Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Polaron posted:

How can someone's communication with their printer be that bad?

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1278075885258706946?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

In light of recent events in the comic and related industries I do think a sticky needs to remain.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Yeah, I strongly feel that Always More, Always Worse may be in full effect for a while here in comics. :smithfrog:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Polaron posted:

They did Spinal Tap Stonehenge math.
"YES, STANDARD 4/1" MARGINS WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?!"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

In light of recent events in the comic and related industries I do think a sticky needs to remain.
Agreed.
Sorry, collected my thought more: there's a lot going on so when I see 20-30 missed posts in this thread I can assume that something new has made the news. I'd be more likely to miss it and, hence, not be as informed if it was out in the wild instead of securely at the top. Thanks

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 1, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ok, probably the right call. Thanks for chiming in.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Polaron posted:

The "death of expertise."

Knowing what the hell you're doing is elitist gatekeeping. You stay real, close to the ground, and completely ignorant of the details of the business you're hoping to disrupt. That's how real Americans get things done.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Who the gently caress makes even panels in comics any more?

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Anora posted:

Who the gently caress makes even panels in comics any more?

maybe not on every page but quite a few people :confused:

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

lol the guy who hired these talents ah yes

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1278077470781120514?s=19

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

sliami posted:

maybe not on every page but quite a few people :confused:

I rarely see comics that uniform, even across two pages.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anora posted:

I rarely see comics that uniform, even across two pages.

Watchmen is famous for being framed entirely on a 3x3 grid. I don't doubt that's what this guy had in mind, forgetting that while Watchmen is constructed on a grid it frequently combined sections of that grid to have 1x3 or 2x1 panels.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/mplacko/status/1278349990507671552?s=20

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is even more embarrassing than it being a communication error, if you ask me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedit posted:

Watchmen is famous for being framed entirely on a 3x3 grid. I don't doubt that's what this guy had in mind, forgetting that while Watchmen is constructed on a grid it frequently combined sections of that grid to have 1x3 or 2x1 panels.

Yeah, and a bunch of comics since have done similar things either as direct homage or just to evoke similar tones.

This though, I'm betting is from someone whose main experience is webtoons, which is fine in and of itself, but shows a real lack of imagination that they were unable to move away from the constraints of the medium once they had the opportunity.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/baddwolfehowlin/status/1278491643901968386?s=21

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1278728504272617477

(context: Marvel just announced that they'll be taking over Alien and Predator comics starting in 2021)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I didn’t realize Dark Horse was such a family affair.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The CEO of Dynamite is now no longer hiding the company's support of Comicsgate:

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1279057404093661184?s=20

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Looking at their library, that's the type of people they market to. Didn't they let that one CG woman make a Vampirella cover and it was the most half assed "my first art project" POS possible?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Anora posted:

Looking at their library, that's the type of people they market to. Didn't they let that one CG woman make a Vampirella cover and it was the most half assed "my first art project" POS possible?

Yeah, it was loving terrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

E the Shaggy posted:

The CEO of Dynamite is now no longer hiding the company's support of Comicsgate:

There's a lot going on in that picture

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

Why is one of them wearing a bike helmet?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well, if you can't make good comics, make as well rake in those chud bucks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving lol

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1279531293617897475?s=20

https://twitter.com/BrndnStrssng/status/1279532581361500160

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Will the heroes of Liberality for All appear too?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Normally I can just sit back and laugh at chuds trying to co-opt characters, but the usage of Superman, a loving undocumented immigrant journalist created by two Jewish kids, who spent his early days exposing and busting up corrupt capitalist fucks, makes me physically loving angry.

Go gently caress yourselves, you fascist fucks.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood
It seems even counting is beyond them. Why are there eight people in the seven?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Astribulus posted:

It seems even counting is beyond them. Why are there eight people in the seven?

Haha, silly Astribulus.

Women don't count as people to them.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Kurui Reiten posted:

Haha, silly Astribulus.

Women don't count as people to them.

Actually, given the listed names I think they left out the black football guy. Presumably a pun on Quarterback with some chud’s name given the prominent 1/4 on his shirt. Still a predictable omission.

Dark477
Oct 15, 2018
https://mobile.twitter.com/renfamous/status/1279534123229556737

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Astribulus posted:

Actually, given the listed names I think they left out the black football guy. Presumably a pun on Quarterback with some chud’s name given the prominent 1/4 on his shirt. Still a predictable omission.

Five gets you ten he'll yell "I WILL NEVER KNEEL" at some point.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I love how Comicsgate has basically betrayed all their original core tenets.

"gently caress variant covers." Now they all do it.
"Keep politics out of comics!" Unless it's their politics.

And then they all eventually eat each other anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1279563843803459587

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anora posted:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I just got into Critical Bits last week, caught up today and decided I should follow the cast on twitter and saw this.

She's giving so much detail too and it's all just the most obvious grooming. I don't even know how you protect teenagers from this poo poo at this point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Threep posted:

I just got into Critical Bits last week, caught up today and decided I should follow the cast on twitter and saw this.

She's giving so much detail too and it's all just the most obvious grooming. I don't even know how you protect teenagers from this poo poo at this point.

