Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The balls on this guy - when it's incredibly obvious that the whole thing is an excuse to take the author's inflation/feeder fetish out for walkies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

I cannot imagine this isn't the first time they've tried to hide behind 'the creator is bisexual how dare you.'

This Jeff person came out of tweet-retirement (6 months of silence) to post this?

(their last tweet was responding to a criticsm of their Zak-defending blog by saying that "when in doubt, [I] feel that sticking with a friend is the best move")

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Ah yes, I knew I remembered him from a truly garbage take in the past but I couldn't remember what it was.

And yes, OSR people love to wheel out the creator's sexuality to defend that module. I mean, even if you go 'fine, I guess the weird sex parts of the module get a pass because the creator's bisexual' you're still left with the racism.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dawgstar posted:

I cannot imagine this isn't the first time they've tried to hide behind 'the creator is bisexual how dare you.'

That was the primary rallying cry when it won and people were all "WTF!?" Zak of course crowed about it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

This Jeff person came out of tweet-retirement (6 months of silence) to post this?

(their last tweet was responding to a criticsm of their Zak-defending blog by saying that "when in doubt, [I] feel that sticking with a friend is the best move")

Jeff Reints should really know better than to continue to advertise the fact that he is a giant dumbass who can't recognize sex pests and awful people to a degree that is, frankly, shocking.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

That was the primary rallying cry when it won and people were all "WTF!?" Zak of course crowed about it.

I actually read LotFP to see what all the fuss was about - I saw someone twitter having a meltdown over 'the greatest RPG of all time' going away because people were mean to Zak and I got curious.

It's incredibly bad in general, but there's full color, full page art in the book of a woman being gangraped to death and non-full color art of an inflated woman being raped inside-out while she's being cooked alive and people chew off her breasts. That should tell you everything you need to know about it.

They also seem to love art of 'things your character cannot possibly do'. A page away from a rant about how you can't use a weapon and cast a spell there's art of someone's self-insert doing just that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That Old Tree posted:

I mean, that was his argument when his lovely rear end vampire visual novel came out. Basically amounted to "It doesn't matter how weird, gross, and skeevy a piece of media is, if a LGBTQ creator so much as farted near it at some point in it's creation it is good praxis. And not buying it is bigotry."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

I mean, that was his argument when his lovely rear end vampire visual novel came out. Basically amounted to "It doesn't matter how weird, gross, and skeevy a piece of media is, if a LGBTQ creator so much as farted near it at some point in it's creation it is good praxis. And not buying it is bigotry."

Yeah, he's got a storied history of DARVO and "my X friend."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I took a quick look at Rients’ blog, linked from his twitter profile. Just last year, a few posts back in the timeline is a handwringing defense of Zak, with nearly 400 comments on it, and Zak on full Debate Me mode within.

So yeah, Rients’ opinion isn’t worth much.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 22, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Green Intern posted:

I took a quick look at Rients’ blog, linked from his twitter profile. Just last year, a few posts back in the timeline is a handwringing defense of Zak, with nearly 400 comments on it, and Zak on full Debate Me mode within.

So yeah, Rients’ opinion isn’t worth much.

Our boy Jeff continues his amazing opinion track in that thread, too.

An Actual Thing Jeff Said Presumably With a Straight Face posted:

If you can't successfully distinguish players from characters then RPGs might not be the best choice of entertainment for you. Just my opinion.

It's the PCs involved in the berry rape orgy, not the players you lackwit, you utter buffoon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

It's the PCs involved in the berry rape orgy, not the players you lackwit, you utter buffoon.

Make a compartmentalization and dissociation check, ooh sorry you rolled a 1, you can't play anymore today.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't he edit a lot of things for them, as well?

Raggi released some book called "Zak S Had Nothing To Do With This Book" either at GenCon last year, or just heavily advertised it while moaning that people were being mean to Zak.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Unacceptable thing is acceptable because it has a LGBTQ+ connection" is pretty loving *phobic.

There's no path to that idea which doesn't plow through "Well, what can you expect from degenerates?"

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Dawgstar posted:

I was fond of his post where he did the whole 'I'm just asking this leading question so that when you give the obvious answer I can spring my rhetorical trap, I am very intelligent' thing.

He is a tedious man, best forgotten.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Mmmm, yes. If you can't distinguish between fantasy and reality maybe you shouldn't play RPGs. Anyways, this is my sex dungeon and juicing machine.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God I loving hate that Jeff has poo poo the bed so thoroughly because he was one of the people who got me into old school D&D.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Anyone got that picture of Rients dressed as the camel-toe lady from the Exalted book? It’s :discourse:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gatto Grigio posted:

Anyone got that picture of Rients dressed as the camel-toe lady from the Exalted book? It’s :discourse:

:eyepop:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/worldofdarkness/status/1277959166770855936

This must be like a dagger straight into Martin's heart and I couldn't be happier.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kurieg posted:

This must be like a dagger straight into Martin's heart and I couldn't be happier.

