Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The AI turned around the Knicks. I think the Celtics will turn out ok. It's fascinating to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Guper posted:

With no salary cap, it's like every year is 2016 free agency!

I wonder who has the "worst" contract in the league? Though I guess "worst" now has to be filtered by how much money an individual team is willing to spend since we are in a world with several hundred million/year payrolls and also payrolls under 100 million.

Behold Paul George:

36 million dollars a year for 8/1/3 production on a sickening 38% shooting. He is making roughly half as much money as the entirety of the Boston Celtics----and might actually be less efficient than all five of their shooting guards.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 28, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Some things before update (Probably some time in the afternoon. I should get some sleep)

So the Celtics had players at every position, just, they weren't their best players. Their best players were all Shooting Guards and one Small Forward. Also, I think they fielded seven rookies. I'm gonna pay close attention to see if the AI ever does something like this again, and if it does, I'll see what I can do to fix it. As it stands, I'm inclined to believe it was a fluke season.

I did the salary cost vs team wins thing and for the most part, it turns out that winning games is significantly more important than contract considerations, but I also notice that with few exceptions, the teams that go the deepest in the playoffs have around a 3.5M per win line, with most teams averaging above 4. It's not to say you can't be a good team with bad salary---the Warriors were really good, but 6.64M per win---just very inefficient. Ours was 1.97M per win. The Ravens, who did actually make the playoffs, paid 5.03M a win, which is doubly hilarious, because they didn't play most of that salary any minutes.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Veryslightlymad posted:

The Ravens, who did actually make the playoffs, paid 5.03M a win, which is doubly hilarious, because they didn't play most of that salary any minutes.

I think you should step in and fire that coach if he continues with that "Rotation" next season.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Largepotato posted:

I think you should step in and fire that coach if he continues with that "Rotation" next season.

I might not have to. Most of the team is pretty understandably unhappy about touches/involvement in the team's plans.

I figure either the rotation will fix, he'll get fired, or the Ravens will restructure around the asinine coach. Just firing him as a player might not help, though....... Teams/coaches are unaccountably sticky, very much not realistic.

I wish I screen grabbed their free coach's name. It might be the same guy, only, when he was working for free, his personal settings weren't kicking in. I can't delete a guy.... I guess I could force fire him -and- make the Ravens hire someone else......

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 11, 2026-2027 Part 3, Taking Us Home

After the All-Star Break, the Honu continue firing on all cylinders, racking up a big series of wins and, eventually the best record in the league.

During this time we see career highs in points from both Mfiondu Kabengele and Gheorghe Filimon. Neither is on the team for their scoring, but both guys can fill it up if they have to. Kabengele actually frequently complains about his roll in the offense, but unlike Gobert, his complaints come and go as he actually can score if asked to. Just... let him have a touch here or there, guys.

Bol is still doing Bol things from time to time. At the end of the season, he was third overall in MVP voting (and yet.......)

And any time you get a 50 point game, you're almost certainly player of the week. Spy the two weeks worth of Marvin Bagley III. He averaged a ludicrous 30/15 when I last checked---the only thing keeping him out of MVP consideration is his team ain't winning.

I also had another game against the Celtics and I actually feel kind of bad. Not for beating up the Celtics, but for not remembering I was playing them, and benching all my injury prone players to run all three of my young power forwards for 30 minutes instead.

Finally, there was a meeting with the Hornets' new player Craig Payton, and gently caress that. I add the Hornets to the list of teams I have special rotations for, the special rotation being "Sasha Bilic guards this player at all times"

By the time the season ends, we wind up with this:

And I apologize for how ugly that image is. I swear I screen-grabbed the blank table, but it got deleted somehow. So I had to grab the table after the playoffs ended.

But, you're all not interested in the Honu anymore. I've been upstaged by another team, the Boston Celtics. So, in understanding of your demands, I have gone out of my way to grab screens of every single other game the Celtics have won this season.

...............oh. .....oh dear.

So yeah, they were indisputably the worst team of all time. I'm gonna have to monitor... I don't even fuckin' know at this point.... maybe there's a rule change that's a salary floor?

You know, it's sad that an "off" year for this guy is "not winning the MVP". This makes 5, making him just the fourth ever player to have won the award 5 times. The others are Bill Russell, Michael Jordan, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Kareem has six) Pretty rarified air.

Thank God this guy is in the Eastern Conference.

Finally someone other than Giannis. Good for you. These repeat winners get old after a while. It's nice to have some fresh Blood.

Oh, for gently caress's sake. (This implies he either outplayed Kemba Walker, or Kemba started at SG for Brooke Teague. So it's an interesting award, at least)

Called it.

This is the steely gaze of a man on a mission.

All NBA 1

All NBA 2

(See? Third in MVP voting, but only the second best center in the league. Also: Ja Morant is all NBA, but not All-Star. Again, no injuries. What the hell, selection committee.)
All NBA 3

All Defense 1

(Wow, Dallas. An all defense first team guy. Bet you're real glad you're starting Kevin Durant's sub 40% shooting over him, huh?)

drat it. PLEASE put Bilic on one of these. Also, two of these players could have been on the Bulls if the Bulls cared to match their contracts.

Can confirm Utah's Englishman rookie has the goods. Not only did he give the Honu some trouble in the games we played, but he was also the Western Conference Rookie of the month every month in the season. He's not yet as good as Payton---he just only had serious competition from like, one guy.

Amazingly, there's only one injury to note for any of the 16 playoff teams.

This could be a problem for the Heat.

[/b]IT'S PLAYOFF TIME[/b]
Unlike previous playoffs, I maintain my 11 man rotation to start with. There's no one on my 11 man roster who didn't have a 2 EWA (well, rounding up) on the season. My Chemistry going into the playoffs is above 80. Our guys don't need to adjust. The League needs to adjust to our guys.

Thread rivals, a repeat of the conference finals from last year. Are you ready?

Harry Francis is Ready.

..........yeah, this series wasn't very interesting. They got really tired, having a 6 man rotation and all. It's funny. This year, we did to them what they did to us last year. 11 great players just ground them to dust. It still took 6 games, since their six guys are pretty good.

Meanwhile, the playoffs start off kind of lopsided. Houston, Phoenix, Detroit, and Washington are swept. Miami is missing their starting Power Forward, but their big three of Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Darius Garland, and Ciro Reyes is completely intact. They defeat the Cavs in a furious 7 game knife fight. Memphis takes care of Philly in just 5 games (!). GS advances bast Denver in 6.

Welp. Time to blow these overpriced dipshits out again. Nothing really interesting here, either. We win after 5. Jayson Tatum went berserk on me in one. Filimon does a lot of work this series (Cisse also helps), limiting Curry's points, while taking on more scoring work himself. Once again, Golden State probably regrets waiving him, especially since Steph Curry is playing his age in minutes in the playoffs. Which, in 2027, is 39. He turns into dust and blows away, never to be seen again.

Milwaukee similarly trivializes Miami, and Memphis shocks me by sweeping New York, who did not gain any injuries before their series, the Grizz just outplayed them. I wasn't expecting them to beat the 6th seeded 76ers, who have regularly gone to the finals. I check to see what's up and find that Harry Curry, who had averaged about 20 a game in the regular season, has been averaging over 30 in the playoffs. The back court of him and Ja Morant is terrifying, apparently.

Welp. All that's left is to run my patented anti-Maverick formula against the Mavs and everything will be fine.

....poo poo.

This matchup actually is kind of interesting, because it feels like the Pelicans are trying to clone us. Long limbed skinny center, short boxy power forward with ridiculous ups. Top 3 passer in the league. Hell, they even have a head-band wearing Slovenian Small Forward named Sasha. Only, they're like some mirror universe version of us, where their garbage-man grind player is the skinny center, their elite scorer is the power forward, and their Slovenian Small Forward is offense-minded instead of an elite defender. (And caused a lot of problems. Stupid Sasha Golob)

20 and 20. Beautiful.

It's during this series that I learn that Sasha Bilic can guard power forwards. He can guard extremely good power forwards. I didn't start out by assigning him to Zion, but I moved him there after Coach started playing him at PF in the rotations----He's not an SF|PF but I might turn him into one. So despite it not being one of his positions, sometimes Coach would run out a lineup with all three of my small forwards at once. It was surprisingly effective. I move Bilic's assignment from automatic (Golob) to Zion, and while it helps mitigate Zion damages, this is where I discover to my Horror that Sasha Golob is a really good scorer and I just didn't notice because I was guarding him so well. So I lose two games for that reason and switch back to default.

:frogout:

I love how Kabengele is good for at least one of these a playoffs. He dunks on people more than this, but trying to get the instant replay to set up good pictures is almost impossible.

drat, Hollins is ugly. Most proc-gen characters actually look normal, but I think between Filimon, Bilic, and Hollins, we have three of the absolute worst looking ones in the league.

I'm actually first to the finals. Memphis forces a game 7 against Milwaukee, and I start worrying about yet another team that I didn't expect to be crazy dangerous. "Luckily" for us, the Grizzlies finally fall.

This will be my first time seeing Giannis in action in 2k.

Giannis in 2k is loving bullshit, and the programmers should be ashamed of themselves. The very best player in the league should be the one you playtest to see if they feel arcadey or if they feel like a real basketball player. How is this concept hard? As it stands, in the first game, motherfucker got something like 15 dunks. He essentially slid through players and made loose balls teleport directly into his hands like some kind of loving 6'10 Greek Ninja. Don't get me wrong; Giannis Antetokuonmpo is an absolutely transcendent basketball talent, and easily the best basketball player alive right now. But no one has ever, or will be ever as good as the 2k version of Giannis. If I was actually playing this game instead of just watching it, I'd be beyond furious.

Gheorghe Filimon's expression here summarizes what I'm feeling by the end of this game. I don't know how I'm going to win this one.

And I experiment. I crank coaching sliders I haven't bothered to touch. I try Bol on him, I try Bilic on him, I try automatic double-teams, I try changing my pace to "shoot at will" to tire him out, but no. He's literally the best at everything. He's a parody of a real life great, and it's actually kind of sad, because it doesn't give a person playing the game a sense of at all what special gifts Giannis actually has. Nothing works, motherfucker is going to drop 45 or more on me every single game this series. His worst scoring game was game 3. And worse, he gets superstar calls. That's an actual mechanic, apparently.

Motherfucker just up and launches my best player, who has a history of injuries, mind you, into the stands, and there's no call. Bol had an "unknown shoulder injury" after this, which, after a time out, was diagnosed as "nothing", so thank God for that. If it didn't feel like cheating, that's the sort of thing I'd edit in an injury of "Suspension" onto Giannis for. (I have no idea if players can become suspended on their own. I've never seen it. I have seen Migraines and Flu though.)

To make matters worse, this poo poo starts happening again:

This might make it sound like I'm losing badly, only I'm not. I won game two. Eventually, I realize what I have to do is reduce my rotation, and only in game five of the series do I drop from 11 men, which have served me so well, to just nine.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuugh. :aaaaa:
Guess who fouled out. I wish I could have seen that one. My heart can't take this nonsense.

What's worse is my own incompetence. I reduced my rotations down to 9, then auto-rebuilt my rotations, and then put in the wrong nine players. I simulate two whole games with Esteban Barea instead of Dylan Windler, who has the second highest PER on the Honu for the playoffs. Big Game Windler is real.

I still manage to win both games, despite Barea and Bilic playing like poo poo in game 6.

Game 7 of the NBA finals. A ragtag collection of mere mortals against a living God.

Let's do this.

I settle on not reinventing the wheel. I have my rotation down to 9. By game 7 I realize which are the correct 9. And while I don't move to "Automatic" coverage for players, I assign Mfiondu Kabengele, my best interior defender, to Giannis. This way, if either of them go to C and the other is still on PF minutes, I'll still have the correct defender. Fucker still eventually drops 45 on me, but he misses half his shots and at this point, I'll take it. This is a close series and I will take every single advantage I can.

How close?

:derp: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :derp:
This shot was originally waved off. They overturned the decision on the floor to say that the basket was good. I thought we were tied. The Hawaiin Airlines Arena goes deafeningly silent.

How close?

Turnabouts being fair play close.

My heart is aching. I'm as invested in and am enjoying this simulated game between two AI controlled teams almost as much as I have any real basketball game of my life. I love this team. I love Bol Bol's quiet, steady offense and unquiet, game changing defense. I love Mfiondu Kabengele, heroically giving up over 40 points, but hey, for his assignment, it's a good 40 points.

I love tiny Jacque Cisse getting caught on a miss-match and getting posted up by Giannis, and immediately also losing his positioning... helpless against a 6'10 Titan with 95-99 in every single finishing stat.

...but then blocking the shot.

I love Dylan Windler coming back to life in the fourth after only scoring in the first, hitting two big time 3s back to back to put us up six. I love William Floyd, who has matured so much, taking over from Dylan and proceeding to hit four more before the horn sounds. I love that I have a team that comes together, senses blood in the water, and starts to take over.

And I do mean take over. Floyd's is a little hard to spot in this picture, being under the score, but four Honu have their takeovers going off in this screen-shot. The most I'd ever seen before this game at a time was two.

I LOVE THE HONU.

Go on and hug it this time, William. After dropping 41, you've earned it.

From some Angles Filimon looks OK. The guy in the back is Cisse. Just a random five guys? I've certainly never seen this line-up in the wild.

Bilic records Filimon and Kabengele celebrating with some LSD. Seriously, what is wrong with Filimon's face? Or Bilic's face?

Why are these two in every celebration? This angle/expression looks almost normal, at least.

Presenting the 2026-2027 NBA Champions, the Honolulu Honu. (that is confetti over Bilic's face, not an image defect)

Pictured:
Back Row: Sasha Bilic, Dylan Windler, Gheorghe Eminescu, Harry Francis, Delon Wright
Front Row: Gheorghe Filimon, Mfiondu Kabengele, William Floyd, Finals MVP Bol Bol, Jacque Cisse
Not Pictured: Archie Cardinal, Darnell Castro, Wayne Hollins, Donta Greene

>PHEW<
What a ride. That is, I think, the most joy I've ever felt from a sports game, and I wasn't even the one playing it. I'll get early off-season stuff posted in a little bit, maybe even today, since I already have some stuff grabbed.

EDIT
Hey, remember that time the Milwaukee Bucks blew a 3-1 lead in the finals to a team with over 80 million dollars a year smaller payroll?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 28, 2020

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
Wooo go Honu! Jacque Ciss with some JJ Barea guarding Lebron vibes.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Heck yeah. That was some suspense.

