Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

Holy poo poo get The Good Dinosaur off that list. That movie rocks and gets better with each viewing. I know it went through production hell, but after having watched it 45 times during the pandemic (my 1 year old is mesmerized by TGD and Moana) it's super solid.

I mean, I watched it once and thought it was...fine, but mostly boring and forgettable. Is it really worth watching again? I don't remember anything worth revisiting from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, I watched it once and thought it was...fine, but mostly boring and forgettable. Is it really worth watching again? I don't remember anything worth revisiting from it.

That was my initial viewing experience as well. But the more I watch it and it feels like such a departure from tone/pace of most Disney or Pixar films.

And the more I watch it the more I embrace it. The pacing feels very reflective of the environment it takes place in. It's just a nice quiet movie with a great little story/message and fabulous score and scenery!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

i thought he dies super early in that, are they hiding that as a twist now?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Peanut President posted:

i thought he dies super early in that, are they hiding that as a twist now?

Probably not. As someone mentioned in the comments, it's likely just stacked to show black representation. Although that's pretty drat disingenuous if for most of the movie he's represented as a blue glowing blob.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They’ll probably frame it as flashbacks and bounce between dead and living moments.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Gerard Butler stars in a movie where a comet is approaching earth and the populace apparently never remotely considers it could end poorly.

https://youtu.be/1AyxdYP1SNc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That animation is loving crazy.

I'm excited for it because Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are doing music for it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

Gerard Butler stars in a movie where a comet is approaching earth and the populace apparently never remotely considers it could end poorly.

This is just embarrassing after These Final Hours.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trump knew.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I mean, at some point, I kind of just want to see Gerard Butler face a world ending event and go "loving good!" and just sit on his porch and watch the world burn. This looks pretty dire, though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

This is just embarrassing after These Final Hours.

These Final Hours was filmed where I live, it was a bizarre feeling to see the place I live in a movie like that. The sound design in that movie was amazing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Moreau posted:

I mean, at some point, I kind of just want to see Gerard Butler face a world ending event and go "loving good!" and just sit on his porch and watch the world burn. This looks pretty dire, though.

Melancholia, but a drunk and sassy Gerard Butler in the Kirsten Dunst role

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I really want to be excited for this, but Pixar's output has been pretty poo poo for a while now. Like, in the last decade, they've had Coco, Brave, Toy Story 3 (technically over a decade ago, but only by like 2 weeks), and a bunch of poo poo. (Inside Out was okay.) Toy Story 4 was aggressively bad, and Onward was just mediocre in a way Disney movies used to be, before Pixar came along and broke the mold. Now...meh. Like, Cars 2, Monsters University, The Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3, and the aforementioned Toy Story 4 and Onward. What the hell happened? Admittedly, I did not see Incredibles 2, because I heard it wasn't great, and I couldn't do that to myself.

Also, way to bury the lede with that trailer.

Wait what was wrong with Coco?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think they're saying that Coco, Brave, and TS3 were good. They also forgot about Moana, which is unforgivable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think they're saying that Coco, Brave, and TS3 were good. They also forgot about Moana, which is unforgivable.

This is indeed what I was saying. But Moana wasn't Pixar, it was Disney proper. I was talking about Pixar. Moana is my favorite Disney proper animated movie ever.

Coco is great. It was one of the 3 Pixar successes of the past decade I was citing.

Clearly my post was unclear. Sorry about that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

This is indeed what I was saying. But Moana wasn't Pixar, it was Disney proper. I was talking about Pixar. Moana is my favorite Disney proper animated movie ever.

Coco is great. It was one of the 3 Pixar successes of the past decade I was citing.

Clearly my post was unclear. Sorry about that.

Oh my bad, it appears that I don't actually know the difference between Pixar and Disney proper (I figured Coco was produced by Disney as well).

All that being said, I think that Soul looks like it was produced with more of a 'Coco' sensibility than a 'Cars 2' one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh my bad, it appears that I don't actually know the difference between Pixar and Disney proper (I figured Coco was produced by Disney as well).

All that being said, I think that Soul looks like it was produced with more of a 'Coco' sensibility than a 'Cars 2' one.

Coco was produced by Disney as well. Basically, all Pixar movies are also produced by Disney, but not all animated Disney movies are done by Pixar.

Pixar made/Disney produced examples
Coco
Brave
Toy Story 1/2/3/4
Cars 1/2/3
Finding Nemo 1/2
Inside Out
Onward
Brave
etc.

Disney made examples
Moana
Frozen 1/2
Wreck It Ralph 1/2
Big Hero 6
Zootopia
Bolt
etc.

There's even a (very funny) joke about this in the Wreck It Ralph sequel where none of the Disney Princesses can understand Merida (the princess from Brave) due to her thick Scottish accent, and someone says it's because, "She's from the other studio."

Fine line, but different studios actually making the movies. It's said they have a "hard line" between the companies, even if Disney owns Pixar, and neither "company" can "bail out" the either by borrowing personnel. Pixar traditionally had a much better track record, but my original point was that over the last decade, I feel like Pixar has only really had 3 home runs, Coco, Brave, and Toy Story 3.

I hope Soul is a return to form. But I have my doubts.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 30, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Moana is legit the best animated Disney (proper) movie ever. It's so good. As I mentioned earlier, I've seen it and The Good Dinosaur about twice a day every day for the past 4 months. My daughter was big into Moana a few years ago as well so I got about another 40 viewings there.

So I've seen it probably, literally, almost 100 times and have never gotten tired of it even a bit. The songs are great, the characters are powerful and the resolution with the "villain" is fantastic. It's a nearly perfect film and I hate how it just doesn't get the love that the Frozen's etc get.

edit: It's also so pretty in places it hurts

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

Moana is legit the best animated Disney (proper) movie ever. It's so good. As I mentioned earlier, I've seen it and The Good Dinosaur about twice a day every day for the past 4 months. My daughter was big into Moana a few years ago as well so I got about another 40 viewings there.

So I've seen it probably, literally, almost 100 times and have never gotten tired of it even a bit. The songs are great, the characters are powerful and the resolution with the "villain" is fantastic. It's a nearly perfect film and I hate how it just doesn't get the love that the Frozen's etc get.

edit: It's also so pretty in places it hurts

Totally, it's a perfect movie.

edit: Well, that "tweeting" joke isn't great. But other than that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah my friend's kid wanted to listen to You're Welcome on repeat the entire time I was at their house the other day, and it never even got old. Everything about that movie and soundtrack is just so good and charming.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My tattoo artist put on Moana for my 1st session and I am pretty sure that's why it was so chill. The movie rules so hard and the music is perfection.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Yeah my friend's kid wanted to listen to You're Welcome on repeat the entire time I was at their house the other day, and it never even got old. Everything about that movie and soundtrack is just so good and charming.

God drat it, I just now had to go find it on You Tube and listen to it. AGAIN.

Here. You're welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DijItQXMM

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thrawn527 posted:

There's even a (very funny) joke about this in the Wreck It Ralph sequel where none of the Disney Princesses can understand Merida (the princess from Brave) due to her thick Scottish accent, and someone says it's because, "She's from the other studio."

I still remember the feeling I had in that film when the princess stuff happened that finally, this movie might finally get worthwhile. But no, a 5 minute awesome sequence in an absolutely garbage film.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fake news

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Have they ever talked about any supplementary Moana content on Disney+? I get that Frozen is a license to print money but I'd love to see a series or even a meta Lego offshoot like Lego Frozen: Northern Lights.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still remember the feeling I had in that film when the princess stuff happened that finally, this movie might finally get worthwhile. But no, a 5 minute awesome sequence in an absolutely garbage film.

It really does feel like that entire movie was made with that scene being written first, and then written out from there just to justify it. It's a great scene, but pointless otherwise.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hot take, I liked Princess and the Frog WAY more than Moana

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hot take, I liked Princess and the Frog WAY more than Moana

Not necessarily a hot take, they're both great films. A lot of it comes down to if you prefer 2D vs. 3D animation, and what style of music you prefer. But there's no losers in which movie you like better. They're both much better than the older traditional animated Disney movies.

Personally, I like Moana not even bringing a romantic subplot up even once, which is refreshing as hell for a Disney movie, and the message of how Moana "defeats" the movie's "villain", as where Princess and the Frog has a bit more of a traditional arc, romantic lead, and villain, even if she absolutely has more agency and leads the story more than those traditional movies. But Princess and the Frog also came first, and you wouldn't have Moana without Tiana. Also, the music in Princess and the Frog slaps.

My 4 year old daughter loves both. Her favorite Princess to meet at Disney World by far is Tiana (there isn't anywhere to meet Moana that I'm aware of yet, though there's a Moana area being built soon at Epcot.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was unaware that people hate Toy Story 4 which I enjoyed.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I wish Moana had a proper villain. And the part with the Kakamora is unnecessary and seems to be in the film just because there hadn't been an action set piece for a while so they added coconut pirates.

But yes, it's a great movie.

