Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

its been on my mind for a month or two now and putting together a fancy gba is probably gonna be my christmas gift to myself :)

awesome. I also recommend the audio amp mod, you can hear it from two rooms over but it's a bit of a pain to install and also increases the cost by like $30 so it's not for everyone

Let me know if you need any links for the stuff you gotta buy. It can get a bit confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

PlayStation 2 DVD Player Exploit. This allows you to burn your own PlayStation 2 homebrew discs and play them on an unmodified console as seen in the demo video. With uLaunchELF as the initial program, users can include multiple homebrew programs on the same disc.

For technical details please refer to my blog post.

https://github.com/CTurt/FreeDVDBoot

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

it says homebrew but can you just burn a game?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

it says homebrew but can you just burn a game?

Yeah I think they just say homebrew to cover their rear end or something. Or you might need a homebrew wrapper to boot games properly. It's a cool new way to play hacked stuff on a PS2 without much modding work at least, and people will add more stuff over time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think there was an unmodded way to load games off of an external HDD but it's still cool that you can do it straight vanilla now.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

I think there was an unmodded way to load games off of an external HDD but it's still cool that you can do it straight vanilla now.

oh id probably prefer doing this. ill google that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you have a Free McBoot memory card (you can buy them online for like $10) you can load off a hard drive or even off a network share. It works great

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

i think the big difference with this is this just works on any ps2 while with that you need at the least a hacked memory card to bootstrap your way in

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

How much is a PS2 these days and can you easily HDMI convert that rear end.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

How much is a PS2 these days and can you easily HDMI convert that rear end.

i just looked and theyre <$100 so im going to buy one lol. no about hdmi because im gonna put that baby through my CRT

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

i just looked and theyre <$100 so im going to buy one lol. no about hdmi because im gonna put that baby through my CRT

I was thinking for making streaming easier is all.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

I was thinking for making streaming easier is all.

ok i looked and it turns out its a $10 device you can plug straight into the ps2

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Thanks Bro.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

now waiting for my ps2 and free mcboot card to arrive.... I basically only experienced that era friends houses so i have a lot of classic gaming to catch up on

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PS2 has some of the all-time greats... I envy anyone experiencing them for the first time

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Luckily i don’t need a ps2 because the ps3 was hacked no matter what firmware you’re on

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Frenz posted:

Luckily i don’t need a ps2 because the ps3 was hacked no matter what firmware you’re on

cute meme but seriously you need a ps2

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

This.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the real question is did they hack the Nintendo 64 yet. Now that would be real nifty

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Klowner posted:

the real question is did they hack the Nintendo 64 yet. Now that would be real nifty

man when you can run burned dvds on a n64 we're making a new thread

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Klowner posted:

you just get a flash cart

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elf help book posted:

man when you can run burned dvds on a n64 we're making a new thread

Driving my nintendo 64 to work

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

PS2 has some of the all-time greats... I envy anyone experiencing them for the first time

i have mgs 4 and 5 already in the wings waiting to be played after going 16 years without getting spoiled on 3

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

trying to jack off posted:

i have mgs 4 and 5 already in the wings waiting to be played after going 16 years without getting spoiled on 3

MGS3 is one of the best games of all time for sure... and there's a lot of stuff in 4 and 5 that reference it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what's the best metal gear game to play if you have shamefully never played one that would be available on current consoles?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

what's the best metal gear game to play if you have shamefully never played one that would be available on current consoles?

You still need to beat Metal Gear (NES) so start there.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

Solid 3 is the best one. Some people might say play Solid 1 first to understand the context of the game itself, even if you don't really understand the story. I think they're available on the PS4 legacy collection.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Get the Legacy collection on PS3 and play all of them. MG1 and 2 kick rear end, as well as MGS1, which became my favorite probably.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

Get the Legacy collection on PS3 and play all of them. MG1 and 2 kick rear end, as well as MGS1, which became my favorite probably.

yea the legacy collection rules

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thanks. it'll be some time before i get to it, but i will.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i went through mgs1,2,3,4,PW and Revengence all for the first time only about when 5 came out, and they all rule

youre stealing from yourself if you skip ahead

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah if they're all in the legacy collection, i'll just play them in order, that's what i'm doing with the batman games atm

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
With Metal Gear July coming up, people should definitely think about playing PW for the first time if they haven't already. It's like the proof of concept for the ideas behind V, and it's also got the best theme of any of the games (sorry Snake Eater).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdS1BG6ulw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sins of the father is better imo but the mission where it comes in...HYPE

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

There’s not really a bad MG game imo. I haven’t played MGS 4 or Revengeance so my statement doesn’t apply to those.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1258839443542282240

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

elf help book posted:

I only use my ps3 to play psx and ps2 games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the collection is loving sick and it's the only reason I wish I still had my ps3 hooked up. Maybe I'll dig it out for July...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

With Metal Gear July coming up, people should definitely think about playing PW for the first time if they haven't already. It's like the proof of concept for the ideas behind V, and it's also got the best theme of any of the games (sorry Snake Eater).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdS1BG6ulw

trying to beat missions with just the banana was awesome and I was bummed out when MGSV didn't have something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a PC mod for V that makes every single mission a subsistence mission which is absolutely the way that game should be played on a subsequent playthrough. gently caress Konami.