Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Could I get an invite to the discord? getting hyped for 9th, and have questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Into The Mild posted:

Could I get an invite to the discord? getting hyped for 9th, and have questions

You might as well ask them here. Everyone was looking for Discord invites as escape pods in case the forums went away suddenly, which doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
9th has me excited, so i finally got back into painting mode. This is everything i've completed this week.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just want to say I have zero issues with GW defending their copyright. It wasn't a proper C&D anyhow just a polite email with a request.

Also I've tried my first glow effect and I'm trying to step up my painting in general. Using a lot of contrast for glazes but I'm happy with this.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Looks good! I like the subtlety of the splash/glow effect you’ve got going on too. I have a horrible time recognizing when and where to draw the line when I try for that stuff, and it always ends up just looking goofy. Yours really seems to add to the effect without being distracting.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Not gonna lie, those new Eradicator rules make me feel like Fire Dragons have definitely gotten the shaft if they don't get updated something similar.

Double the range on top of thr ability to shoot twice is going to be brutal.

What's next, the new assault Primaris being Striking Scorpions but better?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

jadebullet posted:

They already are, my friend

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

jadebullet posted:

Not gonna lie, those new Eradicator rules make me feel like Fire Dragons have definitely gotten the shaft if they don't get updated something similar.

If Dragons get twice the range, it should be fine. Dragons get less one shot (5 vs 3*2) but more flexibility in how to spread them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Just comparing the Eradicators to multi-melta SoB Retributors makes me a bit sad.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Floppychop posted:

Just comparing the Eradicators to multi-melta SoB Retributors makes me a bit sad.
Similarly, are Sisters ever going to get versions of the fancy bolt carbines that Primaris get or is there fluff against that?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gaussian posted:

Similarly, are Sisters ever going to get versions of the fancy bolt carbines that Primaris get or is there fluff against that?

Guard and Sisters have always been using the 24" ones, and fluff-wise it never really made much sense that a Marine bolter (which is always shown as much much larger) was the same stat-wise as an unaugmented human one?

:shrug:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Gaussian posted:

Fluffwise Sisters have their own traditional-and-probably-sacred Godwyn-De'az Pattern pattern of bolters. And gameplay wise it makes sense to have a difference between them and the more elite primaris toys.

But man, the fact that they are tied to meltas and multi-meltas specifically really blows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

While it would make sense for me to wait until 9th drops to really start, if I was looking to start a Space Wolves army and bought the SC Primaris box what would folks recommend to take it to 1000 points?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you can get a Ragnar somewhere, he absolutely fucks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is that new Inquisitor meant to be half-Eldar or did they botch doing a woman's face? It's an extremely cool model, except for that.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Is that new Inquisitor meant to be half-Eldar or did they botch doing a woman's face? It's an extremely cool model, except for that.

What does your secondary heart tell you?

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

What are you supposed to write on the little scrolls that sometimes appear on space marines armour and equipment?
My captain has one on his bolt rifle and the librarian has one on his shoulder.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I usually just put random squiggles. Like a kid pretending to write.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Psyber Spine posted:

What are you supposed to write on the little scrolls that sometimes appear on space marines armour and equipment?
My captain has one on his bolt rifle and the librarian has one on his shoulder.

If you aren't drawing a big ol' space-dong you are doing it wrong.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Schadenboner posted:

Guard and Sisters have always been using the 24" ones, and fluff-wise it never really made much sense that a Marine bolter (which is always shown as much much larger) was the same stat-wise as an unaugmented human one?

The bolt shell does all the work, it's a tiny rocket. The marine ones are bigger because the models would look silly otherwise.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I mean she's supposed to be a huge Eldar weeb, so kind of? Although I agree that's the weakest part of the model, I'd probably consider a headswap.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
People with otherwise normal heads always appear more bulbous and weird shaved bald, I know this from experience. I think a lot of what people find off about the model can be traced back to her baldness. That's not to say she shouldn't be bald.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

The bolt shell does all the work, it's a tiny rocket. The marine ones are bigger because the models would look silly otherwise.

I think in the fluff the Space Marine bolters do fire bigger bullets etc and generally the Inquisitors etc holding a bolt pistol in their human hand is some sort of artificer pistol that basically makes up for bullet size with quality.

Sisters I think technically should wield massive bolt guns using their enhance strength, but their profile doesn't even include enhanced strength so it's just one of those things where in the RPGs you'd see a difference as it's more granular but on the tabletop all that is lost.

It's why I loved the model of the sister with a Stormbolter, casually wielded by space marines in one hand, they needed to lug it around in two.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

What did Tilda Swinton ever do to you?

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Went into GW today to exchange some unopened Tau boxes for more Admech. I was thinking about picking up one pack of Death Guard Plague marines, I noticed that they didn't have any, I asked the clerk why, and he said that he didn't know but "hey would you like the last Dark Imperium boxed set in the whole country" ....

... So now I have a lot of Death Guard

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
What are you going to do with your rare and valuable Gravis Captain and Primaris Ancient?

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Paddyo posted:

What are you going to do with your rare and valuable Gravis Captain and Primaris Ancient?

My 4 year old will paint them... she loves the color blue.

.... wait rare and valuable?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Into The Mild posted:

My 4 year old will paint them... she loves the color blue.

.... wait rare and valuable?

