Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

Or check by googling, apparently, which is what I did. That’s weird.

A number of indie designers I know really hate this design.

Especially if they're broadly in the 5e OGL space where they're not allowed in the Guild... But surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Speaking of disowning Blood in the Chocolate, the author has.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Reading that, that feels like a genuine, explicit, and though-out apology. I am still priming myself to learn why it was bad.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Leraika posted:

Well god drat. I wasn't expecting that.

I'm glad he's said something.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Leraika posted:

Nice! I've never met the author, but he is a friend of a friend and our mutual friend is definitely very good on these issues, so I'm really happy to see this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
e: nm

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 22, 2020

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"NO APOLOGY IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE HATERS" scream the shitbags.

"Hold my mead."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leraika posted:

This is a good apology. I’m not totally sure how ‘recreating the myths of colonialism literally as reality’ was meant to be a takedown of colonialism, but the dude has clearly learned since then.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

CitizenKeen posted:

Reading that, that feels like a genuine, explicit, and though-out apology. I am still priming myself to learn why it was bad.

Rather than try to read the actual book, I would recommend reading this review here https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/hyphz/blood-in-the-chocolate/, when you're ready. When this all came up, my friends and I read this review and we all agreed to never touch LotFP after that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I love Lancer and think the Ennies are not great, but publicly excoriating something you(r company) signed up for tempers my admiration of what was otherwise a stellar call-out. I really wish it wouldn't have been submitted in the first place.
Nobody at Massif Press submitted it for the Ennies. They basically found out when the nominees were announced.

e: whoops, missed some posts and I'm incorrect.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Evil Mastermind posted:

Nobody at Massif Press submitted it for the Ennies. They basically found out when the nominees were announced.

Nah, someone did...a year ago, unaware of the history, and on,y learned it when the rest of the company was like ‘wait, what’ and educated him when the noms went up. He said so on Twitter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

This is a good apology. I’m not totally sure how ‘recreating the myths of colonialism literally as reality’ was meant to be a takedown of colonialism, but the dude has clearly learned since then.

For me the standout part of the apology is the explanation that, essentially, in order to fit in with the "cool kids" doing LotFP stuff they felt compelled to add all the shock value stuff like rape and body horror and fart curses etc. It makes it clear that a lot of this stuff really is just following the leader to maintain a brand of "things a 13 year old would find edgy" instead of any grand artistic statement.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That is a shockingly good apology, and addresses the wrongdoing and what brought it about. It even includes a plan of action for the future, in removing the book from DTRPG when possible.

It also makes Rients look like even more of a wad, so that’s great too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Green Intern posted:

That is a shockingly good apology, and addresses the wrongdoing and what brought it about. It even includes a plan of action for the future, in removing the book from DTRPG when possible.

It also makes Rients look like even more of a wad, so that’s great too.

Also for kicks one could respond to the official LotFP account that was all 'hey you can buy our actually award-winning ENnie product' when Massif made their post with something like 'yeah, but do it in the next year because the original writer dislikes the work so much they wants it scrubbed.'

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My FLGS is good people.

https://www.facebook.com/291890157578509/posts/2654761017958066/

quote:

Ok, serious note for today about Cards Against Humanity.
We were made aware on Sunday of an article going around from Polygon about bad management practices and bad culture at Cards Against Humanity. These practices included making POC & LGBTQ+ feel like their voices were not being heard or taken seriously at the company, including when other employees stepped over the line. People who raised issues were fired from the company or worse.

Cards Against Humanity put out a statement detailing all of the steps they were going to take to fix their problems, including the fact that their CEO stepped down from the company. The article I am including today talks about the employees of CAH unionizing to make sure the changes happen.

We sincerely hope that CAH can turn the ship around. However, even though Max stepped down, he is still an owner of the company. Given everything we know, we have made the decision that we are going to phase CAH out of Red Raccoon Games at least until we see some proof that the culture has truely changed, and the company has made good on many promises.

We talked internally about simply throwing all of our CAH stock away, but the unfortunate truth is that in a COVID19 world, RRG cannot afford to take kind of a loss. We had just re-ordered product right before the articles came out.

