Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7119856/coronavirus-sewage-barcelona-march-2019/

I have no evidence at all but I beleive this is somehow linked to Madeleine McCann

I think contamination of the samples by an infected researcher is a more likely explanation here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I think WRT vaccines, there are many legitimate worries about timing and efficacy, but the chance that a dangerous vaccine is adopted worldwide which is somehow worse than COVID is as close to nil as something can be. If something that is claimed to work arises, this is not a situation where only America will start pumping it out and using it while the rest of the world watches and waits. It will be hitting everywhere at once (well, rich countries first).

And even if that were to happen in some freak circumstance, it would be the biggest scandal in American political history for the government to pump hundreds of millions into churning out a dangerous vaccine that nowhere else adopts. Hellworld or not, no government would survive that. The level of scrutiny on any COVID vaccine will be bigger than any other vaccine in history.

johncandy
Jun 29, 2020

by Athanatos

big cummers ONLY posted:

We have a union who appears to be stepping up. And HR has agreed that everyone needs to be wearing masks in public spaces, ie outside of their own personal desk office.

But last week I decided that I will lose this job if I have to protect myself from COVID. If I lose the income, I will qualify for Medicaid to take care of needed healthcare. Not as good as my current plan but the most effective plan right now is the one where I don't get COVID.

e: I have $200 in savings but I'm still ahead of all those minimum wage workers who don't have jobs anymore.

Do you have a family? You are fighting the good fight, but man, you are already in a very tough spot with no savings to speak of. Hopefully the right people back you up at work. Do you have somewhere you can move into rent free if you lose your income?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jeza posted:

And even if that were to happen in some freak circumstance, it would be the biggest scandal in American political history for the government to pump hundreds of millions into churning out a dangerous vaccine that nowhere else adopts. Hellworld or not, no government would survive that. The level of scrutiny on any COVID vaccine will be bigger than any other vaccine in history.

I truly truly want to believe this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.wlwt.com/article/kroger-gets-approval-for-coronavirus-at-home-testing-collection-kits/33023417

quote:

Kroger Health announced Wednesday that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has granted Emergency Use Authorization for the COVID-19 Test Home Collection Kit.

The kits will allow users to collect a sample for testing for the virus from home, with the help of a health professional via video conference. Patients will then ship their sample to a laboratory for processing, with results coming back in 24-48 hours.

The home collection kits are currently only available to Kroger's frontline associates, based on medical need. However, company officials said they plan to rapidly expand the availability of the home collection kits in the coming weeks, with a goal of processing up to 60,000 tests per week by the end of July.

quote:

So how do the home collection kits work?

- Patients will be provided access to a website where they will answer screening questions, input their organization's benefit code and an individual code, like an employee ID, and complete a clinical assessment. If a patient qualifies, a healthcare professional will issue a prescription and the home collection kit is shipped to their home within 24-48 hours.

- The home collection kit includes a nasal swab, transport vial, instruction sheet, prepaid shipping label, and packing materials for return shipment of the sample to the laboratory.

- Upon receipt of the home collection kit, a healthcare professional guides the home collection process via telehealth – a two-way video chat. The direct observation helps to ensure the proper technique is used for sample collection.

- The patient will then overnight ship their sample to the laboratory for processing, which on average will take 24-48 hours.

- At the laboratory, the collection undergoes a molecular diagnostic test – a test that detects parts of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and can be used to diagnose active infection with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

- If test results are negative for an active infection, results are released to the patient's electronic medical record portal. Alternatively, patients may be called if they do not consent to use of the portal. For a patient whose test result is positive, a healthcare professional will contact them via phone to provide a recommended course of care.

- Test results will only be accessible to the patient and only shared with their organization if the patient authorizes the release of his or her results. All results are reported to government health agencies as required by law.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

johncandy posted:

Do you have a family? You are fighting the good fight, but man, you are already in a very tough spot with no savings to speak of. Hopefully the right people back you up at work. Do you have somewhere you can move into rent free if you lose your income?

We have no real safety net to speak of. I don't care. If things get worse for me - a person in a relatively privileged situation, with a union and a girlfriend who is still earning income - things are going to get much worse for millions of others and I won't be in bad company.

