Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah that’s pretty much what I figured, I hate this country

Alternative plans might end up being in like March/April, maybe we can hit Sakura season or something. Hm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean I’m in Canada and booking stays for next May and even that I consider to be a 50/50 crapshoot right now. Global pandemic is really redefining the concept of pleasure travel for probably the next two to five years, if not longer. Not just for Americans, but I would say that the nature of American response has them at a disadvantage.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
im pretty sure putting fingers in our ears and going LALALALA NOPE means we're immune but yeah you're probably right

might need to put japan specifically on hold and look for some alternatives. unfortunate but it helps knowing this is global, we're not the only ones disadvantaged by this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

im pretty sure putting fingers in our ears and going LALALALA NOPE means we're immune but yeah you're probably right

might need to put japan specifically on hold and look for some alternatives. unfortunate but it helps knowing this is global, we're not the only ones disadvantaged by this

Another thing to keep in mind for any foreign travel before we have widely available and effective vaccines or prophylactic treatment is that you may have additional time on both ends of any trip: the global standard seems to be two weeks in isolation when you arrive at your destination, and two weeks in isolation when you return home. That's a month on top of the time spent at the destination, which makes a lot of travel not worth it unless you're going to be there for several weeks.

I hate to dump on your dream but I suggest you consider domestic options and save your money for the trip you really want in a few years. Foreign tourism isn't feasible for the foreseeable future.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At the rate the US is going, Japan won't even let us come for the Olympics next year.

I'm only half-joking. Like, if the Olympics were next week, we wouldn't have any participants, let alone live viewers.

The best thing to do is monitor their tourism site:

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

Once the US is no longer banned, then go for it. There is no point in buying a ticket in the hopes it works. Japan actually wants to keep their citizens safe. So they aren't going to let a bunch of filthy disease carriers in to ruin things.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the eu is going to let japanese people come here again from wednesday apparently, i hope the japanese government will consider doing the same in kind

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have a trip booked for October but luckily I got travel insurance before the pandemic was declared.

The U.K. isn't handling poo poo any better than the US so I'm expecting that to be cancelled.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shibawanko posted:

the eu is going to let japanese people come here again from wednesday apparently, i hope the japanese government will consider doing the same in kind

only after brexit is done

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're reluctant to plan domestic travel more than 2 week in advance. The rules may change at any time. If a weekend off Shikoku means my kids will have to miss 1-2 weeks of school after, then noooope.
My plans for visiting the US this Christmas… idk.

Nobody knows :/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

My plans for visiting the US this Christmas… idk.

I’m just banking on not leaving the country at all this year. Not even for Christmas time. I doubt the U.S. gets it together by the election. There’s still no guarantee that non-citizens can get into Japan at all right now, that isn’t going to change overnight.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Barring an effective vaccine that's cheap enough for the US to provide it to everyone in the country, I think it's going to be a matter more of years than of months before travel to/from the US is possible.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
looking to go anywhere at all from the us before 2022 is exceedingly optimistic

and honestly being international pariahs is about what we deserve, if not less

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am maintaining hope, I don't want to be trapped here any longer than I have to be. I bet there'll be a way to go to a third country and quarantine there and then continue on to your destination. Doesn't make sense for a vacation but for moving, it'll work.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
my timescale for moving is around 4 years probably, assuming i make it that long

so at that point i'll do whatever gets me out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My timeline is the second I have finished dealing with my dad's estate, I am out and never returning.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol How funny is it that people would feel like being stuck in America during quarantine (I think you're from the States, GF) is like being in Escape From New York

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Being on a plague ship is no fun.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i would be trying to get out rn if i didn't have a dog that i won't abandon in the plague zone

but i am absolutely never coming back once i do manage to leave

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

https://www.mofa.go.jp/files/100068738.pdf

They're entering talks to maybe open borders to countries where things are under control.
Just gotta sneak in to Vietnam.
Or become a businessman/

This map is cool too.
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

uguu fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 29, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thinking through a few days in Nara. I’ve done it as a day trip from Kyoto before and I think there’s enough there to keep me occupied for at least two full days — so I’m thinking of four days booked, two of which are travel, to see the area. I’d be coming from Osaka so my Hotel there probably checks out at 11 giving me a few hours to travel before I have to check into whatever accommodations I make in Nara, then gives me the late afternoon/evening to maybe look around for food or something? Outside of the deer park and just finding a random food place, is there anything that would be particularly striking after dark?

Then the next two days are full days in the city with no travel where I can do all the museum and tourist stuff that’s open regular hours, and the last day is checkout and I’m hopping a train to Osaka or Kyoto for Shinkansen to Tokyo so it’s really a write off as far as Nara is concerned.

I don’t particularly have any huge must-dos in Nara other than spending a poo poo ton of time around pushy deer. If I can find a tattoo friendly sento or onsen in the area I’ll probably tack that onto my loose itinerary.

I’m just kind of livejournaling my planning process since, what the heck else is there to do right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 29, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nara's nice to just wander around. Other than the obvious spots there's a neighborhood of older buildings and in that area there are maybe half a dozen sake breweries you can visit and drink samples.

A couple locals at a bar took me with them to Todaiji Nigatsudo after dark, it was neat. Nicely lit up and when you climb to the top you can see over the town.

The kofun are cool. The thing I missed that I wish I'd done is go down south, there are some tombs that are open to the public around Kashihara.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 29, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

there are maybe half a dozen sake breweries you can visit and drink samples.

And now I’m worried two full days isn’t going to be enough :)

quote:

The kofun are cool. The thing I missed that I wish I'd done is go down south, there are some tombs that are open to the public around Kashihara.

This is very much My Thing and wasn’t at all on my radar, thanks!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

It seems like moving would be easier than tourism, theoretically you could quarantine for two weeks and it’s not that big a deal if you’re staying.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

yes

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

It seems like moving would be easier than tourism, theoretically you could quarantine for two weeks and it’s not that big a deal if you’re staying.

They may not let you in at all right now is the problem.

And it’s “may not” because there’s little transparency about who can and can’t enter, other than the previously set exceptions — for spouses or permanent residents.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
They are not issuing visas right now so moving is as equally impossible as tourism.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I believe there's reciprocity there. I had read last week Canada, Japan and China were all dependent on also allowing EU people to travel there, and as of now, I think only China is still off the list so I assume that means that Japan's also agreed to let people in from the EU?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I was just offered a position in Hakodate - any honest thoughts on the place?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disinterested posted:

I was just offered a position in Hakodate - any honest thoughts on the place?

do you like squid

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Yes

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

then you will like hakodate

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Based on staying there two nights I'd say it's a pretty chill place.

By which I mean, bring some warm clothes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i mean id love living in hakodate - it's inaka but still a fairly big town, it's got an interesting history and stuff to see, access to sapporo and aomori, good food, nice weather compared to tokyo, it depends on what you like though

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So what's cool to do in Hokkaido? We're planning on going snowboarding there... well.. whenever travel is an option again during some future winter. I know Sapporo has a sweet-rear end snow festival and my friend will probably want to visit some whisky distillery. Also there's some hell mountains or something?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i mean id love living in hakodate - it's inaka but still a fairly big town, it's got an interesting history and stuff to see, access to sapporo and aomori, good food, nice weather compared to tokyo, it depends on what you like though

That's all a selling point for me, I don't want a major metropolis, just somewhere chill with some urban conveniences, good food, the outdoors, and preferably but not a dealbreaker no horrifying midsummer. Connectivity to travel is also a plus so I guess Hakodate is OK but not the best case in that respect.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

So what's cool to do in Hokkaido? We're planning on going snowboarding there... well.. whenever travel is an option again during some future winter. I know Sapporo has a sweet-rear end snow festival and my friend will probably want to visit some whisky distillery. Also there's some hell mountains or something?

for me, just all the natural parks and remote areas. this might not be particularly spectacular if you're from alaska or canada or something but to me it's probably one of the most beautiful places ive ever visited, especially shiretoko and that whole area. there's also more obscure places like rishiri and rebun islands and i liked abashiri prison museum. i like hokkaido because it feels pretty wild and remote, more like siberia than like japan

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's a mountain in Aomori (Osore-san, Mt. Fear!!!). Hokkaido has huge volcanoes.
Go to Hakodate, mate. It's a port town with historic buildings and stupid nice views. It's got that castle with the star-shaped moat.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 30, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's what... 20 minutes to the shinkansen station from central Hakodate? Not too bad if you want to travel south, at least.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Living in Hokkaido seems like it would be awesome, because cold weather and snow isn't as big of a deal as most people make it out to be (because we're all goons who never go outside), and the summers are so insanely better than the rest of the country. Also they have some of the best food in Japan. Obviously I'd rather live in Honshu during the winters and move to Hokkaido in the summers but if I could only live in one, I'd choose to live in Sapporo or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

peanut posted:

There's a mountain in Aomori (Osore-san, Mt. Fear!!!)

Uhhhh I think you mean Mister Fear :colbert: