this is a stupid question.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

But does anyone have any news on Japan and Australia possibly opening their borders to one another?

Last I heard the two governments were in "talks" about easing travel restrictions. But I haven't heard anything since.

Not yet, and not for tourism - first just for business. And would include a ban on those people arriving from using public transit.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

harperdc posted:

Not yet, and not for tourism - first just for business. And would include a ban on those people arriving from using public transit.

Thanks. Although if/when I would be coming to Japan, I am hoping I would have a valid working visa before arrival.

I am applying for jobs in Japan. Most of them require you to be currently residing in Japan. But there are a few who are prepared to interview me from over here via Skype.

So. fingers crossed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thanks. Although if/when I would be coming to Japan, I am hoping I would have a valid working visa before arrival.

I am applying for jobs in Japan. Most of them require you to be currently residing in Japan. But there are a few who are prepared to interview me from over here via Skype.

So. fingers crossed.

Japan is still strictly limiting the entry of foreigners, with very few exceptions -- "moving to work" is currently not one of the exceptions. Please understand the only clear guidance is for foreigners on spouse visas or permanent residence, and even then, it's only in certain exceptional circumstances (like flying back to a home country for ill relatives or those who passed away, or if children need to return for schooling).

"Moving to Japan to start work" may be allowed, but probably not, and would also still require a 14-day quarantine at this time.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1277887150600736771

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What job can he get with that degree?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

funny enough he's now fully qualified to be an OBGYN as well.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Professional fancy party guest.

Host: "You'll never guess, but hidden amongst you is the first person to earn a masters degree in ninja studies. Try and guess who it is and at the end of the day we'll reveal them and have them do some party tricks."

Applause

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Toru Hashimoto seems like such an asshat. Glad he's gone. I see that his replacement Ichirō Matsui who also led the same party. Really sucks. I'm trying to find more about this guy but the recent results were a really dumb :biotruths: shopping comment.

sexpig by night posted:

funny enough he's now fully qualified to be an OBGYN as well.

Whoa.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yikes

https://globalvoices.org/2020/08/25/hiroshima-timeline-project-under-fire-for-racism-fabricated-history/

So NHK has been running a project for the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing as though some of the people at the time had twitter accounts, tweeting stuff based on diary entries about their reactions, experiences and so on. Seems like a pretty cool idea and it seems to have gotten a significant following, with each of the associated accouts having well over 100k followers.

Then one day, one of the accounts based on a 12 year old boy tweeted this:

nhk_1945shun posted:

June 16, 1945

Those drat [slur for Koreans] (朝鮮人の奴ら) are openly taunting us, saying “The war's going to be over soon” and “Japan's going to lose, you know.” Although I felt myself giving in to my anger and was going to taunt them back, I finally just felt overwhelmed. Anyway, I couldn't even find a suitable retort for the [slur for Koreans], so I just bit my tongue.

And a couple of similar tweets besides that one. Which, well, seems pretty lovely. In case anybody's in the dark, it's worth pointing out that those Koreans were by and large brought to Japan against their will, many subjected to forced labor, and basically all experiencing violence and prejudice. Still, for a 12 year old boy raised in Japan at that time, okay though it isn't I can still understand him having those kinds of attitudes. Might have been better to not include it as part of the commemoration, but maybe it's important to have a complete picture of the time.

Except, uh:

quote:

The Mainichi Shimbun also reported that Shunichiro Arai, the real person upon whom the @nhk_1945shun's tweets are based, never made disparaging or racist remarks about Koreans in his diaries:

It turns out the people running the event straight up...made the racist remarks up! Because?

So yeah nice going there.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lol. Is this how the Japsnese get back on the Koreans who made the cowtow Abe statue.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How conservative is Shinzo Abe again?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

George W Bush, both in terms of economics and religion.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What does right-wing Shintoism look like these days?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Grouchio posted:

Praying really hard to the war criminal kami asking them to smite the Korean menace I guess?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

He's Nobusuke Kishi's grandson in every respect.

Wasn't it Seiko Noda who was rumored to have called for preparing for war with China a while back and everyone was just "What the gently caress are you talking about?" I couldn't remember who it was but I remember it was a woman at a war cabinet meeting and she's been in it in the past.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

Koramei posted:

It turns out the people running the event straight up...made the racist remarks up! Because?

So yeah nice going there.
And yet here's the top comment on Yahoo from just yesterday (6000+ upvotes):
あったことをあった。感じたことを感じた。[What happened happened. What was felt was felt.]
そのことを体験した方の言葉をそのまま伝えて何の問題があるのでしょうか。[What's the problem with sharing the words of the people who experienced those things?]
これこそまさに言論の封殺だと思います。[I think this is political correctness run amok.]
謝罪など持ってのほかです。[This is even more outrageous than the apologies.]
NHKには幻滅です。[I'm disillusioned with NHK.]

Great to see news comment sections are well-informed and reasonable the world over.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Revere the emperor, get rid of the foreigners, let us have a glorious military again. Same as it ever was.

Cabinet ministers visited Yasukuni on the anniversary of WWII ending for the first time in a few years. Same as it ever was.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Abe about to resign again. I guess for good now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/28/shinzo-abe-to-publicly-address-concerns-about-his-health

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

:yeshaha:
*looks at the next candidates*
:stare:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

lol, dumbass abe laid low by the chronic shits again

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

:yeshaha:
*looks at the next candidates*
:stare:

yeah, the LDP is poo poo top to bottom and the opposition parties are inept af

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I hadn't been following Japanese politics super closely for the last several years, but with news of Abe's resignation, are we expecting more of the same?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bell_ posted:

I hadn't been following Japanese politics super closely for the last several years, but with news of Abe's resignation, are we expecting more of the same?

Maybe, its possible he’s resigning to make his flagging party more popular since he’s kind of the face of the decisions that are being made. It very well may work to get an Abe clone in his place.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I literally thought this guy was going to just be Prime Minister till he dropped dead cause Japan doesn't seem to be into the whole democracy thing and choosing better or new leaders thing either these days like most countries that hold elections. I loving hated this guy as much as it's possible to dislike a world leader on the other side of the planet. Incredibly corrupt and unlikable Prime Minister born with a silver spoon in his mouth who liked to start poo poo with neighboring countries like Korea for basically no reason and who never really helped with much of Japan's actual domestic problems, particularly economic ones. Basically the first in the wave of right wing nationalists that have been all the rage in 1st world nations in the 21st century who even tried at times to use things like pop culture to influence Japan's younger generations into being more conservative (with mixed albeit some success) and more receptive to the SDF and his political ambitions for them and to spread a little pro Japan propaganda abroad. There's also the war criminal memorial visits and constant scandals. Most fortunately he never got enough support to complete his lifetime ambition of amending the constitution to allow them to raise and deploy armies overseas again which was wildly unpopular within Japan, particularly among those that grew up remembering the price of war and felt the post war period turmoil in Japan directly.

The crazy thing is he was more than unpopular enough to be voted out in the last election, they just didn't because the opposition was seen as not up to the task of governing, but really Japan just doesn't seem keen on trying new things in the 21st century. He really just should not have gotten a 4th term as seems evident to even Japan now, but I imagine whoever his successor is within the LDP just wins the next election in a landslide regardless simply for party affiliation and not being literally Shinzo Abe.

e: I just read he'll stay in office till a successor is chosen so that could be a while unfortunately since again Japan has this complex about considering alternatives to this guy and his party.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 28, 2020

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Kale posted:

I literally thought this guy was going to just be Prime Minister till he dropped dead cause Japan doesn't seem to be into the whole democracy thing

Yes, because if a party you don't like stays in power it's because the nation isn't into all this enlightened Western democracy stuff. Maybe someday the poor savages while realize what they're missing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If he expected he could make the Olympic go off smoothly or get RCEP signed he wouldn't get off the train now.

