Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Bender...dead? :ohdear:

Empty Sandwich posted:

You're banned from this historical society! You, and your children, and your children's children!

For three months.

:lol:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah pretty much the only episodes of Bob's Burgers I can recall quickly are the ones with Mr. Fishodor and his brother. Other than that, individual songs stand out.

I wonder if Central Park is any good.

It's a musical which is... not my thing. I was kinda excited to watch it before I found that out

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

turned on a stream and the episode is one where Lisa and a bunch of "goth coders" who are all slim, attractive 20-something women with short dyed hair and makeup and 80s trenchcoats invent an AI that can tell you the consequences of your internet posts. then the AI starts to become neurotic and upset and Lisa has to coach it while trying to build a replacement or something, and now she's presenting it at some kind of thing hosted by professor frink

this is the second episode that involves Lisa becoming a coding genius and making a world-changing app, after the horrible lovely one where they parodied that social network movie

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Frog Act posted:

turned on a stream and the episode is one where Lisa and a bunch of "goth coders" who are all slim, attractive 20-something women with short dyed hair and makeup and 80s trenchcoats [...] this is the second episode that involves Lisa becoming a coding genius and making a world-changing app, after the horrible lovely one where they parodied that social network movie

One of those episodes I only know about from listening to the Worst Episode Ever podcast. Kaitlin Olson guest-starred, and their general opinion was that she did a good job despite the rest of the episode being poo poo.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it wasn't the most grating guest star, not even in the top 15, so i suppose that's something.

the next episode up on the stream is "teenage mutant milk-caused hurdles", 27x11, and it seems to be a rehash of the various "pretty young teacher arrives at springfield elementary and the boys like/girls dislike her" but also something is wrong with the milk

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Frog Act posted:

it wasn't the most grating guest star, not even in the top 15, so i suppose that's something.

the next episode up on the stream is "teenage mutant milk-caused hurdles", 27x11, and it seems to be a rehash of the various "pretty young teacher arrives at springfield elementary and the boys like/girls dislike her" but also something is wrong with the milk

e: this one, too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

One of those episodes I only know about from listening to the Worst Episode Ever podcast. Kaitlin Olson guest-starred, and their general opinion was that she did a good job despite the rest of the episode being poo poo.

I was going to ask if there was a third sister, but that's Olsen isn't it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There is a third sister and she's banging the robot avengers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I was going to ask if there was a third sister, but that's Olsen isn't it

The third Olsen is the only one still acting, I believe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably hot take: Krusty works so well because he is a clown. In the meta sense. A clown is a perverse figure- in that they do everything wrong. They stumble with basic tasks, and turn complex ones into clusterfucks. They do normal things in ridiculous ways, and the only things they do reliably are silly things. They invite all manner of retribution and consequences, and yet walk away from it all with no apparent damage.

Pretty much every instance of The Krusty The Clown Show is something going wrong, or something fundamentally poorly thought out and/or completely at odds with what a TV show about a clown should be. (see Classic Krusty. Clearly he took a while to find his feet) Krusty does a great job of portraying a jaded, burnt-out, semi-literate celebrity with too much money chasing ruinous and scandalous personal habits, and relying on stolen Steve Martin bits and poorly-timed slapstick that becomes funny because it never goes right.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have no powerful feelings on the Bart as a Naval Recruiter Boyband episode but the joke of "superliminal" messaging where he just yells out a window at a random person to join the navy makes me laugh to this day

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

A CEO who's a dumbass who stumbled into success off of other peoples' smarts? How unbelievable!

That actually doesn't line up at all, the stereotype is idiot relative ruins successful business due to nepotism.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the Lt. LT Smash joke and the two instances with the MAD magazine writers were funny

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A clown is a perverse figure- in that they do everything wrong. They stumble with basic tasks, and turn complex ones into clusterfucks. They do normal things in ridiculous ways, and the only things they do reliably are silly things. They invite all manner of retribution and consequences, and yet walk away from it all with no apparent damage ... a jaded, burnt-out, semi-literate celebrity with too much money chasing ruinous and scandalous personal habits.

but enough about lowtax

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Barudak posted:

I have no powerful feelings on the Bart as a Naval Recruiter Boyband episode but the joke of "superliminal" messaging where he just yells out a window at a random person to join the navy makes me laugh to this day

:agreed: HEY YOU, JOIN THE NAVY is a good gag

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The Yvan Eht Nioj episode, the Mel Gibson one, Kill the Alligator and Run, and the Jockey one really stand out as episodes from post-season 10 episodes as being significant writing quality drops and incredibly ominous in retrospect.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Although I agree this was good

Let's hope The Simpsons predicted real life one more time

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AHH F/UGH posted:

Although I agree this was good

Let's hope The Simpsons predicted real life one more time

Dude, posts like this are gonna the get the Feds visiting Lowtax again.

Good work. Carry on.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Whenever I think back on when The Simpsons changed for me, for some reason I usually think of the screamapillar episode first. There have almost certainly been lower points, possibly even in various classic episodes, but man that one stands out as especially terrible to me. Nonsensical plot, awful jokes, a pointless celebrity guest star, all to build up to an extremely lazy comment on reality TV that even at the time seemed hackneyed.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dude, posts like this are gonna the get the Feds visiting Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Laterite posted:

but enough about lowtax

:eyepop:

Obvious in hindsight but loving lol

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Whenever I think back on when The Simpsons changed for me, for some reason I usually think of the screamapillar episode first. There have almost certainly been lower points, possibly even in various classic episodes, but man that one stands out as especially terrible to me. Nonsensical plot, awful jokes, a pointless celebrity guest star, all to build up to an extremely lazy comment on reality TV that even at the time seemed hackneyed.

I (mercifully) forgot that episode existed and I even now only remember the barest outline, but I feel as though this is a deep Simpsons Truth

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The only thing I remember about the Screamapillar episode was the Screamapillar in a wheelchair wearing a neck brace, which I found hilarious. I can't vouch for any other part of the episode.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

YeahTubaMike posted:

the Worst Episode Ever podcast.
I hope Jack's doing okay these days, I think about him sometimes

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Daikloktos posted:

I hope Jack's doing okay these days, I think about him sometimes

What's the story?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

yvan eht nioj really bugged me not because of all the reasons listed so far, although that all factors in, but primarily because Lisa is supposed to be really smart, yet even with subtitles, she had to listen to the song several times, then actually play it in reverse to figure out what the message was.

It was obvious to the viewer from the very beginning, but it somehow just flew over her head. It never once occurred to her to just read the subtitled gibberish backward?

I guess the real answer is that most of the viewer base wasn't going to figure it out any other way.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:ughh:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Worst Episode Ever

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't remember much about the boy band episode, but even when I first watched it (I was probably around 12-13?) I remember cringing at the bit where N Sync would make their big entrance by dancing to some random tune before one of them just says "Word!". I know that there had been jokes based around "this is what the celebrity does/is famous for" in much earlier episodes ("What do you mean your work is done, you didn't do anything!" "Heh, didn't I?") but it just seemed super dumb and forced. And if I remember correctly they actually did it more than once.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Bible posted:

yvan eht nioj really bugged me not because of all the reasons listed so far, although that all factors in, but primarily because Lisa is supposed to be really smart, yet even with subtitles, she had to listen to the song several times, then actually play it in reverse to figure out what the message was.

It was obvious to the viewer from the very beginning, but it somehow just flew over her head. It never once occurred to her to just read the subtitled gibberish backward?

I guess the real answer is that most of the viewer base wasn't going to figure it out any other way.

As a child I didn't catch the hidden message until it was spelled out to me, so it seems believable to me!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't remember much about the boy band episode, but even when I first watched it (I was probably around 12-13?) I remember cringing at the bit where N Sync would make their big entrance by dancing to some random tune before one of them just says "Word!". I know that there had been jokes based around "this is what the celebrity does/is famous for" in much earlier episodes ("What do you mean your work is done, you didn't do anything!" "Heh, didn't I?") but it just seemed super dumb and forced. And if I remember correctly they actually did it more than once.

"Those wack invertebrates will sting you -- OLD SCHOOL!" still makes me laugh. That, Lieutenant L.T. Smash, and superliminal messaging are all decent gags.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

"Those wack invertebrates will sting you -- OLD SCHOOL!" still makes me laugh. That, Lieutenant L.T. Smash, and superliminal messaging are all decent gags.

Is the bit with the MAD Magazine guys sitting around a table -

"I know, why don't we just call it Everybody Hates Raymond?"
(everyone laughs)
"It took us all night but it was worth it."

- in the boy band episode or the New York episode? Because I liked that bit.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mr Interweb posted:

the Lt. LT Smash joke and the two instances with the MAD magazine writers were funny

I've always liked superliminal advertising

"Hey, you! Join the Navy!"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Bible posted:

but we know from the dumb male simpsons gene episode that Lisa sucks at word puzzles

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

brugroffil posted:

but we know from the dumb male simpsons gene episode that Lisa sucks at word puzzles

But also that episode where she's a crossword world champion

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

brugroffil posted:

I've always liked superliminal advertising

"Hey, you! Join the Navy!"

Uh.. yeah, all right.

I also like the malevolent grin on L.T. Smash's face as he removes his bleached blonde crew cut wig to reveal his sandy blonde crew cut hair.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The boy band episode had a lot of good gags that came together poorly.

I think the season 9-13 sort of period still had a lot of good jokes and fun scenarios, it just got increasingly detached from reality or any emotional heart. There's stuff to like in those episodes, unlike later seasons where there's just no entertainment to be found at all.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Laughs went from multiple per segment, to multiple per episode, to single per segment, to single per episode and stayed there for a long time before hitting one single laugh every other episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

brugroffil posted:

She can't even think up a decent anagram for Jeremy Irons.