Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

mobile suit goatse posted:

the original manga is awesome, the cartoons are really bad and for children and the paper game is a lot of fun

The cartoons are good, but also for children. Well, some of them are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

Let's be honest, none of the cartoons are good for their entirety. They have good parts but are never consistently good for all their run.

SEVENS has been good so far though, episodes keep being funny and dumb. I hope they continue being funny and dumb forever.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

DM is fun and season 0 is cool. I tried a couple episodes of the sequel series' and they're just awful. Removing the occult and ancient Egypt stuff from Yugioh was a dumb and bad move imo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Let's be honest, none of the cartoons are good for their entirety. They have good parts but are never consistently good for all their run.

SEVENS has been good so far though, episodes keep being funny and dumb. I hope they continue being funny and dumb forever.

Obviously none of them are perfect, but I'd say they're overall good. It's way too early to tell with SEVENS, but some of the others are good.

DM is fun and season 0 is cool. I tried a couple episodes of the sequel series' and they're just awful. Removing the occult and ancient Egypt stuff from Yugioh was a dumb and bad move imo.

They all have their extremely serious and impactful card game fights, which is the actual important thing. Like, let's compare to 5D's, which is one of the best Yugioh series, right up there with DM. First off, you have the duels on motorcycles, which is already extremely stupid in an incredible way. But then you have villains that are trying to restore ancient evils as represented by the Nazca Lines. Then later in the series you have an arc where the villains are time travelers from the future. It's just as stupid and fun, it just replaces the source of the goofy high stakes duels.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Obviously none of them are perfect, but I'd say they're overall good. It's way too early to tell with SEVENS, but some of the others are good.

They all have their extremely serious and impactful card game fights, which is the actual important thing. Like, let's compare to 5D's, which is one of the best Yugioh series, right up there with DM. First off, you have the duels on motorcycles, which is already extremely stupid in an incredible way. But then you have villains that are trying to restore ancient evils as represented by the Nazca Lines. Then later in the series you have an arc where the villains are time travelers from the future. It's just as stupid and fun, it just replaces the source of the goofy high stakes duels.

i think i got my fill of all the sequels from playing Legacy of the Duelist like an autistic person both on Xbox and Switch

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Funny this thread came back as I'm thinking of doing a GX rewatch. GX is my favorite YGO series even if I recognize DM is probably better on an "artistic" level.

GX is just great for how wonderfully ironic it is. It looked back at how deadly serious the manga/DM anime made card games and it runs with it to the absurd.
https://reelrundown.com/animation/Most-Insane-Episodes-Of-Yugioh-GX

Years ago I wrote down my favorite lines from the anime, I should actually record them all when I do my rewatch.

Jaden: See, I went to outer space and I chilled with this dolphin-man. Then he gave me these totally rad cards for my deck.
Bastion: Poor guy’s gone mad.
Hassleberry: And I thought dueling a Spanish chef with a bag on his head was weird.

I probably should rewatch 5D's though, at least Dark Signers. I was legitimately impressed with how good tat story was. I think GX was a great silly series and worked really well as a response to DM but 5D's did sort of the same thing except in the opposite direction. Instead of mocking how silly card games are, it tied card games to a dark cyberpunk future. And it worked! It made an honestly compelling narrative out of something so ridiculous.

And I liked Zexal too since it's basically GX 2.0 right down to first season is light-hearted nonsense and then everything gets real dark and grim. Only I think Zexal II pulls it off way better than GX Season 3. I love GX but wish it had ended with Season 2.

And then I stopped watching because I dunno why.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arc V is about a racial holy war based on summoning types and that alone is 10000x better than anything in the OG manga.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Arc V is about a racial holy war based on summoning types and that alone is 10000x better than anything in the OG manga.

Mokuba tried to feed yugi and joey poisoned food on a spinning table and the chapter was called DEADLY RUSSIAN ROULETTE

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Mokuba tried to feed yugi and joey poisoned food on a spinning table and the chapter was called DEADLY RUSSIAN ROULETTE

yeah and Yugi definitely murders a few guys before the manga became 100% about cards

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You, an idiot: Man, the manga changed when it became about card games
Me, an intellectual: The actual big change was Dark Yugi's transition from "force of nature, spirit of vengeance that is above human morality" to "a guy, with emotions and pathos and poo poo"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Everything in the OG Manga was just Akagi but stupid or really dumb complicated games that would be better done by later franchises much much better.

The franchise's tip toward incredibly high stakes melodrama played painfully straight faced while also being about a children's card game is the only reason it was ever noteworthy or stuck around. The Yuya/Jack Atlas duel has more characterization, pathos, set up, pay off and story arc than the entirety of the original manga.

If you really really are that horned up for Season 0/The Manga please go watch Liar Game your brain will melt.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Everything in the OG Manga was just Akagi but stupid or really dumb complicated games that would be better done by later franchises much much better.

The franchise's tip toward incredibly high stakes melodrama played painfully straight faced while also being about a children's card game is the only reason it was ever noteworthy or stuck around. The Yuya/Jack Atlas duel has more characterization, pathos, set up, pay off and story arc than the entirety of the original manga.

If you really really are that horned up for Season 0/The Manga please go watch Liar Game your brain will melt.

If you had said Shun vs. Sora, I'd be with you but ehhhhhhhhhhhh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MJeff posted:

If you had said Shun vs. Sora, I'd be with you but ehhhhhhhhhhhh

That one's also good, but the final Synchro world cup duel is like the last time Yuya's character feels like it is yuya growing and honing his own style of duel by being forced into tight corners by Jack Atlas, who is an unbending Iron Will who wholly believes in what 5D's/Sycnhro world was about. Synchro arc has issues and Draaaaaaaaaaaaaags in the center but the final duel is a fantastic way to see Jack Atlas (and 5Ds) off in style and actually shows how Yuya's coming to terms with his own path to the future he wants to build and what he's gotta do to get there.

Then the next arc is just the downfall of Yuya being a character and it's just not fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yuya's arc in Synchro has a good beginning and end but there's an astounding amount of wheel spinning in the middle. My good friend Jack Atlas being used as Yuya's foil is very strong and good and cool though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm rewatching GX now with a friend and man, wtructurally the show is a mess. Plot beats become relevant or irrelevant at complete random. More characters than you can ever do justice glom onto the main cast. The stakes rarely seem to matter, less in a fun way and more in a confusing way. And it never goes quite as dumb and over the top as it should.

So much potential. But man did it need another pass in editing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Bee posted:

I'm rewatching GX now with a friend and man, wtructurally the show is a mess. Plot beats become relevant or irrelevant at complete random. More characters than you can ever do justice glom onto the main cast. The stakes rarely seem to matter, less in a fun way and more in a confusing way. And it never goes quite as dumb and over the top as it should.

So much potential. But man did it need another pass in editing.

Yugioh has a bad habit of introducing (or promoting) characters in season 2+ as heroes and making them incredibly important. It never really goes well, in my opinion, and if I remember correctly GX does this to a comical degree.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

Yugioh has a bad habit of introducing (or promoting) characters in season 2+ as heroes and making them incredibly important. It never really goes well, in my opinion, and if I remember correctly GX does this to a comical degree.

It happened to Kenzan and, to a much lesser extent, Rei, but the biggest example is undeniably Johan, who could see monster spirits and was chosen by...something...to do who the hell knows. Absolutely nothing comes out of the plotline they set up for him, in spite of him basically becoming Judai's best friend/love interest the moment they meet. The most he does is get possessed by Yubel to serve as Judai's motivation, and then he fades completely into the background in the last arc.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

It happened to Kenzan and, to a much lesser extent, Rei, but the biggest example is undeniably Johan, who could see monster spirits and was chosen by...something...to do who the hell knows. Absolutely nothing comes out of the plotline they set up for him, in spite of him basically becoming Judai's best friend/love interest the moment they meet. The most he does is get possessed by Yubel to serve as Judai's motivation, and then he fades completely into the background in the last arc.

There's also Edo Phoenix and Bonaparte, though it's a little less neat with those two since Bonaparte is basically a joke character, and Edo is a villain for a good chunk of the show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gx I'll always give a pass to because as the first YGO made from the ground up as anime, it very much was trying to figure out what Yugioh was, and so drastic changes on who and what matters year to year make sense. That said, Johan was boyfriend material from day one, so who cares how he gets to see spirits, just that he needed to be saved and then later on stopped Judai from drunk driving his bike into the ocean.

MJeff posted:

You, an idiot: Man, the manga changed when it became about card games
Me, an intellectual: The actual big change was Dark Yugi's transition from "force of nature, spirit of vengeance that is above human morality" to "a guy, with emotions and pathos and poo poo"

This guy gets it. It aligns pretty well when the game focus shifts to duel monster, but Death Tower is the arc that solidifies the manga.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, the closest Duel Monsters has to that is Duke Devlin, and I think he gets a fine amount of screentime for a friend-of-a-friend level group member. Serenity may've been brief in her appearances, but they never pushed her as the Next Big Deal. Tristan and to a lesser extent Tea were firmly in the role of side characters compared to Yugi and Joey. Rebecca got a surprisingly huge push from the filler team. Mai, Rex, and Weevil got a lot of mileage, though I wish Mai wasn't kidnapped so often. Overall series 1 did good!

But then look at GX. Zane has so much set up for him and it goes nowhere. Aster disappears after making a huge impact. Atticus may as well not exist. They barely even tried with Chumley, and flat out turn Bastion into a gag character. Syrus never gets to actually show the growth he should be getting. They hype Blair up a ton, only for her role to be "sits in bed." Hassleberry gets his moment as a core character, then gets slid aside for Different Hassleberry and Jaden 2.

Only Jaden and The Chazz get respect. Maybe Alexis, but none of her duels ever get to matter.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 1, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

if we're gonna get into this,the big one for a lot of people I talk to is how Jaden gets a warning about the villain of Season 2 and then does precisely nothing about it., even as the entire school is brainwashed into the Society of Light. Hell, in the end it was Chazz who unbrainwashed everyone.

