Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Cool, I'll check those both out. I'm always open to other suggestions as well. It seems lik epeople are still talking about NGU so now I' mbummed I lost my save again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Agent355 posted:

Cool, I'll check those both out. I'm always open to other suggestions as well. It seems lik epeople are still talking about NGU so now I' mbummed I lost my save again.

four gee is about to put out i think the penultimate content patch.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Glad he's still making money at it! I was hear when he first was able to turn it into an actual living wage job, which is still pretty neat.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Agent355 posted:

Popping in after like a year or something. Any new hotness? I played the gently caress out of NGU until I lost my year old save file and didn't feel like starting over.

Any new neat stuff to check out?

I've been playing around with Ordinal Markup for the last few days but it is a very slow game and also extremely obtuse

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Patcail/ordinal-markup

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Eldercain posted:

four gee is about to put out i think the penultimate content patch.

it might be 3 or 4.

But for sure narratively it'll come together and i'll try to make some sort of conclusion to the "plot"

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Are you going to address the fact that it is not possible to BB sad NGUs? This is outrageous!

*rips out hair*

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ineptitude posted:

Are you going to address the fact that it is not possible to BB sad NGUs? This is outrageous!

*rips out hair*

I mean, it is possible. Just very, very difficult.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

I've been playing around with Ordinal Markup for the last few days but it is a very slow game and also extremely obtuse

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Patcail/ordinal-markup

I was coming in to post about this

I think i've hit a standstill and i don't know where to go next. The wiki is worthless because it's 2020 and apparently Discord pins are where the most up to date order for doing challenges are

And the discord has a million loving channels and you're supposed to switch channels the second you pass whatever arbitrary point

But according to the pins i should be doing challenge 6x3 right now and i can't seem to get my number above 4.814e50. And the discord community answered my question with, no joke,

quote:

Then 1e100

Which doesn't help in any way.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Len posted:

I think i've hit a standstill and i don't know where to go next. The wiki is worthless because it's 2020 and apparently Discord pins are where the most up to date order for doing challenges are

And the discord has a million loving channels and you're supposed to switch channels the second you pass whatever arbitrary point

But according to the pins i should be doing challenge 6x3 right now and i can't seem to get my number above 4.814e50. And the discord community answered my question with, no joke,

For 6x3, checking the chart:
FB 22+
Challenges 1 through 4 all x3
Challenge 5 x2
Challenge 7 x1
Build: u244 (and yes, u244, not u243-and-later-get-4, because challenges 6 and 7 don't let you buy upgrades mid-challenge)

While that chart doesn't show incrementy, you'd probably also want incrementy upgrades up through and including 1e19.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

the wiki's been reorganized in the past few days to be a lot more useful including a goddamned challenge roadmap showing when to do what challenges with what build instead of that awful chart

challenge 6 can be a bit of a bitch because of decrementy, so basically its more or less just keep mashing markup and factor shift/max all, and eventually you'll get up to it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

why do they give me the ability to unlock something by beating tax++ 25 times but presumably don't let me access it until i beat no runes once

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Aurora posted:

why do they give me the ability to unlock something by beating tax++ 25 times but presumably don't let me access it until i beat no runes once

You can beat Tax++ 25 times without beating No Runes once?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's only like 86k mythos shards

meanwhile i'm sitting at e49.65M coins on a non-challenge run

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Aurora posted:

it's only like 86k mythos shards

meanwhile i'm sitting at e49.65M coins on a non-challenge run
Which is the third reincarnation challenge? I thought that was tax++. If so then e50 coins on normal runs wouldn't get there .

If it is the first reincarnation challenge then yeah that sounds about where I was.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's the first one yeah, third is cost++

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Klungar posted:

I mean, it is possible. Just very, very difficult.

How? By hyper focusing on it through cards?

I have all the NGU items except the scissors, capped E/M power and cap, almost capped hacks, 5k% from cards and im not even halfway to BBing NGU PP or magic adventure with both a and b potions

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Aurora posted:

idk it was like a week gap for me, I think it's so there's something in the tab when you click it

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Does Synergism still have a several days long wait once you get to reincarnation to get all the obtanium researches?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Does Synergism still have a several days long wait once you get to reincarnation to get all the obtanium researches?

You'll be working on researches that increase obtainium for longer than that, but if you mean "focus purely on auto-obtainium before you can get around to anything else, right at the very start of reincarnation", then no, that part takes maybe a day? The speed compounds as you actually buy those researches (the same is true for later get-more-obtainium researches, of course).

That said, reincarnation - and especially reincarnation after you finish out the initial 15 columns of researches - is absolutely when the game shifts from being relatively active into more of a check-back-periodically-and-spend-stuff idle game. It's still got gratifying mechanics that feed off each other later on (ants in particular come to mind), but it does slow down.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Vil posted:

You'll be working on researches that increase obtainium for longer than that, but if you mean "focus purely on auto-obtainium before you can get around to anything else, right at the very start of reincarnation", then no, that part takes maybe a day? The speed compounds as you actually buy those researches (the same is true for later get-more-obtainium researches, of course).

That said, reincarnation - and especially reincarnation after you finish out the initial 15 columns of researches - is absolutely when the game shifts from being relatively active into more of a check-back-periodically-and-spend-stuff idle game. It's still got gratifying mechanics that feed off each other later on (ants in particular come to mind), but it does slow down.

IIRC it was already weird how you go from pretty active play to just letting it run for half an hour for the offerings while ramping up to Reincarnation. Fun game though

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Vil posted:

That changes with ants. The "optimal" ant reset time is at the 15 minute mark, but letting them go longer has benefits to other things. So you can balance it however you want -- lots of fast resets or longer idle runs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That changes with ants. The "optimal" ant reset time is at the 15 minute mark, but letting them go longer has benefits to other things. So you can balance it however you want -- lots of fast resets or longer idle runs.

Nah, it's pretty thoroughly mathed out that unless you just need raw coin multiplier from crumbs, the correct time to sacrifice ants in all other situations is 15 minutes of in-game time.

It's actually really frustrating because at my level of progression (c10x2 done), "fifteen minutes" is like two minutes real-time and I am not going to sit and babysit the loving ant hill every 2 minutes.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Platonic just announced an update today in the discord that will be out in a few hours that sounds like it'll make that part of the game much faster, he's rebalancing all the get obtanium researches

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, it's pretty thoroughly mathed out that unless you just need raw coin multiplier from crumbs, the correct time to sacrifice ants in all other situations is 15 minutes of in-game time.

It's actually really frustrating because at my level of progression (c10x2 done), "fifteen minutes" is like two minutes real-time and I am not going to sit and babysit the loving ant hill every 2 minutes.

I wrote an autohotkey script to auto-sacrifice every 15 minutes. :shh:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tangentially related to idle games, but Kongregate won't be accepting new games as of late July

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol wtf

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That reads like the eventual goal is to just kill the user-made games and only have Kongregate-made (or Kongregate approved) games supported with Flash dying as an excuse. There's no reason to stop people from submitting games entirely or make their game forums read-only when it's only Flash that's dying and a lot of browsers have cut it off already.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That reads like the eventual goal is to just kill the user-made games and only have Kongregate-made (or Kongregate approved) games supported with Flash dying as an excuse. There's no reason to stop people from submitting games entirely or make their game forums read-only when it's only Flash that's dying and a lot of browsers have cut it off already.

Between their catalog being decimated by flash dying and not accepting anything new i'm not real sure they're doing anything except potentially looking to sell, because "stop doing anything" is not really a great business plan

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eldercain posted:

Between their catalog being decimated by flash dying and not accepting anything new i'm not real sure they're doing anything except potentially looking to sell, because "stop doing anything" is not really a great business plan

They already sold, this is just announcement from the people coming to haul off the office furniture and start stripping the copper wires out of the walls.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Decimated, sure, maybe even centimated, but there's still quite a few games that aren't made in Flash on their site put together even before browsers stopped supporting Flash. I guess if they've already liquidated everything it doesn't matter though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Eldercain posted:

Searching on twitter it looks like a lot of people are posting about getting laid off from there today. Agreed that there's probably not much of a business plan left

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hmmm. Might need to move my NGU save from Kartridge to Steam then.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Glad that something escaped to Steam, wow. :unsmith:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
As most of you know, Kongregate.com was first created in 2006. The gaming industry has changed a lot since then! For instance, no one plays games anymore. Therefore, we will be rolling out several changes to the website in response to this exciting development.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Pigbuster posted:

As most of you know, Kongregate.com was first created in 2006. The gaming industry has changed a lot since then! For instance, no one plays games anymore. Therefore, we will be rolling out several changes to the website in response to this exciting development.

lmao

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

lmao

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
lmao

but also :smith: cause now ngu's future on Kong is super grim.

if i didnt move to steam as soon as i did i would be capital F hosed right about now.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Aurora posted:

Ah, yeah, I was thinking you were referring to Cost++ (c8). The real answer is is that c6 25/25 didn’t use to give a trinket and it was just added in when the feature was added, so the progression doesn’t really work right.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Pigbuster posted:

i know this is a joke but i wonder if less people at offices playing flash/web games and just playing other games at home instead has a significant enough impact on the small games market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Also you can play games on your phone, you don't need to play games on your work computer.