He has made a lot of bad decisions including the sale tax hike in the last two years.
During the Corona almost every east Asian country leader got a boost in the poll except Abe for the bad Corona performance. Even modi with his craptastic Corona numbers and soldiers getting killed has a high popularity lol!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

captkirk posted:

Yes, because if a party you don't like stays in power it's because the nation isn't into all this enlightened Western democracy stuff. Maybe someday the poor savages while realize what they're missing.

the correct thing to do is let [Insert Reactionary CIA-Funded Ghoul] do whats best to bring Economic Equality to the masses! :shepface:

NOTE: This Something Awful forums user (previously known as "The Blackest Goon") is a Person of Color who chose the current iteration of his username ironically after years of having his remaining brain cells all but fried after monitoring the rise of online reactionary ideologies for a decade.

if this sounds like a flimsy excuse, you are wrong

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
white internet nerds cant help themselves but to either demonize or infantilize Asian Culture

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

captkirk posted:

It's because the LDP has been in power for about 54 out of the last 60 years. That's probably more that Japan is allergic to anyone that isn't the LPD and/or their coalition. I can't speak to how they maintain this dominance in Japanese politics, but they do

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's because the LDP has been in power for about 54 out of the last 60 years. That's probably more that Japan is allergic to anyone that isn't the LPD and/or their coalition. I can't speak to how they maintain this dominance in Japanese politics, but they do

yeah me neither:iiam:

edit:

quote:

M
3 weeks ago
Saved Japan from experiencing wokeness.

quote:

DarkAngelusV
2 months ago
When a commie is killed, a kitten angel in heaven gets its wings

quote:

Humble Merchant
2 months ago
Communists go straight to hell since they don't believe in God

i dunno what the gently caress these comments are on about i just want this country to keep making my manchild cartoons that i dont pay for either way because i pirate the poo poo out of them on a russian website that is sure to give my computer cancer

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2020

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Race Realists posted:

the correct thing to do is let [Insert Reactionary CIA-Funded Ghoul] do whats best to bring Economic Equality to the masses! :shepface:

The LDP winning always had more to do with the opposition being deeply unappealing than with CIA dirtry tricks no matter how badly the foreign expat and journalist corps want to believe otherwise. In the immediate postwar the Italian Communists nearly got an actual majority in 1947 and probably was actually kept out by the CIA, the JSP meanwhile never cracked a third of the vote for basically non-dirty-tricks reasons. (Actually it got a cool 26% of the vote going into its brief postwar government, then collapsed and got 33% in 1960, with a long, slow decline afterward.) American support helped to consolidate the LDP but there was never more than a small chance of a Marxist sweep into power, at least unless the occupying power just forced it through without regard to public support. Dower is just wrong on this, sorry.

Also, if the people criticizing the Japanese system had any ideas for an alternative beyond 1997-vintage shock therapy neoliberalism of liquidating Japan Inc, stripping the assets and dumping the workforce onto unemployment, along with drowning the hated bureaucracy in the bathtub, they’d be easier to take seriously, but having followed this discourse for years, they really, truly don’t

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 29, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

Also, if the people criticizing the Japanese system had any ideas for an alternative beyond 1997-vintage shock therapy neoliberalism of liquidating Japan Inc, stripping the assets and dumping the workforce onto unemployment, along with drowning the hated bureaucracy in the bathtub, they’d be easier to take seriously, but having followed this discourse for years, they really, truly don’t
So why do they time and time again pose little threat to the LDP's powerhold then?

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

Race Realists posted:

i dunno what the gently caress these comments are on about i just want this country to keep making my manchild cartoons that i dont pay for either way because i pirate the poo poo out of them on a russian website that is sure to give my computer cancer
I don't think actual ultra-uyoku types would be commenting in English

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Congratulations you derived the correct intent from that comment. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
The latest is the CDP's Ishigaki Noriko saying sorry for saying that Abe "has a habit of destroying his body during important times" which she has just been informed might be offensive
https://twitter.com/norinotes/status/1299359758256726017