Random question - is that Anthony Davis' face on the Pelicans' lineup screen?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have played 2k18, 2k19 and 2k20 on multiple platforms. I don't get as deep into it as you do (I mostly just play with historical teams or make up gimmick rosters), but this game has a disturbing hard-on for superstars that is even worse than the real-life NBA. Every game I have against a really elite player, like Giannis or Lebron or Jordan, they tee off on me for 15-20 points in the first quarter and then I dial them back for the rest of the game, but they always finish with 40+, always. Granted, when I play with guys like Bird or Magic or Kareem I can really have great games, but I assume that it is parts of 2KS BS marketing that they make elite players ridiculous in the same way that the NBA does by having bad officials grossly favour the most marketable stars, which leads to things like the Dwayne Wade situation you mentioned. I won't be so crass as to mention any myself <cough>Kings/Lakers<cough>

I will say that I like your team-building philosophy, which is to actually build a team, because basketball (both real-life and this game) is way too much about one, at most two, stars and a bunch of who-gives-a-gently caress. Natural result of a game with small teams where stars play both ways and play 2/3-3/4 of every single game. Speaking of that and corollary to the above, I also like how you don't overwork the stars like Bol and make them play 40+ minutes. I tend to play the games and not simulate them, but the fatigue system in this series has been hosed for years.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bilic records Filimon and Kabengele celebrating with some LSD. Seriously, what is wrong with Filimon's face? Or Bilic's face?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Very happy to see the Honu win it again! Glad they get to celebrate with some...

2K sports brand Champagne. It's only a 2K game if it comes from the Champagne region of France.

Also, dear lord those Celtics are terrible. Can I ask who the rest of their players were after the 18 shooting guards, because 2 wins in 82 chances seems ridiculous.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JustJeff88 posted:

I will say that I like your team-building philosophy, which is to actually build a team, because basketball (both real-life and this game) is way too much about one, at most two, stars and a bunch of who-gives-a-gently caress. Natural result of a game with small teams where stars play both ways and play 2/3-3/4 of every single game. Speaking of that and corollary to the above, I also like how you don't overwork the stars like Bol and make them play 40+ minutes. I tend to play the games and not simulate them, but the fatigue system in this series has been hosed for years.

Small rotations aren't fun for me. Rosters are supposed to be 14 or 15 deep, so unless I'm developing the guys on it, I want them to at least be serviceable if called upon. Beyond that, yeah. It also helps with minutes management. My guys are always going to be dogs in the MVP and All-Star races, because my numbers are always going to be lower. Filimon isn't the top Assist Getter (that'd be Lonzo Ball this year), but he's the top of Assists/36 minutes. The flipside of this is actual load management. If I did rely on Bol for 40 minutes a game, outside of extreme circumstances like the playoffs, he'd get injured even more. He already gets injured a lot. I'd be doomed. would be one of the most productive centers in the league if he wasn't a backup.

beejay posted:

Random question - is that Anthony Davis' face on the Pelicans' lineup screen?
Yes. Their screens show historically important people to the franchise, and frequently the current real world star of the team. I wish it were dynamic, and would eventually display, say, Bol Bol for us, but it's not and it won't.

Thordain posted:

Also, dear lord those Celtics are terrible. Can I ask who the rest of their players were after the 18 shooting guards, because 2 wins in 82 chances seems ridiculous.

If I have a backup save from the playoffs, then sure.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is the guy the Mavs hired to replace Rick Carlisle. I believe he was at the time the Assistant Coach of the Pistons, and not particularly gifted, but hey, who needs to be when you have Luka Doncic?

Going back to page 6 here; the real-life Sidney Lowe is indeed an NBA assistant but is perhaps best known as a member of Jim Valvano's NC State team that won the national championship over Houston in 1983.

Because we love weird facts and stats in this thread, he (along with NC State teammate Dereck Whittenburg) was a graduate of DeMatha Catholic High School, which boasts FIVE current NBA players among its alumni - Jerian Grant, Victor Oladipo, Quinn Cook, Jerami Grant, and Markelle Fultz (!).

I marathoned this entire thread in about three days and absolutely love it. I'm a sucker for dynasty modes / grand campaigns / etc and this one is masterfully written and thoroughly engaging.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How did I get eight seasons into this thing before I realized that the team behind NBA2k have no concept of how old NBA Draft prospects, on average, actually are. Draft ages are ridiculously high. Draftable player ages would be too high if an insane rule passed requiring at least two years of college. Some players would be too high in age if they played four years.

Chapter 12, Part 1, 2027-2028, Offseason

But first! Since it was requested, I will display the entire glory of the 2026-2027 Boston Celtics, the worst team in professional sports history.

If the guys lower on the list seem less angry on average, it's because this was after they were eliminated from playoff contention, whereas, the first image is the earlier one I posted in the thread.

Some pretty baffling decisions all around. When your sixth best player is in the G-League and is also in a position of need, you'd think you would sign that player for the season and make them your starter. Unlike everyone the Honu has put into the G-league, AJ Malone there actually should be furious, but, if you look, isn't. Thanks, 2k. Thanks a whole lot.

Only one true Power Forward.... at least he made one of the all-rookie teams.
~~~~

The following players retire at the end of the season, I wasn't kidding when I said that Curry turned to dust and blew away, never to be seen again.

Not pictured but also retired: Derrick Rose

I find something incredibly funny about signing for less than half a season and then retiring.

Rose becomes the first MVP ever to retire and not make the Hall of Fame. There's an outside shot of this happening in real life.

The big insult here is no Mike Conley--- the chances of Mike Conley Jr's jersey not being retired in Memphis are literally zero.

Nothing passes for rule changes, but there's an absolutely insane one on the table for "no free throws during shooting fouls, players are instead awarded points" which.... what in the absolute gently caress, 2k? I think I hate the rule changes in this game. The percentage to "Batshit crazy" changes to "yeah, that'd be OK" is too skewed in favor of batshit crazy. Somewhere out there, Shaq feels impossibly sad and doesn't know why.

As for the Celtics and their 2 win season?

NEVER TANK.

For real, now, that this is a debate among sports fans/and actual sports teams, especially in the NBA which has a lottery? STUPID. Don't. Tank. Since the top four picks are selected by lottery, the worst team in the league has the highest odds of landing the number five pick. They have a little less than 48% chance to land #5. Tanking is loving stupid. You're much, much better off trying to develop your actual talent and letting the chips fall where they may. Consider that only about a third (a fourth? less?) of the time, the best player in the draft actually winds up being the #1 overall pick (at a rate roughly equal to the amount of #1 picks that wound up being complete busts, mind you), tanking even a losing season for a higher pick is insanity.

The Trail Blazers pick winds up being #4 overall. So a team with 66 wins is picking ahead of a team with 2 wins. :clint: Now, if the Blazers would have remained relevant, perhaps those two second rounders we traded so long ago wouldn't have looked so stupid to pick up, but as it stands, well.

Well.

:siren: Voting Time :siren:

1)The Draft
I have the #4 pick in the 2027 NBA Draft and no second round picks this season. My scouts have detected a player who they consider close to the highest available overall (likely) at 4, as well as the highest potential in the same package, a guy they think could turn into the next Adrian Dantley. (for overall, the difference between him and the guys higher is 2 points or less. I actually have 100% scouting, so while scouts can always be wrong, I don't have a grade for Overall, I have exact numbers) So I'm taking him if someone else doesn't grab him first, and worrying about rotations/depth later. It's very possible my scouts are wrong. Scouts in these games, even A+ scouts, are often wrong. The draft Big Boards have him slotted in at about 7th overall, so I think he will come to me, since he has no injury issues.
So this vote is largely a backup plan.

Terrence Reece is a 24 year old 6'2 PG|SG from Syracuse (the gently caress? 24? So he's a six year or seven year senior? FIX YOUR GAME, 2K) that has a sweet outside shot and excellent passing skills, but isn't so poo poo-hot near the rim. Our point guard depth is Filimon, Cisse, and then Delon Wright playing out of position (Only technically. Most of his minutes come at the point, these days. I'd slide him over, but 2k is stupid, arcane and stupid again, and it'd make his overall rating go down)

Stacey Byars is a 21 year old (this would still be a Junior or Senior.... does 2k seriously not understand college sport ages? How in the blue gently caress... FIX YOUR GAME) 6'5 SG|SF from Duke, an excellent perimeter defender with gobs of potential, and a good mid-range game. His drawbacks are he's kind fat and unathletic, and he pretty much only scores in mid-range, which is inefficient. He looks like he cooks meth in his garage. Also, he's from Duke. gently caress Duke.

Howard Wood is a 23 year old (gently caress OFF 2K) 6'6 SG|SF from Stanford that can score from anywhere and has terrific passing instincts for a wing. He doesn't play a lick of defense and has Bilic/Filimon lips and a businessman haircut, which makes him untrustworthy. As with the others, he has absolute gobs of potential.

If I can't get my guy (who is also a 23 year old, god drat it), then pick one of those guys.

2)The Problem with Sasha
This is the problem I wasn't thinking about during the season.

Sasha Bilic, Harry Francis, and Wayne Hollins are up for new deals. Hollins is going to walk---I can't justify paying him 11 million a year like he wants. There's an outside chance no one else does, and I get to sign him for cheaper, but only an outside chance. Harry and Sasha are RFAs, so I can match contracts. Since Francis has an expected salary of around Kabengele numbers, and is very productive in a back-up role for us, and honestly should be starting somewhere, this is a steal and I hope to bring him back. We certainly have the money for it.

Sasha Bilic wants approximately thirty million dollars a year.

And that's... that's something, right there. He's an 87 (and growing!) overall wing. Of our players with over 90 potential (Not counting Bol who has already hit this mark) he's the most likely to actually hit it. He's a fantastic defender and can guard four positions (but not whatever the gently caress Giannis is), although he's never been selected for either all-defense team. He's an excellent rebounder for his position (was seventh overall among all Small Forwards. Per 36 minutes, he's third. The #1 per 36 is the Honu's own Dylan Windler), and ranks 6th in steals (5th per 36). He's the fourth best SF overall in box +/- (per 36, he is also fourth, but once again ranks behind Windler, who is third. ---Dylan Windler is seriously good, guys)

On the flipside, he has never averaged double digit points, he has never averaged 15 (considered league average) PER or EFF. He's never hit 10 (again, considered league average) in Game Score. He has a negative PPR, turning the ball over frequently. He wants a higher role in the team's scoring, which would mean, ultimately, I would have to tell coach to give him the ball. Only, he's not a very efficient scorer. Even though he's the lowest Usage player among the Honu, he's also something like the 10th best player in both True Shooting % and Effective Field Goal %. He ranks behind both Barea and Windler in EWA. (gently caress 2k's Overall/Potential System. Why the gently caress isn't Windler our starter? ---well, he plays noticeably better from the bench is why. But he should be higher up in our rotations. I hate 2K. I really, really do.) He's the second worst player on our team for drawing fouls. He only shoots 33% from three. For some reason, he takes a lot of corner threes and doesn't attack the basket, even though he has a gold slithery finisher badge and could be an elite finisher inside, and he's got a sweet little mid-range fadeaway with a soft touch that could be special if he actually loving used it

He's an elite defender with all the potential in the world, but he's dumber than a turkey sandwich.

I'll say it again, he wants thirty million dollars a year. He'll be unhappy staying here unless I completely change the team's offense/approach to the game, possibly by making him a focal point of our offense, possibly by taking more extreme measures.

Metta Sandiford-Artest (formerly Metta World Peace, Formerly Ron Artest) could average double digit points a game. I could see an argument for making him the highest paid player on your team.
Bruce Bowen never did, but he still shot better than Bilic from three. I can't see an argument for Bowen being so highly paid, but he also didn't rebound anywhere near as well as Bilic does.
Raja Bell was a much better scorer, but similarly good on rebounding when you consider he was a shooting guard and not a small forward. Ain't no one paying Bell more than Nash or Marion, though.

Me knowing all this was coming up was why I extended Windler without asking. (I'm actually kind of blown away by his per 36 averages, though... those honestly surprised me.)

He's an RFA. I can match contracts offered by other teams. It's possible everyone else values him less than 30million a year. So.........

Here's the top salaries of guys on our team. This is, not coincidentally, the other 4 of our starters. Knowing everything we know about Bilic, what's a fair offer to match?

3)2k Draft Ages
I didn't even notice this until just now, but gently caress 2k's garbage fire game forever. Starting next year's draft, should I lower the age of all prospects over 18 or 19 by 2 years? This is much less work for me than it sounds, since I can go into quick edit mode and tap the control stick. Shouldn't even take 5 minutes.

EDIT
Coach has a default of 68 (out of presumably 100) for the personal (it's by coach, not a thing you set with game sliders :psyduck: it should be both.) performance effecting minutes played----I'm gonna go ahead and tweak this to 100. God, 2k is broken in every conceivable respect. It's truly special how broken and stupid this series is.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 29, 2020

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Are Adam Silver and the other guy just gonna do drafts for ever? And yeah make them babies

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Thordain posted:

Honestly they should get the first pick regardless, I hate Boston teams but this is so pathetic I would feel bad for them to end up with the fourth pick or something.

Veryslightlymad posted:

As for the Celtics and their 2 win season?

NEVER TANK.

Nah, I take it back, that's funny as hell.

1. Howard Wood sounds good to me, but also I'm just thinking about loading up on SGs.

2. Sasha Bilic is a legitimately valuable piece, the sort of defender we should absolutely hold onto given our system. I also wonder if the AI is going to value him that highly though, since his numbers are so low across the board. Let's say 25 million per year, and hold out hope we can knock some sense into him and get him to play to his strengths more.

3. Yeah, let's lower them, this is just silly. No one getting picked in the top ten and going at age 24.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I checked and there is exactly one 19 year old in the draft, as in "eligible to be selected".

The most recent NBA draft had 22 out of 60 selections be age 19 or younger.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

For real, now, that this is a debate among sports fans/and actual sports teams, especially in the NBA which has a lottery? STUPID. Don't. Tank. Since the top four picks are selected by lottery, the worst team in the league has the highest odds of landing the number five pick. They have a little less than 48% chance to land #5. Tanking is loving stupid. You're much, much better off trying to develop your actual talent and letting the chips fall where they may. Consider that only about a third (a fourth? less?) of the time, the best player in the draft actually winds up being the #1 overall pick (at a rate roughly equal to the amount of #1 picks that wound up being complete busts, mind you), tanking even a losing season for a higher pick is insanity.
Just a note here, there's a huge amount of NBA media and fans who completely misuse the term "tanking" and apply it to basically any team that sucks even if it's not actually what's happening. In many cases, the reason a team is bad is specifically because they're trying to develop talent - you don't win in the NBA by playing young guys major minutes (especially defensively), but it's the only way to figure out what you have.

Also worth noting that for all the hoopla about tanking, the Process-Era 76'ers tore down a conference semifinals team in order to load up on draft picks and develop a powerhouse team that (checks)...uh, has lost in the conference semi-finals. The only team who's successfully rode multiple high lottery picks to a title is 2016 Cleveland and without LeBron's return, that team is Kyrie/Thompson/Waiters/Wiggins and probably tops out as a second round playoff exit.

You're right about tanking being dumb, but the whole media discussion about it tends to be very ill-informed.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
VSM, what is your de facto "salary cap", by which I mean how much the game lets you spend on players even if the league imposes no limit? I could very well have missed it, but I don't recall seeing a finances screen. The only other sports management sim that I know well at all is Football Manager, and that game has very sophisticated models with boards who dictate your finances based on revenue and their greed. Just like in real life, small-market teams have no money and the sport is dominated by a few large, rich megabastards, but FM at least allows players to rise through the leagues and build a juggernaut from something as association football is big on teams getting financial rewards from winning tournaments, being televised etc.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have yet to determine if one exists. In theory I have less money than everyone else, but in practice, nothing tells me what that is.

All I can go by is the "affordable" free agents screen, which is different than the normal free agent screen. When there is a cap, players that would put me over it aren't listed as affordable. Now that there isn't one, I don't know if that's true. I guess I could make a backup save file and see if it lets me sign a bunch of guys to max contracts. Otherwise, lol at 2k giving me relevant information.

Edit Meaning, I wouldn't rule it out that the "affordable" screen shows what'd be affordable if there was a cap, even though there isn't. ........this is a huge step backward from previous 2k games. When it was just MyGM, while I don't remember ever having no cap, owners did have a tolerance for going into the luxury tax, and you were told what that was.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 29, 2020

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Thordain posted:

Nah, I take it back, that's funny as hell.

1. Howard Wood sounds good to me, but also I'm just thinking about loading up on SGs.

2. Sasha Bilic is a legitimately valuable piece, the sort of defender we should absolutely hold onto given our system. I also wonder if the AI is going to value him that highly though, since his numbers are so low across the board. Let's say 25 million per year, and hold out hope we can knock some sense into him and get him to play to his strengths more.

3. Yeah, let's lower them, this is just silly. No one getting picked in the top ten and going at age 24.

Agree with all these

Edit: also if I got fired and replaced by the guy who went 1-33, even if it was Brad Stevens, I’d probably decide coaching wasn’t for me.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 30, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MagusofStars posted:

Just a note here, there's a huge amount of NBA media and fans who completely misuse the term "tanking" and apply it to basically any team that sucks even if it's not actually what's happening. In many cases, the reason a team is bad is specifically because they're trying to develop talent - you don't win in the NBA by playing young guys major minutes (especially defensively), but it's the only way to figure out what you have.
Oh, yeah. Letting your young players run instead of your olds is perfectly acceptable and not what I mean by tanking.

Since people are giving me a figure for Bilic, I know what I will match, and I think it is close enough to what he's asking if I included a player option, maybe. If I offered him about half, I know he'd be insulted. So we will see what we see.

I wonder if he can reject the qualifying offer ... I've never seen it happen, but who knows.

Voting is still open if anyone dissents

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Been lurking through this thread, which is amazing.

Meant to say this after the championship, but congrats to the Honu, and all the Gheorghes out there.

Gheorghe Dance Party!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nfPoHMGHg

:woop: :woop:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 12, Part 2, 2027-2028, Offseason Part 2

Let's get this draft started.

OK, guys, I'm not drafting Terrence Reece. This threw me off, until I remembered that this guy:

---who was the consensus #1 pick, was a shooting guard, and the Jazz have Donovan Mitchell. Granted, Donovan Mitchell is nowhere near good enough in our simulation team universe to be worth ignoring a consensus #1 pick, but that's the Jazz's logic!

This is the guy my scout told me would be the next Adrian Dantley and had a 77 overall. He probably hosed up both of those. I think I have literally only been successful with drafting European Players and Wayne Hollins, for the Record. Nonetheless, he gives us a potential piece to develop.

Hey, waitasecond, he's not fat at all. He has a perfect, T-shaped body! Now granted, my scout didn't say he was fat, he said this guy would have trouble putting muscle on his frame, and I noticed he was 230 pounds and just assumed he was built that way. But no, apparently my scout got cute with me and decided "He can't put on more muscle". Dickhead. Well, at least he still looks like a meth-head. gently caress Duke

Why does no one like Gabe Marks?

Hey, with the headband, he looks less like an untrustworthy business-type. Good luck getting minutes as a swingman in Charlotte, Howard.

Timberwolves picking up Brogdan here tells me they might not get D'Angelo Russell back. Let's see who the Pacers just traded their best player for

gently caress Duke. (Pacers drafted a lot of guys here.... We're definitely a big part of the blame.

Whatever. Some 80+ players... but lower ones.

More custody battle trades. This is the Magic's year to have Vucevic back.

Meth head goes to Michigan, like we need more.

:lol: well, that's one way to raise your total salary expenditures. Smart was going to throw a complete fit in Boston if he stayed, and it's not like the Celtics had assets to get anything else. At least George is on the last year of his contract now.

G'bye, Kaminsky. I'll miss dunking on you.

This was the second of two picks we traded for Donta Greene

Hey, he used to be on the Honu!

:eyepop: OH MY GOD. :laffo:

Mr Irrelevant 2027 is definitely going to be irrelevant, because the Pacers had like five rookies.

Free Agency:
We didn't keep Bilic. He was eventually offered something like 32 million a year, even more than his asking price, and quite a bit more than what I was told to match, so we have a tearful goodbye. Good thing I drafted a small forward who has about as much chance at becoming Adrian Dantley as I do. Not that I think Wesley will be bad. Just that I don't have the best track record with developing my own picks. I re-upped Harry Francis on, I believe a four year deal. I'll have to double check. It might only be three, because I had to match someone else's offer sheet for him. I let Archie Cardinal walk, because... uh, he spent an entire year in the G-league and still didn't develop. No one made an offer to Wayne Hollins, so I got to keep him for about 2 million a year instead of the 11 he was asking for.... he developed another 2 overall during progression. There's a not-zero chance that he'll eventually become worth the amount of money he thinks he is. Since I have a free roster space, and have been missing a true third-string point guard, I signed this guy for a paltry 5 million a year:

Not the best offensive numbers, and his name is Jud, but on limited minutes, that's a decent amount of assists. I think as a guy that'll play if Filimon or Cisse get injured, that's a pretty decent pickup.

As for other teams:

Yeah, the Celtics will be fine. It's not the best two free agents available, but Porter was putting up 30 points a game last season (mostly because he was playing almost a full game) and Okafor is definitely a starting caliber guy. I expect them to dectuple their win total.

Shamorie Ponds comes here. And also.... Anton Gornev? The hell? Didn't the Knicks sign him to a three year deal last season? This implies they waived him, and while he's never quite lived up to his #1 overall status, he's not a player you just waive. What the hell did the Knicks do and why did a bunch of crows just land outside of my house?

On the one hand, this improves the Grizzlies at center, but on the other, they now get a shooting guard that's higher than Herbert Curry overall, but not as good, so because the OVR system is archaic and stupid and needs to be removed from these games entirely, Memphis is paying a shitload of money to make itself work at the 2 guard spot. Can't tell if it makes the team better because, again, Humphries is an upgrade, but it definitely makes the Ravens worse. Especially since Porter left. Well, that team was exciting until it died.

The Pacers replace Brogdan quite easily and get some vets to couple with all their young players. Only three signings, but a very positive direction for the franchise. This is elegant. I like it.
EDIT (Had the Grizzlies picture here again. This has been fixed, clearly)

Oh, hey, Schroder once again is no longer a sixth man, but will probably win that award again once/if Drobnjak develops enough to replace him in the starting lineup.

I was right, the Wolves didn't keep Russell, and the Warriors get an all-star caliber player to replace Steph Curry. Russell is also already on the decline though, so this is still just stemming the bleeding, really. Bruno Fernando is a really good center nowadays that will struggle for minutes. I think Golden State's GM is in some kind of contest where they can only keep their multi-billion dollar inheritance if they spend half of it before some kind of timer expires.

That Vince Edwards signing is the one that bothers me. The James Harden/Bradley Beal signings, while looking scary, are paying some old ring-chasing farts an absolute shitload of money to actively make the Mavs worse. I am OK with that.

And now, the SCARY signings.

This actually only might be scary. There's not a lot of utility to be had by backing up the best defensive power forward in the league with the second best one, and this makes Joel Embiid only the third best center on their team. There's a decent chance that Philadelphia is just pissing money away for no reason, like so many other teams.

RJ Barrett finally got a team. :unsmith: . That backcourt of Barrett and Brooke Teague is up there with the best in the entire league. Washington and Giles III make a nasty pair of bigs to start with them. The Spurs could do some serious damage if those pieces gel together.

....oh..... oh GOD.
Welp. Not my conference. I'll just let Milwaukee worry about it.

But they're not the winners of the free agency. These guys are:

A playoff team with an all-star caliber back court moves one of the two to the sixth man position and replaces him with an MVP caliber player. Then, for shits and giggles, they add an elite SF defender and an elite SF scorer. I gotta see what Denver has up front..... if they have any frontcourt depth at all, they could conceivably win a title.

The Heat big three disintegrated entirely. I guess they're now Ciro Reyes' team.

...............................honestly, a lot of teams are just loading up on redundant pieces for way too much money. This abolished Salary Cap might actually be making us more competitive.

Power rankings:

I mean, we seem to be doing fine.

EDIT
Thanks for all the kind words and welcome to the thread, ton of new people on this page.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 30, 2020

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
So the Kings took the 6th pick, then traded it & a second round for the 17th pick?

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

Largepotato posted:

So the Kings took the 6th pick, then traded it & a second round for the 17th pick?

Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. That might be the worst NBA draft day trade I've ever seen,speaking purely in terms of value. Like the Hawks sending Luka to Dallas is worse but we couldn't have known that yet(We knew).

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Thordain posted:

Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. That might be the worst NBA draft day trade I've ever seen,speaking purely in terms of value. Like the Hawks sending Luka to Dallas is worse but we couldn't have known that yet(We knew).

Maybe once they saw him in the hat they realised he looked bad in their team colours.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Thordain posted:

Nah, the Hawks trading Luka is justifiable - they really liked Trae Young and got an extra first round draft pick along with the guy they wanted. Their player evaluations were clearly wrong, but the overall concept of the trade is defensible.

The Kings gave up a second round pick to move down 11 spots in the same draft. If you really believed that the player at #17 was a top-tier draft pick, you should have taken him at 6 or traded down in a normal way. If you don't want Stacey Byers on your team, then why the heck did you take him at 6 overall? Either way, it's egregious to the point that a GM would likely get fired on the spot for it.

The only real-life scenario I can even remotely envision is Stacey Byers calling up the GM and completely refusing to play for Sacramento, so much so that the Kings are willing to take any offer just to get rid of him...and even then, I'm not sure why you'd need to toss in a second rounder as a sweetener.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I want to say I have never seen something like that happen in real life, but I am pretty sure I have seen that happen. I swear I can remember Bill Simmons ranting about it.

Roster Space is a reason in real life--a team might not be able to use that second pick, and might not be able to convince anyone to take it (in five minutes) for real value. Sadly, this is not the case for the Kings.

For sanity's sake, I would assume that the Pistons also traded "Cash Considerations", which isn't reflected in 2k at all, because it's gross, and ain't like that money gets used by the team.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug

MagusofStars posted:

Nah, the Hawks trading Luka is justifiable - they really liked Trae Young and got an extra first round draft pick along with the guy they wanted. Their player evaluations were clearly wrong, but the overall concept of the trade is defensible.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to convey in my post.

Do you get to see real ratings right after you draft someone? Maybe Byars was way worse than the Kings thought so they offloaded him.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ahhh this owns.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Thordain posted:

Yeah, this is what I was trying to convey in my post.

Do you get to see real ratings right after you draft someone? Maybe Byars was way worse than the Kings thought so they offloaded him.

You do! but it's stupid and you shouldn't. (The game is Stupid. You cleverly assumed something that could be correct. Although Byars has a lot of potential and very good defense already)
~~~~
We lost both of our games against the Celtics, feel free to speculate if that implies more about our damage or their improvement.

I'm really interested in the MIP race this year when it comes up. There's a lot of really good candidates I discovered by accident.

We're gonna need to pull a trade, I think. Bilic's loss is exacerbated by two of our wings forgetting how to play basketball entirely, even though neither lost any attributes over the off-season, and one theoretically should have gotten better.

Our idiot back-up PF trio needs to get their poo poo together. One guy can score at will but never tries, one guy constantly tries but can't really score, and one guy does weird performance art where he'll try to lead the game in assists while not scoring or rebounding. (I miss Harry Kelly.)

As a positive note, Jacque Cisse is developing admirably. Dylan Windler's EWA makes up for our other wings' collective negative EWA. I think.

I might have to consider giving up one of our actually -good- players. Will post a team analysis and possible trades within the next few days. With actual season images.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

one guy does weird performance art where he'll try to lead the game in assists while not scoring or rebounding.
In fairness, that's is pretty amazing for a power forward.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Look I love Vince Edwards but lol at him being worth 95 million over 4 years

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

MagusofStars posted:

In fairness, that's is pretty amazing for a power forward.

When he has a D- in playmaking, my strong preference for him would be "pass less"
~~~

Chapter 12, Part 3, 2027-2028, Trade/Extension Deadline

Well, the good news is, my panic posting yesterday was a bit pre-mature. The Honu have course-corrected and after a shaky start are still doing Honu things (that is, winning basketball games). For the most part.

We kick off the season with Bol showing some excellent passing, in addition to his usual brilliance. Is this a sign of things to come? (A: Not really. His passing's pretty much what it has been. His defense, including perimeter D is better, though)

Early on in the season, we lose a cluster of games and that had me pretty worried. Especially because two of those games were at the hands of the Celtics

This one is arranged by box +/-. George here was playing some very good defense, something Paul George is known for. He's not quite as washed up as I thought. Just make sure he's the team's 5th option on offense.

Here's Dedric Wesley's first NBA game. That shooting was just woeful, but I'm quite encouraged by seeing 5 assists on a rookie swingman. Shooting is something that'll develop overtime. Our scouts might have oversold him, but he has gobs of potential.

Bol put this monster performance up against the Magic, which had me check the Season Awards to see if he made Player of the Week, since it was a winning week for us in general.

He did not, but it does draw my attention to the fact that, for the first time ever, two players make Player of the Week in the same week, and I have no idea who either of them are. (Richard Morris is a point guard on the Orlando Magic. They're not very good, and he's not very good, but he put up three games with like, 20 some points and 12 or 13 assists. So, yeah, he earned it that week. Garry Carson has been in the league for almost as long as I've been simming, but is only now noticeable because he's the starting small forward for the Ravens, and they're still running a minimalist rotation.)

Another one of my losses was to the Knicks. They didn't have one of their best players, Bryant Lowe. This is just disheartening to look at. Wil Gaines there is maybe the seventh best player on the Knicks, and he used to be the best player for the Hornets, and was a guy I was monitoring pretty closely, once upon a time.

Kabengele has this beastly 20 boards against the Pistons. He's been complaining about touches less this season, which is good. Maybe because he's finding his own offense more reliably. This guy has been so good for us for so long.

I think the image from the Knicks loss is right around where I was losing spirits in my earlier posts, but the Honu really righted the ship. Going into the deadlines and the all-star break, this is capped off by this amazing performance against the Bucks:

Floyd bailed us out, and clearly deserves game MVP honors, but let's not undersell the heart of the rest of our team. This was us going against an elite NBA team with Bol Bol, Harry Francis, Wayne Hollins, and Darnell Castro out with injuries. That's our starting Center (and best player), our Backup Center, and two power forwards that would/could normally slide over to center as needed. Although Greene is ahead of Castro on the rotation anyhow. Greene managed to put up big assists without turning the ball over and got himself a double-double. You can't really see Dedric Wesley's performance here, but he only played 8 minutes and took two shots, but he hit both of 'em.

I also check in on Sasha Bilic, initially wishing him well.

.............Motherfucker. NOW you decide you know how to score? I hate you. (Weirdly, he's not in the running for MIP. That's a pretty terrific jump. A lot of guys I thought should be in the MIP race aren't, and a lot of the people that are are literally not playing better than the year before. 2K is broken.)

I finally lose my cool at the asinine all-star selection and manually assign (some of the) All-Stars. I will never replace an All-Star starter, since those represent the fan vote, and have frequently been a little crazy. (But in general, fans get it right.)

Anyone I assigned got an extra "appearances" recorded on this screen, even though their actual awards screen has the correct number of all-star selections. Anyone who missed an all-star game with an injury will also show an inflated number here. The ones I know are wrong are:

Bol Bol was injured one year, so this should be his sixth appearance, not seventh (I'll doublecheck)
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was injured one year, this should be only his third appearance.
Michael Porter Jr was added manually, and this is only his third appearance (motherfucker almost singlehandedly turned around the Celtics)
Courtney Banks was added manually (he's the starting SG of the Lakers) and this is his first appearance.
Leroy Long was added manually (he's the starting Center of the Lakers) and this is his first appearance.
Brook Teague was added manually (He's the starting PG for the Spurs. I actually added a guy on a losing team---he's had a really good year. I also replaced another player on a losing team that was having a significantly worse year.) this is his second selection.

Collin Sexton was added manually (he's actually a sixth man for the Hawks, but is averaging 24 points per game) and this is his first appearance
Mitchell Robinson was added manually (he's the starting center for the Nuggets) and this is his first appearance

All other selections are either the correct number of appearances or are higher because I forgot about an injury from earlier in their career (I think Doncic had one)

I'm not gonna lie, it felt really, really good overruling the selection of Brandon Ingram. Motherfucker's been an all-star like 7 times despite averaging 23/2/2 on losing teams (don't get me wrong, those are really good numbers, but they're also worse than several snubbed players across the board) if he makes it into the Hall of Fame with that poo poo and a losing overall win/loss record, I'm gonna be incredibly salty at this stupid game. No shade intended at the actual Brandon Ingram.

Standings:

We've comfortably moved into fourth from where we were earlier. And are comfortably back in the swing of things after a rocky start to the season. Vancouver's insane coach has driven off their best players. This is a huge drop in productiveity, let's see if they fire him. Boston projects as a playoff team after having the worst season ever. Sacramento is currently posting a season that is threatening to be even worse, though. (Weird, since they have a better roster) Hopefully the wheels don't come completely off this simulation.

ROSTER CHECK IN

Bol Bol continues to be our best player, averaging about 25/10 a game on efficient shooting, and also contributing a pair of blocks on average. He's able to defend out on the perimeter if needed. He's very deceptive in how good he is at scoring. Watching playoff games I'll be like, "man, Bol hasn't really gotten any touches" and then check the box score and he has 30. Dirk Nowitzki used to do that. He is one of the four original Honu.

Mfiondu Kabengele is having his best season yet, averaging about 11.5/11.5 per game as a starting power forward. Though undersized and boxy, he's both a tremendous athlete and intelligent. He does the bulk of the team's dirty work by cleaning the glass and his postup game is good. He can stretch the floor if needed but prefers not to. He relishes dunking on people and getting alley-oops. He's probably the most exciting Honu to watch. He's been with us since day 1.

William Floyd, one time point guard, has settled tremendously into his role as an undersized shooting guard tremendously over the last few seasons. His scoring has gone down to "only" 20 points per game in recent years, but that's largely because many other people on this team can score, and because he plays less minutes from depth. He's lost all his selfishness.

Esteban Barea is number one on my poo poo-list. With his abilities, he ought to be an excellent scorer from any part of the floor, he's in theory our best isolation player, and he's weirdly good in the post as a swingman, both on offense and defense. The problem is, he doesn't really fit into the gameplan, and he's having a really inefficient scoring season. He's averaging about 8 points a game, which is down from the 11 he had when this team had Sasha Bilic and he was on the bench. He has a negative EWA (Estimated Wins Added) He's in a contract year and will want 13 million a year this next off-season, I would like to trade him before that.

Jacque Cisse is developing nicely. He's averaging about 15 points and 5 assists a game, trading starting roles with Gheorghe Filimon. He's one of the top five players on our team, and is essentially doing for us what Aaron Holiday used to, only he's quite young and could theoretically become even more. I'm very high on this kid.

Gheorghe Filimon is fantastic. He's a top two point guard in the league on passing, the only person who competes with him is Omar Santiago, now on the Rockets. Under the Honu, he's developed into a fabulous shooter, although he doesn't need to be and prefers to pass. When he came to this team, he was averaging 34% from three. This year going into the all-star break, he's averaging 50%, the third highest mark among all players, and the highest among all players averaging significant minutes.

Harry Francis is a luxury yacht of a backup center. He could start at center for any team in the league that doesn't have an all-star in that position.

Gheorghe Eminescu had a rocky start to the season and, for a while there, also had a negative EWA, but he's found his stride again, and is back to averaging double-digit scoring and being the best perimeter defender on our team now that Sasha Bilic is gone. Before his minor injury, he was going berserk, and I no longer am worried about him.

Delon Wright is stupidly reliable. He only gives us a little bit these days, but he'll check every box on the stat sheet and he won't make many mistakes. He's not letting age get in the way of his game, become better at passing and shooting at range as he loses his ability to attack the basket. He's one of our four original players.

Dylan Windler is better than you think he is. He was averaging only about 6 points a game for a few seasons, but that was as the third SF in our rotation, and he probably never should have been that low in our depth charts. I blame 2k's idiotic OVR system which should burn in the blackest hell of ideas that have outlived their usefulness. He's back up to about 10 a game, notably more than Barea. He's also better at rebounding and passing. He has two of the top 10 all time seasons in 3pt shooting%. Just look at his grades. He's easily the single most underpaid player in the league. He's been with us since Day 1, and my strong preference is for him to retire with this team.

Jud Webber is a luxury third string point guard that, at 80 overall, could easily start on several teams. He's made some small grumblings about playing time, accordingly, but only small ones. He's a very steady hand and gives us some much needed perimeter defense. I'm glad I signed him, but I'm not above trading him, since he's got such a small roll.

Donta Greene is an intriguing project PF|C that is slowly emerging as the best of the three we have, partly through staying healthy and partly through having higher potential than the other two. He's easily the best rebounder of the three already. I never thought I'd say this about someone, but he moves the ball too much, frequently posting about 4 assists, sure, but also frequently posting about 4 or 5 turnovers. He has a D- in playmaking, but if his vision ever matches his ambition, in either direction, he could become a seriously good NBA player.

Wayne Hollins really likes shooting the ball, and is one of the most inefficient scorers in the league. I wish some of Greene's desire for passing rubbed off on him. He's actually got a variety of slick post moves, and if he was willing to pass more, could be a tremendous offensive talent. He's still with our team on a technicality.

Dedric Wesley is a raw talent SF with huge upside that has shown flashes of what kind of an offensive talent he could become. I go out of my way to give him more minutes. He's too good to stuff in the G-league for a year, so I have to be selective about how I play him. It's a shame 2k fucks up draft ages so much, because he could have been the entire future of our team, but as it stands, he's likely to merely develop into a very solid, possibly even great supporting piece one day.

Darnell Castro is a throwback pick and roll power forward that has a lot of upside despite being athletically challenged. He's easily the most efficient scorer of our project PF|C players. It's not even close. However, he doesn't really play with the pace of this team, and being our lowest rated player, he plays probably the fewest minutes of the guys, but I go out of my way to give each prospect player a little bit of playing time when it comes available. I think he'll develop into a very good NBA player.

We have a noticeable weakness on this team, and that is that we don't get nearly enough offense out of Esteban Barea, which is inexcusable now that we don't have Bilic's defense. He is a good player that has served us well, but he's now actively costing us basketball games. I have done some digging to see if there are any intriguing packages available if I trade Barea.

PACKAGE A:
Esteban Barea and Darnell Castro to the Pistons for Phil Roy and Stanley Johnson. This is the only package that addresses replacing Barea's offensive role. This trade would involve moving Phil Roy over to SF from SG, which should actually make his OVR go up, because 2k is crazy. King Phillip here was a rotation piece on those Sixer teams we played in the finals, and is a capable scorer, and not a terrible defender, but not as good on defense as any of the swingmen in any of the other packages. This trade would solidify Donta Greene as our development project, and give us a fully-developed rotational piece in Stanley Johnson, who can anchor that position while Greene develops.
+ Both players we get back are signed for two years. Fixes our PF rotation, Replaces Barea's offense, I made up a nickname for one of the players already and have secretly been using it for several seasons.
- Does not address our perimeter defense issue (much)

PACKAGE B:
Esteban Barea, Wayne Hollins, and the '29 first round pick to the Kings for Ellis Frazier and Caris Levert. This package gives us two capable perimeter defenders. One might leave the next season, but if so, we have the other one we can use. Or, if Frazier works out and decides to stay, we could look into moving Levert, who has trade value. This clearly benefits the Kings more than us, but, holy hell do they need it. This would instantly make Barea their best player.
+ Gives us insurance in the form of an extra perimeter player. Takes pity on the Kings. Moves Hollins instead of Castro, and we're gonna lose Hollins anyhow, plus he's not as good.
- Players are a bit old, this is one of the costlier trades. Costs a first round pick.

PACKAGE C:
Darnell Castro and the '29 first round pick to the Celtics for Frankie Lambert. Esteban Barea and a '32 second round pick to the 76ers for Boyd Johnson and their '30 first round pick. Two distinct trades (I think I could set this up as a three-way trade for shits and giggles). Like package B, it gives us two perimeter defenders instead of just one, with a gamble on one potentially leaving for free agency. It has two advantages over package B, in that we replace our first round pick and lose out on a second instead, and the advantage of, if Boyd stays on, he's got a ton of career in front of him.
+ Replaces our lost pick. Gives us insurance in an extra perimeter player. Boyd Johnson is very young.
- We'd probably feel really stupid if we met the 76ers in the finals and Barea dropped 20 on us.

PACKAGE D:
Esteban Barea and Darnell Castro to the Jazz for Jacob Hart and Alen Smailagic. The defensive version of package A. It replaces Barea with a defense minded swingman, while giving us a clear rotational power forward to use while Greene develops.
+ Fixes our PF rotation. Hart is low enough OVR that Dedric Wesley would get more minutes. Our best SF would become our clear starter.
- Hart could walk. Giving Dedric Wesley more minutes is good for us in the long term, but less good in the short term. This could cause us to have a worse playoff position.

PACKAGE E:
Esteban Barea and Jud Webber to the Pacers for Gene Beasley and Barry Gaines. Both players on the Pacers are on rookie deals. Beasley could potentially be with the Honu for 4 years while Gaines could be for 2 without worrying about negotiations. Webber's sort of a luxury piece that's not a big loss.
+ Lots of long term insurance. Both players could conceivably be Honu for a long time.
- Would give us two developing SFs to work with and puts a bunch extra strain on Windler. Makes our glut of developing PFs even more of a clusterfuck.

Package F:
Esteban Barea and a protected '30 first round pick to the Spurs for Lester Burke and the rights to Todd Bass's two-way contract. Another long term deal that gives us a player in Burke who could develop alongside Wesley. Todd Bass is a promising SG in his own right, that could develop nicely in the G-league.
+ Would give us a developing defense-minded SF to contrast against Dedric Wesley's developing offense-minded SF. Possibly gives us an extra promising SG as well. Being on a 2-way contract, Bass won't mind being in the G-league, which should develop him more.
- Costs a first round pick, don't know if it'll put us over the contract limit. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to have two two-way contracts, but I haven't bothered with them for years. Puts more strain on Windler.

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:
1)Esteban Barea
Please vote for an above package or OPTION G, keep Barea.

2)William Floyd
It's also the contract extension deadline soon, and we have two players we could extend. The first is William Floyd, who makes about 22 million a year. He's asking for about 24, but I might be able to talk him down from the look of it. At any rate, he's 27 years old and very solid for us, I think he's asking for a fair price. Do we extend Floyd? And for how long?

3)Delon Wright
The second is Delon Wright. He's making about 7 million a year, and will extend for about 7 million a year. He's 35 years old and on the end of our rotation, but he is not in the reserves and is still very capable in his advanced years. I also feel like this is a more-than-fair asking price for a reliable player. Any extension for Wright will be two years. Both 1 and 3 interest him significantly less. Given his style of play I have no reason to believe he'll drop off significantly by 37. Maybe a point or two. Do we extend Wright?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 1, 2020

TitanG
May 10, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

Also worth noting that for all the hoopla about tanking, the Process-Era 76'ers tore down a conference semifinals team in order to load up on draft picks and develop a powerhouse team that (checks)...uh, has lost in the conference semi-finals. The only team who's successfully rode multiple high lottery picks to a title is 2016 Cleveland and without LeBron's return, that team is Kyrie/Thompson/Waiters/Wiggins and probably tops out as a second round playoff exit.

You're right about tanking being dumb, but the whole media discussion about it tends to be very ill-informed.

I mean sixers also got done dirty by getting Hinkie thrown out and a bunch of shortsighted-to-just-plain-stupid moves pulled in the last couple seasons by Colangelo and Brand along with Fultz somehow forgetting to play basketball.
Personally I think that most of the reason tanking doesn't work is FOs being shockingly loving terrible at their jobs way too often. The Hinkie strat more or less took that into account and they still somehow managed to gently caress up all trade stock with barely anything to show for it.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Teams have traded picks for straight cash before so I can see the lower contract being a reason why someone might trade down. Of course the real reason is that 2ks trade logic is broken.

Also does Vucevic always end up on the Lakers. I've done a lot of MyLeagues and almost every time he ends up there.

It's a good fit bit still.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

1)Esteban Barea
Option D - looks really nice to me

2)William Floyd
Do we extend Floyd? And for how long? - I would say Yes, and I think another 4-5 years wouldn't be out of the question. He'd only be 31-32 at the end.

3)Delon Wright
Yeah sure, give him 2 more years. He's earned it.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
1)C Honestly we need one of the C's Shooting Guards, I want to see if any of them are any good. Boyd Johnson looks interesting offhand and getting a first back is valuable.

2)Extending Will makes sense, and I agree with beejay on the length, 4 years puts both team and player in a good position

3)Let's keep Delon around

edit: Also, for anyone with a PS4 that wants to start their own MyLeague, NBA 2K20 is gonna be free on PS Plus this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I say E or F for some genuinely young players as this team is so deep. I keep having to adjust my expectations as I am used to association football where most players peek very young and basketball is usually 3-4 years later, but even I know that a 4-year college player in the draft (of which there are less and less) is going to be 22 when he declares. Seeing 25-year-old so-called "rookies" is driving me bananas.

I did want to say how warming it is to see Bol... he feels like he's been on this team forever (which he has, but for decades it seems) yet you look and he's only 28. Also, this time used to be run-and-gun with no defence. It has defence now, but the gun is still loaded; this team is teeming (pun intended) with great shooters.

Edit: Extend both Floyd and Wright. I think that the former is overpriced as-is, but being that Billy the Kid is only 27 he still has room to grow.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 1, 2020