For the brief moment between Dark Imperium being "No Longer Available" and the models being repurposed and reboxed into Start Collecting: Primaris Space Marines and Start Collecting: Death Guard, there will be no official way to purchase those two models (as well as some of the Death Guard characters).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Paddyo posted:

The new Chaos lord model was just a ton of fun to paint. I love his pose too - guy looks like he really has something to say!

Isn't that Chaos Lord figure usually unhelmed? Did you convert him yourselves or is that an option.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Isn't that Chaos Lord figure usually unhelmed? Did you convert him yourselves or is that an option.

Did a bit of carving with the ol' razor knife. Used it to get the Black Legion symbol off the shoulder pad too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

For the brief moment between Dark Imperium being "No Longer Available" and the models being repurposed and reboxed into Start Collecting: Primaris Space Marines and Start Collecting: Death Guard, there will be no official way to purchase those two models (as well as some of the Death Guard characters).

Gravis Captains are in Know No Fear, but Primaris Ancients are definitely nowhere else.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
They've got the crazy, over the top new ancient coming out in Indomitus, so that original is old news. Remember when people were complaining about the Primaris design being subdued and boring?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Posting the riptide with all the colors blocked in, just gotta do washes and highlights. I did wash the gun because I was waiting for a part to dry and got bored

Definitely the largest thing I've done to date but I'm super proud of it so far

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Strobe posted:

Gravis Captains are in Know No Fear, but Primaris Ancients are definitely nowhere else.

I thought Know No Fear was deprecated with the incoming new edition too. It's sold put right now on the US GE site, but I suppose it is marked as temporary.

Presumably they could just reuse Know No Fear and First Strike as starter sets with updated 9th ed rules.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ashcans posted:

I mean she's supposed to be a huge Eldar weeb, so kind of? Although I agree that's the weakest part of the model, I'd probably consider a headswap.

Yeah, I think a Skitarii helmet might be in order there.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cessna posted:

The Sister of Silence audiobook from 2012 was amazing.

Link

Me: Is there something wrong with this file?

Me, thirty seconds later: Oh, I figured it out. :thejoke:

-

So (un)fortunately, I didn't check the GW's site in time to get the fancy-pants limited-edition Daemonifuge collector's set. The regular comic collection also sold out. Luckily, you can still get pre-order the models, which I will most likely do to add on my ever-growing backlog of minis.

(Those little squares/diamonds look like a nightmare to paint. :gonk:)

Is there any chance the comic collection will get another printing? I'd still like to read it.

I'd also like to ask if the Ephrael Stern & Kyganil minis are limited quantity thing, or if they'll still be around in the future. The last duo mini set I bought was Valerian and Aleya, back on the Black Library Celebration Day, and it looks like those are still being sold. Since 9th Edition is coming down the pipeline, I though maybe the Pariah stuff was going to come and go real quickly. If it isn't limited, I might hold off and wait until I get some other minis done before picking up Stern.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Max Wilco posted:

Is there any chance the comic collection will get another printing? I'd still like to read it.

I'd also like to ask if the Ephrael Stern & Kyganil minis are limited quantity thing, or if they'll still be around in the future. The last duo mini set I bought was Valerian and Aleya, back on the Black Library Celebration Day, and it looks like those are still being sold. Since 9th Edition is coming down the pipeline, I though maybe the Pariah stuff was going to come and go real quickly. If it isn't limited, I might hold off and wait until I get some other minis done before picking up Stern.

comic itself should still be up on amazon and the like, no idea if it'll get another printing. removing the "20th anniversary" text from the cover might be too much effort for GW

so far as I can tell Stern and her buddy are an ordinary release, like Szeras, Bile, etc.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So, I'm strongly considering jumping into 40k again with 9th coming out. I had a blood angels army that I sold a year or so ago which I wish I still had, but rather than jumping back in with those bloody fascist boys I'm thinking of going with the dudes who did nothing wrong.

Here's the thing, I have about 4k points worth of Tzeentch demons for AoS. Is it viable to buy like one 1k Sons Start Collecting to dip my toe back in and filling out the rest of the army with demons, or do demons still suck out loud?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Assessor of Maat posted:

comic itself should still be up on amazon and the like, no idea if it'll get another printing. removing the "20th anniversary" text from the cover might be too much effort for GW

so far as I can tell Stern and her buddy are an ordinary release, like Szeras, Bile, etc.

Maybe I'll wait to get Stern, then. I just bought a Start Collecting box of AoS skeleton, and I still have some models I haven't had a chance to prime yet.

Speaking of Szeras, it looks like they axed the old model, and the Monolith model, which sucks because I wanted both of those.

I know people are probably happy to get updated models, but there were a lot of the old models that I really wanted, like the CSMs before the latest redesign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mikey Purp posted:

So, I'm strongly considering jumping into 40k again with 9th coming out. I had a blood angels army that I sold a year or so ago which I wish I still had, but rather than jumping back in with those bloody fascist boys I'm thinking of going with the dudes who did nothing wrong.

Here's the thing, I have about 4k points worth of Tzeentch demons for AoS. Is it viable to buy like one 1k Sons Start Collecting to dip my toe back in and filling out the rest of the army with demons, or do demons still suck out loud?

Daemons are okay, though Tzeentch Daemons aren't the best of the lot. Still, Smite Spam is a thing that can work, and there are some interesting new tricks in PA: Ritual of the Damned.

And of course, we still don't know for sure how 9th is going to play or, more importantly, how expensive everything is points wise. So 1ksons and Daemons may rock, or they may suck, or they may be middle of the pack. We just don't know yet. :shrug: