Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

How can I time chain attacks using AI Dunban? Is there any way I can tell when Dunban’s talent gage is full?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ogmius815 posted:

How can I time chain attacks using AI Dunban? Is there any way I can tell when Dunban’s talent gage is full?

The easiest way is to link Shulk's "Glorious Future" skill; every time you get a vision, he'll get full talent gauge and you can just hit the chain button immediately.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ogmius815 posted:

The AI characters do have a callout for when their Talent gauge is full. Riki says "Riki show Heropon special move" or something like. I don't know what Dunban's is, but he'll definitely say something.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The reality is that you should generally be able to build combos that go 6 or so deep with Dunban around with most comps that actually care about chain attacks, and if his gauge isn't full at the start of your combo, you should be able to fill it by the time you need him to pivot colors because he is a crit machine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lmao I booted up XB2 on a whim for the first time in two years, open a legendary core crystal I got from the final DLC pack and immedately roll Zenobia on my first dip. After 102 hours of gameplay and going mad at the gatcha system she'd literally been one more roll away ... guess I'm at least setup for my NG+ playthrough now

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Honestly the phrase "gacha system" is all that was necessary to ensure that I never play Xenoblade II.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

Honestly the phrase "gacha system" is all that was necessary to ensure that I never play Xenoblade II.

It's inexplicable

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

multijoe posted:

It's inexplicable

I guess the reasoning was probably "the gameplay of this series mimics online RPGs, so let's add an equivalent to the random loot mechanics that hinder high level character progression in those games." But that's a terrible idea.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In theory it means every person’s playthrough will be different because you won’t necessarily get the same Blades! It’s fine if you want to just play through the game once. It’s bad if you want to get all of the Blades.

Edit: also not every Blade is good so you could end up with some really lovely ones although the ones you get through the story and from Quests are all good enough to get you though if you add in the few pity blades you’re guaranteed to get.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

multijoe posted:

It's inexplicable

I never got KOSMOS. Apparently it's lower than a 1% chance?

It was always weird to me in XC2 when you enter the Nopon Trial area and Shulk pops up with the Monado and none of the XC2 characters react at all.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

In theory it means every person’s playthrough will be different because you won’t necessarily get the same Blades! It’s fine if you want to just play through the game once. It’s bad if you want to get all of the Blades.

Edit: also not every Blade is good so you could end up with some really lovely ones although the ones you get through the story and from Quests are all good enough to get you though if you add in the few pity blades you’re guaranteed to get.

Like, if I played XC2, I would have to worry about getting gimpy blades and having a bad time. That sucks. I don't want that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ogmius815 posted:

Like, if I played XC2, I would have to worry about getting gimpy blades and having a bad time. That sucks. I don't want that.

There are a number of actively good Blades that you just get by default, and Common Blades aren't to be scoffed at. You'll be fine.

e: Also, if you buy Torna, you get the Expansion Pass for vanilla, which gives you a poo poo ton of Rare and Legendary cores out of the gate. You'll basically start the game with a number of Rare Blades that you can just see if you like.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
You can completely demolish XB2 with whatever blades you get, and most of the broken stuff involves story or DLC blades anyway

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God anime tropes are so funny. I started xenoblade's dlc story up or whatever you wanna call it and had some High Entia dude with the closed anime eyes walk up, wearing all black and purple, muttering about 'pure blooded fools' all while acting like he's not going to backstab instantly at some point.

Like guys it doesn't *have* to be that obvious really

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You can completely demolish XB2 with whatever blades you get, and most of the broken stuff involves story or DLC blades anyway

The fact that you can just get Corvin, a stupidly good Light Blade that's even better than KOS-MOS, with basically no effort and no gacha is a testament to how overblown the gacha mechanic is in regard to casual play.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It still feels like poo poo though when you precision miss and also leads to the huge bloat of Blade management, periodically binning the dud common Blades and sending the others on their busywork tasks. The game would be so much better if all the unique Blades were hand-placed and tied to quests or exploration

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

multijoe posted:

It still feels like poo poo though when you precision miss and also leads to the huge bloat of Blade management, periodically binning the dud common Blades and sending the others on their busywork tasks. The game would be so much better if all the unique Blades were hand-placed and tied to quests or exploration

This is the other thing. Quests that lead to unique weapon are good content. Replacing the opportunity for that content with something as awful as a gacha mechanic just seems dumb. That's especially vexing in a game that, I assume based on XC1, is full of generic filler quests.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ogmius815 posted:

Quests that lead to unique weapon are good content. Replacing the opportunity for that content with something as awful as a gacha mechanic just seems dumb.

The only thing locked behind quests is story and bonus EXP. You won't miss out on anything you can't get otherwise by not having a specific Blade. The stories can be pretty fun, but most of them are whatever.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'll grant the Xenoblade AI one thing, when Reyn refused to topple the enemy I thought it was because he was being extra-dumb, but when I forced him to with a chain attack I discovered the Topple-Spike and immediately died of my own hubris.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Takoluka posted:

The fact that you can just get Corvin, a stupidly good Light Blade that's even better than KOS-MOS, with basically no effort and no gacha is a testament to how overblown the gacha mechanic is in regard to casual play.

real brain genius move to keep defending the gacha system by pointing out that you can spend money to make it less of a problem

Ogmius815 posted:

This is the other thing. Quests that lead to unique weapon are good content. Replacing the opportunity for that content with something as awful as a gacha mechanic just seems dumb. That's especially vexing in a game that, I assume based on XC1, is full of generic filler quests.

