Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh there's where Colony Drop went. I wondered what happened to those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah Zimmerit's their new stomping grounds, lots of neat plamo articles like the one on Kazuhisa Kondo and Makoto Kobayashi's Gundam garage kits.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Bees on Wheat posted:

Actually it was gin, St. Germain, and Fevertree elderflower tonic. Sadly, I have no limes at the moment. :sigh:

Tonic is fine too! My wife isn't keen on tonic water so we just keep those little mini bottles of club soda. It's just as great.

I'm too lazy to scroll back for any talk about Bandai's newer Sakura Wars kits but oh man, prepare for seamy hell. At least on the Kobu Kai, the visible parts of the leg and arm frames, forearms, upper legs, and lower legs have big visible seams, and since the construction of the Kobu is all chonky cylinders, there's no panel lines to engineer them on. All the pieces have the big hollow pegs that go into even bigger sockets, which wrap around the inner frame parts.

Seamfilling the frame parts was just kinda eh since a sanding sponge wouldn't keep the sharp edges of the cool accordion-like frames. I just used fresh #11 scalpel blades and gentle scraping. Primer and paint helped cover it up so it won't won contests but it looks contiguous, which is the important part.

The armor parts, though? Ugh. The fit is crazy tight, so I had to use a circular file to file out the insides of the hollow sockets. Even then it wasn't enough, and I've never had good results clipping off angular halves of hollow pegs. The end result was covering up the frame parts with Silly Putty (your new absolute amazing masking tool, holy poo poo it's so easy to work it around painted inner frame parts that have cured overnight, it never pulls up paint, get it cheap at the dollar store toy section) and a few rounds of primer/putty/sand/repeat.

It was really tricky to sand cleanly around the big rivet head on the legs. Should hopefully be OK with a pin wash.

The main body halves also have a visible seam at the very top, so there's gonna be more masking and painting once the whole shebang is almost fully assembled.

I kinda get why the top seam exists but they were able to get the upper arm armor to mold as one cylindrical piece. I wish they were able to do the same with the others. I guess it's too big to mold? Either way, if you want to do the new Kobu Kais, expect a bit of work to get them done right.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It's PB only but they finally put out an HG Daughtress!

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1277739726389121024?s=19

Also HG Airmaster Burst.
https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1277739273324621825?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I would assume that they'd include the spike part for the Daughtress Command, but they don't show it in the group shot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I would assume that they'd include the spike part for the Daughtress Command, but they don't show it in the group shot.

I kinda doubt it even aside from that. The Daughtress's loadout is even more bare bones than the GM. If there's not even a beam saber, expecting a command antenna feels likely to be disappointed. Not like it's a Zaku style simple horn, either. It'd need a whole new face plate.

Looking at the thing... it's weird. I love grunt suits, and weird designs are generally my speed, but this just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the weird face without going anywhere with it in the rest of the design? Most of the body is just GM-but-duller, and then you get to the face and it's full Zanscare. Compare it to good 'hero' (quote marks intentional) grunts like the Jegan or the Shiden, they're consistent all through. This doesn't mesh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I misread this and momentarily thought someone was making a gunpla Airbuster

I'd buy it

yes I know it's a steampunk zeong

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really wish we'd get a 1/100 Doven Wolf or Asshimar. :sigh:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Are there any good guns akimbo MG gunpla and any whose primary color is mostly deep green* and/or purple?

*Besides Zakus. I got Char‘s Zaku in my next batch of orders. Not sure yet if I want a regular Zaku too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You’ll want to buy every Zaku. They’re the working man’s mobile suit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Are there any good guns akimbo MG gunpla and any whose primary color is mostly deep green* and/or purple?

*Besides Zakus. I got Char‘s Zaku in my next batch of orders. Not sure yet if I want a regular Zaku too.

Sounds like you want Dynames. Pretty recent, mostly green, twin pistols in addition to the sniper rifle, and it has the articulation to get pretty much any gunslinger's pose you want.

If that one's not your speed, the GM Sniper Custom might work for you. The green's muddier, but it's still loaded to the nines with a pistol, a beam spray gun, a double barreled beam spray gun, a bazooka, and a sniper rifle.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1277930111052812288?s=20

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
its legs look like they're made from craft store kids foam

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I was going to say "that's just a G-Self variant" and then I saw who the tweet author is. :v:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The only thing worse than airbrushing white and not looking like poo poo is airbrushing light pink and not looking like poo poo. The Kobu Kai was meant to be a nice decompression build from all the obsessive dissatisfaction with normal model airplanes, it's turning into an exploration in why newer-engineering Gundams are the Platonic ideal of balance between The Modeling Experience, reasonably paced progress, and fun.

gently caress me, it's gonna be such a pretty chonky boi though and I can't stop thinking about Anastasia's sniper umbrella Mugen

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jesus I forgot how much I hated screws on older kits sometimes because they seem so goddamn easy to strip for whatever reason

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Welp, I'm officially back to work tomorrow (although I'll be working from home) so my quarantine builds are officially over, I managed to do eight kits in that time. Made a good dent in my backlog (although I have been ordering more now and again), now I only have a few High Grades, the MG Mobile Pod Ball and the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex left now.

