Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Um, maybe edit that? You say Blink twice in that sentence, making it very unclear which camera system you're preferring. I *think* you meant "Wyze" instead of the first "Blink".

Good call, I meant Wyze is better in every way except it requires a 5V power source and can't run off of batteries, plus they didn't have an outside version last time I checked.

Anyone here know a lot about Android phone internals? I have so many texts on my phone that it started to behave weird when trying to text, this happened on older, slower phones previously so I figured it's probably time to prune my texts. The problem is I can go in and delete threads one by one, and it looks like they're deleted, but obviously something is still going on behind the scenes because if I reboot it shortly after they reappear. I tried deleting two of my bigger threads today and I'm currently unable to send/receive texts, which I'm assuming means it's still doing something in the background (I can reboot and gain that ability but I want it to finish whatever it's doing).

I tried going to Settings -> Messages and deleting all the data, but that does not delete the texts themselves. I use the Messages app by Google that you have to install from the Play store, but if I uninstall it I'm back on what looks like an older version of the same app. From some searching online it looks like the messages are stored in a place that requires root access, but my phone is not rooted. I haven't used ADB in years but I'm wondering if I get that installed again if there's something I can do to fix this, or if I just need to factory reset my phone.

I don't want to have to install all my apps one by one again, and get them all configured / logged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

slothrop posted:

Just the distraction I need to perfect my evil plan sourdough recipe

How’s that going?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Weird!

I like the white band, but I would get it so dirty, so fast.

It is Silicone and so far oil and grease has wiped right off. Luckily there are literally tons of sub $10 bands on Amazon, eBay and even at Walmart. I have two gray ones in case this one gets dirty but so far its been fine surprisingly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Good call, I meant Wyze is better in every way except it requires a 5V power source and can't run off of batteries, plus they didn't have an outside version last time I checked.

Anyone here know a lot about Android phone internals? I have so many texts on my phone that it started to behave weird when trying to text, this happened on older, slower phones previously so I figured it's probably time to prune my texts. The problem is I can go in and delete threads one by one, and it looks like they're deleted, but obviously something is still going on behind the scenes because if I reboot it shortly after they reappear. I tried deleting two of my bigger threads today and I'm currently unable to send/receive texts, which I'm assuming means it's still doing something in the background (I can reboot and gain that ability but I want it to finish whatever it's doing).

I tried going to Settings -> Messages and deleting all the data, but that does not delete the texts themselves. I use the Messages app by Google that you have to install from the Play store, but if I uninstall it I'm back on what looks like an older version of the same app. From some searching online it looks like the messages are stored in a place that requires root access, but my phone is not rooted. I haven't used ADB in years but I'm wondering if I get that installed again if there's something I can do to fix this, or if I just need to factory reset my phone.

I don't want to have to install all my apps one by one again, and get them all configured / logged in.
Wyze just released an outdoor version.

I have zero idea how to fix your android problem, but I can say it’s one of the many reasons I jumped ship to Apple almost a decade ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html

And it's rechargeable too

[e] pretty sure I'm gonna go this route, great price and no subscription

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MomJeans420 posted:

5v is a positive in my book. It'll run off of any phone charger or a powerbank. Especially great if you're using it off-network as like a wildlife camera or hotel camera or something.
The outdoor cam is supposed to have a pretty good battery actually, and the offline-mode is supposed to allow you to connect to it directly wirelessly via 2.4ghz which is super cool.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

MomJeans420 posted:

Are you clearing storage, or cache? Storage should fully reset the app. If you have any other text message apps, you might have to clear storage on those as well (ie Verizon Messages).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Tbh, yep, poo poo like that is exactly the kind of nonsense they go and do the moment you give them an inch of freedom.

So many idiots.

It's like the UK and US are in a competition. And there are no winners.

MomJeans420 posted:

The Wyze camera that was posted earlier is both of those things (outdoor and battery-operated):
https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html
e: f,b.

In other news, cross-posted from my thread, my garage door opener decided today that it no longer wishes to close the garage door. Initially I thought that the closing force trigger was falsing, because the obstruction sensors are fine. Steady green, and blinks when the beam is broken. Turns out there is a diagnostic, and 5 blinks of the learn light indicates that the controller board isn't seeing motor RPM. Confirmed when it won't even scoot the shuttle down the rail with the door disconnected. It was intermittent. but no it's every time. I could get it to close with a few attempts, but not now. Troubleshooting says to check the motor RPM sensor wiring, an the sensor itself. I'm going to take a quick look, but this thing is over 20 years old (came with the house) and the radio in it failed about 5 or so years ago, necessitating an external receiver. I've also got a MyQ standalone smart controller on it.
Buying a new Chamberlain (current one is a Liftmaster, which is the same thing) would integrate the MyQ, and could add battery backup, which would be nice. Also, upgrade to belt drive.
Only $250...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Too bad you're not on Facebook, AA. I'm trolling you hard. :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Are you clearing storage, or cache? Storage should fully reset the app. If you have any other text message apps, you might have to clear storage on those as well (ie Verizon Messages).

That's what I thought (clearing storage), but that doesn't actually clear the messages database. I saw some things on older versions of Android where if you enabled showing system application settings you could clear a Messages Storage application, but I didn't see that on my phone. I'm using a Pixel 2 on Google Fi so it's not even customized with any carrier specific settings. I got adb working and got a shell on the phone, but you need root access to delete the SQLite databases for the messages.

I may have made progress though, I successfully deleted my wife's text thread and now the phone is behaving much better. I really need to delete a thread with my friends that has a lot more messages, but I think if I do that I can't text anyone for a day or so as it finishes.

Re: Wyze cameras, that's great they have outdoor options, I hadn't seen that yet. I'll check them out and get rid of my Blink ones I think, no need for both apps. I forgot to add that also Blink storage fills up rapidly, whereas Wyze gives you unlimited storage but only for the past two weeks of videos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been keeping busy

New floors in our foyer, basement and dining room

leftover flooring from last year let me update the 3 season room

starting transporting in new topsoil to begin rehabbing the yard

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Buying a new Chamberlain (current one is a Liftmaster, which is the same thing) would integrate the MyQ, and could add battery backup, which would be nice. Also, upgrade to belt drive.
Only $250...
I've got one of the smart chamberlain openers and I'm a fan. I installed one in my last house and liked it enough to put one in my new house. I swear they were a lot cheaper a few years ago. I don't know if I got it on sale or if they jacked the price (or if I'm remembering wrong) but it was still worth it to me.
The belt drive is so much quieter than the chain.
Battery backup is neat but I don't think it's a must have feature.
I really like that it can be configured to automatically close after a set amount of time and that I can manage it with my phone. With my old opener I accidentally left the door up all day a couple times. At least one of those was because the opener decided at the last moment to raise the door back up for reasons but the other time or two was my fault. Now it will just close itself and I can check the app to verify it's closed.
I've got it setup to alert me whenever it opens. I live alone so the door should never go up when I'm not around. I want to know if it does.
I can also raise the door remotely if needed. Like if I'm out of town and need a friend to move a package inside or something I don't have to give them the door code.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Roommate and I took the bikes out.

I made the mistake of following him. Hello downhill ride while getting whipped in the face with twigs. HELLO loving BMX JUMPS?! :wtc: He (barely) stuck the first landing. I didn't. I wasn't expecting to go airborn as soon as I hit a clearing. Bike landed a few feet away from me, I landed on my rear end in mud. Bike is fine, I'm fine, send it.

And yes, it's an actual BMX track in the middle of a wooded park. We both knew there was a BMX loop nearby, we found it on accident. Irony is he has a single speed BMX while I have a decent mountain bike, but we both went rear end over teakettle a few times on that loop before giving up.

Darchangel posted:

The three major metro areas of Texas were all in the top ten of new case last week - with Austin-Round Rock at the top. Houston was somewhere around the middle, and DFW at 10. So way to go! Yay, us!

Yeah, I kinda noticed the Austin part (and I don't get why it's still called Austin-Round Rock... Round Rock borders Austin, though I don't get why the DFW area is referred to as Dallas/Ft Worth/Arlington either). The mayor of Austin is basically saying "I TOLD YOU SO ABBOTT" and trying to tell people to loving wear masks.

I think we're up to 10 or 11 positives in my store now... that I know of. My phone has been blowing up with notifications about positive employees for a couple of days.

Alarbus posted:

Text messages are stored in a SQLite database by most SMS apps these days. The only way to fix it without rooting is to factory reset the phone. And rooting typically wipes it anyway (or rather, unlocking the boot loader wipes it).

Momjeans420, try Textra, and DON'T let it sync. You lose some features vs Messages, but also gain some. Otherwise your best bet is to factory reset. OnePlus Switch should be on the play store, and it can make a backup of your apps (but not much of your actual data). Just make sure not to wipe the SD card (or virtual SD card) when you reset, and make sure to back up the folder OnePlus Switch makes to your PC before wiping.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 29, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Too bad you're not on Facebook, AA. I'm trolling you hard. :D

Huh? Why what did I do now :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
When is it going to be ethical to pay money to SA again? I want to change my av, but I don't want my money going to Lowtax

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Why would you change that???

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like my FIAT av on Slack. I have an unhealthy obsession with them

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It was hard enough for me to remember who Krakkles was after the last av change, don't you go changing yours after a decade too.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

slidebite posted:

I haven't needed to buy TP since the fall, since a Costco sized pack lasts us the better part of 9 months. I guess I should look at doing a run and buying some and paper towel more sooner than later :sigh:

In other news, someone needs to shop this lovely couple into a movie poster

Haha, these are the people in my neighborhood.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Who are they?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Galler posted:

I've got one of the smart chamberlain openers and I'm a fan. I installed one in my last house and liked it enough to put one in my new house. I swear they were a lot cheaper a few years ago. I don't know if I got it on sale or if they jacked the price (or if I'm remembering wrong) but it was still worth it to me.
The belt drive is so much quieter than the chain.
Battery backup is neat but I don't think it's a must have feature.
I really like that it can be configured to automatically close after a set amount of time and that I can manage it with my phone. With my old opener I accidentally left the door up all day a couple times. At least one of those was because the opener decided at the last moment to raise the door back up for reasons but the other time or two was my fault. Now it will just close itself and I can check the app to verify it's closed.
I've got it setup to alert me whenever it opens. I live alone so the door should never go up when I'm not around. I want to know if it does.
I can also raise the door remotely if needed. Like if I'm out of town and need a friend to move a package inside or something I don't have to give them the door code.

Thanks for your insight.
$250 is a 1-1/4 HP (overkill) with MyQ and battery backup. Basically all the bessls and whistles except the built-in camera (which is not available with the battery backup, or at HD. Lowe's has that one (3/4 HP, MyQ, Camera, no backup, and a less-smart wall remote) for $279.
1/2 HP basic belt-drive Chamberlain with MyQ is $168, and a Genie 3/4 HP belt drive basic smart opener (but won't work with Amazon Key, because it's not Chamberlain's myQ, and that's who Amazon has partnered with apparently exclusively) is $148. Not having myQ isn't a huge issue, since I have the standalone myQ.
I'd really like a direct drive, but don't really need on, and they're $500.
Current one is 1/2 HP, so the $148 should be adequate. I've got the springs set so the door can be opened with one hand. It's just a bit on the "it closes by itself" side of balanced. But, the extra $80 for the bells and whistles model gets me more HP (grunt, grunt), battery backup, a second $30 remote, and a smart wall remote. I'm buying on a credit card so...

EDIT: replacement RPM sensor is $15, but I can't be sure it'll fix it, other major parts are broken (radio, plastic is starting to crumble), and, frankly, I'm starting to hate the damned thing for all the attention I've had to give it. That said, the actual motor is good, and the screw drive, while not the quietest compared to belt, is still pretty quiet. My only concern would be range - I've had trouble with the range on the original radio and the standalone Chamberlain radio I was using. The Genie standalone I have now seems to work OK to the end of the driveway at least, though the myQ makes this less of an issue, and I have a hard-wired keypad. I can keep using the Genie if I so desire (it has keychain-sized remotes, which is nice) if the Chamberlain is still range limited. And yes, I did remove the LED bulbs I had in it when I was testing range. Regardless, door opener manufacturers need to take into account the fact that *everyone* is using LED bulbs everywhere. I can use CFLs in the opener, though, I guess, like the instructions say.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 30, 2020

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Charles posted:

Who are they?

White Americans

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

The Door Frame posted:

When is it going to be ethical to pay money to SA again? I want to change my av, but I don't want my money going to Lowtax

Is that Coach Buzzcut (from Beavis & Butthead), uh, snorting Nitro-tech off of some dudes rock hard abs?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

TWBalls posted:

Is that Coach Buzzcut (from Beavis & Butthead), uh, snorting Nitro-tech off of some dudes rock hard abs?

