Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keir starmer, ceo of cops and centrist dads everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

keir starmer is a cop lol

No no, he's a boss cop. He's the pig who tells the other pigs to bash in heads at a peaceful protest.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Haven't police depts in the uk already been extensively defunded by the tory party anyway lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wonder what corbyn's take on the BLM stuff is, specifically anti cop stuff. Not sure whether he would agree with it or whether he's too tied up in the idea that cops are good.

If there's anyone in that position I could see getting it'd be him or abbott.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I do wonder what corbyn's take on the BLM stuff is, specifically anti cop stuff. Not sure whether he would agree with it or whether he's too tied up in the idea that cops are good.

His opinion on it is antisemitic, whatever it is, and that's all that really matters.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

He'd sieg heil, probably. For more details see my new Guardian article

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Nonsense that those police forces shouldn't be popping off rubber bullets like pop caps for the thrill of it and going about in tanks and sports cars with decals on :nono:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rustybear posted:

Haven't police depts in the uk already been extensively defunded by the tory party anyway lol

*ronya comes crashing into the thread to post about corbyn's labour suggesting 10k more cops*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1277379274446495745

Interesting thread.

The electorate as a whole is decently left-wing on the economy, to the point where even Tory voters are closer to Labour MPs than Tory MPs.

However, the elctorate is also socially right-wing to the point that the AVERAGE voter is more right-wing than Tory MPs.

Basically I think this is the data that's informing Starmer's extreme reluctance to be socially progressive. And it loving sucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd be more inclined to suggest that starmer's personal prejudices are informing his position more than anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Interesting thread.

The electorate as a whole is decently left-wing on the economy, to the point where even Tory voters are closer to Labour MPs than Tory MPs.

However, the elctorate is also socially right-wing to the point that the AVERAGE voter is more right-wing than Tory MPs.

Basically I think this is the data that's informing Starmer's extreme reluctance to be socially progressive. And it loving sucks.

all the evidence of new labour is that them moving socially right wing just turned the electorate more socially right wing but that it had absolutely no impact on voting because people who are that will continue to vote for parties they trust to give them what they want which isn't labour

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
his swift self-correction that Black Lives Matter is not a "movement" but a "moment" is... interesting. what does he feel the difference is. it sounds like he figures it will just go away after a while and then we can get back to not thinking too hard about what police do

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Angepain posted:

his swift self-correction that Black Lives Matter is not a "movement" but a "moment" is... interesting. what does he feel the difference is. it sounds like he figures it will just go away after a while and then we can get back to not thinking too hard about what police do

He's proving his anti-racist cred by misquoting Hamilton.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm fairly sure spazz, or spastic as a thing to call someone is originally a UK term. I think they got it through 70s/80s punk culture.
I think it predates that, apparently the US version came via a verb implying uncoordinated movement, to a noun for being uncool, so it was a lot softer than the UK equivalent of taunting disabled people.

American Dialect Society posted:

spaz, v.
slang (orig. U.S.). Often considered offensive. [< SPAZ n.]
intr. To lose physical or emotional control, usually as the result of an
intense emotional experience; to act in a bizarre or uncharacteristic way.
Freq. with _out_. Also in extended use.

1957 Hammond (Indiana) Times 6 Nov. B2/6 Jewelers, furriers, and furniture
dealers go through similar merchandising tortures whenever Wall Street
spazzes. [...]
-----

So if the verb derives from the noun, where are the earlier nominal
usages? The OED entry for nominal "spaz" has yet to be updated, so this is
currently the first cite:

-----
1965 P. KAEL I lost it at Movies III. 259 The term that American
teen-agers now use as the opposite of 'tough' is 'spaz'. A spaz is a
person who is courteous to teachers, plans for a career..and believes in
official values. A spaz is something like what adults still call a square.

Rustybear posted:

Yeah I think that's the problem with importing unreconstructed US terms (like above :v:), DefundThePolice means stop giving them tanks and assault rifles and instead fund social services and mental health. It's working, LA promised to do exactly that. It doesn't follow in the UK where the police can't afford tanks, but BLMUK are right that we should still fund social services and mental health rather than 10,000,000 extra cops.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Squirrel69Red/status/1277571767255490561?s=20

e: wrt to not sticking up for progressive causes because it might offend the statue nonces, having one main party going full fash and the other going "well we'd really rather you didn't but we don't want to make a fuss" leaves us with like ash Sarkar, Owen Jones and George monbiot (and maybe a handful of others) as literally the only people vocalising leftwing opinions and that is not going to get them normalised when you're fighting against the entire weight of the British establishment

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 29, 2020

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Angepain posted:

BLM should be a single point in time where we all come together and solemnly declare racism bad and then pat ourselves on the back and move on.

what we must never ever do is actually talk to any BLM activists/BAME people in general, make any sort of changes, or generally investigate how we got to this point at all

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

all the evidence of new labour is that them moving socially right wing just turned the electorate more socially right wing but that it had absolutely no impact on voting because people who are that will continue to vote for parties they trust to give them what they want which isn't labour

Well yeah but centrists are broken and will only consider chasing voters rather than trying to convince them to change their minds so...

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
tbf he was top cop! (the most effectual!, who's intellectual!) whadda yer expect

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Rustybear posted:

BLM should be a single point in time where we all come together and solemnly declare racism bad and then pat ourselves on the back and move on.

what we must never ever do is actually talk to any BLM activists/BAME people in general, make any sort of changes, or generally investigate how we got to this point at all

Yeah, I mean I thought we fixed racism when MLK said he had a dream. Maybe we just need to do it one more time and it'll stick. And recasting Cleveland is the way to do that, yes yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

He's proving his anti-racist cred by misquoting Hamilton.

Lol if you think that was anything as accidental as a 'misquote'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Black Lives Matter is about a bad racism that happened in America so we should all get together and point at the racist America and say "that's racist" and never reflect on ourselves.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can I still laugh at Brass Eye's "quadraspazzed on a lifeglug?", where does that fall on the bad spectrum?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

OwlFancier posted:

I'd be more inclined to suggest that starmer's personal prejudices are informing his position more than anything.

But he's a rational sensible centrist, how dare you imply his worldview may be effected by prejudice or ideology! I think you'll find the liberal mind contains nothing but facts, science, polling data and reasonable compromises :/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Desiderata posted:

I think you'll find the liberal mind contains nothing
:hmmyes:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can I still laugh at Brass Eye's "quadraspazzed on a lifeglug?", where does that fall on the bad spectrum?

Moderate hurt but with a coefficient of small joy imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Let's ask the Answer Prancer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfXP1KbXPXQ

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Push up discourse has finally cracked my brain. It might be irreparable.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Every day he pops up in the news to prevaricate about whether some obvious slam-dunk bad thing has its good parts actually or congratulate the tories on doing the best they can at a difficult time and I'm struggling to remember when he actually said anything useful or good. The tories are killing people in their thousands and he just stands there with a thousand yard stare and a permanently furrowed brow with a face like a guilty puppy you've walked in on making GBS threads in your shoes.Two months in and I'm already sick to death of the sight of the ineffectual milquetoast tosser and if he wants to expel me for lack of decorum he can have my membership card and wedge it up his useless arse because he sure as poo poo isn't interested in fighting for my rights, the spineless, master-butcher-in-a-cheap-suit prick.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Starmer is MI5

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bollocks, I just lost a huge saved post about that twitter list of bad words.

I'm not convinced that we should cancel calling people stupid basically, but my opinion isn't cast iron and i'm aware of problems with it.

I think the root of it is that there are a lot of kids who are labelled stupid when they have undiagnosed conditions (possibly even undiscovered conditions) but labelling them as stupid is a convenient way for uncaring / underfunded authorities to not investigate why that child is struggling.

There are times when on podcasts, or this thread, or twitter when people say stuff like "Imagine not knowing X," and I didn't know X, and then I feel bad; so I get the 'try not to make people feel like poo poo about stuff they can't help' aspect.

