Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

biznatchio posted:

So how long do you think it'll be until we start hearing about health insurance companies denying claims based on people's Facebook posts about refusing to wear masks as evidence that they failed to attempt to avoid or mitigate injury? Failure to attempt to avoid or mitigate injury is a reason a health insurer can use to deny a claim.

"good luck proving where/when you caught the virus" -every insurance company in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1277639615550275587

:tif:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dr Ding is a pretty cool name.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
at this point you can get the same quote from any random SA goon ITT

like yeah no poo poo WHO, no fuckin' poo poo. we have eyes.

heres a fun site with different graphs then the other doom graphs if you wanna change it up a lil

https://rt.live/

:negative:

e: oh also broadway is officially shut down until jan 2021 in nyc

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 29, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Tipps posted:

I have a dark vision of a hellworld where any potential vaccine isn't tested on good, god fearing (white) Americans anyways, but on expendable humans in the third world, who have vastly less legal and civil protection.

Surely Big Pharma wouldn't do that, right?

That’s exactly what’s happening, advanced vaccines are being tested in Brazil lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

just our luck this will be the first thing the WHO has been right about

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That’s exactly what’s happening, advanced vaccines are being tested in Brazil lol

They're not economically feasible.

I hear each successful dose costs brazilians.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

zer0spunk posted:

at this point you can get the same quote from any random SA goon ITT

like yeah no poo poo WHO, no fuckin' poo poo. we have eyes.

heres a fun site with different graphs then the other doom graphs if you wanna change it up a lil

https://rt.live/

:negative:

e: oh also broadway is officially shut down until jan 2021 in nyc

Florida you knuckleheads.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yes, this is a problem.

However, vaccines need to be tested in areas with large numbers of cases, increasing the chances of exposure so you can say confidently that yes, this vaccine prevents contracting the disease. Originally it was going to be targeted to front line health care workers in the US. But it was assumed that by June, case counts in the US would be way down so Brazil was a better option just in terms of disease exposure. Obviously AZ way underestimated how stupid the US is.

I would prefer a few human challenge trials, but no one asked me.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

canyoneer posted:

They're not economically feasible.

I hear each successful dose costs brazilians.

thank you for this.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rolo posted:

Florida you knuckleheads.

one of the fun parts about that site is when you rollover a state and it gives you the markers for stay in place orders started/lifted

who wants to guess what happens when you lift them?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Philthy posted:

I'm not the poster you're referring to, but I've been following along. The worry is that the health care industry is a for-profit industry. Salaries, bonuses, and employment itself is all based around selling product. Anyone that has any understanding of the history of Capitalism knows exactly what we're all worried about.

Basically, until we can socialize the health care industry, we're going to be loving nervous as poo poo about anything being pushed out during a pandemic where the POTUS is willing to let people inject loving bleach into their eyeballs if it meant his approval ratings would go up half a percent.

I wasn't going to reply because I couldn't effort up the words the way I wanted, but Philthy nailed it on the head. I can't trust the FDA since it is compromised or ineffective, I can't trust U.S. medical companies since they value the dollar over human life, and I can't trust my local doctor either because I don't know if they actually care or if they're just puppeting a larger organization or are in it for the money. So, I will wait for the go ahead on any vaccine from a health organization that isn't for-profit.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Philthy posted:

I'm not the poster you're referring to, but I've been following along. The worry is that the health care industry is a for-profit industry. Salaries, bonuses, and employment itself is all based around selling product. Anyone that has any understanding of the history of Capitalism knows exactly what we're all worried about.

Basically, until we can socialize the health care industry, we're going to be loving nervous as poo poo about anything being pushed out during a pandemic where the POTUS is willing to let people inject loving bleach into their eyeballs if it meant his approval ratings would go up half a percent.

Completely agree. And you have a right to be nervous. I’m not saying everyone line up at the trump vaccine injection centers as soon as they’re available, but there are people who actually care about safety and their work that are working on these things. I don’t get bonuses based on whether a drug/vaccine is approved or not, but I do care about the safety of the patients in the trials I’m working on.

For the record, I’m all for socialization of health care in the US, fully knowing that this would likely lower my current salary.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

for context look at this post posted in the last drat hour in another thread

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've worked in hospitals, every decision about patient care starts with "what kind of insurance do they have" and usually ends with "insurance isn't going to pay for that, so they gotta discharge them." It's all about insurance, not about patient care. Sometimes indigent patients get lots of care though...being totally broke and constantly going to the hospital is a legit strategy to get care, but lots of people have at least a little bit of assess to lose and end up dying at home instead of risking going bankrupt though the hospital.

