Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Anyone got a list of the announcements for each month?
Looks like the official job site hasn't updated since the calendar in January.
That went off the rails immediately, lol.

Can’t even blame the pandemic, as i don’t think we even got an announcement in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Sticks is the most canon, and she knows you're trying to get rid of her.

Sega should put Sticks in the main Sonic series :colbert:

Also Tangle and Whisper since they're coming to that mobile game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Those characters suck poo poo compared to Bunnie Rabbot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wonder why the games never included the staple comic characters in any way. I don't mean all of them like Hershey or the skunk or the mammoth (though I will still argue he was cool as hell), but Sally, Rotor, Bunnie and Antoine seem to get the A-OK from Sega for the comic, and were the only ones allowed to survive the Penders Purge (rip Scourge). Is it just too messy legally to cross them over with the games for some reason? I'm also curious why those specifically got to be carried over.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Archie comics were basically marketing for the games and also were never released in Japan (or Europe, right?). Nobody at Sonic Team really knew or cared much about the comic-original characters.

The freedom fighters were in Sonic Spinball though, which was developed entirely by Americans. Of course, that was probably because of the TV show rather than the comics.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sega of Japan and Sega of America didn’t really work in tandem back then. They were at odds sometimes as well. I believe it’s SoA that convinced Japan to do a Streets of Rage sequel, for instance.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

from what I hear SoJ and SoA hate each other's guts to this day because they both blame each other for loving up the Saturn

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m sure it was mostly SoA’s doing that we got stuff like Mania, Wonder Boy remakes, Streets of Rage 4 and that upcoming Alex Kidd remake.

SoJ just seems to care about Yakuza and lovely 3D Sonic games these days. Yakuza rules at least.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dabir posted:

from what I hear SoJ and SoA hate each other's guts to this day because they both blame each other for loving up the Saturn

The current SoA is pretty much unrelated to the old one so I’m pretty sure there’s no bad blood now. SoJ calls the shots now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Has there been anything about a sequel to Sonic Mania? I know Sega is generally dumb but I can't imagine them not wanting a follow up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Has there been anything about a sequel to Sonic Mania? I know Sega is generally dumb but I can't imagine them not wanting a follow up.

No and it doesn’t seem like it’s happening in the mean time due to all the key people working on other projects.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sonic Team is dumb as bricks and will never capitalize on the success and reception of mania. Too bad, it would be cool to have a run of “classic” style games alongside the modern ones.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That sucks. They make a good game after over two decades and just shrug.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sonic fans can't seem to decide what Sonic games they want, so I'm sure Sonic Team struggles to even consider what direction to take things in.

What do people want more? Adventure 3? A Rush successor? Mania 2? Sonic and the Black Knight sequel? Chao Garden Mobile Game? There's a huge number of people who unironically Big the Cat fishing. It's tough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mania 2 is the only acceptable answer there.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Mania was good. Forces wasn't so good, but people liked it, and that always happens anyway so it's not a big deal to me. I'm fine with Forces setting a framework for the IDW series to continue from, and the comics have been consistently good, unlike the Archie series that eventually became good, but was too plagued with problems for the story or characters to realistically appear in anything else. The IDW series is actually being published in Japan, so I could more easily see Tangle and Whisper show up in later, mainline titles than any of the defunct SatAM/Archie crew. Time's arrow and all that. Or maybe they'll only show up in spin-off and mobile games. It's something, and I don't think they'd have been cleared to show up if SoJ saw any problems with it.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Sonic fans can't seem to decide what Sonic games they want, so I'm sure Sonic Team struggles to even consider what direction to take things in.

What do people want more? Adventure 3? A Rush successor? Mania 2? Sonic and the Black Knight sequel? Chao Garden Mobile Game? There's a huge number of people who unironically Big the Cat fishing. It's tough.

Yes to all.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Mania 2. That's literally all I want.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

dont put the SATAM cast in, but do put in Amy's Sonic the Comic look

It's so good

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Also put in their version of Super Sonic which separated from Sonic and was a murderous psychopath.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Skeletome posted:

dont put the SATAM cast in, but do put in Amy's Sonic the Comic look

It's so good

The reason her hair ended up like that was because when Amy was introduced to the comic, they only had this concept art from Sonic CD to base the character on and they misinterpreted her head turning round as the way her hair should be.

A big part of Sonic the Comic was taking mistakes or non-canon stuff and forging it into pure gold.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I can't tell if this post is serious.

I think people want a good Sonic game, there is one game among these that would be a sequel to a good sonic game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
That's a huge endorsement for Sonic and the Black Knight 2!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hogama posted:

:hai:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They coulda had a Sonic Mania 2 (or equivalent) ready for the 30th anniversary but alas.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Oxyclean posted:

I can't tell if this post is serious.

I think people want a good Sonic game, there is one game among these that would be a sequel to a good sonic game.

I think the point is more that the Sonic fanbase is badly, badly fractured and as a result it's really hard to please one group without disappointing another. There are fans out there who weren't even born when Sonic & Knuckles came out, and genuinely don't give a poo poo about Sonic Mania. I know it's hosed up, I know they're wrong, I know his name is ROBOTNIK, goddamn it, but they're still out there, giving Sega their money.

