Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've never really played Absolution, and I can't say that I'm looking forward to it given its reputation,
I didn't hate Absolution, but I had very little history with the Hitman games before it. And I only paid like $4 during a Steam sale. I still remember a lot of the levels and how they chained together. I think I also half-lucked into the best way to play it: hard difficulty, no restarting a level unless you die. After finishing all of them, decide if you want to go back and do challenges.

DLC Inc posted:

Would be amazing for 47 to use several different cosplay disguises,
Only disguise in the game that can open carry a sniper rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As someone who more or less followed the series as it came out, yeah those old games are really tough to get into now. Honestly you can safely disregard most of it. The lore connections aren't really that inportant and all the best classic missions have been remade in some form or another in the newer games.

Absolutely loving bonkers that Blood Money had 3 different item interaction buttons.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I love Blood Money but I played it so much in the decade after its release that I don't feel like ever playing it again.

I'll probably reinstall Absolution in December or early January. I've 100%ed it, so I imagine it'll be interesting to revisit without the need to anything special. Also with the knowledge that the modern trilogy exists and that it is everything I wanted a Hitman game to be.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress me but this took so long. It's the escalation on Bangkok that starts with killing that one guy with a hatchet, the final step added Sticky Hatchet - any action that would get the hatchet out of your hands instantly fails you. Including body moving. Including turning on distraction set pieces. Including hiding in loving boxes. First four stages? Absolute breeze. Final stage? Hours.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh god, y'all...the grandchild-wanting character from Paris is a crowd member in Sgail, in the initial eating area. She calls her son if you wait around. :allears:

There has gotta be dozens of these little connections tucked away that I will never figure out. The fact that I actually recognized Jason Portman and Amos Dexter were both at Sgail is pretty much as savvy as I'm ever gonna get with it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I put hundred or thousands of hours into Blood Money. I still say your gaming time is better invested in Hitman 2016/2. If you're really interested, LetsPlays have probably covered every angle possible in the old games. That said, there are two elements that I'd love to see brought forward into Hitman 3:

1. You're a hitman for money. But money is completely divorced from the game now. BM offered tangible benefits and choices for your hitmoney.
2. The newspapers made it feel like you had an actual impact on the world, and helped expand the world beyond the little slice you walked around in.

IOI has shown their skill at environmental story-telling, but I'd still love to seem some kind of additional reaction outside the mission. Something like a twitter stream: Go noisy, and there's panicked posts about a shooter/sniper/crazed lunatic with a meat cleaver. Go quiet, and there's a few updates about the target lost in a tragic gardening accident, or even that the target has "checked into a private hospital with exhaustion", if you disposed of the body through the shredder/acid vat/avalanche/incinerator.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Hello everyone! Never posted in this thread before so I hope you're all nice. :)

I've been replaying Blood Money, which I got as a quick pandemic purchase in the PS4 double pack with Absolution. I've never really played Absolution, and I can't say that I'm looking forward to it given its reputation, but BM is still good. I only have two trophies left: get 5 Silent Assassin rankings in professional mode (I can't remember which ones I've already cleared so it's an issue of going back through them one at a time) and finish a level with exactly 47 kills (I am bad at counting).

I'm also watching a playthrough of Silent Assassin for the sake of nostalgia, and because I don't think I could actually go back to it after BM. SA is a good game, but it's crazy just how much of a step up BM was: the revamped accident system, more effective non-lethal means of taking down non-targets, no pointless (and horrible) intermezzo levels, more leeway when using disguises, etc. The one aspect I think SA does slightly better is Jesper Kyd's soundtrack, but both are good.

Favourite BM level: so many to choose from but I think it's You Better Watch Out.

Least favourite BM level: not counting Death of a Showman or Requiem, probably Death on the Mississippi just because it's long and somewhat unforgiving at points.

I think my favourite BM mission would have to be A House of Cards - so I hope we get another, similar mission in Hitman 3. (Maybe the Dubai tower one?) The others are good though - I always had a lot of fun on You Better Watch Out. I agree with your opinion on the Mississipi mission, though...that one was always a bit of a pain, so I don't think I replayed it much.

I definitely agree with the others, though - if you haven't played the new Hitman games yet, definitely get Hitman 2 and the legacy pack. You won't be disappointed!

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

My favorite was Curtains Down, so many possibilities

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
A House of Cards was fun, aye. With 945 hours played since 2016 I should really be more certain of this but the new engine can't do elevators can it? Everwhere is all stairs.

Also they need to bring back the crow costume from BM :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Also they need to bring back the crow costume from BM :v:

Oh yeah, 100% this! :D Especially if it's being worn by a grizzled old albino clone assassin. (Since didn't they have defects like aging rapidly and the risk of going insane after a while?)
Could be a situation like how he's the last one, out for revenge - one that wasn't involved with/killed in 47's missions during BM.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh god, y'all...the grandchild-wanting character from Paris is a crowd member in Sgail, in the initial eating area. She calls her son if you wait around. :allears:

Oh my God :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

On my run she was an NPC wearing a small black top hat and fur- I'm not sure if it's randomized, though, as she's a crowd AI and not an actual NPC.

Dabir posted:

gently caress me but this took so long. It's the escalation on Bangkok that starts with killing that one guy with a hatchet, the final step added Sticky Hatchet - any action that would get the hatchet out of your hands instantly fails you. Including body moving. Including turning on distraction set pieces. Including hiding in loving boxes. First four stages? Absolute breeze. Final stage? Hours.

I hear you, that one (Arthrin Occultation) and Eccleston Illumination level four are the hardest escalation levels to SA by a pretty long shot. So if nothing else you're past the hump! What did you ultimately do?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I went around the area knocking out anyone who could possibly get in the way, then lured the hatchet target indoors to get killed. The gardener next to him was the trickiest - probably didn't need to get that guy but I was sick of the fucker spotting mr. Almost poo poo myself when the woman from the laundry room was on her smoke break as I left, I'd never seen her do that before.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Major Isoor posted:

I think my favourite BM mission would have to be A House of Cards - so I hope we get another, similar mission in Hitman 3. (Maybe the Dubai tower one?) The others are good though - I always had a lot of fun on You Better Watch Out. I agree with your opinion on the Mississipi mission, though...that one was always a bit of a pain, so I don't think I replayed it much.

I definitely agree with the others, though - if you haven't played the new Hitman games yet, definitely get Hitman 2 and the legacy pack. You won't be disappointed!

I will almost certainly get around to the new games later! This revisit of BM was just meant to tithe me over at this weird moment in time really (and I'll give Absolution a go because it came with it). I might review each level in BM at some point if people think that might be fun. Otherwise it's great to see so many people speak positively of the new games here, I'm looking forward to trying them.

Agreed on House of Cards and Curtains Down also being great.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think 47 is onto the devs

The final level in Hitman 3 should be the ioi offices. They could call it “Death of the Author”.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DalaranJ posted:

The final level in Hitman 3 should be the ioi offices. They could call it “Death of the Author”.
It IS sort of strange that 47 hasn't visited Denmark. Sure, he's sort of a good guy version of James Bond, so exotic locales are part of the experience (and they might seem exotic for most players! I mean, how many Danish locations have been in a game??), but knowing my fellow Danes it is just so out of character for the Danish side of things to be as absent as they are. I suppose 2016 does give you a pompous Swede as a target, which is very Danish.

As for to ioi offices, it doesn't seem like a terrible location really. Going southeast from the ioi offices you have a couple of small blocks with narrow streets that open up unto a wide square with a castle at the other end, with probably the prettiest parts of the harbor right next to it, allowing for a sort of Sapienza/Paris combo. If you're open to remixing a bit, there is also a royal garden and a neat church nearby.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It IS sort of strange that 47 hasn't visited Denmark. Sure, he's sort of a good guy version of James Bond, so exotic locales are part of the experience (and they might seem exotic for most players! I mean, how many Danish locations have been in a game??), but knowing my fellow Danes it is just so out of character for the Danish side of things to be as absent as they are. I suppose 2016 does give you a pompous Swede as a target, which is very Danish.

As for to ioi offices, it doesn't seem like a terrible location really. Going southeast from the ioi offices you have a couple of small blocks with narrow streets that open up unto a wide square with a castle at the other end, with probably the prettiest parts of the harbor right next to it, allowing for a sort of Sapienza/Paris combo. If you're open to remixing a bit, there is also a royal garden and a neat church nearby.

Honestly I'm completely down for more "neighborhood" levels in Hitman, ala Sapienza n' Mumbai. I think they're more fun than single location levels ala Hokkaido n' Resort Island. Not to say that they're bad but I like running into completely unrelated areas that are neat to explore like the Church in Sapienza and the Chawls in Mumbai.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It IS sort of strange that 47 hasn't visited Denmark.

When I visited Denmark last year with my other half, we both pointed out that a lot of it felt like a video game anyway. It’s all very square and orderly and spotless. Plus your countryside was like driving through the Win95 desktop wallpaper.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Welcome to LEGOLAND, 47.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mierenneuker posted:

Welcome to LEGOLAND, 47.

OMG, a level in the Lego House would be amazing. Hide a body in the Lego bricks.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Now I want an entire map made out of Legos with it all be completely destructible. Every single thing just shattering apart during the gun battles or expulsions. Not a door in the wall? Make one!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Hitman: Minecraft A World of Blocks coming 2022.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

When I visited Denmark last year with my other half, we both pointed out that a lot of it felt like a video game anyway. It’s all very square and orderly and spotless. Plus your countryside was like driving through the Win95 desktop wallpaper.
Note: We're the trashy sibling of the Scandinavian countries.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly I'm completely down for more "neighborhood" levels in Hitman, ala Sapienza n' Mumbai. I think they're more fun than single location levels ala Hokkaido n' Resort Island. Not to say that they're bad but I like running into completely unrelated areas that are neat to explore like the Church in Sapienza and the Chawls in Mumbai.
I think the greatest potential of the neighborhood levels is how they can allow very different approaches to a target, even if it hasn't been realized quite as well as I'd like. Both in terms of how you enter their secure areas, but also in how you can draw them out. Plus they're ideal for alternate missions.

The_Doctor posted:

OMG, a level in the Lego House would be amazing. Hide a body in the Lego bricks.

Unlocked: Lego brick

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm kind of mad that the sniping minigame spoiled it, because I wanted a prison level (where Jason Portman is purging 20 consecutive life sentences for all your murders).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm kind of mad that the sniping minigame spoiled it, because I wanted a prison level (where Jason Portman is purging 20 consecutive life sentences for all your murders).
Convicted as Helmut Kruger.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Kuiperdolin posted:

The big engine change between 2 and 3: the ai can no longer open locked doors without the right key :v:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Unlocked: Lego brick
Thrown for a knockout, placed to paralyze the victim stepping on it by pain, like a shock mine

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1278328331721748482

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Developer insights:
  • It's the end of the current story.
  • It's darker than the previous two seasons.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Developer insights:
  • It's the end of the current story.
  • It's darker than the previous two seasons.

Coincidentally, I just started watching a playthrough of Contracts!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The final mission: “Your target is Agent 47, a ruthless assassin of unknown origin. Take him out, and find a new life. Do that for me, 47.”

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm wondering if we're going to get a chance to take down either Shadow the Hedgehog (fancy new guy) or Diana. I mean I don't want to take down either but that'll be a real wrench in the toolbox if we have to.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The final mission will be to kill Diana’s dad but this time for real.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah, 100% this! :D Especially if it's being worn by a grizzled old albino clone assassin. (Since didn't they have defects like aging rapidly and the risk of going insane after a while?)
Could be a situation like how he's the last one, out for revenge - one that wasn't involved with/killed in 47's missions during BM.

That... is Mark Purayah VII.

edit: HITMAN WORLDS OF ASSASSINATIONS is a soft reboot anyway, so it's not like they'd have to stretch to include a Purayah or Parchezzi if they really wanted to.

Also, I always thought it was kinda neat that the entirety of Contracts takes place between Curtains Down and Flatline in Blood Money. 47 gets himself shot by a policeman who knew his targets, stumbles to a hotel on a rainy night, and remembers a bunch of his previous missions, which all happen to take place on rainy nights (or at least most of them). After he deals with the cop, he heals and goes to California, and the only reference to the events of Contracts is Diana saying "I'm glad to hear you've fully recovered."

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 2, 2020

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The final mission: “Your target is Agent 47, a ruthless assassin of unknown origin. Take him out, and find a new life. Do that for me, 47.”

You joke but I could see this happening pretty easily.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chakron posted:

You joke but I could see this happening pretty easily.

Oh yeah, I’m 75% serious on that actually being the ending. “Kill” 47, start a new life.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That was already the ending of Blood Money though :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, I’m 75% serious on that actually being the ending. “Kill” 47, start a new life.

Agent 47 tearfully puts his duck down on the table and turns around

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Agent 47 tearfully puts his duck down on the table and turns around

At least he’ll finally be able to pursue his dream of becoming a jazz musician. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The best final mission would be you having to hunt down and kill 48, or some other clone of you, while at the same time he's roaming the map trying to hunt you down at the same time.

That would be very difficult to program though, I can imagine.