What we can do is make this promise to all of you - any profits made off of selling the remainder of our CAH inventory will be donated to BloNo organizations dedicated to creating a more peaceful, just, and inclusive community for us all. We will announce amounts and who the money is going to at a later date.

It was suggested by a customer we asked for an opinion that we should make a bonfire of the games, but that is way too close to book burning to make us comfortable. But if you wish to drop your purchase in the trash can, we will respect that decision.

TL:DR - We're not buying anything new until we see proof of change, and we're donating any profits on CAH.

https://kotaku.com/cards-against-hu...NETCOwm63DHdiE8

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is a pretty nice post but I cannot possibly share even their tentative optimism considering part of CAH's response was a ridiculous list of "I don't see color/my black friend"-style stuff.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

CitizenKeen posted:

Didn't someone post up thread that he'd written another adventure with similar themes?

So, yes it's a good apology, but if he's done a bunch of similar products, or even just one other, then not only was now the time to apologise for them as well but maybe he needs to take a long look at himself for the themes he's writing about.

That's not taking away from the apology, which was good, and raggi and lotfrp are both poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PST posted:

Didn't someone post up thread that he'd written another adventure with similar themes?

I saw a title of his that was "Perils of the Fat Princess", but I did not dare investigate any further.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
real talk why cant folks keep their weird sex poo poo and their ttrpgin separate

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw a title of his that was "Perils of the Fat Princess", but I did not dare investigate any further.

I took the plunge: it's a 2014 one-page mini-adventure for 1st level 5e characters. Villain has kidnapped a princess and used magic cakes to fatten her up to make her into a sacrifice for an old god, and you rescue her while avoiding said magic cakes flying into your mouth. Still pretty obvious what the guy's kink is, but it's pretty tame compared to Blood in the Chocolate.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The presence of kink in RPGs is a long, long discussion, but there is definitely a difference between something that is kinky and fun and something that is kinky and deeply, deeply unsettling. It seems that Fat Princess is the former and BitC is the latter.

What I’ve seen of Kiel’s work since BitC does seem in line with his apology, where BitC was made as excessively edgy to try to appeal to what he saw as “the cool crowd,” and that he’s since learned better since.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

The Chairman posted:

I took the plunge: it's a 2014 one-page mini-adventure for 1st level 5e characters. Villain has kidnapped a princess and used magic cakes to fatten her up to make her into a sacrifice for an old god, and you rescue her while avoiding said magic cakes flying into your mouth. Still pretty obvious what the guy's kink is, but it's pretty tame compared to Blood in the Chocolate.

It's also almost certainly a reference to a video game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Princess

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The weird kink poo poo is weird kink poo poo, but the real problems with Blood in the Chocolate (and the things he rightly denounces and apologizes for) are all the racism and sexual assault.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Johnny Landmine posted:

The weird kink poo poo is weird kink poo poo, but the real problems with Blood in the Chocolate (and the things he rightly denounces and apologizes for) are all the racism and sexual assault.

Yeah I said as much on twitter and elsewhere, the problems with Blood in the Chocolate go way beyond someone's inflation/feeding fetish stuff which isn't my cup of tea but if that's all it was I'd just be like "yeah whatever" and move along.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also, you know, time being linear BitC seems to postdate the other by years so it's not exactly evidence that the person kept on chugging with this afterwards.

That's like pointing to a dumb "edgy" joke I did when I was 14 and saying I'm not profoundly sad about it by showing another joke I did when 13.

Dude wrote some hosed up poo poo, but seems to have done an actual, real apology for once in this whole ever so while I'm not gonna die defending them, I'll at least defend the concept of linear time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Unfortunately, we are currently living in a period of time dilation

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Green Intern posted:

About the only further step he could take would be donating the proceeds to charity, but if he isn't in a position to do that - as many freelancer wouldn't be - that's fine. This was a model apology; almost of all of the times it uses "I" it's in the context of "I hosed up", which is exactly right for an apology..

