Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

His Divine Shadow posted:

"Chips" from a local hole in the wall place in Finland:

Þe Deliciouſ Newſ :allears:

Here is a fancy secretary bird who dgaf about your poo poo

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Lockdown's pretty much over. It's interesting walking round and seeing people flout the rules, wearing a face mask around their neck, queueing up right behind people, walking the opposite way down one-way systems, all piling in a shop or standing at the entrance etc.

My initial reaction was to be annoyed - even though I reckon I've had it, I'm not certain, and I don't want to pass it to anyone via contact - though more recently I've stopped caring, even finding it funny when someone takes their mask off to cough or seeing groups of policemen and security guards stand close together chatting. I'm not sure why I find it funny, maybe it's breaking a taboo or something, but it's much better for my brain than being hyper-aware of apathy towards the pandemic.

It's also leading me down a bit of a path of wondering how people can get along, especially in serving interests of a wider community rather than themselves, but I'm trying not to dwell too much on that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

:sludgepal: :tif: :sludgepal: :tif:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

Þe Deliciouſ Newſ :allears:

Here is a fancy secretary bird who dgaf about your poo poo

everydaysexism.png

Where's the turbo-woke campaign to rename this birb?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

everydaysexism.png

There are male secretary birds, you know. That's how it works.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

justcola posted:

Lockdown's pretty much over. It's interesting walking round and seeing people flout the rules, wearing a face mask around their neck, queueing up right behind people, walking the opposite way down one-way systems, all piling in a shop or standing at the entrance etc.

My initial reaction was to be annoyed - even though I reckon I've had it, I'm not certain, and I don't want to pass it to anyone via contact - though more recently I've stopped caring, even finding it funny when someone takes their mask off to cough or seeing groups of policemen and security guards stand close together chatting. I'm not sure why I find it funny, maybe it's breaking a taboo or something, but it's much better for my brain than being hyper-aware of apathy towards the pandemic.

It's also leading me down a bit of a path of wondering how people can get along, especially in serving interests of a wider community rather than themselves, but I'm trying not to dwell too much on that.

People can absolutely get along in service of a wider community - if they're actually given clear, high-quality guidance about HOW to do that.

The blame for this fuckup can and should be laid squarely at the feet of the people who are supposed to provide that guidance and leadership and chose to completely poo poo the bed instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

everydaysexism.png

It was originally called a secretarius, i.e. a privy councillor or court councillor, by Dutch farmers, probably because of its pompous gait and indifference towards human rights. So it's secretary like home secretary if anything.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

This happens all the time and usually doesn't go anywhere. Yes, it's good to be cautious, but I'd bet that this is only considered mainstream news-worthy because of current events. New strains of flu always have 'the potential' to become pandemics but rarely do.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Even if this new flu turns out to be a big deal, I'm surprisingly optimistic. If it had happened in a couple of years international flights would be more common than they are now, people would be less inclined to follow good hygiene practice, there'd be far fewer ppl wearing face masks in public and there wouldn't be a glut of funding going to epidemiology anymore. Thanks flu for popping up at the best possible time!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pistol_Pete posted:

RLB: "Hmm, yes, surely this time, a good faith response to bad faith attacks will draw a line under things! I'm definitely not encouraging people implacably opposed to my political existence to double down on their efforts by taking this attitude!"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/29/responsibility-actions-antisemitism-rebecca-long-bailey

Lol, still of the opinion that the labour left would be much better off going nuclear vs the leadership. I'd respect 'RLB: KEIR, gently caress OFF' far more than this pathetic garbage.

This is funny and I guess the correct rhetorical point but it's pretty clearly conflating colonialism with 'any time Britain has ever had a military conflict with a political entity now occupying all or part of x modern nation state' which irritates the pedant in me.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Still better than a loving statue at informing people about history, bet the gammons would hate it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
British journalists are stupid beyond belief

https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1277891755610968064?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Regarding lockdown being over, I notice we are now (from the 4th) allowed to meet in groups of up to 30 for major life events, the example they give is weddings.

Do birthdays that divide nicely by decades count as 'major life events'?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Regarding lockdown being over, I notice we are now (from the 4th) allowed to meet in groups of up to 30 for major life events, the example they give is weddings.

Do birthdays that divide nicely by decades count as 'major life events'?

I mean sure if you want to expose 30 of your friends to the risk of plague, go for it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't have a major life event coming up, have the gathering anyway, you stand a good chance of generating some major life events in about two to three weeks and then you will have an excuse.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Well you two aren't getting invites.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

stev posted:

It's shockingly hard to find a half decent chip shop in London. It's a really weird blind spot.

I too have found this to be true since moving to Barking. What the hell London, I have like 20 good Indian places in delivery range, a dozen Chinese, 3 or so African joints, but no chippy that isn't totally awful? We aren't that far from the sea you know.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

This map contains multiple regions that said mayonnaise and a massive swathe of Scotland that thinks cheese is a sauce. Not sure London is the biggest concern.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah, so many good kebab shops and curry houses etc but I agree good chippies seemed few and far between. For west London, in my lust for decent gluten free fish and chips, I did find hobsons just along from royal oak was pretty decent, but definitely more your fancypants gentrified kind of place rather than a proper chippy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if it's just chips, then you want cheese and gravy, if you've got donner meat then garlic mayonnaise is the only option

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cheese is a sauce if you're committted enough.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

This map contains multiple regions that said mayonnaise and a massive swathe of Scotland that thinks cheese is a sauce. Not sure London is the biggest concern.

Chips and cheese is amazing, don't be a fool

If any goons are sat bored at home right now then put your telly on to CBS Justice, channel 39 on Freeview. Watch CSI Cyber. It's art. Dawson from Dawson's Creek and Patricia Arquette talking about the dark web and password strength and it's the best worst TV I've ever seen.

Today's episode is about someone editing a printer firmware update so it sets printers on fire DARK WEB ARSON BABY

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

peanut- posted:

Cheesy chips is just chips with a big load of grated cheese (of the catering breeze block variety) dumped on top. I ate them frequently when I was a lardy lad at school :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

god I want chippy now, haven't had it in months, used to have it every week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Cheesy chips are great. So is poutine. :quebec:

forkboy84 posted:

Today's episode is about someone editing a printer firmware update so it sets printers on fire DARK WEB ARSON BABY
Someone took this a bit literally.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

forkboy84 posted:

If any goons are sat bored at home right now then put your telly on to CBS Justice, channel 39 on Freeview. Watch CSI Cyber. It's art. Dawson from Dawson's Creek and Patricia Arquette talking about the dark web and password strength and it's the best worst TV I've ever seen.

Hands up if you've actually set fire to a printer? Oh that would be me!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

The MEN is an unbelievably poo poo newspaper staffed with the most vacuous fuckwits they could find. It's full of libdems, but I repeat myself.

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
That map is an attack on the people of Dumfries and Galloway, lived here 4 decades never even heard of mayonnaise or salad cream as an option.

If any part of Scotland should be exposed as sauce weirds its Edinburgh what they call "Sauce" is an insult to the dignity of anyone who assumed the question asked was "Salt and Vinegar?" straight in the bin with that trash!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If you don't have a major life event coming up, have the gathering anyway, you stand a good chance of generating some major life events in about two to three weeks and then you will have an excuse.

A Wedding and 4 Funerals.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah, so many good kebab shops and curry houses etc but I agree good chippies seemed few and far between. For west London, in my lust for decent gluten free fish and chips, I did find hobsons just along from royal oak was pretty decent, but definitely more your fancypants gentrified kind of place rather than a proper chippy.

my go to is Trawlerman in islington but it's a similar deal in that it's a posh sanitised experience. the best old school chippy is Fryers Delight near holborn. Stained yellow formica tables that haven't been changed since the 70s, prices on a blackboard, ancient gnarled pies in the hotbox and all

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Cheesy chips are great. So is poutine. :quebec:

Someone took this a bit literally.

There's just been a character explain l33t speak. This poo poo is perfection

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've got two chippies close to me, one is apparently shut and the other is a George's that only does click and collect online or through phone now. I've been able to get my fix but I'm pretty loving lucky.

Cheesy chips is amazing, I remember the friday before I started my job I was drunk and freaking out and someone shoved some in my hand and ten minutes later I was alright.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I also like the 'no response measured' areas, which means either they couldn't find any chippies, or when they asked people what sauce they liked they recieved only a baleful glare and dark mutterings about the audacity of putting sauce on chips.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
More likely the entire survey was about 30 people, with no responses at all from some areas.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I also like the 'no response measured' areas, which means either they couldn't find any chippies, or when they asked people what sauce they liked they recieved only a baleful glare and dark mutterings about the audacity of putting sauce on chips.

That sounds about right for Down yeah

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Boris Johnson promising a new era of investment right now.

The Guardian commentators are all jeering at him but I honestly think his words will cut through to the average voter far more than all of Starmer's fence-sitting forensic sensibleness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

More likely the entire survey was about 30 people, with no responses at all from some areas.

It says on the image it was done on reddit from 670 responses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just had a panic attack, the Awful app wouldn't post.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Puntification posted:

The MEN is an unbelievably poo poo newspaper staffed with the most vacuous fuckwits they could find. It's full of libdems, but I repeat myself.

this is the journalist who was slating people on twitter for questioning the government herd immunity plan. ayesha hazarika is the person responsible for the Controls on Immigration mug and possible the Ed Stone and now works for Times Radio

https://twitter.com/jackseale/status/1248912012098314240?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Just had a panic attack, the Awful app wouldn't post.

i got it on my desktop too