Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Me Myself and I posted:

Anyway you got me, I'm just done with this. I'm dropping it.

Just do whatever y'all want with fyad since that seems to be the plan anyway. good luck with the inevitable bullshit down the line days, weeks or years from now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf5qrVdD9E0

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dex_sda posted:

if you think about it, not posting is the most epic meltdown of all

is there anything more shameful than logging off

e: though yes now that i look at it again for more than 2 seconds that is a profoundly stupid assumption i made, i should make fun of arfjason for his terrible posting rather than my confirmation bias

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 30, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Yinlock posted:

is there anything more shameful than logging off

Logging in?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zarin posted:

Logging in?

given that lowtax owns the forums poo poo you're right

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno why anyone gives a poo poo about FYAD as an entity

it had like a couple hundred posts a day at the end there and was essentially just a tourist kiosk of what it used to be with some bored locals still doing the gimmick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ye olde fyad forumme

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And it's not like they didn't get a new forum out of this. QCS is letting them talk about all the stuff they love.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

smarxist posted:

i dunno why anyone gives a poo poo about FYAD as an entity

it had like a couple hundred posts a day at the end there and was essentially just a tourist kiosk of what it used to be with some bored locals still doing the gimmick

look man you don't know how hard it is for me to work my two favorite guilty pleasures dashboard confessional AND spiderman 3 seamlessly into a convo in 2020

just let me have this

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
how you been KM?

must have been a relief to dip before all this insanity lmao

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Koalas March posted:

look man you don't know how hard it is for me to work my two favorite guilty pleasures dashboard confessional AND spiderman 3 seamlessly into a convo in 2020

just let me have this

Spiderman 3 is the best spiderman movie. James Franco making pancakes(?) and dancing around with spiderman’s girlfriend, spiderman disco dancing on his way to the gap outlet, spiderman swing dancing, it’s perfect!

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I mean , on one hand they did loose their posting home and they were kinda right about the tax man.

On the other hand , everything else.

I say bring back fyad, but have shoujo hitler be the background.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

smarxist posted:

how you been KM?

must have been a relief to dip before all this insanity lmao

I'm ok tho! How are you?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

I'm ok tho! How are you?

ahhhhhhh same ol' stuff, shitpostin' and the like. had a crazy couple weeks at home because of a fire in my apartment building and some other crap, but we good thanks for asking :)

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
in awe of my boy homeless friends neuro linguistic posting, one shot and he has all three remaining moderator synapses firing exactly how he wants. respect

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lmbo

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I prefer the edit one of the mods made, personally:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lightning Knight posted:

I prefer the edit one of the mods made, personally:

lol

tbf i dont think theres any grand admin conspiracy, and most mods aren't even bad actors, just out of their depth yet determined to hold tight to control they feel entitled to, whether that entitlement comes from a place of narcissism or genuine misunderstanding; nobody is entitled to mod status, and when one has lost the faith of a large subset of posters, them not stepping down has never and will never go over well

I respect your having stuck to your principles and stepping down, and on balance you were one of the good ones.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
also I wanted to address something I saw floating around that I find bizarre, which is the idea that I didn’t like Pog. I quite like Pog, I think he’s a good poster. I think his IKship of QCS didn’t go as well as it could’ve for a bunch of reasons but I recommended he be mod of the remade FYAD because I thought he’d do well.

and I think he did, although there’s only so much you can do when you ask a guy to fill a bucket with a fork.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheeee posted:

lol

tbf i dont think theres any grand admin conspiracy, and most mods aren't even bad actors, just out of their depth yet determined to hold tight to control they feel entitled to, whether that entitlement comes from a place of narcissism or genuine misunderstanding; nobody is entitled to mod status, and when one has lost the faith of a large subset of posters, them not stepping down has never and will never go over well

I respect your having stuck to your principles and stepping down, and on balance you were one of the good ones.

Yeah, to be honest I think a lot of stuff, like 80% of the mod-related trouble we've had, comes down to people acting on bad information.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

docbeard posted:

Yeah, to be honest I think a lot of stuff, like 80% of the mod-related trouble we've had, comes down to people acting on bad information.

on the internet everyone automatically assumes everyone else is acting in bad faith all the time. its just a fundamental problem of social interaction without actually seeing people and being able to humanize and empathize with them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Also the root cause of FYAD being put down was their inability to quit sticking their dicks in other peoples' business, everything else like the nazi poo poo and slurs was ancillary to them just being too stupid to keep their heads down and stay in their place out of sight and out of mind.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

also I wanted to address something I saw floating around that I find bizarre, which is the idea that I didn’t like Pog. I quite like Pog, I think he’s a good poster. I think his IKship of QCS didn’t go as well as it could’ve for a bunch of reasons but I recommended he be mod of the remade FYAD because I thought he’d do well.

and I think he did, although there’s only so much you can do when you ask a guy to fill a bucket with a fork.

Going through and reading people's reactions.. it's weird to watch yourself be mythologized in real time.

The only thing I feel the need to clarify before it gets out of control: one goon made a weird hit list of people and me and other mods were like it's very much not ok and condemned pretty roundly (as did many other posters) and I'm pretty sure they banned, but I'm positive they received some sort of punishment.

HOWEVER there was a separate list made by me and 2 other mods who specifically went through fyad and read threads personally and made copies of posts we saw that were racist, transphobic or otherwise harmful and worthy of mod actions.

We wanted to take things on a case by case basis and put a lot of work and thought into it.

I was going through a lot of personal poo poo at the time (sick for weeks, afraid of being homeless and overworking myself) and while I have made some public and personal apologies after the fact but as you'll see in the thread, while I didn't hate the idea of fyad or having a space to experiment with subversive humor, but "ironic" bigotry is still bigotry and posts targeting minority users in abusive or harmful ways shouldn't be tolerated and I stand by that.

For what it's worth I have always tried to engage in good faith and if you have concerns or questions please feel free to pm me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fly Molo posted:

yeah tbh there’s a lot of praising of FYAD and making GBS threads on CSPAM in that thread, I would’ve expected them to be happier :shrug:

and 75% of it is just bouncing around ideas in a constructive manner, it’s weird seeing the other side of the panopticon but nothing earth shattering

The “heavily curated” post, if accurate, is reason enough to keep fyad closed. That sounds loving insane and no one who wants to treat posting on the internet like you’re joining the loving bene gesserits should be allowed to keep operating.

My story? I flamed out while learning the correct way to use tane from a 42 year old who will break into the world of Twitter stardom any day now. I can never go home again, my father would be ashamed, so I muck out the stables in qcs now, jfc.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Wheeee posted:

Also the root cause of FYAD being put down was their inability to quit sticking their dicks in other peoples' business, everything else like the nazi poo poo and slurs was ancillary to them just being too stupid to keep their heads down and stay in their place out of sight and out of mind.

yeah. fyad was fundamentally a trolling forum and lived for internet drama, until the temptation to poo poo where you eat grew too strong to resist i guess

i'm not super hopeful that jeffrey will find a way to keep trolls and the people they like to troll happy on the same forums, but we'll see

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Koalas March posted:

The only thing I feel the need to clarify before it gets out of control: one goon made a weird hit list of people and me and other mods were like it's very much not ok and condemned pretty roundly (as did many other posters) and I'm pretty sure they banned, but I'm positive they received some sort of punishment.

this list from Dumb Lowtax? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3906185&pagenumber=103&perpage=40#post501298953

because I distinctly remember you asking them for follow-up details, not condemning it roundly. But the thread is behind the modwall for good reasons, so if I’m wrong I’m absolutely willing to be proven so, there’s just no way for non mods to verify it atm

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

this list from Dumb Lowtax? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3906185&pagenumber=103&perpage=40#post501298953

because I distinctly remember you asking them for follow-up details, not condemning it roundly. But the thread is behind the modwall for good reasons, so if I’m wrong I’m absolutely willing to be proven so, there’s just no way for non mods to verify it atm

I think I said if you have to links to specific posts that are harmful or abusive to forward them to a mod but otherwise no. I remember mods having a a pretty firm consensus on that one and I hope I stressed that

There was so much going on at the time and I honestly can't be sure. I'm positive in hindsight I let some poo poo fall through the cracks and I apologise for that but I did try my best and if that wasn't satisfactory I am sorry.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

Going through and reading people's reactions.. it's weird to watch yourself be mythologized in real time.

lmfao, you should see the tl;dr of what gets passed around about why i departed a certain offsite

it's just a list of 80% vindictive lies and 20% exaggerated bullshit, and it causes me to get harassed here on the reg by randos

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fly Molo posted:

if anyone didn’t see, part of the mod forum discussing the closure of FYAD got leaked by a QCS Krew dude angry about the closure

shoutout to KM and LK for having the best reactions, y’all were always two of the good ones :peanut:

quote:

I am definitely not okay with probating mods, preventing mods from posting in the reports forum is particularly bad. In my mind this gets your buttons taken away. That really goes for any IK, it's not just a fyad thing.

oops

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hey I missed the fun last night and didn't get probed

any chance you can hit me with a 6er for mod sass?

or are you chicken?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dustcat posted:

yeah. fyad was fundamentally a trolling forum and lived for internet drama, until the temptation to poo poo where you eat grew too strong to resist i guess

i'm not super hopeful that jeffrey will find a way to keep trolls and the people they like to troll happy on the same forums, but we'll see