Inside Out has been my favorite Pixar movie from the last several years.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Friends on the Other Side owns.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

thrawn527 posted:

Not necessarily a hot take, they're both great films. A lot of it comes down to if you prefer 2D vs. 3D animation, and what style of music you prefer. But there's no losers in which movie you like better. They're both much better than the older traditional animated Disney movies.

Personally, I like Moana not even bringing a romantic subplot up even once, which is refreshing as hell for a Disney movie, and the message of how Moana "defeats" the movie's "villain", as where Princess and the Frog has a bit more of a traditional arc, romantic lead, and villain, even if she absolutely has more agency and leads the story more than those traditional movies. But Princess and the Frog also came first, and you wouldn't have Moana without Tiana. Also, the music in Princess and the Frog slaps.

My 4 year old daughter loves both. Her favorite Princess to meet at Disney World by far is Tiana (there isn't anywhere to meet Moana that I'm aware of yet, though there's a Moana area being built soon at Epcot.)

I was mostly being flippant, but yeah, I'm an absolute sucker for Disney trying to cling to the 2D animation for another go, plus that soundtrack absolutely spoke to me. The romance point is a great one though!

kiimo posted:

I was unaware that people hate Toy Story 4 which I enjoyed.

This is insane to me, as much as I understand why people would be tired of the franchise, and I do think it's run its course, I also would've said that after the third one. TS3 was a great capstone to the original stories, but the TS4 came along and showed how Woody could grow and reinvent himself (like, AGAIN) and have it be a touching, lovely journey. Plus, to relate it back to thrawn527's note on the resolution to the plot in Moana, the villain wins and it's a good thing! It's actually super sweet and touching! TS4 floored me that they could keep coming back to the same well and have it continue to be wonderful to both me and my daughter, I absolutely hold it in the same regard as its predecessors.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BlueBayou posted:

Inside Out makes me ugly cry for like... 60% of the film

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is insane to me, as much as I understand why people would be tired of the franchise, and I do think it's run its course, I also would've said that after the third one. TS3 was a great capstone to the original stories, but the TS4 came along and showed how Woody could grow and reinvent himself (like, AGAIN) and have it be a touching, lovely journey. Plus, to relate it back to thrawn527's note on the resolution to the plot in Moana, the villain wins and it's a good thing! It's actually super sweet and touching! TS4 floored me that they could keep coming back to the same well and have it continue to be wonderful to both me and my daughter, I absolutely hold it in the same regard as its predecessors.

Okay I feel less crazy now. I thought it was wildly inventive and enjoyable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BlueBayou posted:

I wish Moana had a proper villain. And the part with the Kakamora is unnecessary and seems to be in the film just because there hadn't been an action set piece for a while so they added coconut pirates.

But yes, it's a great movie.

The Kakamora are there to basically serve as a consequence to Moana's initial hubris. When she first presents the heart of Te Fiti to Maui he's trying to caution her against waving it around. So far, she's under the assumption she's in control and her journey will be way easier than it is. She keeps, literally, yelling about having the heart and Maui is trying to get her to quiet down. Then the Kakamora show up and he says, sarcastically, "I wonder what they're here for?"

Also it's a great sequence that was directly inspired by Mad Max according to the directors.

I like the villain because Moana is, obviously, inspired by Polynesian island colonization (moreso it is a fictional explanation of the end of "The Great Pause" - a real event where there was a significant, 2000 year, pause of island hopping) and a lot of that culture is of course about the relationship to nature. So it seems to fit right in.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

kiimo posted:

Okay I feel less crazy now. I thought it was wildly inventive and enjoyable.

I like TS4 more than TS3 (which I feel is mostly a lesser re-hash of similar plot points from the second film, with an admittedly emotional capstone at the end)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vintersorg posted:

My tattoo artist put on Moana for my 1st session and I am pretty sure that's why it was so chill.

But you'd gone in to get a skull with a rose between its teeth.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
TS2 > TS3 > TS > TS4

I’ve only seen TS4 once, but I remember thinking it had a real “direct-to-video” vibe to it.

Also, even though Cars 2 is one of only three Pixar movies I haven’t seen (Good Dinosaur and Onward being the other two), I feel confident in saying Cars 3 is easily the best of that bunch and one of Pixar’s better movies of the 10’s.

Seriously, don’t sleep on Cars 3.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was in a really depressive funk when I watched Toy Story 4, so my reaction to a character whose suicidal ideation was played as a joke getting over it by realizing his calling in life is eternal servitude really kinda hosed me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
TS3 completed the arc of the whole series, IMO, and TS4 felt like an epilogue that was well-done, but unnecessary. I enjoyed TS4 but the story ended after the 3rd.