Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Somehow I didn't really consider the fact that non-senet creatures in this setting have fully developed via the slow grind of evolution. It just feels like it'd be a tolkien-esque setting where those initial steps were skipped over, especially with the senet beasts as templates. But nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

isndl posted:

Those... aren't eyes in her wings. :aaaaa:

Four! Pages! http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_35.html

also ash has, uh, put some thought into the wingthings

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 11, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That is hilariously detailed, especially the "don't stick your dick in it," part.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Good to see you again, Definitely The Real Emil Toma. :3:

also 1? previous page about Duane waking up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Elka's gonna turn into a butt :ohdear:

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

It looks like Toma is missing a hand.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

akulanization posted:

It looks like Toma is missing a hand.

Nah, you can see it in the first panel.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I don't recall Elka being so stacked. Anti-breastplate indeed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also ash details the implant a bit in the chat - it's a pymaric implanted into her hip that monitors her skeleton, and when it takes a hit it makes her bones either more flexible or more rigid, depending, so they don't get broke

handy that

quote:

There’s a vast array of pymaric implants, from the medical to the martial to the merely aesthetic. Aldish brow piercings often serve as ports for various implants. Quigley’s glasses - since they screw into his brow port - are technically a kind of pymaric implant since they allow him to see khert lines when they’re active, helping with his aim.

But Elka’s is surgical. It’s a few strips of First Gold enchanted with spells that can recognise incoming stresses to her bones, that were then carefully applied over one of her hips, gilding it. The implant monitors her skeleton and can dynamically alter it to withstand injury. Pretty snazzy.

But not rare, not obscure. Since this is Cresce it’s not costly, per se, but Elka had to jump through hoops and apply for it, convincing her superiors she planned to be with the Peaceguard long enough to warrant the implantation. Elka darkly thinks they let her have it ‘cause they figured someone so ugly wouldn’t score a husband or get knocked up any time soon.

Knock wanted to see it! She wanted all the information I just gave you, and then probably wanted Elka to let her kick her skull as hard as possible. Ya know. So she could see it in action :3

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 25, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Couple pages to catch up, but Toma's creamstick's fine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elka, you minx

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

At this delicate time the Frummagems'd like ya to know its professional elimination services're discreet and passin' affordable.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Loving that dip into the Anime Zone tbh

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I feel like Toma with a compound fracture is still a significant threat.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Well I mean he made his name taking on several bandits while his leg was broken, I think he's like one of those pokemon that fight better when they're hurt.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Gonna cross post this from the general webcomics thread because someone asked if Unsounded is still going, and it just resumed today, but this is a bit of my take on things now.

Unsounded is still going other then the occasional "scheduled" break. I still really enjoy it for the characters and word building, but jumping from so many different sets of characters, side stories, and settings back and forth it sure can take a while for anything to move forward much with any particular group. Some of it seems more like the multiple stories the author wants to write for themselves because she sure does love her characters, then conveying the story to be easily read and seen which is fine, but I totally get how that can get tiring for plenty of readers, myself sometimes included.

I still like the unique universe, and the author having so much of it fleshed out in their head when she does the constant tumblr Q&A's that it keeps my interest, but I do wish we could fast forward a bit pretty often. I feel like that might be part of my issue with it, the fact that the author has it all figured out but really likes hinting and teasing at things with no context and no reason for anyone to have a clue about what's going on. It's like a jig saw puzzle with half the pieces missing, but I guess that's supposed to be "clever", both for the author and anyone trying to piece anything together, with the hint that one day the rest of the pieces will show up years from now.

That might all sound like a tough criticism, but I mean it more as a complement in the "I care enough that I just want some answers" category then anything.

In current news, Matty sure seems to take to the part of playing the perfect little gentleman!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Unsounded definitely has the problem of spreading perspectives too thin, and especially filling them with deep intrigues that no one is spelling out specifically. There's some really interesting plotting and worldbuilding, but a lot of the time showing off what e.g. Queen Sonorie is doing means taking weeks or months away from other characters so you don't keep track of what they're doing and been up to. On top of that a lot of it ties into worldbuilding notes that aren't actually in the comic and come from other sources!

It especially doesn't help that we've just had a whole chapter of flashback. Extended flashbacks are death for story engagement.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tenebrais posted:

Unsounded definitely has the problem of spreading perspectives too thin, and especially filling them with deep intrigues that no one is spelling out specifically. There's some really interesting plotting and worldbuilding, but a lot of the time showing off what e.g. Queen Sonorie is doing means taking weeks or months away from other characters so you don't keep track of what they're doing and been up to. On top of that a lot of it ties into worldbuilding notes that aren't actually in the comic and come from other sources!

It especially doesn't help that we've just had a whole chapter of flashback. Extended flashbacks are death for story engagement.

I'll pay it.

I give a negative gently caress about a lot of characters, many of whom the plot itself knows you won't like... but for some reason we gotta watch them do child slavery or boring court drama in order to get a ~feel~ and its like, no... you were doing so well with the organic worldbuilding why the gently caress are you explaining yourself!?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That probably is my biggest pet peeve, the comic actually is really good at organic world building but then it will stop and go back and laboriously explain a bunch of details that are either redundant or unnecessary.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ain't nobody needed to see murkoph!! get this c plot poo poo out of here.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Motherfucker posted:

ain't nobody needed to see murkoph!! get this c plot poo poo out of here.

:emptyquote:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Uaid's back, and also some troubling revelations on her tumblr:

quote:

Man, Anon, do you know about Mickey Mouse’s ears?

They make no sense! Front view, side view, three-quarter view, it doesn’t matter! His ears are where we need his ears to be.

Look at Sette’s cowlick-

??? ???

Don’t worry too much if you need to shift stuff around on your character design, as long as it still looks good. Of course your instinct for where and when this works will develop as you gain experience. I say if you come up with a design you really like, but are having trouble making it work from other angles, keep at it! Try making a model if you’re really stumped. Just get some clay, and sculpt something rough that you can use to help your brain get a grasp on the shape as it turns through space. This is very valid and lots of the best illustrators in the world do it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_52.html

Uaid has wiggly toes, Matty has happy dances, Quigley has nonchalant "yeah yeah, you're welcome son, it's what I do, whatever". Pretty cute page!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Quigs casually rocking those boots, DILF rear end hoe.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I'm impressed he's able to keep his composure writing while his chair appears to be flying up into the air (presumably due to the impact of Uaid slamming the ground).
Maybe the chair is just angled but it really looks like it's hovering to my eye.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Uaid's back, and also some troubling revelations on her tumblr:
Have you seen Mickey's ears in 3D? I find the way they constantly slide around his head to get into the proper Branding Position incredibly disquieting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z34MJIVqHq0&t=115s

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Duane'll learn ya. He knows the whole of spellery, from the spuh to the ree.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Quigs asks good questions IMO.

Also I'm not sure a shrubbery nose will suffice to make a flaming skull with spiked tentacles stealthy.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Quigs asks good questions IMO.

Also I'm not sure a shrubbery nose will suffice to make a flaming skull with spiked tentacles stealthy.

Maybe the tree lights on fire and then it's a smoke screen!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I can only assume we found the alcove where the Gefendur worship Sette.

edit:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 3, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Kind of weird way of phrasing it, but does sette have nose ports for smelling primary?

She doesn’t have nose ports, but she has a completely different sinus structure than you or I do. It looks much more like a… well, like a dog’s, full of olfactory receptors bunched together and winding back through her skull. Sette’s greatly elevated sense of smell is as physical as it is metaphysical.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

surprised all the beatings didn't break it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Chapter 15 page 56 (not up yet on the main site, I think?): fairly surprising tooth configurations in some of these old shrines...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch15/ch15_56.html

it's there

kinda reminds me of one of the first D&D game I played, where there was a catacomb that just continued down forever and after a while in the very deep levels the skulls started to no longer look human.

Also Sette ain't afraid of no bones, but who she gonna call?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Sette being happy and getting along with her peers is everything I want, it's such a pity she's got boatloads of trauma coming (oh and you have to react to this cuz I had to go through like ten traffic light captchas to post)

It’s gonna be fine! I’m currently drawing the most fun and cute scene, it’s very happy and I think you will enjoy it :3

Drop your guards, all you cynics! This chapter is like ninety percent relationship-building and super cuteness!

...but what's the other ten percent

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Can I be in two gangs?"

Sette just made a discovery that will change her life. From then on, she will strive to act like an Elder Scrolls protagonist, joining every gang she finds to become their leader, until she is boss of every faction in the world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Comment on this page from her Patreon:

quote:

Ah, the sweet intoxication of a kindred spirit. Sette hasn't had a friend her own age in a long, long time.

I've been writing Sette for aeons, and it's interesting the kinds of people she connects with. She doesn't do well with weak-willed people - her instinct is to dominate them, and then they never earn her respect. Her sweet spot is another troublemaker but one who recognises she is a troublemaker too, and who gives her space to strut around and show off.

Sara's perfect. Her dramatic tendencies and morbid sense of humour helps too. It's interesting that they're otherwise so different though~

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Duane about to start. Some. poo poo.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Duane about to start. Some. poo poo.

Oh there's a full on magical storm going on outside that has no sign of stopping and the country that I hate is sending an army this way? Lets just go ahead and assault the person in charge of the shrine that is giving me and my group sanctuary. *sarcasm* Good call Duane! He's off his rocker more then usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, murdering children is a pretty good way to get most anyone to go off, let alone Duane.