Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

What are people's thoughts now that all the new cards have been revealed?

I absolutely cannot wait to play a Wild Hunt deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
I’m not sure tbh. This is my first expansion and the art looks amazing but I’ve only been playing for a couple months so I’m still learning strategies and concepts by watching the Gwent open tournaments. For awhile I was just getting the feel for the game and growing my collection but now the concepts of red/blue coin are becoming clearer. Doesn’t seem like this thread is active all that much sadly.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Ya know what, gently caress it, I’m going to last minute preorder.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Life's short, and money ain't worth a thing unless you spend it.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh wait the expansion will cost? I was thinking it was just an update.

Well poo poo I guess I have to spend money for the first time on this 😕

Edit: oh it is free. Pre order is the head start card bundle

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 30, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Patch notes are up today. Weather is going to be a biiiiitch going forward

RNR no longer lasts forever 🥳🥳🥳

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

the_american_dream posted:

Edit: oh it is free. Pre order is the head start card bundle

Head start bundle and a unique avatar and card back, if you're into that kind of thing.

Rag na Roog is an interesting change. When I read it I misread it and thought it damaged three units, so it was like rain and a half but if your opponent only had one or two units on the row it wouldn't get full value. But it's actually guaranteed three damage and each of the three pings hits a random unit, so if they've only got one thing you're going to do three damage to it.

I'm 100% making a monster weather deck 12 hours from now. Now I just have to decide between playing with devotion or squeezing in Avalach and Rag na roog.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
I just want those juicy premiums

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
You know I gotta represent the monsters, who doesn't want to play a bunch of weather cards I mean come on.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Love that harmony isn’t autopilot as much anymore

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I guess the expansion is popular, because CDPR's servers are straight hosed. They shut down Arena and the store until further notice.

I just want to open my kegs. :(

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Since I can't open my kegs, I've been dicking around with the new Seasonal mode instead. Still haven't decided which faction is going to be optimal. The Seasonal effect actually changes your units' base power, rather than adding boosts or damage, so that has some interesting effects (e.g. Yrden isn't a guaranteed win, and Hunger + Detlaff is an even nastier MO finisher...).

Some cards that seem really good so far:

- Dandelion: Poet is obscene, of course. Basically a solo version of the Viv-Dandelion combo.

- Roach and Knickers are ridiculous, as are the Witcher trio.

- Pretty much any high-provision gold with low power and a powerful effect is now a high-power unit with a powerful effect, so that gets pretty crazy. Igni, Geralt, Cleaver, NR Philippa, Anseis, Crowmother...all ridiculously powerful in this mode. Honestly the hard part is deciding which ones to include; there are so many good choices.

- On the low-provision end, the key is picking low-power units with a decent effect, as they now become normal-power units with a decent effect.

Obviously, spies are right out, and Seize effects aren't great as there aren't a lot of units small enough to seize, so NG might not be the best option this season. Similarly, cards and effects that spawn units will spawn a normal base unit, not a big one, so those aren't really as efficient (unless the spawning unit itself is big enough to make it worthwhile; e.g. Adalia ain't so bad with an 11-point body).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
For what it’s worth I’m at 80% win rate in seasonal with monsters. Thrive with trisscerate and syanna with the geralts (of rivia and professional) has been dominant

That new master mirror loading screen is creepy as poo poo. Well done cdpr

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 30, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Also all my losses are to NR so maybe try them!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
3rd post in a row but I was wondering why skellige wasn’t dominant but it turns out I hadn’t ran into a good one yet. Cerys + ESL + crowmother with lippy is quite difficult to overcome.

I’m just passing on SK matchups now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ceres Lippy in the current seasonal mode is kinda insane. All those thinning cards It relies on are normally balanced by having their power be so low for their provision cost, but that goes right out the window with the season.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yeah, liking my modified Lippy deck so far. Lippy alone is now a 28-point play with Mork and Roach (37 whenever Knickers decides to join the party), plus an 11-point Cerys, plus a 10-point Crowmother. Throw in a few more high-provision low-power units like Geralt and Skjordal and it's a powerhouse.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

For what it’s worth I’m at 80% win rate in seasonal with monsters.

Are you running Ozzy? The math of that card just occurred to me.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Ozzy is also huge, especially with so many big targets to consume that graveyard hate isn't a concern. Ozzy and Detlaff + Hunger make for a massive two-card finisher in a Monsters deck, and a good Thrive package can work wonders as well with all the big boys you'll be putting down.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Was running Ozzie indeed and Liggins neutralized lippy decently

Which reminds me how annoying it is there aren’t many banish options. The one cheap one with NG isn’t even available anymore and Frost Queen just adds to carry over units

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Was running Ozzie indeed and Liggins neutralized lippy decently

Which reminds me how annoying it is there aren’t many banish options. The one cheap one with NG isn’t even available anymore and Frost Queen just adds to carry over units

Deithwen Arbalest was replaced by the humble neutral Squirrel. It can't banish units in your own graveyard, though, only your opponent's, so you'll have to stick with Xavier for your epic Ciri: Nova meme deck...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I spoke out of my rear end before seeing squirrel. As of now everyone is playing with the new toys anyway so not much lippy in ranked. Monsters are strong asf and I’m a full on FROSTBOY

Auberon is an absolute minimum 13 point play. Him with Ozzie is a killer finisher.

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 1, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So skellige is crazy strong and I’m on the cusp of pro running them

Currently on level 1

Me! this idiot! Who learned just yesterday my 50k accumulation of ore can be used for barrels and learned such advanced strategies since posting in this thread as, looking at my deck before mulliganing a billion times and you probably should use valuable cards for valuable target trades :downs:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Greatswords/Dagur is the perfect counter to the swarm meta, so SK is pretty strong right now against people trying to make Symbiosis and Firesworn work. I probably should stop dicking around in Seasonal and rank up a bit, but eh... :effort:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
My deck actually uses one GS and no dagur. Rupture is stupid strong and with harald/second wind you have multiple chances to get your GS out of the graveyard

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Kneel before the might of my garbage meme deck!

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/guides/114439

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I am going to play with it 😬

SC is hopelessly weak. That faction got really screwed

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
This spy deck has been pretty fun. Turns out people hate it when you invo Joachim their leaders 🤷🏾‍♂️

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/68cce986d83b343699620805f23807ae

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Invo is an interesting and fun card when I play Nilfgaard. It's unbalanced bullshit when my opponent plays Nilfgaard.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

SC is hopelessly weak. That faction got really screwed

Tell that to the Dagur Greatswords guy I just beat with a ridiculous ST trap artifact spam deck built solely for cheesing daily artifact quests... :v:

Edit: I forgot to record the drat game, but I won on even in R1 despite going first with a Mahakam Horn bamboozle, then bluffed his Second Wind out of him by playing one card into R2, then used a combination of Sihil, Tainted Ale, and Guerrilla Tactics to control R3 without playing any units (except a Longship I stole from him via Hen Gaidth Sword, which he killed pretty quick anyway). He apparently saw where things were going, so he then played his Wild Boar on my empty board...right into my Pitfall Trap, which (along with a coup de grace from Sihil) wiped out his entire board as well. Even had a Black Blood sitting there waiting for Dagur, but it didn't end up going off because I had no units to wound by the time he hit the board. Finished things off with a Crushing Trap and then dropped my sole lovely Hawker Support on last say before it went off and knocked his last remaining unit, a three-point Mork, down to one, giving me a crushing 3-1 victory.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 3, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

i'm just getting back into this after some time to try these old and new games in qurantine. its changed a lot! I used to really like the monsters faction, and the new decks are neat but also relearning all the mechanics.

Fun facts I've picked up!
Dominance isn't highest score, its strongest monster!
Portal is a funky and interesting card.
Bleed seems to be stupid strong, and decks that spam it make massive leads over a few turns. What can you do about it?
The giant toad monster can consume OTHER PLAYERS monsters. Totally missed that until I got snacked on.
4 provisions is the lowest cost any meaningful card has! Didn't realize that until I had to put one more card in to go from 24 to 25.

I sort of want to try a syndicate deck! The firesworn and spies seem both interesting.

Are there any strongly recommended stratagems or easy-pick cards to get? I have a boatload of scrap apparently, like 31k from the before times.

The seasonal mode seems funky! The 'spam from your deck' wither trio is really good in it, lol. I didn't realize the implications that provisions = strength meant until all three of them and roach came out at once. Geralt being high strengh again is also a huuuge swing, and its sort of ridiculous too.

Any medium/intermediate tips or things I should pay attention to? I want to see about making my mostly-starter monster deck better! But I should also try other factions at some point and branch out to trying other abilities. My current 'i feel this is pleb tier combo but i sort of love it' is carapace and a wild hunt hound. It gets beefy fast, and while it sucks when it gets geralted, its also sort of there for that.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 3, 2020

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
- Dominance, as you said, refers to having the strongest unit on the board, or a unit *tied* for the strongest unit (important to remember that second bit when doing calculations).

- Portal is a fairly niche card, really. It requires a deck to be designed especially for it, as many of the good 4p cards have deploy effects; you don't want to be running any of those in a deck where you're running Portal, as it will have a good chance of bricking a couple of your bronzes and you'll get very little value from it. It also leaves an artifact sitting in the middle of your row and taking up a space, which isn't great when you really want to pack a row with units for cards like Draug or Great Oak for maximum value.

- Bleeding is a pretty decent effect for a Vampire-focused MO deck (usually running Orianna for a late-R3 finisher in combination with the Blood Scent leader ability). It's not top tier, but it can be competitive, especially in the lower ranks. As for defending against it, Purify removes bleeds, if you run a faction with easy access to that (e.g. with Gremist for Skellige), and Vitality will cancel them out (each point of Vitality removes a point of Bleeding until it's all gone, then starts adding Vitality afterwards). If you're playing Monsters, consuming the bleeding card also works, or wounding/killing a bleeding unit in a self-wounding Skellige deck to reduce the total value they get from the bleed. Another option is simply to overpower the bleeds; most units that inflict bleeding are somewhat low tempo themselves, so you may be able to out-tempo them with a few big plays.

- Yep, Toad Prince can consume *any* unit, yours or your opponent's. Because of the low power limit, though, it's not necessarily the best value for the provisions (9 points and one removal for 8 provisions at best, and it's easy to get stuck without a target against some decks). You need to read wording carefully in Gwent, as interactions can get fairly complex (and there's still a lot of confusing and sometimes inconsistent wording in the game overall). If a card says "a unit" or "X units" or "any unit", that generally means it can target any unit on either side of the board (well, any unit which also matches any other given conditions for the effect, like Toad Prince's "with 3 or less power"). If it says "an *allied* unit", that means it can only target units on your side of the board. "An enemy unit" means it can only target units on the enemy side of the board. Very important to pay attention to that, as it can make a big difference sometimes.

- 4p is the smallest provision cost, yep. Very important to remember for deck-building.

- Syndicate is a faction I haven't played much with, but it can get pretty complex, what with the coins and all. Remains to be seen where the newly buffed Firesworn archetype will shake out in the current meta, though. Syndicate doesn't have spies, though; spies are a Nilfgaard thing primarily, and while the Spy archetype did get some love in the recent expansion, it doesn't quite have the oomph to carry a deck entirely on its own; it works best combined with other NG archetypes like Soldiers or Masquerade Ball (the latter is particularly nice, since your Spies will boost your Thirsty Dames as well, but everyone will hate you for playing Ball...)

- Crafting depends entirely on what decks you want to play, though there are some cards that work in multiple decks (and even some neutrals that are good across multiple factions, like Onieromancy, Matta, or Roach/Knickers). Team Leviathan Gaming has a crafting guide, but it hasn't been updated for the most recent expansion. Most of their picks are still solid enough cards, though. Best bet is to wait until their meta report has been updated for Master Mirror and then have a look at the decks there and see what seems interesting to you, then start working towards that. 31k scraps isn't enough to craft every card, but you could likely get at least three or four proper meta decks out of that, more if you have enough ore to buy some kegs and get lucky.

- This seasonal is definitely interesting. As you said, the Witcher trio is a solid include, as is Roach and Knickers. Basically, any card which is high provision and low power because of a powerful effect is going to be great in this mode. Geralt of Rivia and Geralt: Igni are pretty much auto-includes, as are Roach and/or Knickers if you can possibly fit them. I've been running this modified Lippy + Cerys deck, and it dominates almost every game, though I did get bamboozled by an NG player running double Fortune Tellers once (which can give any unit the Doomed tag; very bad news for a Lippy deck!). Monsters also has a sweet finisher with the Overwhelming Hunger leader ability and Dettlaff: Higher Vampire, who is 10 power in this mode.

- Carapace isn't the best Monsters leader ability, but if you're still getting by with a mostly-default starter deck, it's not bad for protecting a couple of engines and valuable cards. In general, it's preferable to have a leader ability that gives you a lot of extra power in the third round, as that's really the only round that matters, and Carapace just doesn't provide much value in that way. The best leader abilities enable you to generate a ton of value in a single turn via combos, as you can use them as last say to prevent the value you put on the board with them from being countered by your opponent. For instance, the aforementioned Dettlaff combo is a good one even in normal mode, as you can play Detlaff and Hunger him 3 times to put 21 points on the board in one turn (or just Hunger him twice and eat some other Deathwish unit for the third proc for even more value). Those abilities often do need to be combined with certain cards, often expensive golds, to fully realize their value, though, so an ability like Carapace which provides more inherent value on its own can sometimes be a bit better with a true starter deck, until you've crafted the necessary cards to pull off one of the high-end leader combos.

SK has one of the best leader abilities in the game right now with Second Wind, which lets you play any Skellige unit from your graveyard; there are a couple big finishers that take advantage of that. In a Greatswords/Dagur deck, you play Dagur, then resurrect Wild Boar with your leader ability (or vice versa, res Dagur and then play Boar from hand) to dish out a ton of damage and instantly boost him. There's also a combo which allows you to trigger the Gedyneith Scenario in a single turn if you have Ermion and a bronze Druid in the graveyard: you play Gedy, then rez Ermion with Second Wind (he's a Druid, so he procs the Scenario), then use him to play Freya's Blessing on your bronze druid, which triggers the second Gedy proc. That plays three Alchemy cards, all of which boost the Crow Clan Preacher that Gedy spawns, plus you get a few crows on the board and a +6 boost to some unit with Mardrome, plus whatever value your bronze druid provided, plus a couple points from Ermion. If you had another Preacher (or rezzed one), that adds a ton more value due to the Bonded ability and the extra card getting boosts.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 3, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the detail! a lot!
I'm gonna snip some things for things i want to respond to:

dennyk posted:

- Portal is a fairly niche card, really.

- Yep, Toad Prince can consume *any* unit, yours or your opponent's. Because of the low power limit, though, it's not necessarily the best value for the provisions (9 points and one removal for 8 provisions at best, and it's easy to get stuck without a target against some decks). You need to read wording carefully in Gwent, as interactions can get fairly complex (and there's still a lot of confusing and sometimes inconsistent wording in the game overall). If a card says "a unit" or "X units" or "any unit", that generally means it can target any unit on either side of the board (well, any unit which also matches any other given conditions for the effect, like Toad Prince's "with 3 or less power"). If it says "an *allied* unit", that means it can only target units on your side of the board. "An enemy unit" means it can only target units on the enemy side of the board. Very important to pay attention to that, as it can make a big difference sometimes.

- 4p is the smallest provision cost, yep. Very important to remember for deck-building.

- Syndicate is a faction I haven't played much with, but it can get pretty complex, what with the coins and all. Remains to be seen where the newly buffed Firesworn archetype will shake out in the current meta, though. Syndicate doesn't have spies, though; spies are a Nilfgaard thing primarily, and while the Spy archetype did get some love in the recent expansion, it doesn't quite have the oomph to carry a deck entirely on its own; it works best combined with other NG archetypes like Soldiers or Masquerade Ball (the latter is particularly nice, since your Spies will boost your Thirsty Dames as well, but everyone will hate you for playing Ball...)

- Crafting depends entirely on what decks you want to play, though there are some cards that work in multiple decks (and even some neutrals that are good across multiple factions, like Onieromancy, Matta, or Roach/Knickers). Team Leviathan Gaming has a crafting guide, but it hasn't been updated for the most recent expansion. Most of their picks are still solid enough cards, though. Best bet is to wait until their meta report has been updated for Master Mirror and then have a look at the decks there and see what seems interesting to you, then start working towards that. 31k scraps isn't enough to craft every card, but you could likely get at least three or four proper meta decks out of that, more if you have enough ore to buy some kegs and get lucky.

- This seasonal is definitely interesting. As you said, the Witcher trio is a solid include, as is Roach and Knickers. Basically, any card which is high provision and low power because of a powerful effect is going to be great in this mode. Geralt of Rivia and Geralt: Igni are pretty much auto-includes, as are Roach and/or Knickers if you can possibly fit them. I've been running this modified Lippy + Cerys deck, and it dominates almost every game, though I did get bamboozled by an NG player running double Fortune Tellers once (which can give any unit the Doomed tag; very bad news for a Lippy deck!). Monsters also has a sweet finisher with the Overwhelming Hunger leader ability and Dettlaff: Higher Vampire, who is 10 power in this mode.

- Carapace isn't the best Monsters leader ability, but if you're still getting by with a mostly-default starter deck, it's not bad for protecting a couple of engines and valuable cards. In general, it's preferable to have a leader ability that gives you a lot of extra power in the third round, as that's really the only round that matters, and Carapace just doesn't provide much value in that way. The best leader abilities enable you to generate a ton of value in a single turn via combos, as you can use them as last say to prevent the value you put on the board with them from being countered by your opponent. For instance, the aforementioned Dettlaff combo is a good one even in normal mode, as you can play Detlaff and Hunger him 3 times to put 21 points on the board in one turn (or just Hunger him twice and eat some other Deathwish unit for the third proc for even more value). Those abilities often do need to be combined with certain cards, often expensive golds, to fully realize their value, though, so an ability like Carapace which provides more inherent value on its own can sometimes be a bit better with a true starter deck, until you've crafted the necessary cards to pull off one of the high-end leader combos.

SK has one of the best leader abilities in the game right now with Second Wind, which lets you play any Skellige unit from your graveyard; there are a couple big finishers that take advantage of that. In a Greatswords/Dagur deck, you play Dagur, then resurrect Wild Boar with your leader ability (or vice versa, res Dagur and then play Boar from hand) to dish out a ton of damage and instantly boost him. There's also a combo which allows you to trigger the Gedyneith Scenario in a single turn if you have Ermion and a bronze Druid in the graveyard: you play Gedy, then rez Ermion with Second Wind (he's a Druid, so he procs the Scenario), then use him to play Freya's Blessing on your bronze druid, which triggers the second Gedy proc. That plays three Alchemy cards, all of which boost the Crow Clan Preacher that Gedy spawns, plus you get a few crows on the board and a +6 boost to some unit with Mardrome, plus whatever value your bronze druid provided, plus a couple points from Ermion. If you had another Preacher (or rezzed one), that adds a ton more value due to the Bonded ability and the extra card getting boosts.

I've got good luck with Portal using Monsters! There's this 4 provision 7 strength elf guy with veil that kills him if you're not devoted, Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut the portal doesn't care about that. Noonwraiths too. For my middle-lowbie deck, I'm getting great mileage out of it. Right now, portal for me is a 13 point play with 1 noonwraith and the elf guy which is actually really lovely.

After someone used it on me, I've learned Glustyworp is a thing, and I think portal-> noonwraithx2 -> consume somehow ? -> glustyworp has pretty significant meric for cheap, and I should try it out. I just keep shying away from spamming 800 scrap cost cards though.

I also noticed Offering can kill your own monsters, but I'm not sure how to make use of that card yet. Still, something i noticed. Are there any other noteworthy 'any unit' cards like that?

Someone in seasonal ranked got me real good with a monsters/frost deck with the elf witch that pops out if everything's frozen like a pointy eared roach. Double rows on frost is really mean, actually.

Next time I log in I'll check my ore stockpiles n suchlike. I've been opening kegs as I get them, though. The reward book is a neat concept, but I think it'll take forever to unlock. Does it ever expire/run out, or is it strictly an 'add new stuff, old pages stay when the season expires?' sort of deal?

And sorry. I meant Blindeyes, which seemed to be the gossip/spy THEMED syndicate/gang, not the actual MECHANIC. I tried the arena mode and pulled a sly seductress and the scenario, and they reminded me of the wild hunt frost hounds, only better/more interesting.
As far as I can tell about the syndicates the Coin mechanic is a non issue. There's a stratagem(is this always a play first consolation prize? in return for another card spent effectively?) and leader powers and most of the things you're playing anyway or that seem good give enough coins you have at least a medium tier amount of spending money. Hidden cache(power,not card) in particular seems great.
It just reminds me of shoving Dominion (coins, trigger when played effects, etc) into Gwent. So, familair enough it isn't stupidly more complex than gwent already is. Oh! Witch hunters seem great too. Like witchers, but orange and a little toothier than the neutral ones.

Is Devotion really worth building around? Neutral cards, particularly gold card tutors seem almost too great to not use.

What does Knickers do/how does it work?

I've missed some of the old cards/old starter decks. Royal decree and Decoy had me goign 'oh hey i used to have those'. Decoy in particular I think I'm going to make a copy of, because it seems extra hilarious to shove Roach back into the deck if you pull a losing round.

How is the Ciri that draws you a card after 5 turns? Does her power work twice if you go to a full 10 cards in one go? I thought about picking her up because there's been a few times I've wished I had one more card to get me through a a round.

I hadn't thought about the powers like that! Right now I'm using the frost hounds and the legendary one that works the same way (aparian phantom?) until it bites something; I've definitely seen rounds where I get two down and they just grow for 7-8 turns, and while carapace may be weak, i'm getting surprisingly good mileage, but also feeling the point where i'm losing by like 1-5 points a round and should start exploring slightly better cards.
The provision mechanic's really well thought out. I like how there's slightly better versions of things for +1 provisions (golden froth vs armory, for example). I was thinking golden froth was nice with vesamir and company, until I realized it was only six points that works if you have 3 people, and like the lightning card exists.

Is the not asleep Old Speartip wort the scrap?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

TheParadigm posted:

I've got good luck with Portal using Monsters! There's this 4 provision 7 strength elf guy with veil that kills him if you're not devoted, Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut the portal doesn't care about that. Noonwraiths too. For my middle-lowbie deck, I'm getting great mileage out of it. Right now, portal for me is a 13 point play with 1 noonwraith and the elf guy which is actually really lovely.

Yep, sounds like you've got a good deck design to take advantage of Portal. Summoning units with a detrimental Deploy ability is a good tactic that you'll see in a few decks; in SK decks, you can use Sigrdrifa's Rite to summon a 12-point Jutta from the graveyard so that her "damage self by 6 if she's the highest unit on the board" effect doesn't trigger. In Monster decks, you can use Penitent (a 2-point Thrive unit with a deathwish that summons a random 7-provision unit from your deck) to summon Pugo Boom-Breaker and avoid his damage effect.

TheParadigm posted:

After someone used it on me, I've learned Glustyworp is a thing, and I think portal-> noonwraithx2 -> consume somehow ? -> glustyworp has pretty significant meric for cheap, and I should try it out. I just keep shying away from spamming 800 scrap cost cards though.

Glusty is a decent card; he works best in Arachas Swarm decks or in Rat decks where you can put a lot of 1-strength units on the board, especially if you can put them on your opponent's board (as then you get +3 for each one destroyed instead of just +1). One common strategy with the rat-based decks is to spawn so many rats on your opponent's side in a longer R3 that he can't play any more units, then you drop your huge Glusty as your last play to eat 'em all.

TheParadigm posted:

I also noticed Offering can kill your own monsters, but I'm not sure how to make use of that card yet. Still, something i noticed. Are there any other noteworthy 'any unit' cards like that?

Yep, Offering is a good example; you can kill something on your side that's worthless, like a drone or a new Gernichora's Fruit (from the Fruits of Ysgith leader ability) or some non-engine unit that's been damaged down to 1 point, and get a valuable bronze from your graveyard in exchange.

In NR Draug decks, one common strategy is to run Ronvid the Incessant, a 1-point Soldier who gets summoned from the graveyard whenever you play another Soldier. He makes a handy target for your Spectres (which have an order that deals one damage to any unit, and on a Deathblow spawns another Spectre in their row). So you can pop Ronvid with a Spectre's Order, which spawns a new 3-point Spectre (with the same Order ability), and then bring him back by playing some other Soldier next turn (and pop him again, if it makes sense to do so, and repeat...).

Purify is another effect which you sometimes want to use offensively instead of defensively, as it can remove the Defender status from a Defender unit. Some Purify cards in the game can only target allied units (e.g. Crow's Eye, Dryad's Caress, Vrihedd Sappers if you don't control another elf) and so can't be used to disable a Defender. (And of course there's Coodcoodak, who can only purify adjacent units instead of a targeted unit at all, because NR doesn't deserve nice things...) Conversely, Feast of Blood can only Purify *enemy* units, so you can't use it to Purify your own poisoned or locked unit.

TheParadigm posted:

Someone in seasonal ranked got me real good with a monsters/frost deck with the elf witch that pops out if everything's frozen like a pointy eared roach. Double rows on frost is really mean, actually.

Heh, yep, Winter Queen, like most of the auto-summon cards, is particularly effective in Seasonal. Frost can be tricky as well, especially when Eredin hits the board with Dominance and it's dealing 3 damage per row per turn. It's sometimes best to rowstack against Monsters if you think they're going heavy on the Frost.

TheParadigm posted:

Next time I log in I'll check my ore stockpiles n suchlike. I've been opening kegs as I get them, though. The reward book is a neat concept, but I think it'll take forever to unlock. Does it ever expire/run out, or is it strictly an 'add new stuff, old pages stay when the season expires?' sort of deal?

Most of the trees in the Reward Book are permanent, but each season (once per month), there are three new trees added and the three seasonal trees from the previous season are removed. Those are the trees found in the centre of the main reward book page. If you want any of the trinkets from those trees, you should focus on them, as they will disappear, but the rest of the trees and pages will remain for good and can be done at any time (unless CDPR revamps the whole system someday, of course, but that seems unlikely...)

TheParadigm posted:

And sorry. I meant Blindeyes, which seemed to be the gossip/spy THEMED syndicate/gang, not the actual MECHANIC. I tried the arena mode and pulled a sly seductress and the scenario, and they reminded me of the wild hunt frost hounds, only better/more interesting.
As far as I can tell about the syndicates the Coin mechanic is a non issue. There's a stratagem(is this always a play first consolation prize? in return for another card spent effectively?) and leader powers and most of the things you're playing anyway or that seem good give enough coins you have at least a medium tier amount of spending money. Hidden cache(power,not card) in particular seems great.
It just reminds me of shoving Dominion (coins, trigger when played effects, etc) into Gwent. So, familair enough it isn't stupidly more complex than gwent already is. Oh! Witch hunters seem great too. Like witchers, but orange and a little toothier than the neutral ones.

Never played Dominion myself, but it might be a similar concept I suppose. The tricky thing with the coins is to balance your spenders and your earners so that you aren't over-profiting and wasting resources (as you can only have 9 coins at any time). You also have to account for things like your Hoard effects and any Tributes you'll be wanting to pay. Coins are where most of your real value comes from with Syndicate, so it requires some careful planning of your sequence of plays and spending effects to maximise that value.

TheParadigm posted:

Is Devotion really worth building around? Neutral cards, particularly gold card tutors seem almost too great to not use.

I think it's a bit early to say for sure, and it varies by faction. NG gets pretty good value from Devotion if they're running Amnesty, and it's all but essential for Fergus (as that's two extra procs on your engines), and they don't have to give up much; most NG decks aside from Double Ball typically only run Decree and the odd tech bronze as neutrals, and Roderick is a decent alternative to provide some of that consistency and thinning while also feeding your spy engines (and can be played twice with Coup de Grace). Similarly, Monsters gets decent value from Winter Queen, and can play Aen Elle Conqueror from hand. Other decks may not get quite as much value from Devotion effects, or may be too reliant on certain neutral cards to make it worthwhile to toss them just to enable Devotion.

TheParadigm posted:

What does Knickers do/how does it work?

Knickers is a weird card, in that his ability is only vaguely alluded to on the card itself. When in your deck, he has a random chance to summon himself to a random row on your side at the end of your turn, and that chance is reduced by 10% for every card in your hand. This means that the longer you go in a round (and the fewer cards left in your hand), the greater the chances that he'll come out, and on your last turn after you've played your last card, the chances of him appearing are always 100%. He's effectively a cheaper but less consistent and predictable Roach.

TheParadigm posted:

I've missed some of the old cards/old starter decks. Royal decree and Decoy had me goign 'oh hey i used to have those'. Decoy in particular I think I'm going to make a copy of, because it seems extra hilarious to shove Roach back into the deck if you pull a losing round.

Decoy is unfortunately not very useful these days; again, it's a very niche card. Using it to recycle Roach is rarely going to bring much value (if the round is lost at that point, you're often better off passing, otherwise you risk losing card advantage, which is far more important than playing Roach twice). Maybe in the current seasonal you could get some mileage out of it, though the RNG factor (and removing a 10-point unit from your board) still usually makes it a zero-net play at best and often a negative play.

TheParadigm posted:

How is the Ciri that draws you a card after 5 turns? Does her power work twice if you go to a full 10 cards in one go? I thought about picking her up because there's been a few times I've wished I had one more card to get me through a a round.

No, Ciri: Dash is terrible. Due to the delay, she has to be played early in a long round in which the opponent can't just pass, which means your opponent is almost certainly going to be able to either lock or destroy her without fail (and if he somehow can't, then you'd likely have won the round handily without the extra card anyway, since that would mean he'd be unable to deal with any of your engines). Her ability also only triggers once, so she'll never draw you two cards.

TheParadigm posted:

I hadn't thought about the powers like that! Right now I'm using the frost hounds and the legendary one that works the same way (aparian phantom?) until it bites something; I've definitely seen rounds where I get two down and they just grow for 7-8 turns, and while carapace may be weak, i'm getting surprisingly good mileage, but also feeling the point where i'm losing by like 1-5 points a round and should start exploring slightly better cards.
The provision mechanic's really well thought out. I like how there's slightly better versions of things for +1 provisions (golden froth vs armory, for example). I was thinking golden froth was nice with vesamir and company, until I realized it was only six points that works if you have 3 people, and like the lightning card exists.

Yep, the game was very, very different before provisions, and it's a lot better (and far easier to balance) now. In the old days most decks ran the same three or four golds and the same handful of silvers because some were just plain better than others, and since the only limit was the four golds and six silvers in the deck, you naturally always used the best ones. Same with bronzes; every deck archetype basically ran the exact same bronze package, other than minor tweaks like swapping a third Enforcer for a third Brigade or something.

Incidentally, Golden Froth is a really good card in some decks, particularly SK Druid decks. Getting three adjacent bodies is easy with lots of Crow-spawning cards in that archetype, so it's almost always a 6 point for 4 provision card (which is great value for a 4p bronze) and being an Alchemy, Froth synergizes with your Preachers, Ermion, and Crowmother. Thunder's good too, as a 5 damage for 5p with the possibility of removal, though keep in mind that a couple factions have better 5-for-5 damage spells; Nature's Rebuke for ST, which also boosts a Treant on your side by a couple points, and Boiling Oil for NR, which purifies adjacent units on a Deathblow (which is, admittedly, rarely actually useful, but can sometimes remove a Vitality effect or two for a bit of extra value).

TheParadigm posted:

Is the not asleep Old Speartip wort the scrap?

Eh, probably not; Speartip doesn't see a lot of play. He's not particularly good value for such a high provision card, and is just a giant removal target. Most "big boy" Monsters decks run Golyat (10 for 8p) and Yghern (13 for 10p) instead; they have a bit more downside, but are much more cost-efficient (and still make perfectly good nummy treats for ol' Ozzy :v: ).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok there has got to be a way I’m just not clicking with of beating the monsters ethereal strategy. I haven’t seen any complaints of it being broken so I’m guessing there’s something super obvious I’m missing

There’s moving tall units to kind of block it but you have to have it specifically for that strategy and igni isn’t an option if you want devotion

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 4, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ok there has got to be a way I’m just not clicking with of beating the monsters ethereal strategy. I haven’t seen any complaints of it being broken so I’m guessing there’s something super obvious I’m missing

It's pretty loving broken. I haven't lost with it yet.

Theoretical ways to deal with it:

1) Kill all Ethereals ASAP. This requires a big damage leader like BoG or a lot of damaging orders/charges on the board, because you have to do 4 damage to at least 2 bodies in a single turn.

2) Kill all Ethereals after they grow. Ping other units in the row down to 4 or less and Igni after there's enough of them.

3) Lock the rightmost Ethereal. The best things to transform are 1 strength, and most 1 strength things are tokens (like Fruits) that always spawn on the far right, meaning they can't place it to the left of the locked one. This won't completely shut them down, as there are some low value units that can be placed where they want, but it might slow them down or make life difficult.

4) Auckes with Serrit in hand.

5) Wait until they nerf it to 3 strength.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 4, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks as always 😁

I’ll see what I can adapt

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright. I'm checking in! I have: 1950 ore, 30000 scrap and 350 powder. 0 kegs left.

I think my shortlist of 'this seems useful' is this
Cave Troll
Ard Gaeth
Winter Queen
~maybe~ something like last wish or naglfar to recur ard gaeth more?

and my shortlist of 'maybe this seems fun?' is
Haunt (the scenario)
Weavess: Incantation
Miruna
Penitent
Lady of the Lake - shields on command seems great! works with penitent

Questions: Does Coup de Grace work with executing disloyal/spying units to play them again? That seems hilarious
Is lady of the lake worth it?
What's up with Order effects? Are they supposed to be constantly usable? Only once ever? I get what Charges do, but what does cooldown mean, or if an order doesn't have it?
I've been wondering why Nithral is only usable twice and I can't seem to figure it out. What's up with that?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

TheParadigm posted:

Alright. I'm checking in! I have: 1950 ore, 30000 scrap and 350 powder. 0 kegs left.

Cave Troll
Ard Gaeth
Winter Queen

and my shortlist of 'maybe this seems fun?' is
Haunt (the scenario)
Weavess: Incantation
Miruna
Penitent
Lady of the Lake - shields on command seems great! works with penitent

Questions: Does Coup de Grace work with executing disloyal/spying units to play them again? That seems hilarious
What's up with Order effects? Are they supposed to be constantly usable? Only once ever? I get what Charges do, but what does cooldown mean, or if an order doesn't have it?
I've been wondering why Nithral is only usable twice and I can't seem to figure it out. What's up with that?

1950 ore will buy you 19 kegs, if you want to spend it all. If you're just starting out and want to focus on one faction right now, the best approach is to buy faction-specific kegs for the faction you want to use; probably Monsters kegs in your case. This will ensure that all the cards you get are from that faction and will help you build up a good collection of that faction quickly so you can make decent decks. *Always* spend all your available Ore (unless you want to save a bit for Arena runs) and open all your available kegs before crafting any cards, as you never know when you might get lucky and pull the card you needed from a keg.

Duplicates you get can be Milled for scraps as well, though automatic milling will only happen after you have four copies of each bronze or two copies of each gold (because CDPR decided to listen to the 0.1% of hardcore completionists who wanted to be able to own full sets of both standard and premium cards, and won't provide an option to mill >2/>1 duplicates for everyone else for...reasons). That means that you may need to go through your collection in the Deck Builder and manually mill cards where you have 2 of a particular gold or 3-4 of a bronze, in order to max out your scraps. (It's best not to mill cards that you don't have unusable duplicates of, as it's not cost-efficient at all, and you never know when today's trash card might become tomorrow's OP pubbie-tear-harvester after a patch...)