Nope, no clue what that guy looks like. It's from Terminal Lance, when the guy is talking about why he never wants to go to the gym

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I would wait at least until you see an announcement from Jeffery that the forum/company purchase is complete and in his hands.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

The Door Frame posted:

Nope, no clue what that guy looks like. It's from Terminal Lance, when the guy is talking about why he never wants to go to the gym

He looks pretty much like your AV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzCnrpfUaAk

Never heard of Terminal Lance. I'll have to check it out.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

builds character posted:

How’s that going?

it's coming along, I haven't quite got the surface tension right so it's pancaking a little but I'll work on that today. Flavour is A++

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

the screw drive, while not the quietest compared to belt, is still pretty quiet

Every screw drive Genie opener I've run across sounds like a blender full of marbles when it's running.

I'm sure it's partly lack of maintenance, but they really do have a lot more care and feeding vs a chain or belt. My parents bought their house when it was 5 years old, and the original Genie was already loud as hell. It would quiet down for 6-8 weeks after being touched and lubed, but then went back to being loud as hell quickly after. Lived in a few other houses with Genie screw drives, and... same thing.

The only thing I really like about them is you can physically move the limit switches on the track.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Charles posted:

Who are they?

A couple of lawyers who live in the same neighborhood as the mayor(?) of St. Louis, who were so outraged at seeing protesters outside they decided to help deescalate tensions by waving guns around. The guy spent most of the time pointing his gun squarely at his wife, who gesticulated wildly with her tiny baby little pistol like someone who had never picked up a gun before and had no business handling one.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Anyone have experience with pi-hole and such? I spent Saturday night setting up my first raspberry pi, SSH into it, installing pihole, and it’s sitting there plugged into my router and nothing. Still have ads on everything. I assume I have to tell the router to do something I got as far as giving it its own static ip (the pi). Internet works perfect at home I really don’t want to screw it up. Tplink 450 router.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm pretty sure you have to tell your router to use the raspberry pi's IP address as the router's default DNS server. Remember that setting, and just revert it if that fucks something up.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

TWBalls posted:

He looks pretty much like your AV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzCnrpfUaAk

Never heard of Terminal Lance. I'll have to check it out.

Oh, I totally see it. Beavis and Butthead was a bit before my time

Terminal Lance is about being a Lance Corporal in the USMC and all the dumb poo poo it entails. It's pretty good and I've heard good things about the author's graphic novel White Donkey

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

everdave posted:

Anyone have experience with pi-hole and such? I spent Saturday night setting up my first raspberry pi, SSH into it, installing pihole, and it’s sitting there plugged into my router and nothing. Still have ads on everything. I assume I have to tell the router to do something I got as far as giving it its own static ip (the pi). Internet works perfect at home I really don’t want to screw it up. Tplink 450 router.

A quick glance looks like you have to tell each pc to use the pihole's ip as a DNS server. Not sure if the router will let you set the DNS server to a local up, but if so, all dhcp assigned devices would automatically get the pihole ip as DNS server. If not, change your DNS server in your internet connection options on your device.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

slothrop posted:

it's coming along, I haven't quite got the surface tension right so it's pancaking a little but I'll work on that today. Flavour is A++

That looks good! Is your starter very active? I find it makes a difference if I’m feeding it 2x/day vs being lazy and doing it every other day, for example.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My main thing is I want to get rid of ads on The smart tv. At work it’s not a problem as locker gets rid of them. But watching car videos at home when I don’t have the kids or when me and the kids watch old kid shows on these off brand Roku channels and there are 3 ads every 10 minutes...

I k ow it has to be something with what y’all have said but a quick look the internet is filled with people “breaking” their internet. Yes I can always reset the router but I spent hours doing my first pi my first ssh it is pretty frustrating. All to keep me from going out drinking ha so maybe it did serve it’s purpose

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Pihole might be what you're looking for?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Pihole might be what you're looking for?

I’ve got pihole installed and running! But it’s not blocking anything, so I need to figure out how to make the router run everything through the pi? Without hurting or slowing down interwebs at home

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

everdave posted:

I’ve got pihole installed and running! But it’s not blocking anything, so I need to figure out how to make the router run everything through the pi? Without hurting or slowing down interwebs at home

I think you need to configure your router to use the pihole as its dns server.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The devices you want to use pihole need to use the pihole as their dns server. This is either achieved by hard coding that setting in the device, or by changing the dhcp settings in the dhcp server (likely your router) so it sends out the pihole IP as the dns server, but in that case it’s all or nothing.

Beware that YouTube has some fuckery going on where ads are currently not blocked (last I checked.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thank you for this. Also, her shiny pistol is probably either a 380 or a 9. So it's not some harmless little thing, especially with someone like her on the backside of it. She looks loving unhinged in that photo.