Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What the gently caress the Kakin arc started in 2012???????????????????????

Ahahahaha, time has no meaning here. The only things that exist are back pain and hiatuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is still a drop in the bucket for how long I've waited for other series to come back from hiatus.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
It'll be fine guys. We'll get to the dark continent. Then Gon, Leorio, Killua, and Kurarapika can go on an adventure again! It'll be... be just like the old days, guys. RIght?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gon would be after or instead of dark continent.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

You guys don't think Gon is going to show up at some point on the dark continent?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I do not. Kurapika and Leorio didn't show up in Chimera Ants, right?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
After Dark Continent there's going to be a timeskip to another Yorknew City arc except instead of Leorio it's Gon doing all the driving and getting stuck in traffic.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 30, 2020

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Shadow225 posted:

I do not. Kurapika and Leorio didn't show up in Chimera Ants, right?

Leorio lol. They're secondary characters to Gon though. Gon was in every arc, and I'd be really curious if he really is out for good. I like the "this would be the actual cost of going SSJ" ending for Gon not having Nen. However the idea of Don Freecs being alive and Ging going to the dark continent, I can't help but feel we'll get a little deus ex gon showing back up at some point to have all the freecs in 1 place.

Also the magic of the dark continent would be the ideal method to give Gon back nen in some fashion IF he were ever going to get it back.

and tbh i think it would be amusing if we spent 4 IRL years on this voyage to the dark continent and then gon and killua are just chillin there

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sure, togashi could make up any method or reason for gon to suddenly show up on the other side of the planet, but it would still be a ridiculous asspull. i suppose alluka could send him over, but gon wouldn't ask killua and killua wouldn't ask alluka. also, neither gon nor killua know anything about the dark continent so why would they even want to go? what few spooky details the hunters know, they aren't sharing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, neither gon nor killua know anything about the dark continent so why would they even want to go?

Cuz Bisky, Kurapika, and Leorio are in trouble.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Cuz Bisky, Kurapika, and Leorio are in trouble.

ah, which they know because of their previously unmentioned psychic awareness. and gon going would somehow alleviate whatever problem a giant ship full of elite hunters can't handle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Whale Island is literally a Whale and it decides to start migrating

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Tunicate posted:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why does the Hunter Association even want to go to the Dark Continent, knowing all the hosed up poo poo that comes out of that hellhole?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, Hunters live for hosed up poo poo. That's kinda their thing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Why does the Hunter Association even want to go to the Dark Continent, knowing all the hosed up poo poo that comes out of that hellhole?

They don't. Netero put a ban on doing so after Beyond's failed voyage half a century ago and only outliers like Ging want to go there. Kakin forced the associations hands by announcing to the world that a voyage will be happening and the V5 is making the Association chaperone or else the association loses their many privileges.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of the people on that ship are going to a perfectly normal uninhabited island, which they have been told is the dark continent. only the real nuts (and leorio) are continuing on to the real one from there. kurapika for example has no intention of going there, and is only on the ship because he's hunting the glam serial killer prince.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also there is potential that some really useful stuff can be found on the Dark Continent. So the Zodiacs and the many other hunters that are going are mainly just hoping this won't be a huge bloodbath.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Tunicate posted:

:hmmyes:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Future Gon and Killua travel back in time to the Dark Continent via wishes to save humanity from ULTIMATE LEORIO who contracted every hell disease on the place and became omnipotent, but it turns out this was ULTIMATE LEORIO’s true plan to get his family back together and they just chill. Last panel is Kurapika dropping dead because he forgot to turn Emperor Time off.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

They don't. Netero put a ban on doing so after Beyond's failed voyage half a century ago and only outliers like Ging want to go there. Kakin forced the associations hands by announcing to the world that a voyage will be happening and the V5 is making the Association chaperone or else the association loses their many privileges.

It still blows my mind that the world as we know it is just a bunch of continents contained within a tiny lake and the rest of the world is almost incomprehensible in it’s size. You couldn’t explore even half of the listed map in one lifetime.