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Farg posted:

real talk why cant folks keep their weird sex poo poo and their ttrpgin separate

(from Gunshow)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

how do we not have :whizzard:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

how do we not have :whizzard:

No one wants to spend money on it

E: and frankly until the forums sale is complete, maybe don’t?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Mors Rattus posted:

No one wants to spend money on it

E: and frankly until the forums sale is complete, maybe don’t?

even prior to this mess

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

If you strip out all the obvious kink poo poo, fetish bait, sexism, rape, and gratuitous racism there's nothing in the module.

...and not to rag on the author's apology (which I admit is better than most) but, 'I thought I was writing a brilliant takedown of colonialism!' is bullshit, and no one should believe that for a second. It was written in 2017 ffs, not 1970.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's pretty easy to believe that he told himself it was a clever takedown of imperialism and not juvenile one-upping.

It's the same crap you'll hear from people talking about up CAH as a tool for exploring racism.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You get a lot of "edgelord reproduction of lovely thing is actually satire because I a non-bigot wrote it" floating around and it's a fairly easy trap to fall into if you've led a privileged life.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

mllaneza posted:

About the only further step he could take would be donating the proceeds to charity, but if he isn't in a position to do that - as many freelancer wouldn't be - that's fine. This was a model apology; almost of all of the times it uses "I" it's in the context of "I hosed up", which is exactly right for an apology..

Someone actually suggested that and he responded favorably:

https://twitter.com/josieundead/status/1278367045315420165

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Meinberg posted:

The presence of kink in RPGs is a long, long discussion, but there is definitely a difference between something that is kinky and fun and something that is kinky and deeply, deeply unsettling. It seems that Fat Princess is the former and BitC is the latter.

One person's fun is another person's deeply unsettling, which is why it's so difficult to draw clear guidelines for what is good and bad "inserting your fetish into a piece of fiction". The more offbeat someone's fetish is the easier it is to notice when they shove it in your face, but I don't think we should give Tarantino a pass just because someone might not realize on a first viewing that the camera lingered a lot on Uma Thurman's feet for a very specific reason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't particularly care about other people's fetishes being in their stuff.

So long as the parties involved are consenting without any type of coercion either direct or implied I don't care.

Tarantino's foot fetish is non existent on my list of problems with him.

Who cares if dude has an expansion fetish and can get his players to enthusiastically consent to that poo poo.

It gets more murky when creating for public consumption, but a foot fetish is like basic normie poo poo. Once you get into like the things you fetish being like crimes is when you run into issues.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

LatwPIAT posted:

One person's fun is another person's deeply unsettling, which is why it's so difficult to draw clear guidelines for what is good and bad "inserting your fetish into a piece of fiction". The more offbeat someone's fetish is the easier it is to notice when they shove it in your face, but I don't think we should give Tarantino a pass just because someone might not realize on a first viewing that the camera lingered a lot on Uma Thurman's feet for a very specific reason.

I noticed in one scene in Kill Bill and thought it was a reference to FDR's quote about spending a week learning to move your big toe.

Ah, the innocence of (relative) youth.

And of course on top of all that, there's the fact that the rampant sexualization of women is completely normalized if you're just into skin-tight outfits on boobs and butts like a "normal American man" or whatever. If that's what gets you going (rather than feet or w/e) pretty much every movie has some loving camera lingers for you.

In terms of when inserting it is good or bad, I just sort of wish authors would tag "I find some stuff in here sexy," and give broad-strokes details of what. I get that people think they're clever with "well if you're into it great, otherwise it's horror," but it's generally pretty easy to tell when the author is into it, and that doesn't make it creepy in the good way. Better to just own it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dexo posted:

So long as the parties involved are consenting without any type of coercion either direct or implied I don't care.

Tarantino's foot fetish is non existent on my list of problems with him.

So are you saying that every viewer of a Tarantino movie consented to be involved with his foot fetish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dexo posted:

It gets more murky when creating for public consumption, but a foot fetish is like basic normie poo poo. Once you get into like the things you fetish being like crimes is when you run into issues.

Tying someone to a chair against their will is definitely a crime.

However, if that person is a character played by Scarlet Johansson, you can put it in your movie and nobody will bat an eye at your non-consensual bondage fantasies because tied-up women is basic normie poo poo in TV and film.