Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Martian Manfucker posted:

This invite is expired

https://discord.gg/GK3Y2j should work from the D&D thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:smugjones:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Jun 20, 2021

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Arivia posted:

https://discord.gg/GK3Y2j should work from the D&D thread

This also is expired

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sassafras posted:

Thought I'd highlight that his twitter history got purged very recently - new politically-sensitive job, perchance?

https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan/status/1276571776089067521

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/cp24/status/1276679661494419458?s=21

*shovels some dead bodies into giant furnace labelled ECONOMY*

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
*shoves burning furnace labelled ECONOMY into vat of acid labelled CAPITALISM*

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
RIP flight attendants

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Reality Protester posted:

https://twitter.com/batulgulamhus/status/1275276817310466049

you know how we can restore confidence in law enforcement? a citizen's militia

Future Kenny interview: https://youtu.be/56zNyjII8Fg

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

has the airline industry been given immunity from Covid-19 liability? because that sounds like a great way to go bankrupt 10x faster

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:regd13:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Jun 20, 2021

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

haha no loving way am I ever getting on a plane ever again

I won't say ever again, but not for the foreseeable future. Maybe a year out, depending on what transpires between now and then.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CocoaNuts posted:

I won't say ever again, but not for the foreseeable future. Maybe a year out, depending on what transpires between now and then.

maybe when they have planes where you get an individual sleeping pod like 5th element

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The economies of scale needed to make air flight possible seem at odds with social distancing. There are two outcomes. The first, unlikely one, is that we will reduce the number of passengers per plane, increasing the price per ticket and making air fare a rich person luxury.

The second, more likely, worse, in fact, conclusion, is that they will keep packing us like sardines in a can, but have invasive testing and certification for all passengers. Of course, you will need to pay more to be tested, and the testing won't actually work, but it at least covers their rear end from liability.

This will probably come after the general public starts flying again and there is a Diamond Princess in the sky moment, which the TSA will use as justification for expanding their role into disease prevention.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Rutibex posted:

maybe when they have planes where you get an individual sleeping pod like 5th element

Maybe designed as "individual" sleeping pods, but if that were to happen you just know there'd be a whole lot of mile-high club action going on.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:smithcloud:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jun 20, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

Gonna be really funny when this backfires and we have to bail them out again

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

xtal posted:

The economies of scale needed to make air flight possible seem at odds with social distancing. There are two outcomes. The first, unlikely one, is that we will reduce the number of passengers per plane, increasing the price per ticket and making air fare a rich person luxury.

The second, more likely, worse, in fact, conclusion, is that they will keep packing us like sardines in a can, but have invasive testing and certification for all passengers. Of course, you will need to pay more to be tested, and the testing won't actually work, but it at least covers their rear end from liability.

This will probably come after the general public starts flying again and there is a Diamond Princess in the sky moment, which the TSA will use as justification for expanding their role into disease prevention.

I think you're overlooking the third option, where they keep stuffing planes to the gills but only pay lip service to screening for COVID because actual safety costs more money than performative safety.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Nationalize them drat

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
just end air travel altogether

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I figured by 2020 we would've had individual pods that could be fired from a cannon towards your destination.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RBC posted:

just end air travel altogether

excuse me, as a middle class white person it is my god given right to dump an unproportional amount of pollution into this world for my leisure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, we've seen your posting

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

infernal machines posted:

:iceburn:

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

infernal machines posted:

I see where the "infernal" comes from!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2020/06/29/toronto-city-council-votes-against-cutting-2021-police-budget-by-10-per-cent.html

quote:

Toronto city council votes against cutting 2021 police budget by 10 per cent

City council rejected a move to ask the Toronto police to cut its budget in 2021 by at least 10 per cent, following weeks of protests calling on them to defund the police.

Motions poised to be approved at the request of Mayor John Tory, which include requests for future alternative community responses to calls that don’t involve weapons, will actually see the police budget increase in the short-term by an annual $5 million in 2021 — if police fully implement body-worn cameras for all officers.

“What I’m asking you to do is show courage,” Coun. Josh Matlow said before most of his colleagues — 16 of 24 — voted to reject his motion to ask the police to cut its budget by at least 10 per cent in 2021.

“The evidence demonstrates that by investing proactively into the resiliency of our communities by helping our kids avoid picking up a gun in the first place rather than funding ways to arrest them and incarcerate them afterwards, by focusing on alternatives to policing where we can actually have trained professionals who know how to care for and support individuals who are in distress rather than escalate those situations like police officers can when the arrive with their uniforms and their weapons, is a better way to make our communities safer,” he said. “It protects people. It serves them better.”

Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam, who worked with and backed Matlow’s motion, noted the increased likelihood of being shot or killed by police as a person of colour or with a mental illness, saying a system of anti-Black and other racism needs to be addressed and calls to defund the police have been misunderstood.

“The defund movement is really about asking all of us to re-imagine what public safety looks like,” she said.

Transformational change has not come despite a task force to reform the police under Tory’s administration, said Coun. Joe Cressy, who also supported Matlow’s motion. He said he was concerned the mayor’s motion contains “no clear targets” for the re-allocation of funds.

Coun. Gord Perks challenged the criticism that Matlow’s request was arbitrary.

“Every budget this mayor has brought forward started out with an arbitrary number — we will only increase property taxes at the rate of inflation, all of the services have to be adjusted to match that number,” said Perks. “And the reason given is that if we allowed any other number it would become unaffordable for homeowners who pay property taxes.

“So we’re prepared to use an arbitrary number to protect homeowners from property taxes, but we’re not prepared to do it when the issue is anti-Black racism, anti-Indigenous racism and the effects of policing on racialized Torontonians.”

Ahead of the vote, Tory said his proposals were meant to be a “comprehensive” series of reforms that if approved would “set in motion a process that should bring about the kind of change at the pace of change that is needed in response to the people who have marched in the street and have been in touch with us in our offices and so on.”

He characterized his recommendations as a more careful and thoughtful way of eventually reducing the police budget and achieving “fair change.”

The mayor’s allies largely backed him on his proposals and rejected Matlow’s requests.

“I don’t believe that this arbitrary cut to the police services board will get us to where we need to go,” his budget chief Coun. Gary Crawford said Monday, repeating a suggestion made by the mayor’s allies that a 10-per-cent cut would inevitably lead to more than 1,000 service members being laid off — despite layoffs not being the only way to cut costs.

Another executive member, Coun. James Pasternak, called the mayor’s plan “a roadmap for getting stuff done.

lol, they couldn't even reduce the budget by a measly ten percent.

Well, time for more protests, I guess.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2020/06/29/toronto-city-council-votes-against-cutting-2021-police-budget-by-10-per-cent.html

he had earlier complained that cutting the budget would mean they can’t roll out body cameras to all officers so expect to hear that a bunch more

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a primate posted:

he had earlier complained that cutting the budget would mean they can’t roll out body cameras to all officers so expect to hear that a bunch more

What a bunch of crap. You can lay off 10% of police, cut hours by 10% and buy the body cameras with the teargas budget.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

a primate posted:

It's the same poo poo Biden tries to peddle in the States. I guess if you want reform* you actually have to increase budgets, you stupid protestors.

*they don't want "reform"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a primate posted:

A body camera that records you chasing down a kid and beating him blind is just what the reform needs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
body cameras are rather quaint now. they certainly seemed like part of a solution right up until the police started openly assaulting (and killing) people on camera

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
body cameras work if they're on every body

and can stream live, making confiscation irrelevant

could add legacy voice communication too I guess

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

PhilippAchtel posted:

God loving drat it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Body cameras, just like the ones that were on and recording as George Floyd was murdered by the police?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

excuse me, as a middle class white person it is my god given right to dump an unproportional amount of pollution into this world for my leisure.

bring back sea voyages if you want to go to asia so drat bad. also six months vacation to make the transit time worth it

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

They should be followed by a swarm of drones.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The body cameras need to livestream to a database where any citizen can evaluate the daily activities of any cop. The footage can't just be released when they feel like it or its pointless. Also the camera should have a little light on it that indicates its is on. If the camera is not on that whoever is wearing it loses all cop powers and protections of the law. They are just a normal citizen until they turn it back on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mameluke posted:

bring back sea voyages if you want to go to asia so drat bad. also six months vacation to make the transit time worth it

Yes please take a leisure cruise right now.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

The body cameras need to livestream to a database where any citizen can evaluate the daily activities of any cop. The footage can't just be released when they feel like it or its pointless. Also the camera should have a little light on it that indicates its is on. If the camera is not on that whoever is wearing it loses all cop powers and protections of the law. They are just a normal citizen until they turn it back on.

This seems like a ton of effort to simply document police abuse and killings, without really addressing the problems that are systemic and power related. I feel like it is the officers themselves, and the culture around policing that is the problem. Making them accountable to a crooked system isn't really going to fix anything.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

cops will just buy a small led they can stick on and say the camera is on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Russian posted:

This seems like a ton of effort to simply document police abuse and killings, without really addressing the problems that are systemic and power related. I feel like it is the officers themselves, and the culture around policing that is the problem. Making them accountable to a crooked system isn't really going to fix anything.

well yeah obviously dismantle capitalism and eliminate poverty first