Just personally speaking I grew up in a Nintendo household, so 2D Sonic gameplay holds little nostalgia appeal to me. I think I would genuinely be happiest if Sega one day learned to actually iterate on the few times it got 3D Sonic close to right and somehow released a great new Sonic Adventure or something, with tight gameplay and an engaging story. It likely won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it's wild thinking there were 23 years between good games and how many people were born and became fans of the bad ones in the interim. I guess it's like the Star Wars prequels in a way.

I too would like a good 3D Sonic but some dude working in the Doom engine did better than Sega has thus far.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fred is on posted:

I think the point is more that the Sonic fanbase is badly, badly fractured and as a result it's really hard to please one group without disappointing another. There are fans out there who weren't even born when Sonic & Knuckles came out, and genuinely don't give a poo poo about Sonic Mania. I know it's hosed up, I know they're wrong, I know his name is ROBOTNIK, goddamn it, but they're still out there, giving Sega their money.

Just personally speaking I grew up in a Nintendo household, so 2D Sonic gameplay holds little nostalgia appeal to me. I think I would genuinely be happiest if Sega one day learned to actually iterate on the few times it got 3D Sonic close to right and somehow released a great new Sonic Adventure or something, with tight gameplay and an engaging story. It likely won't happen, but it's nice to dream.
Well it feels like people mostly fall into 2 camps - people who grew up with the 2D, and people who grew up with 3D (with obvious some folks the "grew up" with both.) - so I can understand the appeal of something like SA3, but I can't help but lean so heavily towards "it won't happen" because even as someone who has good memories of SA2, I'm unsure how you get those games right.

Like, I feel like there's probably even more division among 3D sonic fans of how you do one of those games right. Beyond the inclusion of Chao, Adventure Field vs. Not? Just Sonic, or multiple playable characters? What sort of styles of game mode to include? (A lot of people seem to hate treasure hunt, but would it be an SA game without?) SA style Sonic or Boost style Sonic?

Meanwhile 2D sonic kinda has one formula to imitate: S3&K.

Hogama posted:

...was Black Knight legitimately good or something? I heard so little about it and it seemed like a gimmick game I was under the impression it was one of the trash games?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

...was Black Knight legitimately good or something? I heard so little about it and it seemed like a gimmick game I was under the impression it was one of the trash games?

no, amazing music though

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

everything about sonic and the black knight waa good except the gameplay

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Sega already released Sonic Adventure 3 in 2006. They should make the sequel people REALLY want: Sonic Heroes 2.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They did, it was the teamup levels in Forces.

But seriously, I like the style Heroes had going on and would be happy to see another take on it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oxyclean posted:

Black Knight and Secret Rings are trash garbage and anyone that says they like those games is absolutely lying

The music was good but most Sonic music is good so

edit: Just... loving, why would the jump button work like that WHY

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Secret Rings is terrible but it's honestly almost fun once you have all the abilities

I said almost

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Macaluso posted:

The music was good but most Sonic music is good so

I for one did not appreciate hearing "make believe's reborn" more frequently than the ring collection noise

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The thing is Sonic Team never seems to stick with anything. Every new game has gotta play different than the last or otherwise have new gimmicks in it that gently caress it up. I would describe all the 3D Sonic efforts as wildly scattershot. Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors? Sonic Team finally found their groove! Nope, Lost World.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Give us Lost World 2.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

man nurse posted:

The thing is Sonic Team never seems to stick with anything. Every new game has gotta play different than the last or otherwise have new gimmicks in it that gently caress it up. I would describe all the 3D Sonic efforts as wildly scattershot. Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors? Sonic Team finally found their groove! Nope, Lost World.

This is how the big mainline Mario games play out and it works well. Hell, the New Super Mario series keeps the standard formula and seems to be less well-received than the ones that mix it up.

That said, Mario pretty much nailed the formula out of the gate with SM64 and since then has only really needed to build on it.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Give us Lost World 2.

I mean

Lost World could have been good, if more time was spent on every aspect of it. Like many Sonic games, so.

I dunno, I don't hate the style but it just seems extremely shallow uprezzing of old Sonic Level aesthetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Party Boat posted:

The reason her hair ended up like that was because when Amy was introduced to the comic, they only had this concept art from Sonic CD to base the character on and they misinterpreted her head turning round as the way her hair should be.

A big part of Sonic the Comic was taking mistakes or non-canon stuff and forging it into pure gold.
Its a great look, STC Amy supremacy.

Other random STC memories: watching all the artists slowly come to a consensus on what Sonics spines look like from the front then Sonic3D came out and hosed it all up again.

Teratrain posted:

This is how the big mainline Mario games play out and it works well. Hell, the New Super Mario series keeps the standard formula and seems to be less well-received than the ones that mix it up.

That said, Mario pretty much nailed the formula out of the gate with SM64 and since then has only really needed to build on it.
3D mario is interesting because initially it was wildly different from the 2D games but became progressively more similar over time untill 3D world which was essentially 2D mario game but in 3D.

Its weird because it was a trend I did not like but I didn't really notice it was happening at the time because the games were really good. Also Odyssey came out and kind of united the 2 styles so it all turned out good in the end.

Also NewSMB is the mario kart of platformers in that they all play basically the same and a new one comes out for every new console because they sell well consistently. They are fine but its kinda sad classic 2D mario shows such a lack of ambition these days.