Every XC2 quest is bespoke, actually. There aren't that many of them, they still aren't very interesting, the rewards are mostly worthless, and the quest tracking is the worst in the series, but just about every one has unique dialogue, multiple steps, etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If the devs wanted every playthrough with the blades to be different they should have made two tiers of crystals, commons and rares with rare crystals always giving a rare blade and then just reduced the number of those so every playthrough you get different ones.

They also probably should have caught the ice healer blade that takes ~40 hours to unlock max affinity

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Barudak posted:

They also probably should have caught the ice healer blade that takes ~40 hours to unlock max affinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGAY7sggua8

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

It's a neat trick actually; if you're the sort of completist that cares about finishing Usula's Blade Quest, you're also the sort of completist that wants to fill in every affinity chart. Given that Ursula is one of the more common rare blades, assuming you're not just turbofucked and get her relatively early, you just keep her missions rolling at all times while you do other poo poo, and, at the price of needing to open the menu every 8 minutes or so, you will always have maxed affinity charts on any blades you care about.

Is it insane, dumb, and tedious? Sure, but not moreso than, like, anything else you'd do by trying to 100% a loving jrpg of this sort.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Barudak posted:

To be fair, as terrible as she is, her merc missions finish really quickly so they're effective at cycling your blades through levels because they unlock things that aren't plot or killing unique bosses

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is not some secret benefit. Theres no reason for her to take the time she does, she could unlock all her stamp variations and be done and from then on if you want to you could use her to grind other blades. Instead you have to run her through those missions for 40 hours so she isn't useable at all during the time.

If it were more of a choice to balance "have access to Ursula" or "grind blade affinity" itd be fine. Also I maxed out the blades that had to go on missions with her but which involved lots of commons and this is just playing into another bad system of being gacha dependent and common blades existing at all.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 30, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never understood people that did the monster challenges in FFX or Dark Aeonx, so I'm not affected by not collecting blades despite playing a lot of gachas myself.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I love the Ponspectors. If XB3 doesn't have an army of Nopon following you at all times, they shouldn't make it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ometeotl posted:

I don't love the Ponspectors. If XB3 doesn't have an army of Nopon following you at all times, they should make it.

FTFY

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ponspectors were so absurdly powerful they made the super difficult optional enemy in the final side quest pretty easy. Would love to see something ridiculous like that in the next game.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Thanks to whoever said to use the focus attacks command in XB1. I tried it and it makes the Reyn AI use the berserker aura (and holy poo poo that aura makes him strong as hell) and makes the Melia AI actually cast her summons.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Speaking of Reyn, what is/are the ideal setup(s) for his Arts? I understand what to do with everyone else based on the thread discussion and playing but I've always felt like there's something I'm missing with Reyn.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Manoueverable posted:

Speaking of Reyn, what is/are the ideal setup(s) for his Arts? I understand what to do with everyone else based on the thread discussion and playing but I've always felt like there's something I'm missing with Reyn.

Make Berserker the only Aura on his bar; don't give him Aura Burst or Magnum Charge unless he's going to be player controlled.

Give him his Topple and Daze art.

Fill bar with red arts to taste; Lariat is probably his best bread and butter damage move, Dive Sobat applies Paralysis which owns, Bone Upper is good insofar as it combos with Sobat, I like War Swing and Sword Drive to fill it up but it's pretty hard to gently caress up at this point.

(If player controlling, you ABSOLUTELY want to take a red art off to make room for Magnum Charge - probably War Swing or Bone Upper, depending on whether you'd rather have the aoe, and you ABSOLUTELY want to make sure he has Sword Drive.)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sword Drive is hillariously good at the end of red chain attacks regardless of whether or not he's player controlled, I always keep it on there for that alone

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

multijoe posted:

Sword Drive is hillariously good at the end of red chain attacks regardless of whether or not he's player controlled, I always keep it on there for that alone

If you pop zerker before going into a chain attack and use that at the end you can legit one-shot tons of things.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
I don’t like bone upper on an AI Reyn, especially as the AI will spam his mad taunt ASAP, and bone upper has a super short cool down and increases his talent gauge.

I have:
Last Stand
Berserker
Aura Burst
Sword dive
Lariat
Dive Sovat
Wild Down
Shield Bash

He only activates last stand at super low health, and with “Focus Attacks” command, he reliably uses Berzerker then Aura Burst.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Zarfol posted:

I don’t like bone upper on an AI Reyn, especially as the AI will spam his mad taunt ASAP, and bone upper has a super short cool down and increases his talent gauge.

I'm only a few hours in, is this not a good thing? I keep pulling aggro with Shulk and the de-aggro skill has a long CD so I tried to set Reyn up to build up talent gauge as fast as possible.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah, using focus attacks this playthrough has been such a game changer even without the altered arts uses because it seems way more efficient to focus on one enemy at a time in a crowd and then use multi-target arts in chain attacks to soften up the others.

Of course doing this without Reyn, Dunban, or to a lesser extent Riki/Seven makes that strategy a lot less effective.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'm only a few hours in, is this not a good thing? I keep pulling aggro with Shulk and the de-aggro skill has a long CD so I tried to set Reyn up to build up talent gauge as fast as possible.

Early game yeah you want him to charge up and spam his taunt, but later on I haven’t had a problem with him holding aggro once since Berserker aura and lariat/sword drive just do ridiculous damage (and you can get an aggro down gem for shulk later)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Time Reyn spends taunting is time he is not spamming his damage arts, hard aggroing through damage.

Let taunt carry your early game and let it enjoy its late game semi-retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The cosmetic armour option is a goddamn lifesaver for the last character. I can finally use the Speed sets without shame.