I am eradicating the parts of me that want to be "safe" so I can continue to ignore this problem and smoke weed and play minecraft. Even just a few days spent combating my supervisor, lining up possible plans for different contingencies, and generally just taking control of my life and safety has been empowering and given me the feeling that I can change things if I push hard enough. The concerns you are describing are the concerns I was stating to someone else in this thread maybe two weeks ago. I stated that I had no choice but to continue working. I refuse to believe that now. I will fight.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

I truly truly want to believe this.

Trump's base is old, white and hates government interference. They already don't like vaccines, and they won't like any mandatory vaccine, functional or not. If by some act of God, the American gov't alone greenlights and mandates the use of a vaccine that kills old people and doesn't stop COVID, that would be the end of the line.

No need to get your hopes up though, because that categorically will not happen.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

We are well on our way to catch that second wave, hell yeah :tubular:

At least they realized that leaving it to the people if they want to wear a mask in public transport or not isn't gonna work, so it's mandatory now like it should have been from the start.

Next monday :eng99:

I like how yesterday Berset said we're going to delegate things to the cantons starting in two weeks and already he's said gently caress you clowns, wear a mask dipshits

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jeza posted:

I think WRT vaccines, there are many legitimate worries about timing and efficacy, but the chance that a dangerous vaccine is adopted worldwide which is somehow worse than COVID is as close to nil as something can be. If something that is claimed to work arises, this is not a situation where only America will start pumping it out and using it while the rest of the world watches and waits. It will be hitting everywhere at once (well, rich countries first).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Our national organization handled everything rather well regarding the outcome, except for the war preparedness vaults having stocks mostly full of out-of-date masks. But then the national agency for health and well-being decided to have a very public and stupid political slapfight in media about the usefulness of the mask in public. One side is saying that "people should be encouraged to wear at least a cloth mask every time they go to public places", and the other side for some reason decided to go all in on "do not use any mask unless specifically told to do so, cloth masks do nothing the prevent catching the virus". These are not even mutually exclusive strategies, but even today there is no clear indication whether the agency want's us, or absolutely does not want, anyone to wear mask anywhere. All the other organizations such as regional hospital systems do recommend them, like anyone sane would do.

So for some reason there are people in our national health agency in public, and still employed, saying that "because we have no prove that this works here we recommend against doing something that works everywhere else. I also cannot understand the difference between masks preventing getting the virus and using cloth masks to prevent spreading the virus, and I do not care to listen because I am the government official in these things".

In any case, nice crisis communications, where the public instructions differ based on who -FROM THE ONE AND THE SAME AGENCY- gave a statement.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

big cummers ONLY posted:

I refuse to believe that now. I will fight.

If your state has whistleblower protections, and you don't care about blowing up your career, go to the media.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MarcusSA posted:

I am not anti vaccine in anyway shape or form but fuckin lol at being one of the first people to get the quickest vaccine made in human history.

They can pound sand with that poo poo.

And with a “we’ll take 50% effectiveness” permission from the very capable government of America

I mean in a way they’re right, we can’t wait 20 years for a perfect vaccine

It was just weird to hear “we’re not looking for 100% effectiveness, we’ll take 70%” and a few days later they went “ahhh we’ll take 50% just hurry”

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 1, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Amarcarts posted:

My Dad is retired now, but he used to work upper middle management in manufacturing quality control for a big pharma company. He had a lot of experience with improving yield and reducing impurities. Over the years he also had to do a lot of communication with the FDA for compliance purposes. The way he explains it to me is that (in his company at least) there was always a gentle underlying conflict between the business/marketing and science/safety side of things, but that the overall organizational culture favored the latter so this won out most out of time. The business/marketing people were not evil but they were not as familiar with regulatory hoops and were kind of just another voice at the table. Every now and then the company would get dinged for something but it was usually not a malevolent thing, just an oversight of some kind. The policing and regulation was so tight that it was usually something small that would not end up a catastrophic PR disaster. He described the FDA as akin to a court of law where as a pharma company you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Basically from everything he's told me it sounds like a strong FDA is a good thing as it protects companies from themselves. I don't know much about the organizational culture at the FDA but it may change over time with different administrations and as new people come in while others retire.

As an aside my dad also did some consulting work with some Chinese companies and said that the culture there is completely different. Regulations are seen as something to get around rather than something to comply with. Falsifying quality control data is just another tool in the toolbox.

How long ago was he in the business? Because America seems to have moved towards the “get around regulations” culture lately, starting from the very top guy

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

lol

[quote="big cummers ONLY" post="506184295"]

big cummers ONLY is a good username

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
someday i hope this entire article is an entry in us history books

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/style/mask-america-freedom-coronavirus.html

quote:

Ms. Robinson’s mother, who asked to be kept anonymous for fear of losing her job, said that in the last two to three weeks, fights over masks had become astonishingly frequent. It was not uncommon for the police to be called to her store three to four times a day, she said.

“We’ve had shoppers go after each other,” she said. “Pushing matches, running carts into each other, running over people’s feet, ankles.”

quote:

In line at a Mini-Mart, he spotted a customer behind him not wearing a mask, he said, and he shook his head. The man asked why Mr. Rogers had been looking at him and Mr. Rogers, again, shook his head.

“I wear a full face guard, the mask that they use when they spray pesticides,” he said. “He reached for my mask and tried to pull it off.” Mr. Rogers said his “natural instinct” came out and he put his hand up and knocked the man to the floor.

also put me in the i wish a mfr would category on how i would handle someone reaching for a mask. not only would i defend myself i'd also go for pushing for serious bodily harm charges on an idiot.

pretty sure you get a crowd beat down for that in nyc at this point

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thanks I wish I was funny enough to come up with it myself. Got it in a random name change thread

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Reconsidered posting this.

Tipps fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2020

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

It's been four years. Why is this still so relevant :negative:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Tell her not to move to Arizona, it's gonna get worse.

Or if she insists tell her to wait until after they burn all the bodies so she has a glut of cheap houses to choose from

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

Or if she insists tell her to wait until after they burn all the bodies so she has a glut of cheap houses to choose from

Seriously, my parents have a buyer for their big rear end house inbetween Phoenix and Carefree and I am so desparate for this sale to get closed. They put it on the market in the second week in March so just about the worst timing possible but they may still be able to get ~80% of what they were asking. I try not to think about what the housing market is going to look like once those extra unemployment checks stop because I am extremely pessimistic about everything at that point.

naem
May 29, 2011

greazeball posted:

Seriously, my parents have a buyer for their big rear end house inbetween Phoenix and Carefree and I am so desparate for this sale to get closed. They put it on the market in the second week in March so just about the worst timing possible but they may still be able to get ~80% of what they were asking. I try not to think about what the housing market is going to look like once those extra unemployment checks stop because I am extremely pessimistic about everything at that point.

how incredibly morally wrong is it that I quietly hope to find affordable housing, even real estate, in the next year or two thanks to this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

naem posted:

how incredibly morally wrong is it that I quietly hope to find affordable housing, even real estate, in the next year or two thanks to this

I’m reminded of an idiot acquaintance pushing to reopen everything like 3 days into lockdown, because he sells houses

Like dude, you know if people are dead or crippled with hospital bills, nobody’s gonna be buying houses right

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

naem posted:

It isn't morally wrong in the least. You didn't encourage people to take out mortgages they could barely afford, or to rely on renters to pay the mortgage for the very property they are renting out. You didn't make loans available to people who were not safe prospects. You didn't create the economic poo poo-show we're now in the start of. You didn't do anything.

Everyone can see the writing on the wall regarding the housing bubble deflating.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Like dude, you know if people are dead or crippled with hospital bills, nobody’s gonna be buying houses right

the real estate market where i live is the hottest its been in 15 years. stuff is selling in half a day

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the rich buying at cheap prices rent out later I guess...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Before this is over any milennial will be able to get an extremely affordable apartment in an empty former nursing home for next to nothing

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

It's a great quote and relevant all the time, but boiled down, every scandal Trump has ever had is more or less just outrage and words without anything concrete on the ground. Nothing of the theoretical scale of that kind of bungle has happened in a very long time. Until COVID and the proceeding riots, no major events have even happened under Trump, especially from the point of view of Republicans, and his generally static approval rating reflects that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/06/how-we-will-know-when-coronavirus-vaccine-is-ready-cvd/

boar guy posted:

the real estate market where i live is the hottest its been in 15 years. stuff is selling in half a day

I keep forgetting humans are unpredictable

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

John_A_Tallon posted:

or to rely on renters to pay the mortgage for the very property they are renting out.

Can someone explain why this one is problematic to me? Because I mean, if you're literally not profiting off people who want to rent your home, I'm lost as to why that's bad. You're basically taking all the responsibility of home ownership on yourself while they just pay for the basic mortgage. You're still liable for repairs and everything; they aren't.

E: I'm not being snappy, I just honestly don't understand. Is the goal to do away with renting? Because some folks seem to want to rent rather than buy because of repairs and stuff like that? I really want to understand this.

naem
May 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

Before this is over any milennial will be able to get an extremely affordable apartment in an empty former nursing home for next to nothing

it’s the american dream

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Can someone explain why this one is problematic to me? Because I mean, if you're literally not profiting off people who want to rent your home, I'm lost as to why that's bad. You're basically taking all the responsibility of home ownership on yourself while they just pay for the basic mortgage. You're still liable for repairs and everything; they aren't.

E: I'm not being snappy, I just honestly don't understand. Is the goal to do away with renting? Because some folks seem to want to rent rather than buy because of repairs and stuff like that? I really want to understand this.

Buy-to-let is basically profiteering on an essential human right - a home. If you think buy-to-let isn't for profit, you don't understand it. People aren't intending to break even. People already with money and a home drive up prices for everybody else because they are the ones most able to afford and qualify for buy-to-let mortgages, there is no intention of living in that property. On top of that, in times of crisis, BTL mortgages are extremely volatile because they are paid back with an unreliable income source - i.e. rent, which of course played a notable role in the Financial Crisis of 2008.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Jeza covered the important part, so I'm going to add that if you don't have multiple income sources or savings that can cover the cost of the mortgage payment for the period of time it takes to recover you are literally one disaster away from your own position being affected by the renter's position. You must at a minimum maintain enough savings to cover the amount of time and expense it would take to evict a renter. Many landlords fail to do this.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's probably not local to OP. A lot of housing markets are seeing the same.

We're house shopping in the northeast right now and routinely getting list price bids blown out of the water. It's a combo of historically low interest rates and minimal supply since people probably don't want the public trampling trough their house during a pandemic. Then there's the urban flight. It's tough to justify paying 50% higher for city rents when the effective utility of city living with no backyard of your own is zero right now.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

no pubes yet sorry posted:

big cummers ONLY is a good username

Username / post combo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well so much for that!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MarcusSA posted:

Well so much for that!

Indoor dining, but yeah. It was incredibly dumb to let places reopen for indoor poo poo

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1278413075327021056

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 1, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

Newsom announced “guidelines” for reopening then put responsibility on local county officials

this cleverly let the state take credit if things went well and blame counties if it’s a mess

they just rolled all that back as the state takes control back to lock down almost all counties again as cases spiked hard

because you know, “don’t reopen there’s a drat virus” lol

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Talked to my mom today who lives in South FL. Despite the governer's horrible policy, on a local level it's different. She says Miami and Broward counties are locked down/going back on lockdown, mandatory masking. Even people walking around in the streets are almost always masked up. Same situation inside grocery stores and stuff.

At least not all of the local governments, and the populace, at least in some areas, aren't active death cultists.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Konstantin posted:

My mother, who is in her late 60s, was considering selling her home in Nebraska and moving to her winter property in Arizona year round. She is retired and knows to practice social distancing. Should she hold off on the sale considering how hosed Arizona is right now, or will the whole country be like that in a month?

I'm from Nebraska myself, and I think that's situational on the per-county level. For example, Dakota County, Nebraska is pretty hosed, but that's not universal. Also. per-capita statistics. Dakota County hit 1/12 known 'roni cases a few days ago.

Nebraska should cross 1,000/100K either today or tomorrow.

Today, Arizona is 1,104/100K, according to CDC. Of course, these update daily.

United States today is 800/100K.

Tuxide fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Our governor in SC is threatening to take away football if people don’t straighten up!

https://twitter.com/MikeABCColumbia/status/1278435125110485000?s=20