Look I know this an unpopular opinion more and more but straight up kids don’t need smartphones until they are old enough to pay for it themselves. Buy them Nokia burners from Wal*Mart so they can call and text their friends and parents or whatever but part of being a good parent moving forward has to be limiting your kids time online. Cyber Bullying literally never stops, and kids today are dumber than ever. Educators in High Schools have all but given up on fighting kids to get off their phones in class. I know I sound like an old man yelling at clouds but consider the fact that every tech billionaire from Steve Jobs to the Google guys to Bill Gates have extremely strict “no phones/no tablets” households for their own kids, because they see the data and the research and they know what it’s doing to your brain, and how it’s making you addicts to your glowing little square.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

consider the fact that every tech billionaire from Steve Jobs [...] have extremely strict “no phones/no tablets” households for their own kids

yeah, look, i'm sorry this is how you had to find out, but...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Look I know this an unpopular opinion more and more but straight up kids don’t need smartphones until they are old enough to pay for it themselves. Buy them Nokia burners from Wal*Mart so they can call and text their friends and parents or whatever but part of being a good parent moving forward has to be limiting your kids time online. Cyber Bullying literally never stops, and kids today are dumber than ever. Educators in High Schools have all but given up on fighting kids to get off their phones in class. I know I sound like an old man yelling at clouds but consider the fact that every tech billionaire from Steve Jobs to the Google guys to Bill Gates have extremely strict “no phones/no tablets” households for their own kids, because they see the data and the research and they know what it’s doing to your brain, and how it’s making you addicts to your glowing little square.

This is extremely Old Man Yells At Cloud.

The internet is dangerous if unmonitored but 'unmonitored' is key there. It is up to parents to talk to their children and try to inform them of the risks and dangers and make sure they feel comfortable talking about things. However the internet is such a major part of modern day culture that trying to cut a child off from it entirely is basically a no-go especially in the current pandemic where the internet is the primary way for kids to get to socialize with one another.

Likewise the idea that kids don't need smartphones in this day and age is pretty dated. A smartphone isn't just for texting. It is someone's camera, their calculator, how they find maps, some schools ask or require apps (again, especially in the current situation), it is used to record notes, and so-on. It's super weird that these days you have a magic box in your pocket that is all these things but you're putting your child in a tough spot if you intentionally prevent them from having one. (And will likely encourage them to find ways to get one themselves that you are then unaware of.) Like any situation the issue is that parents need to pay attention to their child and make sure to foster trust so they can discuss things.

The 'tech billionare' thing is a bad example because those children do not lead normal lives and trying to enforce whatever standards they have onto the average person ignores that the average person doesn't have access to everything those children have. It's a lot easier to worry about not having a smartphone when you can have literally anything you want and are only allowed to socialize with specific people. It's also partially a power thing because a lot of wealthy parents prefer to insulate their kids to the best of their ability to assure they don't do anything out of their control. That is why so many wealthy shits end up crappy and sheltered and having no idea of what the real world is like.

"The bad thing is rotting your brains" has probably been around since human history. Novels rotted your brain and made you addicted. Music rotted your brain and made you addicted. Comic books absolutely were going to rot your brain and maybe turn you g-g-g-gay too. Almost anything can become addictive if you take it in too significant quantities and with no moderation but that is what a parent needs to focus on, not trying to 'save' children by cutting them off entirely. If you can't teach your child moderation and trust then when they do get into a risky situation they are going to be ill-prepared to handle it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also lol if you think taking away your 16 year old’s phone is going to be the thing that prevents them from loving, if they want to gently caress.

Teaching your kids about consent and to recognize gaslighting, and that you really can be trusted to support them when bad stuff is happening, is way more important than controlling their access to the internet (which is impossible anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Also lol if you think taking away your 16 year old’s phone is going to be the thing that prevents them from loving, if they want to gently caress.

Teaching your kids about consent and to recognize gaslighting, and that you really can be trusted to support them when bad stuff is happening, is way more important than controlling their access to the internet (which is impossible anyway).

My sister (who is turning 16 this year, there is a *tremendous* age gap between us) actually met her girlfriend over the internet a year or so ago. Our parents however have generally been with her every step of the way with internet stuff and have done their best to teach her about these sorts of things and so she felt comfortable enough going to them and talking about the situation to make sure she was safe. They had an honest discussion about it and worked things out and even spoke to the girl in question and it worked out well because they made sure to be safe about all those things and that my sister felt safe enough to talk to them about it. (They later broke up over some silly thing or another because that is what 15 year olds do.)

"Internet safety" is basically something parents should be involved in and talk about as much as warning about weird people on the street and more to the point your child should feel as comfortable coming to you if they got an uncomfortable message as they should if someone approached them on the street/in school/whatever. Taking away smartphones may remove a possible vector for it but it isn't going to go away unless you ban your children from the internet entirely and that is both basically impossible and potentially harms them both from a safety perspective and a career perspective because someone who doesn't touch the internet until they are 20 is going to have a much harder time adapting to it and knowing what they need to know to remain safe. (Because abusive people can take just as much advantage of an unprepared young adult as they can a child.)