Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ughhhh posted:

I know in NYC that many of the higher end restaurants are used as tax write-offs for the investors. Usually restaurants are used to up the value of property or location. None of the restaurants actually turn a profit and that gets used as a write-off or loss, but the value added to the property ends up being more than the loss and taxes don't have to be paid by the investors because the loss offsets the rise in value.

Unless I'm missing something, rising property value alone shouldn't affect taxes other than property tax unless you sell. It does let you charge more for rent above and around the restaurant since the property is 'worth more', and also let you get/hold larger loans since the real estate is the collateral. Alternatively, there's some dumb trick with 'adding value' to properties that basically lets you have near infinite leverage on real estate investments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mllaneza posted:

Nahh, that's fine. I adore cooked mushrooms, but putting them raw into a salad is just wasting an ingredient that could be made delicious with the skillful application of heat.

But with no sauce or cheese they're spending 22 bucks on bread with mushrooms on top. I bet it's for a couple, a women who doesn't want mushrooms on her salad and a psychopath that's been holding her hostage.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

they're gonna dump the salad on the pizza and eat it like a big ranchy taco

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Unless I'm missing something, rising property value alone shouldn't affect taxes other than property tax unless you sell. It does let you charge more for rent above and around the restaurant since the property is 'worth more', and also let you get/hold larger loans since the real estate is the collateral. Alternatively, there's some dumb trick with 'adding value' to properties that basically lets you have near infinite leverage on real estate investments.

That plus loans they take out leveraging the property etc. Either way I was just trying to say a restaurant is more a financial vehicle for the rich than the labor the employees put in these days.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 29, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skwirl posted:

But with no sauce or cheese they're spending 22 bucks on bread with mushrooms on top. I bet it's for a couple, a women who doesn't want mushrooms on her salad and a psychopath that's been holding her hostage.

Oh, the bread with mushrooms part is heinous, except maybe as a mushroom-themed crostini appetizer. Which this isn't. I was just addressing the mushroom discrepancy.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mezzanon posted:

Every day we stray further from gods light

As a former pizza station person who used to dread CYO's (our tickets looked just like that, too, I'm having flashbacks), I gotta ask:

So you/they just put dough topped with mushrooms into a 600 degree oven, with the result being a nice flatbread with mushrooms that have now shriveled into oblivion? edit: for $21.50?! haha wtf

I'm positive I've told this one before, but my all time favorite ticket was during brunch. We had 6 or 7 cooks on the line every week for brunch because it was insane, and the one time we all simultaneously shut up and stopped everything we were doing was when this call came out:

"NEW BIZ, GUYS! I GOT OMELETTE SPECIAL, EGGS... On... the side?"

After our brains rebooted, all 7 heads swiveled as one towards the KM, who shrugged and said "give 'em some scrambled eggs and put all the fillings on the other side of the plate." We didn't get any complaints, so :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 29, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As a former pizza station person who used to dread CYO's (our tickets looked just like that, too, I'm having flashbacks), I gotta ask:

So you/they just put dough topped with mushrooms into a 600 degree oven, with the result being a nice flatbread with mushrooms that have now shriveled into oblivion? edit: for $21.50?! haha wtf

I'm positive I've told this one before, but my all time favorite ticket was during brunch. We had 6 or 7 cooks on the line every week for brunch because it was insane, and the one time we all simultaneously shut up and stopped everything we were doing was when this call came out:

After our brains rebooted, all 7 heads swiveled as one towards the KM, who shrugged and said "give 'em some scrambled eggs and put all the fillings on the other side of the plate." We didn't get any complaints, so :shrug:

As an American i say this without pleasure, but Americans have within them the worst people on the planet.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Brunch brings out the crazies.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

SO a friend reminded me the other week about the none pizza left beef.

It's exactly as it sounds.

but, pictures are needed to do it justice. Along with the story, I guess?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Disargeria posted:

Brunch brings out the crazies.

I think brunch is the most popular dining time for people who've never eaten in a restaurant before.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I worked in a restaurant with Egg prominently in the name and eggs as a specialty. Got a ticket for a two top that had every item with "NO EGG" and ended with "EGG ALLERGY".

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

gently caress this industry and the ghoul house I must now work and stress out in

Bad habits I was dropping have come roaring back to deal with the tripled work load and quadrupled tension of dealing with this mess

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Nahh, that's fine. I adore cooked mushrooms, but putting them raw into a salad is just wasting an ingredient that could be made delicious with the skillful application of heat.

Please look at the large pizza that contains no sauce, no cheese, and is just cooked mushroom bread

That’s correct. Dry mushroom bread. And fourteen inches of it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
God, I hope they at least brushed the empty, empty crust with some olive oil or something first.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ugh, thank you for reminding me of my own "WTF" order from back in my post HS pizza driver days. Though it's more of a "You ate How Much!?" :gonk: story.

Working at a local pizza shop I pick up the phone when it rings as a customer places an eat-in order. I take a moment to deal with our brand new POS system and all of its bugs (I think this was at least after we discovered that black olives had a negative price somehow, still better than using carbon paper tickets) as this guy orders a large deep dish Savage* with everything on it and "extra Canadian bacon on it." CB is the one meat not on the Savage so I ask to be clear and yes, he wants not one but two layers of ham on the thing. Ring the order up, print it out, and build the pizza real quick before slamming it into the oven (days were slow as gently caress so the day crew was literally a manager, a cook, and a delivery guy so we all did a bit of everything that wasn't role specific).

A bit later the biggest, fattest "biker" I've ever seen walks in and pays for/picks up the pizza and proceeds to make himself comfortable on the table closest to the register and begins eating this 12 inch wide, inch and a half thick monster all by himself, a feat that thankfully I did not have to watch as I had to squeeze past him to take an order out. Which means I missed him putting two shakers worth of Parmesan on top: as in he literally unscrewed the shaker lids and dumped them onto the pizza, a fact I was blissfully unaware of until I cleaned the table and found the shakers after he left. And as the guy who did the vast majority of the dishes, I can confirm he loving ate the entire thing besides a few pieces of crust.

*Basically a Supreme pizza. The shop is/was called Conans and named after the old comic series "The Savage Sword of Conans". I hope they're doing well in these COVID time

Waals Vander
Jul 11, 2010

Live...
Laugh...
Post...
NYC FOH person here. Worked in many restaurants for 5+ years from burger joints to Michelin star winners. I wouldn't call myself a career server but I work with many that do! Happy to answer any questions.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Alkydere posted:

Ugh, thank you for reminding me of my own "WTF" order from back in my post HS pizza driver days. Though it's more of a "You ate How Much!?" :gonk: story.

Working at a local pizza shop I pick up the phone when it rings as a customer places an eat-in order. I take a moment to deal with our brand new POS system and all of its bugs (I think this was at least after we discovered that black olives had a negative price somehow, still better than using carbon paper tickets) as this guy orders a large deep dish Savage* with everything on it and "extra Canadian bacon on it." CB is the one meat not on the Savage so I ask to be clear and yes, he wants not one but two layers of ham on the thing. Ring the order up, print it out, and build the pizza real quick before slamming it into the oven (days were slow as gently caress so the day crew was literally a manager, a cook, and a delivery guy so we all did a bit of everything that wasn't role specific).

A bit later the biggest, fattest "biker" I've ever seen walks in and pays for/picks up the pizza and proceeds to make himself comfortable on the table closest to the register and begins eating this 12 inch wide, inch and a half thick monster all by himself, a feat that thankfully I did not have to watch as I had to squeeze past him to take an order out. Which means I missed him putting two shakers worth of Parmesan on top: as in he literally unscrewed the shaker lids and dumped them onto the pizza, a fact I was blissfully unaware of until I cleaned the table and found the shakers after he left. And as the guy who did the vast majority of the dishes, I can confirm he loving ate the entire thing besides a few pieces of crust.

*Basically a Supreme pizza. The shop is/was called Conans and named after the old comic series "The Savage Sword of Conans". I hope they're doing well in these COVID time

That guy rules.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Alkydere posted:

In college I was a cashier in a pizza shop and I still remember this one guy who came in for a slice with his buddy shortly after Atkins became popular. Buddy ordered a couple slices of pepperoni or something normal. Guy stared at the menu for a long time, conferred with his buddy, stared some more, and finally ordered 2 slices of extra sausage, no crust, no sauce, no cheese. The line cook threw a couple handfuls of sausage on a screen and asked him if he was sure. He was. Guy looked very sad picking his small, crisped, sausage nuggets off the plate while his buddy devoured his delicious slices. I forget how we charged him.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I won't lie. I could really go for some small crisp sausage nuggets. But I think it'd be more accurately small crisp ground sausage which also sounds delicious but infinitely sadder to pick at.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

It was absolutely not a quality sausage.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ughhhh posted:

I know in NYC that many of the higher end restaurants are used as tax write-offs for the investors. Usually restaurants are used to up the value of property or location. None of the restaurants actually turn a profit and that gets used as a write-off or loss, but the value added to the property ends up being more than the loss and taxes don't have to be paid by the investors because the loss offsets the rise in value.
It's this. I posted about it a million years ago in this thread, but it's a real estate investment. If they don't own the building, then it's money laundering/ tax avoidance.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Skwirl posted:

I think brunch is the most popular dining time for people who've never eaten in a restaurant before.

Oh god this so much.

But also the brunch veterans who are complete psychopaths when it comes to how their eggs are cooked.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't go out for brunch, because that's a pretty insane thing to do imo, and I hear industry people are not too happy about it either, but if I were to pay someone to make me such a simple meal I would want those eggs to be perfect. I would not have any special requests or anything, but I can understand being upset about spending $15 for eggs on toast and it being a mess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Eggs are the most sensitive protein and are very difficult to cook precisely... there are so many different styles and preferences for scrambled eggs that it's totally a fool's errand to get something that is exactly what you expect. It's kind of cruel to be extremely demanding about the cheapest meal that's also the hardest to cook so I would suggest ordering a burger instead.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Eggs are the most sensitive protein and are very difficult to cook precisely... there are so many different styles and preferences for scrambled eggs that it's totally a fool's errand to get something that is exactly what you expect. It's kind of cruel to be extremely demanding about the cheapest meal that's also the hardest to cook so I would suggest ordering a burger instead.

Yeah, it really depends on what the expectations are though too. If I go into a place for brunch, no, they're not going to have the EXACT amount of crispiness around the edge of my fried egg that I like, and expecting that they will (even if I'm paying $16 for it) is ridiculous. However if I order an eggs benny I should be able to expect a somewhat runny yolk. I'm a chef, I've done more than my fair share of brunch, and if a plate came back with a benny and they'd cut into the egg and it had a hard yolk, I'd be like "yup, we hosed that up. Send them a mimosa while I remake that".

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
God I love brunch but I won’t be caught dead going out for brunch for at least another three months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I enjoy brunch - I really dislike the crowd that brunch draws. At least here in Houston it seems to be overwhelmingly the after party crowd from the night before, either battling a hangover or keeping the party going. Not every brunch place, of course, but goddamn does that get annoying.

Or maybe I'm just old.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I enjoy brunch - I really dislike the crowd that brunch draws. At least here in Houston it seems to be overwhelmingly the after party crowd from the night before, either battling a hangover or keeping the party going. Not every brunch place, of course, but goddamn does that get annoying.

Or maybe I'm just old.

Sup grandpa

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mezzanon posted:

God I love brunch but I won’t be caught dead going out for brunch for at least another three months.

What's different in 3 months?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Brunch: great except for all the brunchers

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sextro posted:

The weak will have been culled.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Or maybe I'm just old.

Wait a min, are you saying that people go to brunch for non-hangover reasons? I'm not sure I buy that. MAYBE dim sum, but that's a big maybe.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sextro posted:

I mean I guess I should have said “at least 3 months or however long it takes for this global pandemic to calm down”

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I gotta say, as heinous as the mushroom bread and salad might be to eat, at least it looks super simple to cook. I don't have faith that customers will ever universally have real good taste, but at this point, if they're not making real trouble I have a hard time getting too upset about them given how bad the worst can be. Like, if all you want is to be made something bland and easy and you'll be happy, pay for it, and go on your merry way, fine by me. I don't have the energy to mad about that poo poo any more.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mezzanon posted:

I mean I guess I should have said “at least 3 months or however long it takes for this global pandemic to calm down”

I think they're pointing out that it's absolutely not possible for this to calm down in 3 months. The governments have already decided on the open/surge/shut/die/open cycle. This might possibly calm down a bit if theres a way to effectively vaccinate against it and produce enough of the vaccine and convince enough freedom loving Americans to get it. In this very optimistic scenario we're looking at 9 to 12 months from now. You should be banking on 18 months from now being more likely. If things work out.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

droll posted:

I think they're pointing out that it's absolutely not possible for this to calm down in 3 months. The governments have already decided on the open/surge/shut/die/open cycle. This might possibly calm down a bit if theres a way to effectively vaccinate against it and produce enough of the vaccine and convince enough freedom loving Americans to get it. In this very optimistic scenario we're looking at 9 to 12 months from now. You should be banking on 18 months from now being more likely. If things work out.

I’m in Canada where we are doing things slightly (SLIGHTLY) better thank you folks to the south. I’m fine being a homebody for years if need be. I’ll make my own brunch, with my girlfriend and my cats.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hello I would like to spend $42 on a ten inch pizza

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Does that even still count as a pizza? Jesus.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I once got an order for a quesadilla with no cheese. Was honestly more upset that the customer was happy with it than the order itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Mezzanon posted:

Hello I would like to spend $42 on a ten inch pizza

Holy poo poo murder