Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Wow, okay. That's good to know, I guess. Does leveling mage make magic do actual damage, or am I just screwed without grinding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've tried Angela as both Grand Divina and Magus, and the GD is superior. Yes, Ancient Curse is a super strong spell but the cast time takes forever, and it honestly isn't as much damage as casting 3 Lucent beams in a row which would take the same time. Plus, more enemies are weak to light as opposed to dark. The only enemy that will really give you an annoyance is the light benovodon, but you could just use earthquake or any other level 2 instead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

seiferguy posted:

I've tried Angela as both Grand Divina and Magus, and the GD is superior. Yes, Ancient Curse is a super strong spell but the cast time takes forever, and it honestly isn't as much damage as casting 3 Lucent beams in a row which would take the same time. Plus, more enemies are weak to light as opposed to dark. The only enemy that will really give you an annoyance is the light benovodon, but you could just use earthquake or any other level 2 instead.

I think the argument for Magus is the Wound Magic stuff. The question is does that mitigate not having any AoE tier 2 magic. I haven't tried to compare stuff like Spike Freeze to Spike Freeze+ because Lucent Beam+ is such a universal murder tool aside from like... the light Benevodon and Black Rabite.

The question I'm curious about is Grand Diviner vs Archmage. Both get Lucent Beam+, so the argument is between Elemental Combo II/Judge vs Limit Break II/Tough.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

The question I'm curious about is Grand Diviner vs Archmage. Both get Lucent Beam+, so the argument is between Elemental Combo II/Judge vs Limit Break II/Tough.

Also about the passive skill.

Grand Diviner seems to be all about killing mobs. The passive skill give back mana at the end of each fight so you are always topped up when killing mobs, and Limit Break gives good damage all the time while Tough means mobs just melt.

Archmage seems more boss-centred. The passive skill gives back mana in the middle of dangerous fights, Elemental Combo begins weaker than Limit Break but scales a bit higher after a few seconds, and Judge applies to bosses.

So, huh, it depends if you are struggling against mobs or bosses more.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah. I did playthrus with both and found bosses simply melt with ancient curse, it's kind of absurd. Lucent Beam+ is definitely the fastest at clearing trash but you can do that easily enough with other spells anyway, LB is just the most convenient option. On ng+ you're one or two shotting everything anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Man, (end/postgame spoilers) Dragon Anise killed me almost instantly after I blew through her first form half-asleep. How weird. That's my second game over of the entire game.

Did I get unlucky? Is there some strategy or preparation that helps? Running Hawkeye (D/L/D), Reisz (L/D/L), Angela (L/L/L).

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Just an unlucky hit really.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Duran is always a good grab because he’s sturdy enough he won’t be getting one shot and can at the very least get Angela back up after unlucky hits like that.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Honestly now sure how Riesz got 1 shot there either since she's also more than sturdy enough to drink some tea after getting a beam to the face or punch in the back of the head

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 16, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shoenin posted:

Honestly now sure how Riesz got 1 shot there either since she's also more than sturdy enough to drink some tea after getting a beam to the face or punch in the back of the head

It wasn't one-shot, it was like there were two/three attacks that came out so fast it was impossible to both get out of the way AND get off a heal to patch up the damage or rez Angela while doing so

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The thing about that boss is that her attacks in that phase come out in twos and threes. She layers spell casts with another attack of some sort. Sounds like you got hit with a petrifying cloud/dark rain and another attack. Or her three hit combo that is huge but notable only hits in front of her.

The main strat is, basically, kill her before she can kill you. Unlike the other super boss she's weak to light and doesn't have anywhere near as much HP.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Or her three hit combo that is huge but notable only hits in front of her.

If you're talking about bite barrage, the second bite actually also hits on the complete opposite side of the arena too since it's hitbox is a bit hosed (like it wraps around the battlefield or something).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzCfMy9iflk

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm working my way through the Collection of Mana, having finished FFA and SoM. I'm looking to play Trials twice, with both the original version and the remake.

Originally I thought I'd want to play as all six characters, so I was looking to use two different groups of three for playthroughs of the original and the remake. However I've read that Charlotte is largely a redundant character in the original with the availability of Poto Oil. Is that still true in the remake, or does she have increased value there?

I was thinking of playing the original with Hawkeye, Riesz, and Kevin, and the remake with Durian, Angela, and Charlotte. But if it's not worth playing Charlotte at all, I might do the original with Hawkeye, Riesz, and Durian (apparently OP) and the remake with Durain, Angela, and Kevin.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You don't need to minmax the remake at all, so I wouldn't worry about making the most busted party there. Go with who is most interesting.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Charlotte is replaceable with items in either version but she's also useful because those items are very good. Dark Charlotte fares better then light in that aspect in both games since with brings more unique stuff while Light.classes are more support bots, which is great in SNES and eeeeh in Remake.

I'd probably bring Riesz in the original and Hawkeye and Angela in the remake to get the best representation of each character-. Riesz lives and dies by how useful her buffs or debuffs are as otherwise she's ok but not great at everything else, and in the original that makes her a fight-swinging powerhouse that can save your bacon in all matter of random encounters while in the remake it's hard to justify that when another character could be just dumping their own damage instead. She's the strongest character in the SNES game and the weakest in the remake so I'd get her at her best.

Angela and Hawkeye, alternatively, suffer for two reasons in the SNES game- 1) They're the two characters with the most power gated behind 3rd classes in the SNES game, which you barely get access to, and 2) as the Spells and Tech- focused characters respectively, they're the two characters most punished by SD3's fondness of countering spells and techs with spells and techs that devastate your team. Also, Angela's Dark path and Hawk's Light path might not as well exist on SNES, so you may as well get more options.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Angela was absolute garbage hardmode on SNES and I won't hear otherwise. Between the cast times, MP limit (forcing you to use another precious item slot on walnuts), and ubiquitous back-half spell counters she made absolutely no sense to use from a gameplay perspective, just absolutely murdered any battle momentum

Makes it all the sweeter that she's insanely good in the remake

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mr. Locke posted:

I'd probably bring Riesz in the original and Hawkeye and Angela in the remake to get the best representation of each character-.
OK. Looking at it a bit more I might try Kevin, Charlotte, and Riesz in the original and Durian, Angela, and Hawkeye in the remake. I didn't consider the interface issues with item usage in the original that Charlotte effectively solves.

I'll take class path suggestions with those but I feel like that's easier to sort out with an established character lineup.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Not a Children posted:

Angela was absolute garbage hardmode on SNES and I won't hear otherwise. Between the cast times, MP limit (forcing you to use another precious item slot on walnuts), and ubiquitous back-half spell counters she made absolutely no sense to use from a gameplay perspective, just absolutely murdered any battle momentum

Makes it all the sweeter that she's insanely good in the remake

She never really stood a chance with the way menus work. Why bother going through loops of bringing up the ring menu, selecting your spell, selecting your target, then watching the spell animation when you can just put Kevin in your party and have him hit stuff? Carlie's Heal Light and Lise's stat ups/downs were impactful enough to bother going through with it, just getting damage comparable to a basic attack made her a hassle to use with no real benefit. Not sure she did more damage than a Death Hand even if you were reliably exploiting elemental weaknesses.

Even if they had given her the basic "cast your own spells" AI like in the remake I still probably wouldn't have used her because you'd still have to keep pausing to wait for the spell animations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I just finished my second playthrough at level 62 with only one tier 3 class because ??? seeds simply don't exist. I even tried the farming spots for a bit, no dice. No matter. Worse thing is though, I didn't get the story finished achievement for Kevin (but I did get the achievement for beating his story path's boss). He was the main character, even. Any ideas why?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Mr. Neutron posted:

I just finished my second playthrough at level 62 with only one tier 3 class because ??? seeds simply don't exist. I even tried the farming spots for a bit, no dice. No matter. Worse thing is though, I didn't get the story finished achievement for Kevin (but I did get the achievement for beating his story path's boss). He was the main character, even. Any ideas why?