On the other hand, there is something not only cathartic but also accurate seeming about calling Donald Trump a stupid motherfucker for failing to understand how skin, or light, or bleach works. There is a similar feeling to calling Brendan O'Neil and Ben Shapiro stupid, even if they use enough big words to hide how moronic their pet theories are.

In Destiny 2 at the moment there's a whole thing about calling Titans 'crayon eaters' that's blown up. If I understand it correctly, there was a big contest between the three classes, Titans won, and the other 2 classes grumbled that of course the big stupid jocks won. Someone started referring to them as crayon eaters, someone complained to the community manager that it was abusive to autistic kids* and the community manager had a rant at the community, which just made them double down on the meme.

I think it depends if you're punching down or not, like the examples of Trump or Shapiro vs say a teacher calling a kid stupid.

* Not really, I mean some autistic kids put things in their mouths inappropriately but it feels like there's a conflation here between autistic kids and kids that are just stupid. If she'd said pika she might have had a point.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Isomermaid posted:

Every day he pops up in the news to prevaricate about whether some obvious slam-dunk bad thing has its good parts actually or congratulate the tories on doing the best they can at a difficult time and I'm struggling to remember when he actually said anything useful or good. The tories are killing people in their thousands and he just stands there with a thousand yard stare and a permanently furrowed brow with a face like a guilty puppy you've walked in on making GBS threads in your shoes.Two months in and I'm already sick to death of the sight of the ineffectual milquetoast tosser and if he wants to expel me for lack of decorum he can have my membership card and wedge it up his useless arse because he sure as poo poo isn't interested in fighting for my rights, the spineless, master-butcher-in-a-cheap-suit prick.
Commentariat.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is it still OK to bodyshame Brendan O'Neil for his infinite expanse of forehead?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rustybear posted:

Yes, but strangely they can still afford to keep stables of horses for the purposes of trampling protestors and bring out hundreds of officers in riot gear for little purpose, etc.

Alternatively (or additionally), yes, job 1 is done, now when we next have a change to actually fund public services, let's leave police funding broadly where it is, and instead fund housing, social programmes, mental health services, PHYSICAL health services, additction recovery programmes, homelessness reduction, UBI, green jobs, etc etc etc etc.

All the things that actually reduce crime and the need for the police, rather than just putting more money into cops and prisons and criminalising whole swathes of the populace for no reason.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

You know what's really depressing me. We could get a leak from MI5 showing that they actively sabotaged Labour for ten years and pushed Starmer to become Labour leader and the most attention it would garner would be on twitter. The press would ignore it and move on. We've completely abdicated any power or position in mainstream electoral politics and we're just cut out entirely beyond occasional jabs about twitter.

I'm just so loving done with British politics and Labour in general.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's a member of the trilateral commission and you know which massive nonce was also a member?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jose posted:

he's a member of the trilateral commission and you know which massive nonce was also a member?

The real Deus ex is just painfully lame

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tbf to Donald trump he has done at least some good for the world by providing us a non-ableist alternative to various slurs in the form of "presidential"

also I only found out that the trilateral commission is actually real and not an illuminati style conspiracy theory because someone mentioned Keir starmer was on it, lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I was jesting about MI5 but after googling it :tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Is it still OK to bodyshame Brendan O'Neil for his infinite expanse of forehead?
Ideally we'd shame him for his odious opinions but I think the forehead thing is a proxy for that, there's plenty of people with weird heads who have good opinions and so we don't even notice the head.

Also he keeps popping up because he has nothing going for him other than terrible opinions which aren't even worth engaging with for the purposes of mockery.

Also

Gonzo McFee posted:

You know what's really depressing me. We could get a leak from MI5 showing that they actively sabotaged Labour for ten years and pushed Starmer to become Labour leader and the most attention it would garner would be on twitter. The press would ignore it and move on. We've completely abdicated any power or position in mainstream electoral politics and we're just cut out entirely beyond occasional jabs about twitter.

I'm just so loving done with British politics and Labour in general.
Black Twitter did BLM, the press hacked dead kids' phones.

Hopefully less people will care about the press and more people will care about other more communal sources of news as time goes on, although I can see the monkey paw curling over nazi twitter as I type this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

It's a moral imperative.