Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Onmi posted:

the mandates came about as a direct response for what happened in the comics before, due to Penders, Bollers, and Archie as a whole. To ask them to remove them, would be to go "Yeah yeah just trust things will be fine again, just because the last time you let them have free reign, you wound up with an utter shitshow of a comic that was damaging the brand. And then you got involved in several lawsuits. You definitely don't need to care."

Of all the things Sega is being, stupid isn't one of them with having a strict list of "poo poo you aren't allowed to do." After the last time. Yes, it may have been different people that trashed the house, but if it were you, you'd keep the rules on them anyway, because you've seen how bad it can get.

When you compare every other comic franchise when a series goes down hill changing the creative team and having good communication is all you really need. The mandates were a backlash for sure but now they are just holding their content back instead of protecting it. I love Sega but they are kind of dumb with very all or nothing ideas. Sonic 06 was a huge disaster because of horrible deadlines, a tiny team, splitting that team, moving up release to an anniversary date, losing the head of sonic team, etc. Just a ton of reasons why the game failed, but when it failed Sega was just like "Welp i guess people don't like sonic games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 anymore" and since then they haven't done a serious plot and all their 3D games use the horrible boost system. Its a shame and not to get to into Sega as game company, but if they could just get over things when they fumble they would probably still be a big time console company and not just a 3rd party right now.

Give creators freedom and control, but just have some oversight of the project to make sure things dont go off the rails. It doesn't need to be so all or nothing. If they wont trust IDW then I don't see why they even bothered signing with them and leaving archie.

And lawsuits wouldnt really be an issue without the mandate since 2011 Sega has had a firm grip on all copy rights of any characters/stories from any of their spin off media instead of allowing idw, archie, or technicolor to own anything. They just licenses out the right for them to create content with their IP for limited times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

These mandates aren't coming from Sega as a monolithic company that is of one mind. They're coming from the marketing department handling a licensed comic, with the addition of a legal department that has already been burned due to negligence. The point of the comic to Sega's side of the equation is not to tell deep, meaningful stories. It is to have another way to market Sonic to kids.

Saying Sega is being dumb is completely ignoring what the situation actually is. These are very clearly the rules of a marketing rep protecting the marketable characters' images. To have Sega tell IDW "do whatever you want" would be just inviting trouble, because the purpose of the comics is to sell Sonic, and sell his merch, and sell his games.

This isn't a Transformers situation where the primary purpose is to provide fiction for a toyline. This isn't a Megaman situation where the franchise was all but dead, and the comics were essentially retelling the story of the franchise but expanded.

The Sonic comics are part of a living franchise, with a cast of characters that Sega wants to keep reasonably consistent across media. He just had a movie that made a gently caress ton of money, they don't want to rock the boat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

Right now the biggest thing hurting the brand/franchise right now is Sega's games, am I right? :downsrim: heyooooooo I'll be here all week folks

I think we can all agree that SEGA should have died years ago, almost any company would handle it's IP's better than them

Also what games, it's been several years since Mania and Forces came out and not counting the newest one of those Olympic Games crossovers with Mario*, we haven't heard a peep from SEGA about the next game in the franchise, like I think this might be the longest the franchise has gone without there either being a newly released game or one that's been publicly announced to be in development

*honestly it's weird that they've been doing those games for the better part of a decade now and yet they still haven't tried doing a more conventional crossover between Mario and Sonic(not counting Smash)

Kurui Reiten posted:

These mandates aren't coming from Sega as a monolithic company that is of one mind. They're coming from the marketing department handling a licensed comic, with the addition of a legal department that has already been burned due to negligence. The point of the comic to Sega's side of the equation is not to tell deep, meaningful stories. It is to have another way to market Sonic to kids.

Saying Sega is being dumb is completely ignoring what the situation actually is. These are very clearly the rules of a marketing rep protecting the marketable characters' images. To have Sega tell IDW "do whatever you want" would be just inviting trouble, because the purpose of the comics is to sell Sonic, and sell his merch, and sell his games.

This isn't a Transformers situation where the primary purpose is to provide fiction for a toyline. This isn't a Megaman situation where the franchise was all but dead, and the comics were essentially retelling the story of the franchise but expanded.

The Sonic comics are part of a living franchise, with a cast of characters that Sega wants to keep reasonably consistent across media. He just had a movie that made a gently caress ton of money, they don't want to rock the boat.

Nah they're still being morons, besides the comics have honestly been really lovely at being advertisements for the games basically their entire existence, often because SEGA wouldn't allow Archie, Fleetway, or IDW to do it right

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

drrockso20 posted:

I think we can all agree that SEGA should have died years ago, almost any company would handle it's IP's better than them

Also what games, it's been several years since Mania and Forces came out and not counting the newest one of those Olympic Games crossovers with Mario*, we haven't heard a peep from SEGA about the next game in the franchise, like I think this might be the longest the franchise has gone without there either being a newly released game or one that's been publicly announced to be in development

*honestly it's weird that they've been doing those games for the better part of a decade now and yet they still haven't tried doing a more conventional crossover between Mario and Sonic(not counting Smash)

Nah they're still being morons, besides the comics have honestly been really lovely at being advertisements for the games basically their entire existence, often because SEGA wouldn't allow Archie, Fleetway, or IDW to do it right

Well to be fair they were about to announce the next sonic game, but the outbreak caused South by Southwest 2020 to be canceled so they had to reschedule their accountant. It was pushed back to this month, but its hard to say if that will still happen or in what format it will be revealed. I wonder if they would try a Sega Direct kind of thing.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

So, uh, what exactly do you consider to be "right", when it comes to Sonic comics? It sounds like none of the companies' approaches have appealed to you. Considering the massive coverage of the styles of all three combined, I honestly have no idea what you want.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Mask posted:

Well to be fair they were about to announce the next sonic game, but the outbreak caused South by Southwest 2020 to be canceled so they had to reschedule their accountant. It was pushed back to this month, but its hard to say if that will still happen or in what format it will be revealed. I wonder if they would try a Sega Direct kind of thing.

Oh didn't know that

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, uh, what exactly do you consider to be "right", when it comes to Sonic comics? It sounds like none of the companies' approaches have appealed to you. Considering the massive coverage of the styles of all three combined, I honestly have no idea what you want.

Honestly I actually do like most of what Archie was doing once Ian took over and cleaned up the mess Penders had left up through the cancellation, and I've only read a little Fleetway in truth(really hard to read due to how much of a prick Sonic is in that version), I just also know that Ian could be doing so much better at IDW if he wasn't so bound by the Mandates(though it probably would have been better if he had avoided any long arcs for a couple years so he could build up more in the way of an OC cast that he can actually do interesting things with rather than dive right into doing big arcs)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Course given what's been going on Comics wise, between the comic stores and the big two seemingly imploding in on themselves, it's a swing if we'll see anything post #28.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 2, 2020

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I'm hoping once this arc is over they do a Silver series. I really love idw Silver and it be cool to see his future, life, and relationships get fleshed out since no one has ever bothered to do a version of his future that isnt ruined.

I would love if they brought back the Silver Age crew from Archie, they're post-reboot, Ian-created characters, so I think they should be useable? Probably can't bring back the exact stories, but I really liked the future cyberpunk dystopia stuff they introduced.

mostly I just miss the bits tho

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
I'm also hoping that since they are using the mobians have their own world, and humans have their own world concept from sonic x.

They should do a storyline that takes place between sonic unleashed and sonic colors where it shows sonic and friends going from earth back to mobius. Because I'd like some clairifaction about the events of SA, Sonic Battle, SA2, Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Unleashed. I think it be really lame if they removed Maria and Gerald Robotnik from shadows history in this contunity, and having a story that explains them being on earth for a while from sonic adventure 1 up till sonic unleashed would be nice since humans were important to those games storylines.

Maybe thet went to earth to get the chaos emerald that some how got sent there, and they manged to get there by warping angel island there to explain how chaos and the master emerald would be on earth for sonic adventure 1.

Oof I'm getting all fan fictiony now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I'm also hoping that since they are using the mobians have their own world, and humans have their own world concept from sonic x.

They should do a storyline that takes place between sonic unleashed and sonic colors where it shows sonic and friends going from earth back to mobius. Because I'd like some clairifaction about the events of SA, Sonic Battle, SA2, Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Unleashed. I think it be really lame if they removed Maria and Gerald Robotnik from shadows history in this contunity, and having a story that explains them being on earth for a while from sonic adventure 1 up till sonic unleashed would be nice since humans were important to those games storylines.

Maybe thet went to earth to get the chaos emerald that some how got sent there, and they manged to get there by warping angel island there to explain how chaos and the master emerald would be on earth for sonic adventure 1.

Oof I'm getting all fan fictiony now.

Don't worry about it, I have fanfic thoughts occasionally too, like what I would do if I were in charge of a Sonic reboot(that presumably is under less restrictions than IDW Sonic is), regarding Humans in such a scenario my take on it would probably be something along the lines of having them be present on the same world as Sonic(as it makes things less convoluted) but they aren't native to it either

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The comic mandates are pretty in line with everything Sega's done with the Sonic franchise- ie, massive overreactions to previous mistakes due to their own carelessness that fail to address the core of the issue.

Would be interesting to see if they tie in the movie stuff with the comic, since it's basically the first time we've ever had a real origin story for Sonic (besides the ol Dr Kintobor silliness) and actually explains a lot.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The comic mandates are pretty in line with everything Sega's done with the Sonic franchise- ie, massive overreactions to previous mistakes due to their own carelessness that fail to address the core of the issue.

Would be interesting to see if they tie in the movie stuff with the comic, since it's basically the first time we've ever had a real origin story for Sonic (besides the ol Dr Kintobor silliness) and actually explains a lot.

Sonic movie spoilers: Ironically enough, if we assume the Mushroom Planet is Mushroom Hill Zone, I'm pretty sure this puts Sonic's world very much in line with Mario's. In that humans totally exist, they're just populating a random kingdom / zone that the main cast doesn't usually interact with. Would that mean Earth and the town of Green Hills are basically just the New Donk City of the Sonic world?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I think Ian's stated that the two worlds thing has been SEGA internal canon since Sonic Adventure.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

I think Ian's stated that the two worlds thing has been SEGA internal canon since Sonic Adventure.

Pretty sure Sega themselves have stated that, too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I was more kidding about the Sonic games in general and their increasingly mediocre quality. I haven't actually played Forces but I haven't heard anyone be like "wow this is great!" more just "well it's fun to make the goofiest OC possible." Also it's worth noting that Mania wasn't really made by Sega at all and it's probably the best thing to happen to the franchise since, what Generations probably?

But I digress

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I'm hoping once this arc is over they do a Silver series. I really love idw Silver and it be cool to see his future, life, and relationships get fleshed out since no one has ever bothered to do a version of his future that isnt ruined.

True but then it's hard to get him with the rest of the cast, plus "avoiding my ruined future" is basically as central to Silver's character as "Gotta protect my emerowd!" is to Knuckles'.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

TwoPair posted:

True but then it's hard to get him with the rest of the cast, plus "avoiding my ruined future" is basically as central to Silver's character as "Gotta protect my emerowd!" is to Knuckles'.

Yeah but he is still protecting the same thing. Saving the future is just saving/protecting his own world from his point of view so if it wasn't in ruins he would still strive to protect it in the same way. Though i find it more likely something will happen to just make it so he cant go back to his own time for some reason.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Evan Stanley is taking over Sonic with #33, while Ian Flynn moves on to a new miniseries.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2020/04/14/sonic-the-hedgehog-idw-new-arc-writer-bad-guys-miniseries/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oof, RIP comic

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Maybe not, she did do Age of Silver for Archie and The Baby episode of Sonic Boom so I think she'll probably not put the comic in a blender.

Like I'd be more suprised if she did the comic in as opposed to the ongoing crisis doing IDW in (who were not in the base of shape before 2020 turned into fuckjhar) sealing the comic's fate.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 14, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
plus she's not replacing Ian full time (despite how headlines make it out to be), she's gonna alternate with Ian.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

plus she's not replacing Ian full time (despite how headlines make it out to be), she's gonna alternate with Ian.

Oh, that's less problematic.

I did forget IDW was already in dire straits before 2020, though. RIP comic.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Wowie, talk about your "good news and bad news" situation! I hope this works out for IDW, I've been enjoying the comic so far and I'd hate for people to lose jobs.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hey, does anyone even remember this comic exists and what was going on? I do! A new issue came out this week, and I certainly wasn't expecting to be rooting for the Babylon Rogues.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also, assuming this is genuine, Tangle and Whisper might be making the jump to an official Sonic game!

