Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

veni veni veni posted:

That's what people keep saying but I read a decent chunk of the drama as it was unfolding, and while I did not read all of it I'd like to hear who was "telling on themselves". It's very possible I missed some pretty bad poo poo that caused it got to be so heated, so I'm not being sarcastic there. it was like thousands of comments and I only noticed it half way through and I wasn't going to read every single one.

From what I read though, which was a lot.

1.Mike makes lukewarm centrist lib comment on Twitter. Part of the community goes absolutely nuclear and wants to see his head on a stick. Anyone who doesn't agree that Mike should be crucified over it gets hit with some of the most toxic bullshit internet bullying I've seen in a while. just an onslaught of "die pigfucker trash" type comments to anyone who doesn't jump on the hate bandwagon.

2. Mod briefly locks thread until Mike can comment on it and reopens. Apparently this is silencing people and Fred is a hero for making some Doxx post about his small dick or something. I don't know or care about who this mod is. Fred is one of the worst kinds of people on the internet.

3. There are plenty of people who seemed do disagree with Mike who also just accepted that Mike saying something dumb isn't the end of the world. These were mostly drowned out of the conversation or just lumped in as a "bad guy"

I don't agree with Mike's take at all, and I think he made a dumb choice by doubling down on his trollish tendencies in this scenario. But when a bunch of people immediately go into full on cancel mode when someone has an opinion they don't like, I kind of can't blame him for just telling everyone to piss off either.

If thinking that the "disagreeing with me is violence/I will ruin your life" crowd sucks is "telling on myself", so be it. People who's entire socialization has come via toxic slapfights and name calling on twitter demand respect, but haven't earned it at all because they treat people like poo poo.

Oh this is exactly what happened but blaming any side of it on Steven Universe fans is is extremely :confused:

Plenty of the people on the side you’re dismissing are mega longtime FOT’s who go back to the old FOT boards at a minimum.

Basically, this has always been the community of best show fans, and if they’ve changed its because the world changed and it has nothing to do with the fact that Tom was on a children’s television show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm mostly referring to a few bad actors who were getting insanely toxic and before I even clicked on their profiles, I knew what crowd they were from. it's probably unfair to just project that on the SU crowd because it was certainly more of an all around thing where people in general were just being really lovely to each other.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is this a bad place to express my love for "Double Threat?" Tom and Julie are great together. I've been picking at random eps but I just need to dive in and listen in order. Plus, I appreciate any references to Imus and Curtis Sliwa. It just hits a spot for me. And it flows really well for two people on different coasts. I don't know what their set up is but I'm fairly sick of Zoom confusion at this point.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

And it flows really well for two people on different coasts.

I was thinking the same thing! It has the same energy as when Julie guests in-studio. I really like it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Double Threat is great, but I already don't know if any moment is going to top their first attempt at the Podcast Co-Host Newlywed Game. Tom's answer to "Who would play you in the movie of your life?" ("Danny DeVito, 30 years from now") made Julie realize that her earnest answers were going to be no match for Tom's and she demanded they put it off until the next episode, while she laughed uncontrollably for about 5 minutes.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I probably laughed way too hard at Julie's pitch to remake Little Shop of Horrors, but Audrey II feeds on Harvey Weinstein's cum. It was so much funnier due to Tom's absolute silence during the whole bit.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Tom and Julie have some of the best chemistry in the biz. Double Threat is a real joy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Still thinking about the "I like/to flaunt/my dinners" "rap"

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Thank you so much for bringing it up, Double Threat is amazing

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I have court to go to.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I have court to go to.

I mean, people LOVED when he announced the Lil' Wayne album release, why is this any different

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

David Rees (the artisanal pencil sharpener weirdo) was on Doughboys this week, and it reminded me of his Best Show appearance where Nathan Fielder laughed at all of his awful medical afflictions. So goddamn mean and hilarious. Gotta queue that one up sometime soon.

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Double Threat has been a great smaller thing to get by with while we wait for the best show to come back. I wish they were still doing So Far, I was enjoying that immensely.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Brief Patreon update today:

Tom posted:

Best Show Update 7-5-20
Hey, it's Tom. Thanks for all the kind words over the Best Show hiatus. I appreciate all of the positive feedback and love. I'm still figuring things out; I'm dealing with a lot of personal stuff as well as trying to finish the book I've been working on, all the while dealing with the world being turned upside down.

A copule things: as I stated all of the money that comes in through the Patreon is going to charity. I am covering monthly costs, but trust me - I'm not making a cent off the show until the Best Show is back. All the money goes to charity til we are back.

Here are the charities the money was given to throughout the month of June:

ACT BLUE https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ab_mn

TAKE ACTION MINNESOTA https://takeactionminnesota.org

SUPPORT MINNEAPOLIS SANCTUARY HOTEL

https://www.gofundme.com/f/sanctuar...ontent=internal

RAINN https://www.rainn.org

GLITS. https://www.glitsinc.org/about

COMMUNITY FOOD BANK OF NJ https://cfbnj.org

The show will return. Not sure when but it will. Nothing gets in the way of me and The Best Show, baby! Thanks for your patience and understanding.

If any of this doesn't work for you, drop me a line. I'm overwhelmed with personal stuff but I want to try to make it right for everyone. And if you want to leave or take your money somewhere else, please do! No hard feelings ever. We all gotta do what we gotta do to stay alive right now and to do the same for others.

Tom

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

It’s been obvious for a while that Tom and his wife split up. That’s tough, then you add on covid and then the Mike thing. I’m grateful we have double threat in the meantime.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
drat. Fred from Honolulu strikes again!

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It’s been obvious for a while that Tom and his wife split up. That’s tough, then you add on covid and then the Mike thing. I’m grateful we have double threat in the meantime.

Ya I suspected as much once his time in LA seemed to be open-ended. That's a heartbreaker.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya I suspected as much once his time in LA seemed to be open-ended. That's a heartbreaker.

I just assumed he was staying there indefinitely because of his work and covid making it impossible to travel. I mean he stayed in Toronto for a while, right? Never really assumed it was because he and Terre T split

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Dr.Radical posted:

I just assumed he was staying there indefinitely because of his work and covid making it impossible to travel. I mean he stayed in Toronto for a while, right? Never really assumed it was because he and Terre T split
What was he working on, that basketball show that got cancelled? But he didn't mention Terre or Good n Poochy a lot anymore...guess I just assumed.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I’m not sure what he was working on. It used to be that he never mentioned his wife and then after the WFMU show ended, he broke kayfabe sometimes to talk about stuff in his life. But yeah, now that you mention it, he did always talk about his dog a lot. Maybe that was just because they had adopted her recently and it was still an exciting thing for him?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

He works on What We Do In the Shadows as producer and occasional writer.

I have long family car rides coming up with young children: how much cussing is in Double Threat?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Asnorban posted:

I have long family car rides coming up with young children: how much cussing is in Double Threat?

Tom gets a little blue but Julie is a total pottymouth, not kid friendly.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Asnorban posted:

Last ep with Anthony Atamanuik was pretty kid friendly.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

JethroMcB posted:

Tom gets a little blue but Julie is a total pottymouth, not kid friendly.

More or less than mbmbam?

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
The last episode is a long, graphically detailed discussion and improvisation about the crimes of Jeffrey Epstein and his associates

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Asnorban posted:

I think that was only season one. He wasn't in the credits as a producer or writer this year.

Also - notice that he hasn't had any stories about having to travel to Toronto for shooting since that first season.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ManoliIsFat posted:

What was he working on, that basketball show that got cancelled? But he didn't mention Terre or Good n Poochy a lot anymore...guess I just assumed.

Wait, was that the Steph Curry show Sean Clements was writing for?

Asnorban posted:

More or less than mbmbam?

Language-wise, maybe the same/slightly more, but content-wise, different story. I was going to say "Just avoid any episode where they talk about Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey or Woody Allen" and then realized that those kinds of guys and their antics come up basically every episode, even when they aren't necessarily the focus.

How do you feel about the kids hearing about Weinstein overseeing a reboot of Little Shop of Horrors where Seymour feeds Audrey II by jerking off?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MBMBaM is way more kid-friendly than Double Threat.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

MBMBaM is way more kid-friendly than Double Threat.

Kids gotta learn about 50 load weekends somehow.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

That all sounds very good, and very much not kid friendly. Thanks.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Wait, was that the Steph Curry show Sean Clements was writing for?
Ya, I have no direct knowledge of that. Just seemed a natural fit for Tom. Just a guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel pretty naive that it didn't even cross my mind that tom probably split with Terre T. I did think "wow that a lot of traveling he's been doing for someone who is married", because I don't think he's been in Jersey for more than a few months over the last 2 years. Although her twitter pic is still her kissing him so who knows. it's not like he ever talked about her or his personal life much to begin with so it's anyones guess.

Re: Double Threat. Yeah it's great and I' glad we have it in the interim although I need the real Best Show too.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 8, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was getting a little tired with the quarantine best show. I think they did as much with that format as they could do.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel pretty naive that it didn't even cross my mind that tom probably split with Terre T. I did think "wow that a lot of traveling he's been doing for someone who is married", because I don't think he's been in Jersey for more than a few months over the last 2 years. Although her twitter pic is still her kissing him so who knows. it's not like he ever talked about her or his personal life much to begin with so it's anyones guess.

Re: Double Threat. Yeah it's great and I' glad we have it in the interim although I need the real Best Show too.

I’m not trying to start rumors or anything, just reading between the lines having gone through it myself. Her Twitter hasn’t been active in over a year and one of her last Instagram posts from the fall said she had been off of social media “for reasons both painful and happy.”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't get me wrong. It does seem likely. It's just really hard to tell with someone who talks about his personal life so little.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Double Threat is hilarious but man, it also is the best sounding quarantine podcast I've heard. If I didn't know otherwise I would swear tom and julie were in the same room

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Haven't listened yet, but:

https://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/1285227332534403072?s=20

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't listen to Maron much these days but I listened, and it was nice. Just two friends shooting the poo poo for a while. Marc says that he and Tom have dinner in his backyard a few times a week these days.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's crazy to think that years ago before he knew him, Tom used to sort of smack talk Maron and now they are BFFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolamenteDoug
Mar 26, 2017

I think he used to call him Mort Moran or something like that