Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/littlemisslizz/status/1277792085899427841?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

idgi

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Moses.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Ahh, thank you, I didn't want to google "Jew in a basket" in case it was a precursor to hate crimes or something.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Memento posted:

Ahh, thank you, I didn't want to google "Jew in a basket" in case it was a precursor to hate crimes or something.

I mean, murdering all Jewish children would meet the definition...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Karia posted:

I mean, murdering all Jewish children would meet the definition...

An attempt to save someone from a hate crime, in this case.

Edit for content:

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1278181790914510850

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Jul 1, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

It's the c that's silent in ck :goonsay:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
mizpiz also has 3 silent k's

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Brocklesnitch/status/1278188972133367809

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nick has always been the sane one. 2020 just proved it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well Nick has also been a fair bit of a shithead for most of his career as well. At any rate, more good stuff:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inceltown posted:

Nick has always been the sane one. 2020 just proved it.
True

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/1278075993182269440?s=19

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Memento posted:

Well Nick has also been a fair bit of a shithead for most of his career as well. At any rate, more good stuff:

I never saw this, but would love to know what he's talking about. The villains are qanon? Or preppers? Or Christians?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I never saw this, but would love to know what he's talking about. The villains are qanon? Or preppers? Or Christians?

People who use the Bible to control others rather than as a means to spiritual fulfillment.

Eli has a book that’s supposedly The Bible and a bunch of post apocalyptic warlords keep trying to get their hands on it to use its narrative to control people. Turns out Eli is actually blind and he just memorized the whole thing, though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

In the movie Denzel is protecting the world's last copy of the Bible and postapocalyptic warlord Gary Oldman wants to take it from him so he can use it to control his followers.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
OK, I have a twitter question, pardon my ignorance.

I deleted twitter years ago and the only exposure I have to it is through this thread. But when I click through on any post about masks it is flooded with people talking poo poo about mask-wearing, but their twitter bios are all amazingly similar. (Usually a few of the same emojis, something about Trump/MAGA, a flag, maybe some thing about "Mother/Daughter/Follower of Christ/Trump2020" and a generic white person's picture)

Are these bots? Or does the right-wing twitter brigade have a preferred style/look that they all cultivate?

I guess I have a hard time figuring out what the purpose of a bunch of anti-mask bots is for, but it is probably less frightening than it all being real people.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Captain Monkey posted:

People who use the Bible to control others rather than as a means to spiritual fulfillment.

Eli has a book that’s supposedly The Bible and a bunch of post apocalyptic warlords keep trying to get their hands on it to use its narrative to control people. Turns out Eli is actually blind and he just memorized the whole thing, though.

I thought the copy Eli had was braille, meaning he was there only one who could read it?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Woozie66 posted:

I thought the copy Eli had was braille, meaning he was there only one who could read it?

It's both. His copy is Braille but also he has memorized it, so at the end of the book he recites it from memory for the good guys to make a new copy, and Gary Oldman is left with a Braille copy that's useless to him because no one can read it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ishamael posted:

I deleted twitter years ago and the only exposure I have to it is through this thread. But when I click through on any post about masks it is flooded with people talking poo poo about mask-wearing, but their twitter bios are all amazingly similar. (Usually a few of the same emojis, something about Trump/MAGA, a flag, maybe some thing about "Mother/Daughter/Follower of Christ/Trump2020" and a generic white person's picture)

Are these bots? Or does the right-wing twitter brigade have a preferred style/look that they all cultivate?

I guess I have a hard time figuring out what the purpose of a bunch of anti-mask bots is for, but it is probably less frightening than it all being real people.

A significant number of them are bots, probably created by Russia to cause chaos in the US.

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1278152029924241409

https://twitter.com/holdenberry/status/1278073551665295360

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ishamael posted:

Some are real, some are bots. Anyone with 8 numbers after their name is almost certainly a bot.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Piell posted:

Anyone with 8 numbers after their name is almost certainly a bot.
Actually they're almost certainly a genuine account, as comforting as it might be to believe that sinister forces are simultaneously controlling the entire public discourse with advanced propaganda techniques and too dumb to realise all their accounts have an obvious tell :umberto:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Actually they're almost certainly a genuine account, as comforting as it might be to believe that sinister forces are simultaneously controlling the entire public discourse with advanced propaganda techniques and too dumb to realise all their accounts have an obvious tell :umberto:

It's mainly just that those numbers are the default account name Twitter gives you. Most people will notice their name and change it to something more unique; bot nets are going to be weighing that against actually bothering to come up with unique names.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems at least possible that Russia is still loving with America and America is full of deeply stupid people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tenebrais posted:

It's mainly just that those numbers are the default account name Twitter gives you. Most people will notice their name and change it to something more unique; bot nets are going to be weighing that against actually bothering to come up with unique names.

Meanwhile, pro-Netanyahu bots are a weird series of alternately-capitalized letters, so they're clearly generated outside of Twitter.

Either way, most times when I read someone called bob4282392898, their tweeting is indistinguishable from that of a bot. Maybe they're not, but is it my fault they fail the Turing test?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pilchenstein posted:

Most of the bot accounts leave the location field blank, whereas real patriotic posters will make sure everyone knows they're from the great state of Alabama.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1278343181772271617

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HPneuro/status/1278285601264087045

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/cozykofu/status/1278044815381446656

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, it would be nice to think it's all a bunch of Russian trolls, it would be less depressing than a bunch of adults railing against a very minor inconvenience. The weird similarities in the bios made me wonder though. And maybe hope, a little.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems at least possible that Russia is still loving with America and America is full of deeply stupid people.

This is probably more correct. Worst of both worlds, woo!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/_brittanyv/status/1278011438146056197

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

vyelkin posted:

It's both. His copy is Braille but also he has memorized it, so at the end of the book he recites it from memory for the good guys to make a new copy, and Gary Oldman is left with a Braille copy that's useless to him because no one can read it

Thanks for the clarification! It's been a while since I watched it, obviously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Monkey posted:

it's still a bible, it's just in braille

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat, that's a hell of a thing to haul around the wasteland

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's the name of the movie? Sorry if I missed it in the sea of spoiler tags.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I call it Billy and the Biblesaurus

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the name of the movie? Sorry if I missed it in the sea of spoiler tags.

The Book of Eli.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The mean option would have been Bibleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

tribbledirigible posted:

The mean option would have been Bibleman.

Why is it mean to introduce people to Bibleman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7cdqXCMaGg