The U.S. medical system does not give a drat about us.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
obviously there are a lot of reasons why people want to believe this, but there are more and more studies and evidence coming out that indicates that schools aren't a massive hotspot of infections like bars are. and i haven't seen any studies to the contrary

if true there is some very interesting explanation i'm sure

a couple of months ago anybody i saw posting this sort of thing i felt obviously had an agenda (get these drat kids out of my house) but by now it does seem as if there is something different going on there

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

biznatchio posted:

So how long do you think it'll be until we start hearing about health insurance companies denying claims based on people's Facebook posts about refusing to wear masks as evidence that they failed to attempt to avoid or mitigate injury? Failure to attempt to avoid or mitigate injury is a reason a health insurer can use to deny a claim.

Is this necessarily a bad thing? I don't know if Burt's "no bloodlust" rule is still in effect and that's not what I'm trying to do, but I don't see a problem with giving priority to people who tried to avoid the virus and still caught it as opposed to dipshits who publicly and proudly shunned basic safety advice.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Polio Vax Scene posted:

So, I will wait for the go ahead on any vaccine from a health organization that isn't for-profit.

Like who? Who has the capacity to start chugging out hundreds of millions of vaccine doses and also isn't a megacorporation?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

central dogma posted:

Like who? Who has the capacity to start chugging out hundreds of millions of vaccine doses and also isn't a megacorporation?

elon musk flavored vaccZ with every gRiMeZ album purchase

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

zer0spunk posted:

"good luck proving where/when you caught the virus" -every insurance company in the world
I mean, in just about any responsible nation every single infection is quickly traced and very few lack an obvious origin.Then again, I suppose those same nations have healthcare and don't need health insurance.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellGAN/status/1277632110849921029

Tedious toil later

https://twitter.com/delytron/status/1277674952972357632

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

elon musk flavored vaccZ with every gRiMeZ album purchase

Thanks for that :cry:

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Mozi posted:

obviously there are a lot of reasons why people want to believe this, but there are more and more studies and evidence coming out that indicates that schools aren't a massive hotspot of infections like bars are. and i haven't seen any studies to the contrary

What? The situation on the ground is the exact opposite of what you're describing. Tons of schools around the world have had to shut down quickly after reopening because of outbreaks.

quote:

Two weeks after Israel fully reopened schools, a COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through classrooms — including at least 130 cases at a single school — has led officials to close dozens of schools where students and staff were infected. A new policy orders any school where a virus case emerges to close.

The government decision, announced Wednesday evening, comes after more than 200 cases have been confirmed among students and staff at various schools. At least 244 students and school employees have tested positive for the coronavirus, according to the Ministry of Education. At least 42 kindergartens and schools have been shuttered indefinitely. More than 6,800 students and teachers are in home quarantine by government order.

quote:

Seoul (CNN)More than 500 schools closed again Friday to students after briefly reopening, as South Korea moves to stamp out a resurgence of the coronavirus in the capital, Seoul, and its surrounding metropolitan area.

Parks, art galleries, museums and theaters operated by the government in the Seoul metropolitan area -- home to about half the country's population of nearly 52 million -- have also been closed to the public for the next two weeks.

quote:

ARIS — Just one week after a third of French schoolchildren went back to school in an easing of coronavirus lockdowns, a worrying flareup of about 70 COVID-19 cases has been linked to schools.

Some lower grades were opened last week, and 150,000 more junior high students went back to the classroom Monday as further restrictions were loosened by the government. The move initially spelled relief: the end of homeschooling for hundreds of thousands of exhausted French parents, many of whom were also working from home.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/us-fda-allows-emergency-use-of-danahers-covid-19-antibody-test.html

Now I know Beckman is a for-profit corporation and the FDA is corrupt, but I thought I'd link this article in the COVID-19 thread anyway.

They're claiming 99% accuracy with these new tests and have shipped to over 400 hospitals. Maybe the time for contact tracing is now (3 months too late)!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

COVID-420 posted:

What? The situation on the ground is the exact opposite of what you're describing. Tons of schools around the world have had to shut down quickly after reopening because of outbreaks.

can you link these sources please? i'm not seeing the same thing

for example https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-france-paris-schools-precaution-coronavirus.html

quote:

French authorities have closed two schools in Paris as a precautionary measure after the discovery of coronavirus cases but they have not been classed as potentially dangerous clusters, authorities said Wednesday.

France, unlike some other European countries which have taken a much more cautious approach, on Monday resumed obligatory schooling for all pupils after the coronavirus shutdown.

Some schools had already been open at least partially for several weeks after the initial easing of the lockdown.