Perfect Grade Exia
Flame Toys Starscream
MG Gundam Barbatos
HG BD:R Mobile Doll May
MG Hi-Nu Ver. Ka
RG Evangelion Unit-01 Test Type
RG Force Impulse Gundam
RG Gundam Mk-II Titans

EDIT: Don't really count the Exia and Hi-Nu as finished, just built. Need to get around to decaling them, also deciding if I'm going to use the included stickers with the Exia or get some third-party waterslides.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 30, 2020

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish we'd get a 1/100 Doven Wolf or Asshimar. :sigh:

We need an MG Zock first.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

When will we get a kit of the bandit

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
So I'm currently building the Sazabi Ver. Ka, and I'm a little confused by the instructions for decal application as some of them are supposed to be placed on top of color-correcting stickers. Now so far I have had some pretty rotten luck with water slides on other sets, mostly from them just refusing to stick on properly. I did get me some setter solution to try and fix this, and from my first experiments with leftovers I do see a clear improvement - but now I have no idea what that would do to the sticker underneath.

So is it safe to apply setter on top of a sticker, or is this only supposed to work with a layer of coat in between?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

I kinda doubt it even aside from that. The Daughtress's loadout is even more bare bones than the GM. If there's not even a beam saber, expecting a command antenna feels likely to be disappointed. Not like it's a Zaku style simple horn, either. It'd need a whole new face plate.

Maybe they'll do a whole extra add on kit with a Command faceplate, the flight pack, the shoulder gun, and the high mobility legs.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

chiasaur11 posted:

Sounds like you want Dynames. Pretty recent, mostly green, twin pistols in addition to the sniper rifle, and it has the articulation to get pretty much any gunslinger's pose you want.

If that one's not your speed, the GM Sniper Custom might work for you. The green's muddier, but it's still loaded to the nines with a pistol, a beam spray gun, a double barreled beam spray gun, a bazooka, and a sniper rifle.

Thanks, I'll look those up! :tipshat:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is there a good small case for displaying Gunpla out there? Starting to run out of space on my bookshelf and the one that Ikea sells isn't exactly space saving.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeether posted:

Is there a good small case for displaying Gunpla out there? Starting to run out of space on my bookshelf and the one that Ikea sells isn't exactly space saving.

Football and basketball display boxes from Michaels can work. I think they sell some other display boxes that might also do it depending on exactly what you’re trying to contain.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MJP posted:

The only thing worse than airbrushing white and not looking like poo poo is airbrushing light pink and not looking like poo poo. The Kobu Kai was meant to be a nice decompression build from all the obsessive dissatisfaction with normal model airplanes, it's turning into an exploration in why newer-engineering Gundams are the Platonic ideal of balance between The Modeling Experience, reasonably paced progress, and fun.

gently caress me, it's gonna be such a pretty chonky boi though and I can't stop thinking about Anastasia's sniper umbrella Mugen

My first airbrush project was an HG RX-78-2, and I primed that bad boy light grey. It's not bright white, but three gentle coats made it look white rather than really light gray. I am by drat getting white primer before I get to the VFs or another White Giant.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Zeether posted:

Get a Detolf and keep buying Gundams until you fill it up, to justify the footprint and expense. It's what we all do eventually. :colbert:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ANAmal.net posted:

Get a Detolf and keep buying Gundams until you fill it up, to justify the footprint and expense. It's what we all do eventually. :colbert:
Thing is I don't know if I have the space for it. I measured one area that was a possibility but it'd still be a tight fit.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Kallax is another good option, and you can put books or whatever in the different squares.

Then when you get too many Gunpla and the room for detolfs, you can just put your detolfs on top of your kallax

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Captain Magic posted:

Kallax is another good option, and you can put books or whatever in the different squares.

Then when you get too many Gunpla and the room for detolfs, you can just put your detolfs another kallax on top of your kallax

FTFY

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

whats with all these casuals making GBS threads up the thread. your addiction isnt even that crippling

who would buy kit after kit and not build them???

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobile suit goatse posted:

:(

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

The Buster maybe? Mostly green and beige, the hip mounted cannons can go akimbo or be plugged into each other.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

where do you think you are right now?

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Null of Undefined posted:

seems financially irresponsible - i have some unbuilt kits, but I'm not gonna go nuts and keep buying them while I have like 5 to work on first!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

seems financially irresponsible - i have some unbuilt kits, but I'm not gonna go nuts and keep buying them while I have like 5 to work on first!

Building kits opens the possibility for failure. But a closed box is full of potential

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

first build technicALly done (still need to do the weapons but my back was sore)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

seems financially irresponsible

Null of Undefined posted:

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
passive aggressive 'get outs' huh? love goons :allears:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

passive aggressive 'get outs' huh? love goons :allears:

No you're more than welcome to stay, it's the backlog shaming that can :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The Buster maybe? Mostly green and beige, the hip mounted cannons can go akimbo or be plugged into each other.

I will look into it. Thank you! 🙏🏻