Plus I love that each time they’ve gone, they’ve brought back apocalypse level disasters like Ai (Alluka was possessed by one of these , in case any of y’all didn’t know).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Asuron posted:

It still blows my mind that the world as we know it is just a bunch of continents contained within a tiny lake and the rest of the world is almost incomprehensible in it’s size. You couldn’t explore even half of the listed map in one lifetime.

Plus I love that each time they’ve gone, they’ve brought back apocalypse level disasters like Ai (Alluka was possessed by one of these , in case any of y’all didn’t know).

If I recall correctly, Chimera Ants actually came from there too. Related, Meruem's colony only was a "B" level threat. Meanwhile, Ai is an "A", and the immortality disease or whatever is a B+, for example. The most dangerous Chimera Ants and the single strongest individual we've seen in the comic aren't even close to the worst things that place has.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 1, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It makes sense with the Chimera Ants. While they were super dangerous and would have caused tons of death and destruction if they were not stopped when they were, they were ultimately never a true threat to humanity. As a strong enough nation could have just fully scorched the earth with them, like what was done to the king.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It makes sense with the Chimera Ants. While they were super dangerous and would have caused tons of death and destruction if they were not stopped when they were, they were ultimately never a true threat to humanity. As a strong enough nation could have just fully scorched the earth with them, like what was done to the king.

yeah if it weren't for political bullshit they could have just hit the queen with a cruise missile and ended the threat there

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tunicate posted:

yeah if it weren't for political bullshit they could have just hit the queen with a cruise missile and ended the threat there

The irony/tragedy being that for how things ended up with Pouf contaminating and killing everyone that was meant to be sorted just nuking the palace before the invasion would have meant a lot less dead people. Which is probably an intentional plot point :(

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Last Celebration posted:

The irony/tragedy being that for how things ended up with Pouf contaminating and killing everyone that was meant to be sorted just nuking the palace before the invasion would have meant a lot less dead people. Which is probably an intentional plot point :(

Pouf did not kill everyone, But I do recall it was around 500,000.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pouf did not kill everyone, But I do recall it was around 500,000.

Of which he's only responsible for like 45,000 deaths according to the narrator. The 500,000 were citizens already killed in the selection but there was an additional body count so close to 600,000 died overall.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'm a guy that has spent 8 years wondering if Robin is a friend or a foe,heeeelp. but I also like that gings arc finished and we're just about to find don's father in outer space.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Keep posting my friends, our collective psychic energy will transfer to Togashi and inspire him to author another chapter

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
togashis irl hatsu would be a power boost for how much dragon quest he's been playing

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so, i finished greed island, and uh, guys? i still got QUESTIONS

so according to that gamemaster dude (the dodgeball guy), it turns out that greed island is actually part of the real world. okay, part of me KIND OF figured that, but...

- how do the cards have the capabilities that they do? is it cause of nen?
- how do they summon books? also nen?
- if greed island is indeed the real world, then does that mean that all the "NPCs" are... actual people? and if so, what are they doing there?"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

so according to that gamemaster dude (the dodgeball guy), it turns out that greed island is actually part of the real world. okay, part of me KIND OF figured that, but...

- if greed island is indeed the real world, then does that mean that all the "NPCs" are... actual people? and if so, what are they doing there?"

-It's a big collaborative nen power relying on a group of super strong people all collaborating to make it work as a full time job, with pretty rigid restrictions (like cards only work inside the greed island zone, except for the single card you can take out upon winning the game and destroying greed island)
-nen constructs
-Some of the NPCs are real prisoners working off their setences (like Razor), some are Ging's friends, a lot of them are just game constructs (like the villagers)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The answer is it doesn't really make sense. Yes all the books and spells and NPCs are Nen, but kind of like a meta-Nen that exists outside of individual players and is drawn from the game creators. When you get down to brass tacks though, the level of complexity of the world and power of the spells makes it pretty unreasonable for even a bunch of super-powerful Nen users to be providing. Plus, there don't seem to be many of the devs around and they aren't doing anything, really.

The best way to envisage it, I guess, is much like the boxing ring that appears briefly that empowers the user within it, many powerful Nen users spent X years creating a Nen 'superstructure' that allows the game to pretty much function autonomously, while a few devs remain to troubleshoot.

Of course, even that interpretation can be poked full of a million holes. Don't think too hard about it, or about stuff like "oh hey, a card that casually cures any ailment/injury. that would sure be useful in the world at large."

Like pretty much anything in HxH, Greed Island itself is pretty meticulously consistent internally to the arc itself. But when considered in the context of the rest of the series or the world at large, not really. And that's fine. It's not egregious, the finicky details don't matter. No point in letting obsessive anal retentiveness get in the way of a cool idea.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mr Interweb posted:

It's pretty much all nen, yeah. The cards, books, and NPCs are all constructs maintained by Razor and the other game masters, like the two receptionist girls in the big cyber helmets, Dwun, and List. The prisoners working under Razor were real people but pretty much everybody else they talk to like the ninja village or the shopkeepers and random townsfolk are NPCs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jeza posted:

The answer is it doesn't really make sense. Yes all the books and spells and NPCs are Nen, but kind of like a meta-Nen that exists outside of individual players and is drawn from the game creators. When you get down to brass tacks though, the level of complexity of the world and power of the spells makes it pretty unreasonable for even a bunch of super-powerful Nen users to be providing. Plus, there don't seem to be many of the devs around and they aren't doing anything, really.
Not going to lie, I re-read the GI card list to see the limits these cards could be if they were taken off the island and surprisingly most of the nonsense ones are the cards that are also locations. Especially the 000 card which gives you a castle and 10,000 inhabitants. This could be explained as Ging and his crew having set aside locations for these cards to be activated in like nature reserves or an already constructed castle with conjured puppets inside but still.

Then you have cards that require specialization and specifically future sight because there's one that tells you when and where to go to meet members of the opposite sex that are your type. And another that tells you words that if you learn them might come in handy in the future. Also the cards that give you varying degrees of good and bad luck. How the heck do those work? How about the butterfly that will give an entire generation of your family good fortune?

I found that the sheer bulk of cards would work through conjuration since a lot are either objects that do a specific thing but stuff like augmenting or altering the body in some way. Others are a creature or construct that produce a specific material or substance so again.

But yeah, it's not something I think you're supposed to take too seriously because the logistics of these cards is pretty darn crazy for something 11 people are fueling.

Basically, it's not a surprise why Togashi spent more time featuring the teleportation cards on GI than any other type of spell or special card. Imagine if someone had just used Card #82 on Genthru and ended the arc right there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume that Greed Island was one of those cases of stacking so many limitations onto something that it effectively has omnipotent power in an extremely specific way. Nen can absolutely do things like reveal the future (as we saw with Neon) so it's just a case of the very specific limitations involved. The more you hyper focus on your nen the more effective it can be and having a giant fake video game with tons of specific rules and people dedicated just to maintaining it is probably part of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the restrictions would involve the death of the people running the place if it was broken, since that seems to be one of the things that supercharges your nen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jeza posted:

Don't think too hard about it, or about stuff like "oh hey, a card that casually cures any ailment/injury. that would sure be useful in the world at large."

I'd bet if it came up, using the card in game would only work on injuries sustained within greed island itself, and you'd need to win the game and bring it to the real world to work on anything else. Otherwise richman could have just entered GI with his lover and had the magic items brought directly to him.

I think the castle was already part of greed island, and is the 'well I like living here so I'll just stick around' option

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 3, 2020

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The power of any nen is based on the restrictions, with more interesting and varied the effects the more powerful and trained you are.

The restriction of "beating Greed Island" was deemed absolutely hard enough to get a cleanse style one time use super nen effect or any of the other effects. It's simple as that. Nen's done otherwise similarly absurd things that we've seen without nearly as many powerful nen users coming together to create it. Now Greed Island's perpetual existence is a lot more finicky but the "one card one use outside upon winning" is probably the least concept breaking of the arc.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

I mean what, are we to believe this is some sort of a magic nen or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My assumption on the reason you don't see more hyper super mega ultra specially focused Nen stuff is because it requires you to have an insane level of dedication to something. Like Kirapika can hypercharge himself because he's a broken dude whose sole obsession is destroying his life. Netero is a crazy fightman to a degree that would make Goku go "yo dude chill out with the fighting a bit."

You can't just game the system by trying to pile restrictions on top of each other. There has to be actual dedication on a personal level to actually make it work.