Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

valley update: a judge superseded abbott. strict curfew in place, masks mandatory, everything shut down at least on SPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

i say swears online posted:

valley update: a judge superseded abbott. strict curfew in place, masks mandatory, everything shut down at least on SPI

Look forward to more judges following suit, Abbott complaining but nothing being done officially since it takes the heat off of the governor's office for a bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

County judge or judge judge

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I doubt it's any better here, but it seems to me that capacity limits and table spacing etc. are again just theater and there's no level of being-indoors-with-people-you-don't-know-who-aren’t-masked-for-some-period-of-time that's both safe and economically feasible. Indoor dining just has to be on hold until this is over, the end. NJ was slated to begin easing restrictions on restaurants this week, but they postponed that on Monday.

I agree, bars and dine-in restaurants are places you go specifically not to wear a mask or engage in social distancing, they're just fundamentally incompatible with containing the spread of the virus. Closing them down is going to devastate the industry and put a lot of them out of businesses and a lot of people out of work, but I don't see how we can keep reopening them without getting new outbreaks. In a sane world we'd ease the pain by offering federal financial support for bars/restaurants and their employees in order to keep them in business until this is over, but, alas, most bars need four or five extra zeroes behind their revenue figures for the feds to even consider bailing them out.

The Rivard Report (a San Antonio nonprofit newspaper) sends out a daily newsletter on the pandemic. Weirdly, they do not seem to put it on their website, it's only in an email, so I have no link. But this paragraph seemed like new reporting I haven't seen anywhere else:

Rivard Report posted:

Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, along with other officials around the state, have asked Gov. Greg Abbott to restore the ability for local governments to impose preventative measures, including potential Stay Home/Work Safe restrictions. A decision on that could come as soon as Tuesday, Nirenberg said, and Bexar County could go back under lockdown ahead of the Fourth of July weekend.
So Mayor Ron seems to think that a lockdown is imminent. There's no further explanation of where he got "a decision... as soon as Tuesday" from, but I wonder if he got that from a conversation with the governor's office. Nirenberg's not the type to shoot from the hip on stuff like that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

zoux posted:

County judge or judge judge

county

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok so then they didn't supersede so much as "defy"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

huh, I wonder who blinks

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

My prediction is that Abbot does gently caress all. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/erinmdouglas23/status/1277991343265140736

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1277994585654988804

Also "state hospital capacity" does not equal "sufficient regional capacity" in a state that you could easily fit all of New England into

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is it even particularly clear that Abbott has the power to forbid local jurisdictions from requiring masks? I know he said they couldn't in his executive order, but most of the emergency management powers are very specific. There are a few broad ones, like 418.012, which he seems to be using as justification to claim powers not specifically outlined in the disaster act, but would his removal of local authority to enforce rules that are clearly intended to preserve public health actually hold up in court?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Back Hack posted:

My prediction is that Abbot does gently caress all. :colbert:

If the outcry is big enough from the big property condo owners and places of business he'll do something. My guess is he won't do anything till after July 4th, since then it won't matter and he'll look like he still supports small businesses.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Calling it now the Tuesday after the 4th of July Abbott has Texas back into shutdown.

The Republicans will eat him alive if they can't celebrate but we are literally running out of places to put covid patients.

He's already done the setup to blame it on young people and the rest of the Republicans are blaming it on the protests. They have a cover story and most businesses aren't making gently caress all for revenue

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
HEB requiring masks in all stores starting tomorrow.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
It's not immediately obvious in the last couple pages, what's thread consensus on Royce v Hagar?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Royce West is a better option for progressive values.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's not immediately obvious in the last couple pages, what's thread consensus on Royce v Hagar?

I suspect the thread leans towards West; I've seen some pro-Royce sentiment, I've seen some anti-Hegar sentiment, but I don't think I've seen much pro-Hegar sentiment.

Also, lol:
https://twitter.com/AlexSamuelsx5/status/1278035852216631302

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Yeah, we have the same thing in Hidalgo county, minus the beaches. Elective surgeries are banned, too.

FFS, Abbott really screwed this up, but you can't ignore the idiocy of the "MAH FREEDOMS" crowd plus young invincibles. We're definitely getting lockdown v. 2.0, even after evictions resume tomorrow. Christ.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Yeah, we have the same thing in Hidalgo county, minus the beaches. Elective surgeries are banned, too.

FFS, Abbott really screwed this up, but you can't ignore the idiocy of the "MAH FREEDOMS" crowd plus young invincibles. We're definitely getting lockdown v. 2.0, even after evictions resume tomorrow. Christ.

It's a crazy depressing prospect we live in down here. Just watching SnapMaps of heat blooms of snaps of parties and bbqs. We are so hosed down here.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://mobile.twitter.com/KaceyonFox7/status/1277998632701235201

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1278064283390218240

The Hill posted:

Tee Allen Parker, owner of The Machine Shed Bar & Grill in Kilgore, about two hours southeast of Dallas, hosted the gathering outside the bar Sunday. A second protest is planned on the steps of the capitol in Austin Tuesday, according to KLTV, a local ABC affiliate.

“You can’t tell me that my tiny little bar is the problem. He’s the problem,” Parker, who is one of multiple Texas bar owners who have banned the wearing of masks in their establishments, said of Abbott in an interview with The Washington Post. “He’s targeting us, and it’s discrimination.”

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Welp, Hegar's history of donating to republicans was enough to finally get my dad to drop support, though I'm not sure why her poo poo politics wasn't enough lol. He hadn't heard about it until I told him, so my guess is that people aren't watching this very closely and we're going to end up with Hegar anyway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That is legitimately offensive.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/groanlivia/status/1278041085160325120

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/1278069979921948674

Yeah and just about first day over 7k too

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1278076552543117313

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/1278071898207903748

Hospitalizations jumped too, but as with case counts Monday is skewed high due to the weekend. When you do the 7-day rolling average increase, it's the same as before - on pace to double every 10 days, just like it did in the last 10 days.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

everything's bigger in Texas baby, even our hastily dug mass plague graves!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Fcuk everything is so stupid, gently caress ugh

edit: I'm the stupidest of all, I moved to the US and Austin specifically in 2017 thinking how bad could it be, and boy, I did not think very well.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 30, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

married but discreet posted:

Fcuk everything is so stupid, gently caress ugh

edit: I'm the stupidest of all, I moved to the US and Austin specifically in 2017 thinking how bad could it be, and boy, I did not think very well.

Go back to where ya came from (and take me with you :kiddo: )

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

So those state figures above say 21 deaths, but Dallas County seems to be reporting 20 deaths... so either Dallas County was particularly unlucky today, or the state's figures are a bit light.

And this is one tiny little bit of good news:
https://twitter.com/SAcurrent/status/1278065971295653888

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

FoolyCharged posted:

That is legitimately offensive.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This seems bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shifty Pony posted:

This seems bad.

no it's fine, soon we'll hit the top of the graph, then there's nowhere else to go but down.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Shifty Pony posted:

This seems bad.

no no we've moved on to Only Deaths Matter

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FBS posted:

no no we've moved on to Only Deaths Matter

So in two weeks we'll be at "All Deaths Matter" while trying to bring up any non COVID case in a desperate attempt of deflection?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alkydere posted:

So in two weeks we'll be at "All Deaths Matter" while trying to bring up any non COVID case in a desperate attempt of deflection?

yea we're already going back to the well of 'uh excuse me maybe she died of pneumonia'

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

sexpig by night posted:

yea we're already going back to the well of 'uh excuse me maybe she died of pneumonia'

That's double pneumonia and multiple organ failure. But it's not covid!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1278097655516839947

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Just cancelled a planned early July trip to meet up with my parents/brother/stepbrother in Illinois then drive up to Wisconsin for a few days in a lake house. The day I booked my airline tickets is the day before cases started exploding again, so this whole thing is probably my fault, sorry y'all.

My parents may vote Republican but they're still human beings (so far) so they were very understanding, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireant
Sep 13, 2003

Information Gatherer
San Antonio just made a new public health order. Good to see something at least? But we really need to shut down.

quote:

SAN ANTONIO (June 30, 2020) — Today, Mayor Ron Nirenberg signed a fourth addendum to his Eighth Emergency Health Declaration ordering expanded safety requirements for businesses. The order is effective noon on Thursday, July 2 and will remain in place indefinitely.

“The rapid acceleration of COVID-19 cases in our community requires additional vigilance,” said Mayor Ron Nirenberg. “We all have to stay serious about thwarting the spread of the coronavirus. We can’t afford to let up or be complacent.”

Today, San Antonio reported a surge of 1,268 new COVID-19 cases. The area also continues to see an exponential rise in the number of patients hospitalized, in the ICU, or on ventilators due to COVID-19 complications.

UPDATES TO THE ORDER INCLUDE:

All businesses providing goods or services to the public must develop and implement a health and safety policy that must include at a minimum that all employees and visitors go through a pre-screening involving symptom questions and a temperature check.

This is in addition to the Mayor’s previous order which mandates that all employees and patrons wear face coverings when they are in an area or performing activities which will involve close contact or proximity to others where six feet of separation is not feasible.

All large gatherings of 100 or more people, whether indoor or outdoor are prohibited. Exceptions to this order include the standard exceptions as detailed by Governor Greg Abbott.

EXCEPTIONS:
Excepted activities including recreational sports programs for youths and adults; professional, collegiate, or similar sporting events; swimming pools; water parks; museums and libraries; zoos, aquariums, natural caverns, and similar facilities; rodeos and equestrian events; and amusement parks and carnivals must implement a Health and Safety Policy to include pre-screening, temperature checks and the use of face coverings by Friday, July 3, 2020 8 a.m.

Exceptions to the order include:

1. Any services listed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) in its Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce
2. Religious services
3. Local government operations
4. Child-care services
5. Youth camps

The following excepted activities must still implement a Health and Safety Policy to include pre-screening of symptoms and temperature checks and must use face coverings where physical distancing is not possible:

6. Recreational sports programs for youths and adults
7. Professional, collegiate, or similar sporting events
8. Swimming pools
9. Water parks
10. Museums and libraries
11. Zoos, aquariums, natural caverns, and similar facilities
12. Rodeos and equestrian events
13. Amusement parks and carnivals

The City of San Antonio will continue to monitor the warning and progress indicators as outlined at covid19.sanantonio.gov to determine whether additional mitigation measures are necessary.