Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Cardiovorax posted:

I didn't realize puffins could fly, I just thought they were a more tropical kind of penuin. You know, adapted to a purely aquatic lifestyle.

Puffins aren't tropical though.

There are more warm weather penguins like the Galapagos penguin but yeah.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Ott_ posted:

Their site's been down all morning for me. Anybody have a mirror?

Here is a copy of the cleaned up version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnhes9mqn4cp546/Dwarf_Fortress_Talk_23TakeTwo.mp3?dl=0

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!

You are a legend thank you.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Jay-Roden posted:

You are a legend thank you.

Sankis (of Boatmurdered fame) is the one that cleaned and uploaded it.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Telsa Cola posted:

They're probably confusing them with toucans

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
His tou-can hold more than his belly can.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Maugrim posted:

They're probably confusing them with toucans

I..uh.. thats somewhat reasonable i guess.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Telsa Cola posted:

There are more warm weather penguins like the Galapagos penguin but yeah.
I sort of conflated those in my head, it seems.

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Capntastic posted:

Sankis (of Boatmurdered fame) is the one that cleaned and uploaded it.

Oh sweet ill have to give hime a beer next time I see him.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
i'm a little concerned the website is still down, what's going on?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Toady mentioned he's changing webservers a couple weeks ago.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
His web hosting company was bought out and apparently everything went to poo poo during that transition. Yeah.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

i'm a little concerned the website is still down, what's going on?

He’s calling his host to figure it out.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Capntastic posted:

He’s calling his host to figure it out.

Site looks like it's back up; go go go.

Also, without going into too much detail about my personal situation in this horrible cursed time, I mention my patreon in the podcast. Do what you want with that info. :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Currently I'm just doing lots and lots of creatures, hoping to finish the basic set of 272 within the next couple of days. Patrick is waiting for some more of my sprites to base his further work on, so we're in a bit of a lull."
- Mayday

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

I just want there to be reasons to create elaborate vaults filled with tons of coins

Make coins behave like a liquid so you could make Scrooge McDuck vault pools out of them. Would probably be easier to handle than a billion discreet coin items, too.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

Make coins behave like a liquid so you could make Scrooge McDuck vault pools out of them. Would probably be easier to handle than a billion discreet coin items, too.

A cat steps into a puddle of coins, and wanders the fort, barfing up coin-hairballs everywhere because each time the cat cleans itself it ends up ingesting an entire mug worth of coins due to a bug.
I'd really love custom liquids though, even though there wouldn't be a lot to do with them, other than making beer-waterfalls and the like.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Drowning invaders in blood would be pretty rad.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SubNat posted:

I'd really love custom liquids though, even though there wouldn't be a lot to do with them, other than making beer-waterfalls and the like.

You make it sound like this isn't an excellent reason to make full fluid systems in itself.

I think the main problem with getting beer and other liquids in tile form is managing what happens when they meet. Water and lava/magma have a set combination of turning into obsidian; it's a lot less clear what happens when Water meets Dwarven Ale, or Great Olm Blood meets Alpaca Milk.

I'm sure it's inevitable at some point, though. Liquids are already well-defined as coatings and drinks, these just need to be extended onto terrain to be a proper simulation. It'll probably get put in as a side-project when Toady One wants to make a cool aesthetic for secret temples or something.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pigbuster posted:

That and you could literally make it rain money.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

A cat steps into a puddle of coins, and wanders the fort, barfing up coin-hairballs everywhere because each time the cat cleans itself it ends up ingesting an entire mug worth of coins due to a bug.

Resultantly, cats are the richest citizens of the fort and every Dwarf goes naked because cats buy out all of the clothing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SubNat posted:

A beerfall should just guarantee the euphoric happiness of all your dwarves in perpetuity. It is everything they love: overengineered falling liquids and alcohol.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One thing I've always wondered about, is there a reason some leathers cost more than others from start? If I pay 15p blind cave bear leather instead of the (presumably shittier) 5p dingo leather, will I get something that is somehow stronger, or yields better protection from blows? Anyone know the mechanics or just reason behind the cost differential?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tias posted:

One thing I've always wondered about, is there a reason some leathers cost more than others from start? If I pay 15p blind cave bear leather instead of the (presumably shittier) 5p dingo leather, will I get something that is somehow stronger, or yields better protection from blows? Anyone know the mechanics or just reason behind the cost differential?

I think it's just a straight cost modifier on each creature, and more expensive products give happier thoughts and contribute to fortress wealth but don't make practical differences.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I always assumed it was tied to the difficulty of killing the creature the leather came from.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Generally speaking more exotic animals have more valuable parts.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't want Toady to spend a month writing a system for collagen strength or anything, but I really would like to have something that makes a Dragonleather cloak be a proper piece of kit to give to a fortress hero.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There are a dozen mods that rework the leather system to do so.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Red panda sprite :3:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tias posted:

Rare things cost more than common things. If you want your fortress guard decked out in Unicorn Leather uniforms it's going to cost you, but you'll be the most fashionable guard on the continent. (Until they all die to iron weapons.)

The finished goods made from valuable raw material are themselves more valuable than goods made from cheap materials. Making your chair out of obsidian or marble doesn't make it any better at being a chair than if you made it from gabbro or pine, but people will enjoy it more. A small dining room where all the furniture is low-quality gold can be more valuable and therefore more impressive than if all the furniture was made from masterpiece quality pine wood. Both material and quality matter.

I'm not sure how much valuable clothing affects mood, if it all. There is a happy thought for acquiring a great item, I think. But not ongoing moodlets from having the fanciest socks in town.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Masterwork clothing, specifically, is a trap because the creator will tantrum when the socks get holes in them and are thrown away.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Rare things cost more than common things. If you want your fortress guard decked out in Unicorn Leather uniforms it's going to cost you, but you'll be the most fashionable guard on the continent. (Until they all die to iron weapons.)

Reminds me of the time I was in a biome that was lousy with unicorns and decided to make one of my dwarves the designated Unicorn Warrior. He was clad in unicorn leather armor decorated with unicorn horn, wielding a unicorn bone crossbow and firing unicorn bone bolts, and leading a herd of something like 10 war unicorns into battle. The first time I sent him into battle against a goblin squad the unicorns charged out and were immediately butchered without getting a single kill. The Unicorn Warrior instantly went mad with grief and opened fire on another one of my squad, who his unicorn bolts and armor were utterly ineffective against.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a silly question. I'm getting back into DF after a bit, and I am having a hell of a time with labors. I'm trying to designate my mining dwarfs to ONLY MINE, no hauling labors. Somehow, their labors keep getting changed. Do dwarfs just do whatever they want now? I cant seem to make my changes stick, using the in-game manager or Dwarf Therapist.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have a silly question. I'm getting back into DF after a bit, and I am having a hell of a time with labors. I'm trying to designate my mining dwarfs to ONLY MINE, no hauling labors. Somehow, their labors keep getting changed. Do dwarfs just do whatever they want now? I cant seem to make my changes stick, using the in-game manager or Dwarf Therapist.

Sounds like you might have autolabor or one of the other DFhack scripts that mess with labors enabled. Try running a vanilla version of the game, no LNP, no dfhack, etc. and see if it still happens.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:frogsiren: Dwarf Fortress Devlog on Steam: :steam:

- - - - -

Hi!

Creatures and items, creatures and items. Here are lots of different seeds. You can grow all sorts of different real world and fantasy plants. Our dwarves like to farm a variety of mushrooms underground, but you can try aboveground plants if you like.

I put them on a glass block floor, since I accidentally put an ice floor in the last news posting when I said it was glass, ha ha. I then spread some of the new treasure items around everywhere, in each of the currency materials. You can also make coins and treasures out of non-currency metals and materials.

There were a few other treasures to lay out, but I took the screenshot early, as a lizard started eating my seeds (the guilty party still sits happily in the stockpile.) Normally you can protect seeds from vermin by using bags and barrels, and also by having some trusty cats around to hunt them and bring the remains to their dwarves.

Mike in the meantime has drawn many animals over the last several days, among them the remaining birds. Can you name them all?

I've also been experimenting with the mouse and clickable buttons and other fancy widgets. Animals next to the animal buttons, items next to the item buttons, rather than text text text. DF has had a little patchy mouse support in the past, but we're going to improve that situation for Steam. Hopefully I'll have some to show soon! Artists have to do a pass on my programmer art first, he he he.

-Tarn

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I assumed the shirtless dungeon masters were a reference to Book of the New Sun, where the torturers wear a cloak and mask, no shirt.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I've been playing my arctic fort for awhile now and I wondered if anyone has actually seen a narwhal in game. I know they are supposed to be an arctic water creature, but the water is all frozen in the arctic so... do I have to melt the water to get them to show up? I desire to start a narwhal farm/slaughterhouse.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I suppose they show up on artic “beaches” at the edge of the ice sheet?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Dang, I really wanted lizard seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From Mayday on the DF Forums. :orks101:

- - - - -

After some initial hiccups, I've tried to maintain a consistent perspective for all the land creatures (I probably didn't succeed in all cases...).

I'm done with the birds:

And I'm working on the remaining fish - here are a few examples, most of them old, and today's barracuda and bluefish:

As you can see, in many cases I didn't stick to the "near isometric" perspective, assuming that this will help stress the fact that the creature is not on the ground, but rather flying/floating/swimming with little regard for directions. Or rather, that was the excuse, while the real reason is that it provided more variety (thus being more fun to draw) and it was a LOT more difficult to find reference material with the right angle for birds and fish than for land animals.

With the bluefish, I drew the fish from the "correct" perspective, but having found no appropriate ref image I tried to use my imagination (the problem is that takes much more time and I have a strictly limited amount of time for each sprite).