Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My local arthouse theater's been open for a few weeks and I guess they're starving for content because this trailer played when I went.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G10fIaOsCmc
Using an epic trailer voice guy for a cheesy doc about Monet cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Apple TV show Foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pE6QHdcpZ4

I'll be surprised if it's not boring as hell. Jared Harris as Seldon is A+ casting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Peccadillo posted:

There is one good American Excpetionalism musical and it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbrnXl2gO_k

Actually it's Assassins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb1fWW17bnY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
There's really no excuse to be able to tolerate that rapping grandma epic rap battles of history rear end poo poo without your ears bleeding

hey my name is ben franklin and im here to say
i own slaves in a special way

It's. The. Worst.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 23, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Not liking Hamilton is perfectly acceptably (it has its issues, especially as it pertains to how little attention it gives to slavery and the genocide of Native Americans), but it will never not be funny to me that a lot of goons, C-SPAM people in particular, adored the musical when they first heard about it in 2015 and then did a complete 180 when the show achieved mainstream popularity.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’d like to see it before I judge

I wonder how many of the “lol problematic grandma rap” people have seen it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's the soundtrack if you really need to rate the quality of its rap.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

QuoProQuid posted:

Not liking Hamilton is perfectly acceptably (it has its issues, especially as it pertains to how little attention it gives to slavery and the genocide of Native Americans), but it will never not be funny to me that a lot of goons, C-SPAM people in particular, adored the musical when they first heard about it in 2015 and then did a complete 180 when the show achieved mainstream popularity.

this is why I never like anything, so it can't be dredged up later to own me

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

About time we have more Asia-influenced animation over here, and I don't mean anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26DIABx44Tw

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The MSJ posted:

About time we have more Asia-influenced animation over here, and I don't mean anime.

Looks good and neat little turn right at the very end.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Perhaps you could help solve a mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4FrgGILM8

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lobok posted:

There’s also a mixtape that takes the tracks and has them performed by The Roots and others, which unsurprisingly makes them actually not awful.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

clown shoes posted:

Perhaps you could help solve a mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4FrgGILM8

They won't, but they should just use the original theme song this time around too. Don't update it, don't reimagine it. If we can't have Dennis Farina Robert Stack back at least give us that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah why mess with perfection. That trailer woulda been 100 times as hype with it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

That looks both really good and like the main character is having a psychotic break from reality.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's so weird how Rasputin became the boogie man when in reality he probably was just a really horny dude who wanted to bang the tsarina. But I honestly find the whole concept of Kingsman disgusting, it's a bunch of (mostly) upper class, white men who wants to shape the world and the movies treat it as that's a good idea.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, the point of the first movie was that in order to survive they had to evolve and let lower-class people and women into the organization. But then they trained Eggsy to act upper-class and sidelined the more competent woman, so even in that context it's a bit hard to like in execution.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, the point of the first movie was that in order to survive they had to evolve and let lower-class people and women into the organization. But then they trained Eggsy to act upper-class and sidelined killed the more competent woman, so even in that context it's a bit hard to like in execution.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought she survived the first film only to get offed in the opening of the second? I skipped that one because the third act of the first movie felt so gross, plus it looked like trash. A shame, because there was a lot to like in that first flick.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The first Kingsman movie was a fun little thing that came out of nowhere and did well and you're happy to catch parts of it on cable randomly. The second one was a fairly sloppy misfire that relied too much on weird character tics, needless twists, and overwrought action senquences because they learned the wrong lessons from the success of the first. Also it had some stuff in there that was just grossly misogynistic and mean to women - I can't remember the last time I cringed so hard in a movie as the condom tracking device implementation scene. Edgerton was smart to move away from these flicks because they don't really have much to offer and the foundation/politics of the story makes for some immensely wobbly pins to establish an entire franchise upon.

Always nice to see Hounsou get a check though.

The Foundation series looks interesting and well made, assuming that they discarded the terrible filler novels beyond the initial trilogy. Biggest problem there is that I don't know a single person who has Apple TV and Foundation doesn't seem to be the sort of thing people will sign up for all by itself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Edgerton is supposedly signed for the 3rd one assuming the prequel does well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sirotan posted:

They won't, but they should just use the original theme song this time around too. Don't update it, don't reimagine it. If we can't have Dennis Farina Robert Stack back at least give us that.

Agreed, although I was also hoping that this time around the mysteries would all be more grounded and things that viewers would realistically have a chance of helping with, but I guess it wouldn't be Unsolved Mysteries without a UFO case.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Or at least give us the occasional "UP-date".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not Unsolved Mysteries without the occasional "Amelia Earhart was abducted by aliens".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I mean, poo poo, this took me twenty minutes to make for TFF a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPlC1YKPyPc

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mat Cauthon posted:

The first Kingsman movie was a fun little thing that came out of nowhere and did well and you're happy to catch parts of it on cable randomly. The second one was a fairly sloppy misfire that relied too much on weird character tics, needless twists, and overwrought action senquences because they learned the wrong lessons from the success of the first. Also it had some stuff in there that was just grossly misogynistic and mean to women - I can't remember the last time I cringed so hard in a movie as the condom tracking device implementation scene. Edgerton was smart to move away from these flicks because they don't really have much to offer and the foundation/politics of the story makes for some immensely wobbly pins to establish an entire franchise upon.