Uh, did you thoroughly check for chests in all the Benevodons' dungeons? Because there's six of them (one in each dungeon except Gusthall since that one's a revisit) that contain a ??? seed and if this is your first playthrough, they should even be guaranteed to result in six different class items.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Never mind, I got the achievement after all, and some ??? seeds too now.

I was excited for new game+ but nothing seems to scale so is the only point of that mode to rush the game with whatever 3 character you didn't pick the first time for achievements?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You keep all the items and chain abilities you've learned, and any character from the previous files keep their levels, though new ones start at base levels. Thus even with three new characters you can trivialize the game if you got some of the big chain abilities like "EXP +300%" and "Spells cost no MP" and "Don't spend items", though you can also just ignore all those and pretend you're not blowing through the content with the other characters. It's still gonna be a lot easier than the first playthrough though even if you ignore as much of the NG+ stuff as you can, so sadly it's not great if you want more difficulty.

NG+ could have really benefited from a checklist of what you wanted to keep, so you can keep some of the more grindy items and abilities to obtain without having to carry high-level characters to steamroll the entire game after a couple of playthroughs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm finally playing the Secret of Mana remake and I'm just cackling at the inn scenes getting backed up. I'm through the Northtown Ruins and they're still having discussions about getting to sprite village every time I sleep

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I love the freak out when you read the captain's book on the ghost ship. This game hits me in the feels.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mega64 posted:

You keep all the items and chain abilities you've learned, and any character from the previous files keep their levels, though new ones start at base levels. Thus even with three new characters you can trivialize the game if you got some of the big chain abilities like "EXP +300%" and "Spells cost no MP" and "Don't spend items", though you can also just ignore all those and pretend you're not blowing through the content with the other characters. It's still gonna be a lot easier than the first playthrough though even if you ignore as much of the NG+ stuff as you can, so sadly it's not great if you want more difficulty.

NG+ could have really benefited from a checklist of what you wanted to keep, so you can keep some of the more grindy items and abilities to obtain without having to carry high-level characters to steamroll the entire game after a couple of playthroughs.

Yeah I was hoping that either stuff would scale up or the characters would be scaled down back to 1. Might as well start a new game from scratch for the 3rd run since I want to reuse one character from 2nd run and where is the fun in them being level 72 from the start :( Chain abilities I can simply choose not to use but levels I can't get rid of, right?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pretty much, and yeah it’s dumb and sucks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yeah I was hoping that either stuff would scale up or the characters would be scaled down back to 1. Might as well start a new game from scratch for the 3rd run since I want to reuse one character from 2nd run and where is the fun in them being level 72 from the start :( Chain abilities I can simply choose not to use but levels I can't get rid of, right?

You could always just opt to not use the OP chain abilities, and FWIW you could set the OP character's strategy in the menu to be as non-confrontational as possible, but then you have two appropriately leveled characters fighting instead of three so you might actually be at a bit of a disadvantage then.

Doesn't fix the problem per se, but maybe gives it more of the challenge you're looking for?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Nah, I'll simply start a new game.

Anyway I really enjoyed this, are there any similar games you would recommend? I already played Shining Resonance: Refrain (which is practically identical) and liked it too.

Hell, this kind of simple-ish action combat would really be great fun in multiplayer, too. Why isn't there an MMO that plays like this :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mr. Neutron posted:

Nah, I'll simply start a new game.

Anyway I really enjoyed this, are there any similar games you would recommend? I already played Shining Resonance: Refrain (which is practically identical) and liked it too.

