Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
She flies now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Poe was to be confronted by a gang of assassins, who were all the same species as the fish nuns from TLJ.

i think this part isnt getting enough love

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Rey should have been ambushed by those assassins, and she should have had to sheepishly ask her friends to spend her enough money to pay for the wheelbarrow she broke

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That moment in TFA when Rey and Leia meet for the first time but hug as though they are old friends is basically everything you need to know about how the filmmakers bent over backwards to make this poo poo work, and utterly failed every single step of the way. Her relationship to the Skywalkers is so loving thin and stupid. Almost as stupid as if like.... Han and Leia named their kid after Obi-Wan or something. These movies were absolutely tortured.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wonder how the writers settled on Ben. I guess who else would Leia and Han name their child after?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I wonder how the writers settled on Ben. I guess who else would Leia and Han name their child after?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Why not just give him a new name? Just because he has to be the painfully belabored “character with a huge legacy to uphold who rebels against it” presumably?

(thinking about it the name ties him to every hero from the OT: Han and Leiai’s son, Luke’s student, Obi Wan’s namesake)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Leia and Han were definitely a faulty power coupling

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

OctoberCountry posted:

nice

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Jewmanji posted:

Almost as stupid as if like.... Han and Leia named their kid after Obi-Wan or something. These movies were absolutely tortured.

Lmao I never even thought of that.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

god drat lmao

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ackbar Solo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Jizz Solo

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Why not just give him a new name? Just because he has to be the painfully belabored “character with a huge legacy to uphold who rebels against it” presumably?

(thinking about it the name ties him to every hero from the OT: Han and Leia’s son, Luke’s student, Obi Wan’s namesake)

They did have a different name for him initially. Early concept art for TFA had a character named Skylar/Sam that was strongly coded as Han Solo's son (early storyboards for the opening sequence had him working with Chewie and Artoo to scavenge an old Star Destroyer), so the name Ben came later, when he merged with the Jedi Killer character.

I feel like Ben works as a name in that context, because when Han shouts it on the bridge, it's a big reveal. If his name was Skylar, Sam, or Jacen, then it might take the audience a second to digest it because it's unfamiliar. With Ben, the audience is not only already familiar with the name, but there's 40 years of precendent for what someone with that name is supposed to be like, and the stark contrast between that and what Kylo has become makes the reveal more impactful.

It's the sort of thing that makes less sense the more you think about it, but is perfect to strike the base part of the fanboy brain with a rush of stimulus and quickly add characterization at an important moment.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I said it a few pages back but the most charitable interpretation of ben's name is that it implicates luke's heavy handed role in attempting to shape him

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1278099121329577985?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought that tweet was mocking neoliberals but the fact that she tagged Hamill makes me believe that she's being sincere.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Please no

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i hate star wars

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It says everything about JJ that he thoguht a 19-year old kid becoming Admiral after his father died was normal.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"Ben" isn't even the dumbest part of Ben Solo's name.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It says everything about JJ that he thoguht a 19-year old kid becoming Admiral after his father died was normal.

"Star Wars is about nepotism legacy."

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Robot Style posted:

The initial question that got JJ interested was "who is Luke Skywalker", and the idea of him as a mythological figure

God this is such a stupid interpretation of the character. Luke is interesting precisely because he's not “mythological” in the sense of being a super-being—his psychic powers have essentially nothing to do with his eventual triumph over evil.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not-even-graduated Cadet -> Captain. Checks out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There’s a shorter version of this that i’ve seen before, but this one is much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9j7kLG7VK8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To add to the conversation that got directed here from GenChat: droids are absolutely coded as slaves, and the droid armies aren't an uprising- they're slave warriors, which have historical precedent. (Mamelukes)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Zoran posted:

God this is such a stupid interpretation of the character. Luke is interesting precisely because he's not “mythological” in the sense of being a super-being—his psychic powers have essentially nothing to do with his eventual triumph over evil.

In fact Luke never even triumphed over evil! Darth Vader triumphed over evil!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Yes, Anakin was the chosen one.

Except lol no he wasn't, it was Rey all along.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zoran posted:

I wouldn't write it off completely. Some of the better parts of TFA are about how Luke is understood in the wake of the star war: how there are weird little cults worshiping him, and how both the old guard in the Resistance and the more religious of the First Order seem to revere him. Even Maz has a side hustle pawning off his artifacts to the comers and goers. All this involves his mythological status as distinct from his psychic powers.

It falls through not because it isn't an interesting question, but because the films fail to explore it. TFA drops it midway through in favor of the Death Star 3, and TLJ isn't able to capitalize on it because it has the pay off (Luke's miraculous return) without the build up (we still don't know what the people actually think of him).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I honestly think the most interesting parts of TFA are near the beginning with Rey and Finn having to grapple with these massive legacies, these cultural ideas. Rey picking poo poo out of a decaying Star Destroyer is, yes, kind of emblematic of JJ's approach to the Star Wars universe, "make people remember a better movie," but there's also legitimately interesting parallels there. The Star Destroyer, an instantly recognizable icon of galactic oppression, was abandoned and left behind, just like her. The galaxy was "saved," but it's still broken, and the effects of the last war haven't even really been cleaned up yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, I cannot imagine how JJ and Terrio thought Rian Johnson's intended message with the de-(and eventual re-)mythologization of Luke Skywalker and the last shot of his movie was that the Skywalkers are inherently special, to the point where other inherently special people are now granted Skywalker status!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually just rewatched TFA this week for the first time since seeing ROS and it's really really striking just how much of Finn's character development is just tossed completely in the garbage after that movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Absolutely. On a purely conceptual level, all these ideas are very interesting and worth exploring.

What a shame that didn't happen!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Finn's puritanical disgust for spice dealing that turns up in RoS was a particularly weird character trait to come out of nowhere.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gonz posted:

There’s a shorter version of this that i’ve seen before, but this one is much better.

Yeah, that's a pro-click. That actually adds depth to Guinnesses' acting.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
It’s time to consider that Finn may have experienced some kind of traumatic psychological injury at the end of TFA, and the bacta only healed him physically.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Perhaps he had a hodor esque experience after TLJ, which would explain him only being able to say 'Rey!!'

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Finn's puritanical disgust for spice dealing that turns up in RoS was a particularly weird character trait to come out of nowhere.

Also how shocked he is that Poe, a military spy and pilot, knows how to hot-wire a vehicle

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Perhaps Finn even died, and the character we meet at the beginning of TLJ is a brand new clone who has somehow broken out of the cloning tank without a complete memory imprint and training? Maybe Sheev did it! That’s why a janitor was sent with Kylo’s extermination party– he’s a sort of reverse-Manchurian Candidate meant to destabilize the Resistance/FO and maybe draw out one of Sheev’s grandchildren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that's a pro-click. That actually adds depth to Guinnesses' acting.

I wouldn’t say it “adds depth.” Remembering his time at war, and the accompanying PTSD/shellshock (not sure if “PTSD” was classified as such in 1975) was always part of the script, and thus the actor’s performance. It certainly contextualizes and gives us more specificity and allows us to really hone in on what was a very brief moment, but the moment was already there. The depth was already there, in his performance.