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1276804127155093504?s=20

I mean, it's a lovely free to play mobile game, but it's something!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, does anyone even remember this comic exists and what was going on? I do! A new issue came out this week, and I certainly wasn't expecting to be rooting for the Babylon Rogues.

Sorry, the rest of everything going to poo poo kinda caught my attention.

Yep, pretty good issue all in, I'd say.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Veotax posted:

Also, assuming this is genuine, Tangle and Whisper might be making the jump to an official Sonic game!

I am very close to 100% upgrading all the characters in this lovely free to play mobile game, so I for one am looking forward to it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new issue also did come out and the Metal Virus Saga ends next issue.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, it's not too surprising. The Babylon Rogues have always been more rivals than villains, even in their first appearance in Sonic Riders. It was pretty cool to see characters other than the game headliners in action though. I especially liked Espio vs. Zazz. The fact that this series has finally led me to remembering any of the Deadly Six's names beyond Zavok and Zeena certainly puts it in high spirits for me! If we get a bit of pathos from Zavok given that most of the other Zeti were left to be converted into Zombots, I might just have to actually call them the greatest Sonic comics of all time. :v:

Veotax posted:

Snaps and dang, wish my phone could play this!

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Yeah it was confirmed yesterday

https://twitter.com/SEGAHARDlight/status/1277271156903550977?s=20

Kinda cool, I figured they would just ignore any comic forever

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I get the feeling that Sega has a much better relationship with IDW than they did with Archie, which isn't surprising as they basically left Archie unsupervised for god knows how long.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Which is a double sided sword what with Abridged Shadow and all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, is that mobile game any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I think it's one of those endless runner type games, don't know anything about it beyond that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Saoshyant posted:

There are three sonic dash games at this point:

Sonic Dash is the original, a very straightforward three lane endless runner that's got a bunch of characters and ~4 concurrent progression systems, but is very fair and even- you will not feel much pressure to pay anything if you don't want to. Unlockable areas are mostly cosmetic, and almost all unlockable characters have only negligible stat differences; Big the Cat's shields last a bit longer than Metal Sonic, but Metal's magnet power lasts longer than Big's, etc. Periodic events let you unlock characters for free, and they're actually very doable with a bit of practice. Tangle and Whisper will probably come here eventually; almost all new characters are now introduced in Sonic Forces, then available in Sonic Dash a bit later on.

Sonic Dash 2: Boom is a sequel set in the Sonic Boom setting- it stopped getting new content after about six months, leaving the prices and XP curve in a very weird place that was intended to support a much more extensive game. Also a three lane endless runner. This game has a "sprite" system of permanent and one time boosts, and a short list of cycling events that you compete with a leaderboard and with basic goal numbers to win ascending prizes of rings and XP. The challenges and completion prices for things in this game are absurd; leveling up one character or sprite takes 300,000 rings, and, with the hyperoptimized method I've developed that relies on a set of already maxed sprites, I can get 10k rings only on a very good run. Event prizes are similarly trivial for the effort involved. Maxing every character and sprite costs millions of rings; the XP system caps at level 100 and is even more absurdly unbalanced. Tangle and Whisper aren't going to come to this game.

Sonic Forces is a multiplayer racing game built off of the endless runner construct. It's absurdly complex and introduces like five additional currencies and levels and special events and leagues and unlocks and boosts and special use items...I've not touched it because it's almost entirely competitive, but my impression is that since it's competitive, there's much more emphasis on pay to progress/win. Tangle and Whisper are being promoted as coming here.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 1, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sounds like I shouldn't touch any of those games, but maybe check Dash later if/when it gets the IDW characters. Thanks for actually doing an effort post about those games, though. I think I actually played Dash 2:Boom once and didn't leave me much of an impression.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Forces was kinda fun, though it's been a couple years since I last tried it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I can confirm a weeklong event to unlock Tangle is now running in Sonic Dash 1.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 4, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm a little late, but: while I understand that the mandates are because of Penders, I think Ian Flynn has more than proven by now that he's not Penders or anything resembling Penders. Dude's an actual good writer and Sega should probably loosen the leash now that he's established that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
e: wrong thread

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 8, 2020