But a school in the 12th district of Paris with 180 pupils has been closed until the end of the week after three cases were discovered, the local health authority told AFP.

However the timescale of the infections—spread over the start of June to Monday—indicates that this is not a cluster, it added.

Another Paris school, in the 4th district and with 200 pupils, has been closed until July 7 after one case was discovered.

However the local authority said there were no other schools closed in Paris due to COVID-19 cases.

i can't find any news articles that indicate that South Korea is having outbreaks in schools, only that they are having hotspots in other places and may need to close more things down again

i saw some news about Israeli schools a month ago but nothing more recently

singapore reopened schools a month ago and their only hotspots are still foreign worker dormitories

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Worst is yet to come and babe that won't be fine
You think you've seen the Trump
But you ain't seen it slime

A wait til the count up's under way
Now is the time to fret
And wait til you see that tragic day
You ain't seen nothing yet

The worst is yet to come
And babe that won't be fine
Worst is yet to come,
Come the box that's pine

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01891-8

So uh... COVID-19 might give survivors diabetes.

I want to move to Mars, this planet is hosed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beachcomber posted:

Worst is yet to come and babe that won't be fine
You think you've seen the Trump
But you ain't seen it slime

A wait til the count up's under way
Now is the time to fret
And wait til you see that tragic day
You ain't seen nothing yet

The worst is yet to come
And babe that won't be fine
Worst is yet to come,
Come the box that's pine

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'll take all the vaccines so my immune system becomes proactive and hunts the virus down in an area around me. I think that happened on Fringe?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rexxed posted:

I'll take all the vaccines so my immune system becomes proactive and hunts the virus down in an area around me. I think that happened on Fringe?

There wan episode of Star Trek TNG that was like this. Some scientists genetically engineered some Super Kids and it caused problems because their immune system would lash out a sick person, attacking disease and carrier alike. All the regular humans on the station almost died because someone got the space flu and the kids were subconsciously, defensively killing them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chomp8645 posted:

There wan episode of Star Trek TNG that was like this. Some scientists genetically engineered some Super Kids and it caused problems because their immune system would lash out a sick person, attacking disease and carrier alike. All the regular humans on the station almost died because someone got the space flu and the kids were subconsciously, defensively killing them.

Yeah that's probably where I got my vague recollection from. Thanks!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

The U.S. medical system does not give a drat about us.

Also completely agreed :smith:. The system sucks. I’ve advocated and voted for pro-socialized medicine candidates, but we all know how that’s gone so far.

An anecdotal case doesn’t make up for it, but I have seen a trauma center here authorize a $100,000+ dose of some rare antivenin for a baby that was suspected to have been bitten by some spider. The parents would never have been able to pay for it, but the hospital did it anyway, likely knowing full well they’ll never get paid for it.

I also think it has to do with which hospital you go to. Here, we have what I like to call the “county” hospital that treats all cases regardless of ability to pay. I’ve worked there and I never saw a “we don’t think someone can pay, so we’re not going to help them” situation. They would send you a big fat bill, knowing they wouldn’t get paid, but they’d treat immediate and chronic issues that needed hospitalization. If you needed continuing care once discharged, you’re on your own.

Then we have the competing hospital that is run by a religious (:lol:) institution. They have built gleaming towers and the patients at the “county” hospital all complain about the rooms, saying the religious hospital’s rooms are better. They will treat immediate emergencies and if you can’t afford to pay, they’ll transfer your rear end right off to the “county” hospital.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I want to move to Mars, this planet is hosed.

this is nothing new for viruses; they've already been linked to type 1 diabetes

https://www.health.com/condition/type-1-diabetes/diabetes-enterovirus

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just excellent lmao :shepicide:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it needs to be said that they don’t know for sure if it causes it. It’s just a theory.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Posters ITT are literally antivaxxing and directly arguing against a professional that works in clinical trials

You don't believe in science and expert opinions, you believe in pessimism above all else

Bring on the dogpile and reports you stupid loving pieces of poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

feelix posted:

Posters ITT are literally antivaxxing and directly arguing against a professional that works in clinical trials

You don't believe in science and expert opinions, you believe in pessimism above all else

Haha love this hurt me daddy mood you have going. have you recently been In an automotive accident or maybe fell down and bumped your head or something?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
If the climate change consensus shifted to "things are looking up" you would flip your opinion on scientific consensus and construct a conspiracy theory about how the scientists are lying

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

Coronavirus vaccines are a conservative hoax!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

feelix posted:

so you did not look at the flower pot cat

you should, it's p. sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Somehow all the feedback on this is positive? Your comfort level has nothing to do with this. The virus doesn't care what color wristband you put on.