The Foundation series looks interesting and well made, assuming that they discarded the terrible filler novels beyond the initial trilogy. Biggest problem there is that I don't know a single person who has Apple TV and Foundation doesn't seem to be the sort of thing people will sign up for all by itself.

I have AppleTV!

because I bought an iPad and you get a year free with an apple device purchase. I haven't even used it.. and I got it for free.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mat Cauthon posted:

The second Kingsman was also one of 3 movies released in 2017 that have a scene based around "Country Roads", wtf was with that?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cacator posted:

The second Kingsman was also one of 3 movies released in 2017 that have a scene based around "Country Roads", wtf was with that?

John Denver's estate has been super, super aggressive about trying to get his music into modern media, that's honestly most of it

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

John Denver's estate has been super, super aggressive about trying to get his music into modern media, that's honestly most of it
Does that mean RTGame has been getting money from them too? :ohdear:

I'm mostly joking, but getting a Twitch/YouTube gamer with rising popularity to include your song in a bunch of his videos wouldn't be a bad way to introduce youths to your music

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The meme arm of John Denver's estate is doing great work though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOc8SrT8jbk

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lobok posted:

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Hamilton but everyone should give Satisfied a listen, it's easily the best song from the show. (the instrumental is in the trailer they just put up, but the song itself is mostly sung, not rapped, and mostly by Renee Elise Goldsbury, who won a Tony for her work in this show)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 24, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I did an entire class on Hamilton (not because I liked it but rather to illustrate how weird Americans are about elevating historical figures and how that overlaps with pop culture) when I was teaching university in Brazil and the students responded positively to Satisfied way more than any of the other songs by a large margin.

If you remove the specific references it could be a generic, if very well produced and performed, pop r&b track of the sort that we really don't get anymore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DC Murderverse posted:

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Hamilton but everyone should give Satisfied a listen, it's easily the best song from the show. (the instrumental is in the trailer they just put up, but the song itself is mostly sung, not rapped, and mostly by Renee Elise Goldsbury, who won a Tony for her work in this show)

Is that the one that's like a Destiny's Child song? That was a highlight for sure because I thought the show was just pure hip hop. Also cool how that scene IIRC is the one they do the rewind of later in the show.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lobok posted:

Is that the one that's like a Destiny's Child song? That was a highlight for sure because I thought the show was just pure hip hop. Also cool how that scene IIRC is the one they do the rewind of later in the show.

yup. Goldsbury might be the most purely talented singer in the original cast of Hamilton (she'll fight it out with Leslie Odom) and Satisfied is a really great showcase for her talents. Honestly a lot of the more singing-based songs in Hamilton are really quite good. Burn, Wait for It, Satisfied, Helpless and It's Quiet Uptown are all very good. I think Lin-Manuel is a really talented songwriter, I just think his head might have expanded quite a bit after Hamilton hit it as big as it did. I think I've even said it before in this thread but In The Heights is much better even though it didn't get as much attention from the general public. Of course, thanks to the dumb virus the film version has been delayed an entire year, which is a bummer.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I got dragged, by my daughter, to see it in the west end, and I couldn't really tell you much about it. I liked the King's song, the rest were forgettable. I got serveral sharp looks for laughing when Hamilton's son got killed. That was hilarious.

I am still unsure how to take the whole blackwashing of the lives of people who owned legions of slaves, but it gets more roles for poc so I guess its a positive thing overall.

We also saw Six, which was a far better ahistorical musical imo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Soul trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYcwbEL-pg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

feedmyleg posted:

Was Dr. Quinn a good show? I remember being bored by it as a kid but thinking it looked well-made.

pretty sure they did the thing where a white guy coopts Native American culture to look mysterious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I really want to be excited for this, but Pixar's output has been pretty poo poo for a while now. Like, in the last decade, they've had Coco, Brave, Toy Story 3 (technically over a decade ago, but only by like 2 weeks), and a bunch of poo poo. (Inside Out was okay.) Toy Story 4 was aggressively bad, and Onward was just mediocre in a way Disney movies used to be, before Pixar came along and broke the mold. Now...meh. Like, Cars 2, Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3, and the aforementioned Toy Story 4 and Onward. What the hell happened? Admittedly, I did not see Incredibles 2, because I heard it wasn't great, and I couldn't do that to myself.

Also, way to bury the lede with that trailer.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Okay but what if halfway through this trailer there was a massive giant mecha world war or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

I really want to be excited for this, but Pixar's output has been pretty poo poo for a while now. Like, in the last decade, they've had Coco, Brave, Toy Story 3 (technically over a decade ago, but only by like 2 weeks), and a bunch of poo poo. (Inside Out was okay.) Toy Story 4 was aggressively bad, and Onward was just mediocre in a way Disney movies used to be, before Pixar came along and broke the mold. Now...meh. Like, Cars 2, Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3, and the aforementioned Toy Story 4 and Onward. What the hell happened? Admittedly, I did not see Incredibles 2, because I heard it wasn't great, and I couldn't do that to myself.

Also, way to bury the lede with that trailer.

Holy poo poo get The Good Dinosaur off that list. That movie rocks and gets better with each viewing. I know it went through production hell, but after having watched it 45 times during the pandemic (my 1 year old is mesmerized by TGD and Moana) it's super solid.