Hell, this kind of simple-ish action combat would really be great fun in multiplayer, too. Why isn't there an MMO that plays like this :(

Ys 8. Ys 8 Ys 8 Ys 8. You don't need to play any others in the series (but you'll probably want to!)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ys games are basically the gold standard for simple but challenging Action-RPG combat.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Poque posted:

I'm finally playing the Secret of Mana remake and I'm just cackling at the inn scenes getting backed up. I'm through the Northtown Ruins and they're still having discussions about getting to sprite village every time I sleep

I saved the girl from werewolves by following her into the woods instead of proceeding to the sprite and getting kidnapped by goblins. At least 5 inn convos so far about her saving me from goblins instead of the thing that actually happened where I saved her from werewolves. Tsk tsk.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies for something that came up a million times before but it's time for me to start hunting ??? Seeds and I'd like a reminder where the easy mark chests are. I hear bee ladies and werewolves are the premium grind targets for seeds as well.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SuperKlaus posted:

Apologies for something that came up a million times before but it's time for me to start hunting ??? Seeds and I'd like a reminder where the easy mark chests are. I hear bee ladies and werewolves are the premium grind targets for seeds as well.

It might be less time consuming to do a quick run through some of the dungeons and track down the chests that contain them. (just run away from everything) The item they hatch is determined as soon as you open the chest, but between the six of them the items they hatch are usually mutually exclusive meaning you get a set of 6 different items. You can get like 4 or 5 and save-scum the last one.

The locations:

Fiery Gorge: There's a room with a lava pit on your left and fire jets on the right that push you into the pit if you mistime them. The chest's on a ledge immediately to your left as you enter, across the pit. You have to walk a path lined with wall jets to get it.
Labyrinth of Ice: Pretty close to the entrance. After entering the labyrinth proper and following the path past two or three monster groups, there's a pit with three monsters inside and icy steps on the far side to your right. The chest with the seed is up those steps. A little farther along is a silver statue in case you want to save-scum this one.
Chartmoon Tower: On the top floor in the room with the gold statue. This one's easy to save-scum since you can load a savegame at the statue, jump off the steps past the monsters and enter the room to your right for the chest with the seed.
Gemstone Valley: In the second area (the cave-like one) almost near the end in a passage lined with poison geysers.
Woods of Wandara: In the first room in the chest on the rocky ledge. This one's fairly easy to save-scum though since you can get this one before encountering any monsters.
Shimmering Ruins: When you enter, there's a rock wall to your left. The chest with the seed is on a ledge accessible from the other side of that rock wall and you have to have to go all the way around to get there. (this one's usually the one I don't get since you have to flip some switches to get there)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
ok game I get it, you like Griffin Helms. how about a Dragon Ring now

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SE Earnings Report

quote:

Q: Other than “FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE,” how are new and catalog HD games selling?
A: Sales of “TRIALS OF MANA” are so strong that they have significantly surpassed our initial expectations. In regards to
catalog titles, we are seeing growth in digital sales from our library, especially of titles featuring our core IP, and this is
despite not engaging in any special promotions. In addition, unrelated to HD games, revenue generated from one-off
sales of smartphone games also grew in 1Q.

So that's promising!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe they can do a remake and a new game at the same time now with even more budget.

It is really heartwarming to see the progress of this team in basically rebooting the series based on the strength of a mobile game of all things.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I get the impression they set a budget for Trials and stayed within in, and so doing above expectations was a pleasant surprise and not mandatory. Basically the reverse of Square in the 7th gen.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Picked this up recently as I finished my other Switch games and had some Amazon credit to spend. I like it so far but the camera is probably the worst part of it by a large margin. It keeps swinging parallel to the ground so I can't see poo poo in the middle of a battle as everyone's butts are in the way.

Using lock-on targeting helps with this, but the lock-on drops off seemingly at random on bosses, and when you kill a locked-on enemy you have to manually re-activate lock-on instead of the lock jumping to the next available enemy.

Are there any ways to fix/work around this or am I SOL?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

SE Earnings Report

So that's promising!

Terranigma remake Terranigma remake Terranigma remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SuperKlaus posted:

Terranigma remake Terranigma remake Terranigma remake

They should do the whole trilogy, that would rule.