Ard Gaeth and Winter Queen are solid if you want to include some Frost in your deck. Cave Troll is a Defender, which can be handy, but isn't common in many MO meta decks, as most don't rely on engines that need his protection. You'll see him in Vampire decks at times to protect Orianna, but other builds usually have more valuable cards to run for those 9 provisions which provide better synergy. All depends on your deck build, though; if you do like to use engines, especially row-locked engines, a Defender is often a good idea.

Lady of the Lake isn't really great for most Monsters decks, as shields don't add that much value for Monsters. She'd be more useful in some NR archetypes, as she can provide synergy with units like Anseis (a shield means he can easily win duels even against very tall units) and Windhalm. Again, there are usually more valuable cards in that 7p range in most cases. As you noted, she's not a terrible second option in a Penitent deck, though more commonly you'd want to run Pugo and The Beast as your 7p units in such a deck.

In general, always remember when constructing your decks to be mindful of your deck's synergies and its win condition, and look for cards which specifically enable or add value to those. Putting a shield on a unit is OK, but you really have to ask "Is this really the most valuable card I can run in this slot, or is there something else that might get me more value?" How much value will you actually get from a single shield? Remember that many decks have ways to easily ping off a shield without sacrificing the full value of a big removal spell or effect, so it may not be as much protection as you'd think in a lot of cases. If it protects your engine for, say, one extra turn, is that really better value than a card like The Beast, which can grow quite significantly if you're playing lots of big units or help you retain Dominance if your opponent is also going tall?

Coup de Grace works on Spying units, yes; in fact, that is its primary intent (hence the Conspiracy condition, which means it doesn't even have to actually kill the spying unit in question to trigger). Using it to play a second Roderick, Cantarella, or even Joachim is a huge value play for an NG deck. It could also be used to steal a valuable wounded enemy unit in a pinch, but in most cases it's going to be used to duplicate the NG player's valuable spies. (If you're playing Monsters and have any Consume units, it would be very wise to devour any gold spies before they can be recycled in that way...)

Orders come in a few different flavours:

- Basic Orders (denoted by "Order: Do X" alone) can only be activated once; after the order is used up, it's gone and can't be used again in most cases. There are a couple special single-use Order cards which can refresh their Order under certain circumstances, such as Gremist, who gets his Purify Order back when you play an Alchemy card. There are also a couple of cards, like the new Viraxas evolving card, which can refresh another exhausted Order unit's ability.

- Charge-based orders are denoted by "Order: Do X; Charges: Y". These orders can be used repeatedly until the charge counter is exhausted. Cards or effects which add Charges to units can be used to reactivate these Orders even after they are exhausted. Most often you'll see this type of Order in NR decks, although there are a few Charge-based units in other factions as well (e.g. Hefty Helge and Fire Scorpions in NG, which gain charges when Tactics are played, and Impera Enforcers which gain Charges when spies appear). In most cases you can use as many Charges as you like during a single turn, although there are a couple of cards (mostly artifacts like Mastercrafted Spear and Wyvren Scale Shield) which limit you to using one Charge per turn for balance purposes.

- Cooldown Orders are denoted by "Order: Do X; Cooldown: Y". These orders can be used once and will then refresh themselves every Y turns, at which point they can be used again. They don't have Charges and so cannot be refreshed early by cards that add Charges to units. Some Cooldown Order cards with longer Cooldowns have a conditional which will reduce the Cooldown time when certain types of cards are played or effects happen.

Orders generally can't be activated on the same turn that you play, spawn, seize, or otherwise put the unit in question on the board (think summoning sickness, if you're an M:TG player...). The exception is units with Zeal, which can use their Order on the turn that they're played.

Fee/Insanity is a special Syndicate version of an Order. Each activation costs a certain number of Coins, or in the case of units with Insanity, deals damage to the unit in question equal to its Fee if you don't have enough Coins to pay for the activation. These abilities can be used as many times as you'd like in a single turn, until you run out of Coins (or, for Insanity, until the unit in question would die on the next activation; Insanity units are insane, not suicidal, so they won't kill themselves to activate their ability...), and they never become exhausted; as long as you have the Coins to spare, you can activate them again anytime. Unlike normal Orders, Fee/Insanity abilities can also be used on the same turn that the unit is played.

As for Nithral, he should be usable once every turn, as his Order has a one-turn cooldown. If you were unable to use his order, it's likely because your opponent disabled him with a Lock, or because they moved him from the Melee to the Ranged row (he is Melee-locked, meaning that his order can only be used when he is on the Melee row).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Denny answered pretty much everything you asked, but here's a couple more thoughts.

TheParadigm posted:

Cave Troll
Ard Gaeth
Winter Queen

I've been having good Wild Hunt success with a deck that's almost identical to this one: https://youtu.be/OG4hQGWE57k

Only difference is that I have Imlerith's Wrath instead of Caranthir. Double Beast is nice, but I like having targeted damage to remove engines or keep dominance.

TheParadigm posted:

She was always an good card in a game of great cards, so she usually missed the cut. Her stock has gone way up this last patch, though, for two reasons. First, they increased her strength which is great. Secondly, as long as half the people in the game are playing that Skellige deck with the dude that has rupture, targeted shield is going to be huge. Rupture is a status that he puts on one of your units, and then at the end of your next turn the unit dies. But, the way it dies is that rupture does exactly as much damage as it has strength, and since shield prevents one instance of damage it completely negates the rupture.