Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I mean it's physically impossible for something to be less functional than DH.

Okay, low bar, fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I mean it's physically impossible for something to be less functional than DH.

Just play your 40k game in GURPS

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The 40k universe is pretty FATAL to the characters in the stories, right?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

S.J. posted:

The 40k universe is pretty FATAL to the characters in the stories, right?

When you roll Perils of the Warp when rolling for anal circumference :discourse:

E: at least it’s not Palladium.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This but atomic robo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

wiegieman posted:

This but atomic robo.

That's just Fate

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

That's just Fate

Yes, but that's secretly a good thing.

Dang, gonna have to play Fate. Shucks. Not gonna have to figure out DOS at all. Curses. Going to have mechanical interaction with core character concepts. Such a tragedy.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

It would be pretty rad to play a Mechanicus without the system immediately starting to cry.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I was randomly reading through Lathe Worlds (...as y'do) and I never really noticed it before but the Lathemasters read like proto/crypto-Squats.

:3:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Using the new rules or the old ones?

The old ones, though from what I've seen they're not that different. The biggest improvement was the layout, which I don't think could have been done worse than Ullisses did.

DH1 will always have a place in my heart because it was the first system I GMed, but it really requires a gentleman's agreement for it to work. I maintain the DH1 supplements are great reads for plot hooks and world building things.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clanpot Shake posted:

The old ones, though from what I've seen they're not that different. The biggest improvement was the layout, which I don't think could have been done worse than Ullisses did.

There are still a fair number of changes.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don’t remember DH1 being that messed up. Although, when I started running it, our group had done lots of WFRP 2nd, so I think we just kinda fell back on our instincts from that when things in DH didn’t add up.

In terms of premise and stuff, it was a great game. Being inquisition lackeys was a digestible entry point into the setting, and it gives you a structure to work in, and obvious motivations without you just being an automaton. So good.

I still think it’s the best 40K RPG for that reason, especially if your group includes people who aren’t familiar with the setting.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rogue Trader for setting and Black Crusade for combat rules worked reasonably well. Hordes made for reasonably threatening combats after people started getting the near unique equipment and having a horde of corrupted cherubs with a couple of mid-tier cultists and an actual Magus worked out.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
A lot of the combat rules are essentially the same but yes, I started pulling some BC horde stuff for my RT players and it works fairly well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So Cubicle 7 has the license now, but they haven't actually done anything other than some core rulebook updates so far?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

So Cubicle 7 has the license now, but they haven't actually done anything other than some core rulebook updates so far?

They have made a new Free Adventure and are making some additional materials.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The best part of DH is rolling on the crit damage or peril of the warp chart and having your character die so hard it kills other characters too.

Who knew a single bullet from an autogun could cause a total party kill?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The best part of DH is rolling on the crit damage or peril of the warp chart and having your character die so hard it kills other characters too.

Who knew a single bullet from an autogun could cause a total party kill?

Literally the first roll of the first campaign I ever ran for DH was one percentage point away from our psyker becoming an unbound demonhost. It would have literally destroyed the entire planet they were on.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The funniest part about perils is that, RAW, results cannot be rerolled with a fate point (as it is not a test). Easy house rule, though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

The funniest part about perils is that, RAW, results cannot be rerolled with a fate point (as it is not a test). Easy house rule, though.

This is good though?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Clanpot Shake posted:

You can permanently lose a Fate to make the universe shift reality to save your character's life.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You can always burn a fate point. It's in the rules.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

wiegieman posted:

You can always burn a fate point. It's in the rules.

Burning a fate point and spending a fate point are different things. Burning fate means "you just survive, no dice mechanics involved". Spending fate means you reroll something, and you are limited as to when you can do it.

*edit*

Burnt fate reduces your max fate, spent fate is restored between sessions/adventures.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Cubicle 7 has sort of announced a roadmap.

They're planning some adventure books and splat books. They're also doing a players guide of sorts adding more archetypes and adding ogryn, rattling, and kroot species.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kroot PC just constantly trying to get the Space Marine PC killed so they can feast on all that extremely weird DNA, miscellaneous extra organs, and progenoid glands could be really fun.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Ogryns and Ratlings aren't species, they're sub-strains of the human genotype.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Aw man, still no Tau?

They're not that complicated! They're just space communists!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Ogryns and Ratlings aren't species, they're sub-strains of the human genotype.

:jerkbag:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Werix posted:

Cubicle 7 has sort of announced a roadmap.

They're planning some adventure books and splat books. They're also doing a players guide of sorts adding more archetypes and adding ogryn, rattling, and kroot species.

I do want to be hyped but the most of this is at least a year down the line if not more. Which is probably going to be far too late for the Rogue Trader themed campaign I'm currently playing in. Because the book about ships would've been neat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tsilkani posted:

Aw man, still no Tau?

They're not that complicated! They're just space communists!

They're trying to figure out if they're space-trostkyite, space-stalinist, space-leninist, or merely space-communist with krootoid characteristics.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't play Tau but I've always had the impression they're more a stand-in for imperialism than communism.

They have "allies" who fight their wars, but the Tau get mecha suits while the Kroot have flintlock muskets.

You also have the caste system mirroring England's colonial-era class system.

It's a sad commentary on the effectiveness of propaganda really. The fanbase went straight for "Commies!" while Tau are more about colonial exploitation than forced sharing.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
I think that stems from decades of hack culture critics being praised for looking at anything that isn't free market capitalism and saying "This is an allegory for communism". Whether it's The Thing or Amon from Korra, nerds have been trained to associate any creature, group, or movement that strips individuality as communism.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Tau are an Empire, but so are most of the major factions in the game, and of them all the Tau are the least Colonial. They also aren't really Communist, but that is more because GW hasn't told us much about their internal economy. Presumably it does involve a lot of central planning. The Greater Good is a slogan instead of a philosophy at this point.

I would say my favorite use of the Tau is as Audience stand ins, or as it's sometime put they are the villains from a Star Wars type movie here as the Protagonists. The Tau Empire does some lovely things, but it is the lovely things that a modern first world country does. They start wars and say they will be greeted as liberators, they claim to not be racist while they have a caste system and humans and Kroot will never really be in charge. Meanwhile though the Imperium is openly and proudly killing aliens and mutants for being genetically impure.

On a related note, I'm interested in finally trying out W+G now that people have had a chance to read the 1.5th edition. I'm thinkin gbaout using it to run a Dark Heresy adventure to compare the two systems, I'm thinking Damned Cities from the Haarlock Legacy, would there be any interest? I'm thinking either Tier 2 or 3 and Imperial Characters only.

I still don't really get the Tier system to be honest, or at least I don't get the placement of Rogue trader in Tier 2 compared to Tech-Priest in tier 3 which continues to confuse me.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

neaden posted:

On a related note, I'm interested in finally trying out W+G now that people have had a chance to read the 1.5th edition. I'm thinkin gbaout using it to run a Dark Heresy adventure to compare the two systems, I'm thinking Damned Cities from the Haarlock Legacy, would there be any interest? I'm thinking either Tier 2 or 3 and Imperial Characters only.

I still don't really get the Tier system to be honest, or at least I don't get the placement of Rogue trader in Tier 2 compared to Tech-Priest in tier 3 which continues to confuse me.

I ran that adventure in W+G and would be all over playing in it, if knowing the plot doesn't exclude me.

Rogue Trader at tier 2 never made sense to me and I'm surprised C7 didn't move it. I vaguely recall them being able to start with plasma weaponry but forget how.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Clanpot Shake posted:

I ran that adventure in W+G and would be all over playing in it, if knowing the plot doesn't exclude me.

Rogue Trader at tier 2 never made sense to me and I'm surprised C7 didn't move it. I vaguely recall them being able to start with plasma weaponry but forget how.

They start with a loving Imperial Frigate! Plus 2 items of value Tier + 4 and rarity of Rare. They should be employing thousands of people, including Tech-Priests.

How did running it in W+G work out for you? I picked up the whole DH line when it was on BoH so I could run another adventure as well like Forgotten Gods.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

neaden posted:

They start with a loving Imperial Frigate! Plus 2 items of value Tier + 4 and rarity of Rare. They should be employing thousands of people, including Tech-Priests.

How did running it in W+G work out for you? I picked up the whole DH line when it was on BoH so I could run another adventure as well like Forgotten Gods.

gonna just quote myself here

Clanpot Shake posted:

I ran a tier 2 Inquisition campaign for close to a year and eventually just stopped giving out xp because the dice pools got so insane. My players are... disinterested in the mechanics, largely, but all of them had really powerful characters toward the end.

I haven't dug deep into the C7 revision of the rules but I imagine it's only a little bit less brittle.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Rogue trader should be bumped up to tier three and have an imperial naval officer be the tier two boater.

While we're at it, the mechanicus archetypes should be bumped down a tier, with tier three being a magos.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It does feel like a missed opportunity that there's no option to be a tier 1 entry-level enginseer to tag along with your guardsmen buddies.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Mechanically does it mess anything up if you let someone take tech priest at tier 2 or other archetypes at lower tiers? You’ll have less exp but I’d you are just going down a single tier it looks like it should still be doable,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

neaden posted:

Mechanically does it mess anything up if you let someone take tech priest at tier 2 or other archetypes at lower tiers? You’ll have less exp but I’d you are just going down a single tier it looks like it should still be doable,

As long as you're not getting out-of-tier equipment, it should be fine. Early access to plasma or melta weaponry really warps the combat math if everyone else is in the las/bolter zone.