But as I already said, GX is something like 60-70% satire. S2 Ending Spoilers: The plot of season 2 is resolved by the dinosaur fossil in a side character's leg transforming them into a dinosaur spirit that goes into space to destroy a satellite that can blow up/mind control the world that was won in a card game from this random prince of a random never heard before country that has unheard of weapon technology.

Sartorious getting a Zero Turn Kill was ffuckin' awesome, though. I liked his whole deck a lot.

And this is whyI dislike Season 3. A lot of these criticisms would be more fitting for DM or 5D's or Season 3 which decided to throw on the brakes and give us all whiplash by rejecting everything the first 120 episodes were built on. It is one of Jaden's great virtues that he is a dumb dumb boy who only cares about card games but then Season 3 is like "JADEN, LEARN SOME RESPONSIBILITY!" To say nothing of Zane becoming a hero again randomly when we last saw him dueling Syrus and...yeah.

Lots of folks like Jessie and Yubel but they are too integral to what I feel ruined GX for me to appreciate them.

I liked Alexis, though and she had done very good duel when she was part of the Society of Light. It was against Jaden of course but, well, I still liked it a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRTlvgRgx6Y

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 1, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thought Ryo's arc was like, the best thing about GX, personally. :shrug:

Well. If it had ended in season 3 like it was supposed to, anyway.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MJeff posted:

I thought Ryo's arc was like, the best thing about GX, personally. :shrug:

Well. If it had ended in season 3 like it was supposed to, anyway.

It's not a bad idea, I like Ryo a lot and his duel with Judai at the end of Season 1 might be my favorite GX duel. I also like how they developed his character in Season 2. It's just how it was executed that bugs me.

Last time we saw him he was having a blast literally torturing his brother. Then he shows up and is a good guy again and nobody says poo poo about EVERYTHING he did in Season 2.

He needed more screentime to help us see him going from A to B, basically. We saw his descent in loving detail, we need the same for his ascent.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GX season 3 sucks, but it did give us a pretty funny dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2tRmGSN9P8

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GX is the worst YGO series and is notable only in how clearly it has no idea what it wants to be and every part of the writing bounces back and forth conatantly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

GX season 3 sucks, but it did give us a pretty funny dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2tRmGSN9P8

Oh yeah, the dub just went all-in on the absurdity even as the show desperately tried to be more serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOv16PlU24c

Echo: He was not born to serve - Adrian was born to rule! Courage, intelligent and honor, nobody has more; and nobody is more underappreciated. He has such value. Adrian can’t see but he, he should head the Gecko Financial Group. And then one day he can rule the entire world!
Pegasus: Ooookay…I was kinda with you until that last bit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

i think i got my fill of all the sequels from playing Legacy of the Duelist like an autistic person both on Xbox and Switch

Please don't use autistic like that

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Please don't use autistic like that

sorry for saying "autistic" in the forum with a rape joke in it's name

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sorry for saying "autistic" in the forum with a rape joke in it's name

pretty sure that joke hasn't been there in a long time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

is that not what the R stands for

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It hasn't been the title since 2014.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

so what does it stand for now then

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anime Dabblers? Tantalizing Recommendations Within!

I liked it when the forum was just called VEGETA

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dabir posted:

so what does it stand for now then

Animated Drawings to Replace Women because lol 2-D superiority, amirite!?

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
i dunno why i got probated for that, are the anime forum mods really that sensitive about this forum's history? It definitely means Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse (hilarious!) It's a terrible name, but it's definitely what the admins named this place.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

i dunno why i got probated for that, are the anime forum mods really that sensitive about this forum's history? It definitely means Anime Death Tentacle Rape Whorehouse (hilarious!) It's a terrible name, but it's definitely what the admins named this place.

No, you were probated for being a snide rear end in a top hat to the other poster and using autistic as a pejorative. Also yes that's the original title, but the acronym has been backronymed for over a decade now. Nobody is trying to cover it up, but you're the only person that's bringing it up to get some cheap jabs in.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Julias posted:

No, you were probated for being a snide rear end in a top hat to the other poster and using autistic as a pejorative. Also yes that's the original title, but the acronym has been backronymed for over a decade now. Nobody is trying to cover it up, but you're the only person that's bringing it up to get some cheap jabs in.

I shouldn't have said that, you're right. If you mods are so sensitive about the forum's name, just change it? Call it the 'anime forum' or something?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I shouldn't have said that, you're right. If you mods are so sensitive about the forum's name, just change it? Call it the 'anime forum' or something?

They did, as the mod said in that post lol.

Just take the L and stop posting like an aggro freak.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

They did, as the mod said in that post lol.

Just take the L and stop posting like an aggro freak.

The gas chamber was renamed, because it's horrible and insensitive. Pretending the acronym of the forum means something different isn't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
This subforum has been really weirdly hostile towards me, so don't worry, I won't be posting here anymore.