Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
They look like balloons a week after the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Honestly, there's nothing weird about boobs looking like that. That's basically just the reality behind what boobs do without support.

That said, the Ink Witch is such a freaking creeper. I have no idea what her problem is or why she is so obsessed with this guy she's barely met. Maybe she'll explain in the next page, but for the moment I'm just so strongly off-put by her behaviour. I was assuming he was like, accessing dream stuff by his own merits, but if that's not the case I'm just totally lost.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Riot Bus posted:

That said, the Ink Witch is such a freaking creeper. I have no idea what her problem is or why she is so obsessed with this guy she's barely met.

She saw Beauty & the Beast in her formative years and now has a fetish for ugly beastmen.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just another reminder that we still don't even know her name.

Have Snout and The Creep Witch had any positive interactions?
Initially:
- She lied to him with magic to make him an accessory to her prior count of petty larceny
- She nearly got him killed multiple times in the process of tracking down five-ish pages written in a font that could've been read from orbit
- She blew up his house and abandoned him

Since her post House Explosion reintroduction:
- She introduced herself by trying to "glomp" hug him
- She's repeatedly initiated other forms of physical contact that he finds uncomfortable
- - He's either too timid or too afraid to ask her to stop (which I think we're supposed to read as him being ok with this but is still the exact opposite of consent)
- And now we've just learned she's been casting magic on him the entire time without his knowledge or consent

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Riot Bus posted:

Honestly, there's nothing weird about boobs looking like that. That's basically just the reality behind what boobs do without support.

That said, the Ink Witch is such a freaking creeper. I have no idea what her problem is or why she is so obsessed with this guy she's barely met. Maybe she'll explain in the next page, but for the moment I'm just so strongly off-put by her behaviour. I was assuming he was like, accessing dream stuff by his own merits, but if that's not the case I'm just totally lost.

It's her middle that's super loving weird in that panel

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
what if the ink witch has a name but it can't be written, only spoken aloud

you know, for ink witch reasons

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think a big part of the problem is that they're fairly realistically drawn boobs as noted, but that it doesn't fit the bad anime style he otherwise has, making them look more crappy than they would on a real woman.

When everything else is exaggerate and stylized - albeit poorly in this case - realism will stand out as kind of disappointing looking.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Finding out that someone has been repeatedly casting mind-affecting magic on you without your awareness or consent would be like finding out they offering you warm, drugged milk each night before bed without telling you it was drugged. Snout is way too relaxed about this.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The thing that really hammers the loving disonnance here is that she knows it's loving wrong. She sees Snout's question and her expression is like "oh no, oh I hosed up, I did the bad thing and he figured it out". And then because Snout is post-facto ok with it we're supposed to think it was fine, even though the comic has already acknowledged that it is not.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
On the bright side, at least Snout's bed smells like girl now.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Mookie has hosed up ideas about consent

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
He has hosed up ideas about a great many things. It's just the consent ones are the most worrisome.

EDIT: Also remember that Dominic was raped by the busty musclegirl. They were still friends despite that and it was something treated as a joke. It was an 'oh, you!' moment for her, not a 'you loving monster, you raped me, I want nothing to do with you ever.' moment.

You have to remember that Mookie is coming from a world of anime, particularly 1990s anime. Rape and sexual assault are punchlines and comedy, except when a villain does when it's just edgy drama. But any and all things a woman does sexually to a man, regardless of consent, are either comedic and/or sexy.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

YF-23 posted:

The thing that really hammers the loving disonnance here is that she knows it's loving wrong. She sees Snout's question and her expression is like "oh no, oh I hosed up, I did the bad thing and he figured it out". And then because Snout is post-facto ok with it we're supposed to think it was fine, even though the comic has already acknowledged that it is not.
That would give me hope that Snout is just keeping his cool to figure out the details before he loses it, if not for the fact that that's pretty contrary to Snout's characterization (he's not been shown to quickly make well-calculated decisions). Having someone be post-facto fine with something because the author knows it all works out is right up Mookie's alley (especially given his messed up ideas on consent), but maaaybe that's not the case here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

He has hosed up ideas about a great many things. It's just the consent ones are the most worrisome.

EDIT: Also remember that Dominic was raped by the busty musclegirl. They were still friends despite that and it was something treated as a joke. It was an 'oh, you!' moment for her, not a 'you loving monster, you raped me, I want nothing to do with you ever.' moment.

You have to remember that Mookie is coming from a world of anime, particularly 1990s anime. Rape and sexual assault are punchlines and comedy, except when a villain does when it's just edgy drama. But any and all things a woman does sexually to a man, regardless of consent, are either comedic and/or sexy.

:stare:

I somehow have absolutely no recollection of that.

What the gently caress?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Regalingualius posted:

:stare:

I somehow have absolutely no recollection of that.

What the gently caress?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
She did it to Celesto too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
And then Dominic used her sex bond to find him.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elysiume posted:

Finding out that someone has been repeatedly casting mind-affecting magic on you without your awareness or consent would be like finding out they offering you warm, drugged milk each night before bed without telling you it was drugged. Snout is way too relaxed about this.

I think I just realized: Mookie's been watching or playing the Witcher, hasn't he? She's Yennefering him and he's cool with it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Elysiume posted:

And then when you realize your first question is to ask how rohypnol works.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Time to give 'em the 'ol Wednesday backpedal.

If she knew this was happening, why did she keep cozying up to Snout without asking or telling him what was happening? Mookie's blown it with this character so hard that I can't see a way you justify her behavior without calling it out in story.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I thought it was another Ink Witch that screwed over Arudak?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
She stole from him, so Arudak beat up one of her friends, which she used as post-facto justification for her original theft. This is why it's important to give characters names. :v:

It doesn't change the fact that she could've told Snout about this at any time with her "able to communicate information to him freely" ink powers and chose not to.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 30, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What’s really weird to me is how fast she shifts between Mom and Girlfriend irt Snout.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"I'm not using you and I need your consent"

oh so that's why you were falling asleep naked on him and coming into his dreams without asking, because you had consent that we didn't know about until right now

This is a new low for Mookie. He's not just rationalizing her actions after the fact, he's straight up lying to the audience. "I would never enter your dreams without consent, but I can't control it?" THEN WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T YOU MENTION IT UNTIL JUST NOW

PS this page might very well be in response to one twitter user who point this out:

https://twitter.com/Synthose/status/1277667701285097473

Knowing Mookie, he saw that tweet and was like "oh gently caress people don't like my ink wife, BETTER BACKPEDAL SO SHE WAS A GOOD GUY AND HAD CONSENT ALL ALONG"

All of this would be fine if at any point the Ink Witch approached him with romantic/sexual advances while he is awake so he could could give consent and reciprocate. Instead, nope, she keeps assaulting him while he sleeps!

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 30, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mors Rattus posted:

What’s really weird to me is how fast she shifts between Mom and Girlfriend irt Snout.

This is because mookie sees ‘good’ women as one or the other

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah, this 100% feels like he's read criticism about how their relationship's been handled and is trying to whip up some in-story justifications for why actually it's all cool and good. Admittedly, it was foreshadowed with the paper exploding in ink constantly, but it's still lovely that it's taken her this long to mention it to Snout and that she, knowing that her magic is uncontrollable, still sneaks into his bed naked and makes zero attempt to mitigate the issue! In fact, there was no indication she was going to admit anything to him, which suggests she would have been fine letting this happen indefinitely had Snout not called her out on it. All that, plus her dialogue directly addresses all the criticism people had about her behavior. It's the same kind of slapdash justifications used to vindicate Stonewater and vilify Siegfried when the readers weren't reacting to them the way Mookie thought they would.

As much as he's pissed away any benefit of the doubt, I can't shake the feeling part of his problem is that whatever image of the characters he has while he's planning completely fails to show in writing. So maybe for whatever little outlining he's done for the story, Snout and Inky really are meant to become close companions who trust each other enough with unprompted and unspoken intimacy... but he lets that conclusion influence his writing without actually taking time to get them to that point. And that's how he ends up having to backtrack when the audience points out that it's incredibly sketchy that people keep lying down naked next to sleeping strangers. Not that this erases all the other issues going on with this subplot.

Best case scenario narratively is if Inky's deflection is deliberately written to be another manipulation tactic and she's playing the long con. I feel like with the latest page though the intention is supposed to be "the Ink Witch can't control it, outside forces are making her look worse than she actually is", which is... not a plotline I trust from the guy who gave us Stonewater.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 30, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Seriously. Either the ink witch is gaslighting Snout or Mookie is literally changing the facts and lying to the audience. Ok, fine, she can't control it. But she still never asked for consent in the first place and short of Mookie going back and editing the strips, nothing is going to change that.

I will gain respect for Mookie if this is leading to Snout rejecting the ink witch because of all her manipulation. But it doesn't seem to be heading that way, given the way he's presenting both characters (as thinly veiled stand-ins for him and his wife).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 30, 2020

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
So... Ink Witch knows that her powers are backfiring in such a way that if she's close to someone she will invade their privacy. Apparently, under normal circumstances, she would consider that unconscionable. So she...

1) Doesn't warn him after the first time it happened.
2) Sleeps AS CLOSE TO HIM AS POSSIBLE knowing that proximity is a factor.
3) Doesn't offer to sleep somewhere else or keep her distance.

What is with this woman that her reaction to just wanting a friend out here is to immediately cling and put her boobs on him at every opportunity? I could see all of these things being reasonable character flaws for a character who is, in fact, a bit selfish and duplicitous, but it's hard to know if that's what the story is actually going for.

If I was reading this without being biased by the author, I would think that she's flat out lying here and is contriving reasons to stay close because she wants to keep looking at his brain symbols.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I'd have a smidge of respect if only because it means he'd have a villain that isn't an overblown cliche like some of his older ones.

If this was another writer, I'd be more willing to wait and see before making a snap judgment on this, because if Ink Witch is gaslighting Snout then it's likely the big reveal won't happen for a long time. And it could make for a good story to turn all the usual adventure and love interest narratives on their head by having the character driving the plot forward turn out to have been manipulating everyone around her! But, again, Mookie hasn't earned the goodwill needed for that, or more accurately he's burned it all up in DD by portraying abusive relationships in a good light, and by straight up retconning and stealth-editing Stunt's early comments about his mother's death to make him look better. So I'm not as patient about waiting to see if this is intentional.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mookie thinks The Ink Witch's actions are sexy and cute.

That comic is a reaction to learning that other people don't.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PoptartsNinja posted:

This. Again, you're all thinking like mature adults and modern readers who have a more mature understanding of sexuality and consent.

Mookie is not. Mookie is still operating as the dumb teenager who watched 90s and early aughts anime. Glomp! Got Yaoi? Etc.
Sexual assault and rape are funny and sexy and are only bad things when done by a bad guy, which is when suddenly they are depicted as drama rather than boner comedy fodder.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

They are if they literally had consensual cuddles or sex even once before this. Just once.

But nope, gotta creep into a guy's bed (and dreams) without asking! That's not weird at all.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

This is now the second time she has said "I hope you can still trust me", immediately after deceiving him, AND pulls the "you're the only friend I've got" card. This has long fallen from the Funny To Read And Make Fun Of tree and down into the poo poo-pile of Now It's Just Pathetic.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Safari Disco Lion posted:

This is now the second time she has said "I hope you can still trust me", immediately after deceiving him, AND pulls the "you're the only friend I've got" card. This has long fallen from the Funny To Read And Make Fun Of tree and down into the poo poo-pile of Now It's Just Pathetic.

No loving kidding. The "hope you can still trust me" line came off skeevy the first item he had her use it. And now she's using it again within like one day of when she said it last time.

"I hope you can still trust me."....loving no. I obviously can't!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

"I hope you can trust me" followed by "you're the only friend i have right now" also comes across as super manipulative.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So far the only documented times of her magic losing control is:

1) her ink exploding on Snout (partially his fault)

2) her nudely hugging him and entering his dreams

Oh and maybe her blowing up his house? Which is still hands-down the funniest thing to happen so far.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

This feels like the Cats movie, where everything is creepier because the obvious sexual context is totally at odds with the naive portrayal of the characters and the way none of them acknowledge it. The ink witch is calling him her friend, when she keeps slipping into his bed nude. And then there's the whole "oooo cuddling with a girl" thing from earlier. It feels like Mookie is a teenage boy getting titilated by thoughts of sex but then feeling dirty about it and scurrying away from them. And this latest thing is like double creepy because nude dream visitation is so obviously a sex metaphor, but again it's going to sail past without anyone mentioning the idea of these characters actually being attracted to each other in a normal adult way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
are we sure he didn't write this some time in the early 2000s