Yeah, from my point of view the problem was never totally the racist or bigoted stuff. I think people came at it with an understanding of what fyad was, told them to cut it out because it was starting to cross the line, and fyad lost their poo poo at the idea they were accountable to anyone.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A long time ago, someone said that FYAD viewed itself as the conscience of the forums. So their role required them, by their very concept, to stick their collective dicks into whatever poo poo they wanted, and when they were told not to do that, it was an attack on their very core. I didn't spend time there, so I can't say that it's true, but it fits from what I see.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, from my point of view the problem was never totally the racist or bigoted stuff. I think people came at it with an understanding of what fyad was, told them to cut it out because it was starting to cross the line, and fyad lost their poo poo at the idea they were accountable to anyone.

it's a strange sense of entitlement you can still see in the remnants, like when arfjason decided that the yospos username thread was unfunny, and that to point out and punish its unfunniness, he should go in there and spam it with even dumber usernames. he was repeatedly sixered for it until graph got tired and gave him seven days, and lo, there was a multipage qcs thread of genuinely mad people demanding to know what rule had been broken, and arguing that username threads are objectively unfunny and therefore fyad has a right to troll them, so if any new rules needed to made, they should focus on exactly how many troll posts per day would be permitted

not hard to see how that kind of attitude and lax moderation would lead to genuine harassment

Azathoth posted:

A long time ago, someone said that FYAD viewed itself as the conscience of the forums. So their role required them, by their very concept, to stick their collective dicks into whatever poo poo they wanted, and when they were told not to do that, it was an attack on their very core. I didn't spend time there, so I can't say that it's true, but it fits from what I see.

this is spot on

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

FYAD talked poo poo and FYAD got hit.

They're absolutely correct that there ended up being a dedicated drive to get rid of them, and it's because they wouldn't stop making GBS threads in the pool.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I miss FYAD and I think targeting a bunch of good posters and running them off instead of trying to work things out was a big mistake and made the forums worse. There were multiple signs that regulars were absolutely willing to make some changes after the initial closing but were ignored because people wanted to shout at windmills and the mods didn't care. I'm not expecting FYAD to come back or anything but I do feel like you can't run SA when people feel like they're one post away from being Ben Moraed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wheeee posted:

FYAD talked poo poo and FYAD got hit.

They're absolutely correct that there ended up being a dedicated drive to get rid of them, and it's because they wouldn't stop making GBS threads in the pool.

I hesitate to comment on this topic because I can already hear the wolves circling but I will point out that, while this and the preceding posts about FYAD are all true, it IS unfair that they got tarnished as Nazis, rather than merely a bunch of dicks who didn’t care what people thought of them.

and that’s all I’d like to say about that*

*this movie is older than me

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I hesitate to comment on this topic because I can already hear the wolves circling but I will point out that, while this and the preceding posts about FYAD are all true, it IS unfair that they got tarnished as Nazis, rather than merely a bunch of dicks who didn’t care what people thought of them.

One user had an SS symbol in their signature with the line "death to f-slurs, send them to hell"

They weren't even permabanned, just regular banned and they bought their account back. This was in January.

Not all of them were Actual Nazis but people sometimes coloquially use "Nazi" to mean "a level beyond even your standard bigot" they don't have to be wearing a uniform and marching in 1940s Germany to be a Nazi and FYAD was cool with their presence. What's the saying? A few bad apples spoils the bunch?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious frankie posted:

The “heavily curated” post, if accurate, is reason enough to keep fyad closed. That sounds loving insane and no one who wants to treat posting on the internet like you’re joining the loving bene gesserits should be allowed to keep operating.

My story? I flamed out while learning the correct way to use tane from a 42 year old who will break into the world of Twitter stardom any day now. I can never go home again, my father would be ashamed, so I muck out the stables in qcs now, jfc.

hahaha it's loving wild, especially given who's saying it, as if it's a secret guild where you have to apprentice under a senior poster for months and hug and kiss them until you're ready to fly on your own. i mean, it's definitely debatable whether there's a useful niche for a 'gently caress it no rules' posting space, but it was less of an Elite Posting School and more of a contained riot.

smarxist posted:

lmfao, you should see the tl;dr of what gets passed around about why i departed a certain offsite

it's just a list of 80% vindictive lies and 20% exaggerated bullshit, and it causes me to get harassed here on the reg by randos

yeah, I just lurk 90% of the time and it still irks me to see random posters leaping in to attack you over "hehe hows teh offsite going?? :smuggo:".

it's a shame things didn't turn out differently. thank you for helping to start B&R, it's a very refreshing change of pace from SA's usual brand of insanity. you're a good poster, dude.

well nobody's perfect

this is why mods need to wear bodycams at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

They are so deeply drowned in irony and nostalgia for the early 2000s internet that they were pretty much like chatbots trained on old SA articles screaming catchphrases at each other
If you want to be charitable you can say that they weren't explicitly malicious, just horrifically proud of their own ignorance
Except we also know that they were malicious because they would latch on to whoever they thought was vulnerable and do the "I'm not touching you" taunting they like to do

So that may not make a person a nazi, but it sure makes them a raging rear end in a top hat