Mind breaking this down for those of us not in the loop?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Kurieg posted:

Is there anything known about this individual?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

StratGoatCom posted:

Is there anything known about this individual?

Justin Achilli was the line developer for Vampire (both Masquerade and Requiem) for about 20 years. He made the game good. This is a very good thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

xiw posted:

PYF Jim Holloway art :(

This image is still the perfect encapsulation of Paranoia to me:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Martin Ericsson is the man who leveraged friends and industry connections to convince Paradox to buy out the White Wolf brand from CCP and then put him in charge so that he could create a new edition of vampire that's more in line with what he liked when he was younger. The tradgaming equivilent of a Coke Employee convincing his friend at Pepsi to buy coke out then put him in charges so that he can make New Coke again. he then proceeded to show his entire rear end and spin a narrative that he was somehow the true inheritor of Mark Rein*Hagen's vision, and that Vampire basically did not exist from 2003 until he was put in charge and was in the hands of "pussies" who didn't want to publish a 9/11 supplement. He hired Pantshitter to write a really really really bad visual novel set in the Vampire universe (and then made a Blogpost saying that all the people who accused him of sexual harassment were liars), created a LARP with such wonderful taglines as "Don't come if you plan on saying no", and republished an old Vampire fiction anthology with stories written by a child rapist while adding a new story written by himself with the line "Stirring my groinsblood to full rear end-rape stiffness."
He was finally ousted from the company after causing a real loving international incident with a book that claimed that the leader of Chechnya was a secret ISIS vampire who's actual real world pogrom against gay people was just a cover for him and all his other ISIS vampire friends to feed from an underclass.

Justin Achilli is the man who ran the White Wolf/Onyx Path Vampire lines from 1997 until now, and the man who wrote New York By Night (which was published November of 2001) with a foreword indicating that to make a game capitalizing on the deaths of 9/11 would be crass and terrible. So he is literally the man who made Vampire the game that Ericsson claims to love, not Mark Rein*hagen.

He's just been hired to steer the vanity project that Martin got fired from for being a pile of garbage that likes to dress like Dracula.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ericsson would be Sweedish Dracula, yes?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Correct, Swedracula's actual name is Martin Ericsson.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kurieg posted:

Justin Achilli is the man who ran the White Wolf/Onyx Path Vampire lines from 1997 until now, and the man who wrote New York By Night (which was published November of 2001) with a foreword indicating that to make a game capitalizing on the deaths of 9/11 would be crass and terrible. So he is literally the man who made Vampire the game that Ericsson claims to love, not Mark Rein*hagen.

He's just been hired to steer the vanity project that Martin got fired from for being a pile of garbage that likes to dress like Dracula.

Also, per rumours, Ericcson had a huge chip on his shoulder about Achilli because of the latter being actually a good writer and popular and known in the industry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

What's funny about that is Justin absolutely had his moments of being young and edgy and tryhard (but it was twenty years ago, so understandable) while working on Vampire but even then he knew trying to make 9/11 supernatural was a bad idea in a terrible myriad of dumb ways.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

What's funny about that is Justin absolutely had his moments of being young and edgy and tryhard (but it was twenty years ago, so understandable) while working on Vampire but even then he knew trying to make 9/11 supernatural was a bad idea in a terrible myriad of dumb ways.

Of course. Of course vampire in the 90s was dumb and edgy. It was an RPG made in the 90s. But the game, it's creators, and it's players have grown and changed over the years.

Martin hated this, of course, and wanted his dumb edgy 90s RPG back.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Excellent. Now Achilli can simply declare Requiem the flagship WoD game and we can put this all behind us.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Probably the last time Zak von Pantshitter needed to look at the password list under his keyboard.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

Justin Achilli is the man who ran the White Wolf/Onyx Path Vampire lines from 1997 until now

To be clear, he was in charge up until the first half or so of Requiem 1e. I don't remember if there was anyone in between, but latter Requiem 1e and the 2e core were developed by Rose Bailey. Then Achilli came back for V20.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ferrinus posted:

Excellent. Now Achilli can simply declare Requiem the flagship WoD game and we can put this all behind us.

Oberst would detonate like the psychic squid from that one 90s comic.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As much as I prefer CoD to its various counterparts and predecessors, given the opportunity I'd love to see yet another iteration that took a few significant steps towards simplification (but not like nuOld WoD).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't want to think what WoD would do with Requiem for a Dream :stare:

bvd for a vial of crack.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

That Old Tree posted:

To be clear, he was in charge up until the first half or so of Requiem 1e. I don't remember if there was anyone in between, but latter Requiem 1e and the 2e core were developed by Rose Bailey. Then Achilli came back for V20.

Requiem’s developers, in order, were Justin (until about halfway though),Will Hindmarch (up to Damnation City), Joe Carriker (up to Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners), Rose, and now Danielle Harper.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Maybe I'm out of the loop or the Ennies have changed but don't you have to submit your work to be selected by the judges?

Why was it submitted in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos