Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I've been telling my friends about the cool zone, but they don't believe it. Half of them don't wear masks either. Any advice besides sever?

Sniped, cool and good like masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ehud posted:

Our governor in SC is threatening to take away football if people don’t straighten up!

https://twitter.com/MikeABCColumbia/status/1278435125110485000?s=20

Narrator voice: "He was lying, of course."

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
What is the deal with former maskers taking off the shield? I was talking to a friend on FB and she used to wear a mask all the time. She asked me if I wanted to talk to her friend, I asked if she wore a mask. She didn't know, but I never heard back after that and now she is an anti-masker, how do people get dumber as time passes?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Michael Corleone posted:

I've been telling my friends about the cool zone, but they don't believe it. Half of them don't wear masks either. Any advice besides sever?

Reasoning probably won't work. But you could.ask them whether they would meet their grandma if they know they themselves had covid.
Yes? :sever: they are beyond help
No! Ask them why not, and when they say to protect her/not infect her, tell them that is what masks do. Only not just for grandma but all other people.

It also helps to acknowledge that cloth masks don't really protect you, people like to get hung up on that. Just say yes but reinforce they will protect you from accidentally coughing sneezing or spitting on others.

Maybe even go full on patriot cliche and say when times are tough Americans stand together. This time that means wearing a mask to protect each other.

Not sure it helps but worth a shot.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Saw a thing on youtube from the news and it showed that cloth masks, woven, are actually better for preventing the spread than n95s.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

What is the deal with former maskers taking off the shield? I was talking to a friend on FB and she used to wear a mask all the time. She asked me if I wanted to talk to her friend, I asked if she wore a mask. She didn't know, but I never heard back after that and now she is an anti-masker, how do people get dumber as time passes?

Same reason a lot of people got pissy about lockdown, probably: nobody they know has been affected, so why bother inconveniencing themselves?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Lugubrious posted:

Same reason a lot of people got pissy about lockdown, probably: nobody they know has been affected, so why bother inconveniencing themselves?

I made a post in the cool zone, but yeah I told my dad I won't be seeing him in person until he and my step mom shape it up, he is another un-masker, but it doesn't really matter if his wife doesn't wear one, they are going to Geneva on the Lake a wine district and party place for boomers. They are staying in their trailer at a camp ground, but 'have to go to the winaries b4 they close again'. My like step 'cousin' or whatever she is fights the wife on this and I fight my dad, maybe they will get it someday (not it, i hope).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Michael Corleone posted:

Saw a thing on youtube from the news and it showed that cloth masks, woven, are actually better for preventing the spread than n95s.

Certain weaves in certain ways. The electrostatic attraction of the fibers can trap aerosol particles pretty effectively.

Probably not what the yt video was talking about though.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I feel like the intro to this red letter media video did a good job of summing up trying to talk to people about Corona

https://youtu.be/pQS_bX3sX8s

#aloneaparttogether #stayinsidestayalive #nojobnoprob #thinkaboutgrandma

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Can someone explain why this one is problematic to me? Because I mean, if you're literally not profiting off people who want to rent your home, I'm lost as to why that's bad. You're basically taking all the responsibility of home ownership on yourself while they just pay for the basic mortgage. You're still liable for repairs and everything; they aren't.

E: I'm not being snappy, I just honestly don't understand. Is the goal to do away with renting? Because some folks seem to want to rent rather than buy because of repairs and stuff like that? I really want to understand this.

And in addition to what the others said, the owner gains the equity on each payment, so they are profiting even if 100% of the rent payment just pays for the mortgage and insurance.

If every renter simply didn't want to own their home then that would be fine, but that's almost the opposite of what's true. A lot of people who want to own a house or a condo cannot afford that, and some large fraction of them would be able to if not for the upward price pressure created by people who are just trying to become landlords.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Michael Corleone posted:

Don’t :sever:

:murder:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Michael Corleone posted:

Crisis fatigue and lack of direct consequences (both viral and institutional.) Both of which I totally understand on an emotional level. I'm still trying to be really careful but it sucks to watch summer pass by through your windows, to watch other people acting like this was just a fad and not a pandemic. A lot of people I know are the same, even though things are gearing up to get worse, not better.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/GvjtJo6.gifv

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1278497386822643713

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ehud posted:

Our governor in SC is threatening to take away football if people don’t straighten up!

https://twitter.com/MikeABCColumbia/status/1278435125110485000?s=20

so many people's lives are devoid of meaning without sports fandom

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in the state of Victoria in Australia we nearly had things locked down but it got away from us again and this last week we've had a surge in new infections, so the state government has identified several hotspot suburbs and ordered them to roll back to stricter lockdown conditions while everyone else continues with looser restrictions. My suburb is right next to several hotspot suburbs but no one here seems all that worried, I just went to the supermarket and almost no one was wearing a mask.
Also I overheard one maskless woman having a very loud conversation with someone telling them that she was from one of the hotpsot suburbs but hadn't heard of anyone getting sick in her neighbourhood so she didn't know what the fuss was about ARGH GTFO OUT MY CLEAN SUBURB YOU PLAGUE RAT :argh:

My housemate knew a guy who went tubing on a local river for several hours and had lathered up with sunscreen but forgot to do the back of his legs, and his legs got burnt so badly he ended up in hospital. It happens. :shrug:

"surge in new infections".......77 in a city of 5,000,000.

Locking down the postcodes is the right thing to do, err on the side of caution and all that, but expecting people to freak out because tests have detected 0.00154% of the population of Melbourne has a virus is silly. Sure there are undoubtedly more case and if we just decided to go US style with it, it would be everywhere in 3 months. But we won't, we'll keep testing and isolating people and it will all chug along.

Remember when it was all about just flattening the curve so hospitals won't be overwhelmed? Well in Australia that seems to have morphed into anything above complete eradication is a failure.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

*sigh*

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

gently caress yeah baby

Bring it onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Illuminti posted:

Locking down the postcodes is the right thing to do, err on the side of caution and all that, but expecting people to freak out because tests have detected 0.00154% of the population of Melbourne has a virus is silly. Sure there are undoubtedly more case and if we just decided to go US style with it, it would be everywhere in 3 months. But we won't, we'll keep testing and isolating people and it will all chug along.

Remember when it was all about just flattening the curve so hospitals won't be overwhelmed? Well in Australia that seems to have morphed into anything above complete eradication is a failure.

Australians are not taking this seriously. I was just doing my weekly grocery shopping at a major shopping center in Melbourne. Very few people respecting social distancing, absolutely no white people (other than me) wearing masks. Plenty of people in the stores, puttering around, taking their time not social distancing. To me, a non-Australian, it feels like the whole country has the exact attitude you're spouting. Everything will be fine. We'll get through this.

Yes. This is unlikely to be the literal apocalypse. But if your average Australian just put on a loving mask and stayed home when they didn't have to go out the country could potentially save thousands of lives.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Uh, gently caress

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Sockser posted:

gently caress yeah baby

Bring it onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

God drat at the post and avatar.

BRING IT TO THE BANK, BABY!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whooping Crabs posted:

Uh, gently caress

Number go UP! Bigly number!

Thursday/Friday are usually bigger still so hold on to your drat hats

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Illuminti posted:

Yeah, but a month ago everyone thought Victoria was sweet with 10 cases a day. The week after that, people were grumbling about hot spots causing 20 cases a day. The week after that, everyone was getting concerned with 35 cases a day. Now we have 70 cases a day.

It doesn’t matter if there’s one case or one thousand. Victoria’s current preventative measures allow the virus to double in new cases every week. Isolation and contact tracing aren’t enough at the current level of social restrictions. Something has to be done otherwise at the start of next month, they’ll be recording a thousand new cases every day.

The general lockdown flattened the curve, not the lower case load. If you want to open back up without eradication like the other states have, you need more control methods like masks to take the lockdown's place in suppressing the curve.

You can have the footy, or you can have the government not freak out because a single case can rapidly spread through an uncontrolled population, but you can't have both.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Illuminti posted:

Why the gently caress WOULDN'T you aim for complete eradication if it was in reach? The "flattening the curve" stuff was from back when they were expecting up to 150,000 deaths in Australia and were trying to avoid a worst case scenario and assuming they wouldn't be able to stop it altogether, it was a stop-gap measure and not the preferred outcome.

(Also it turned out that a bunch of the postcodes they announced were closing like Brunswick South and Moonee Vale don't physically exist, they're just used for post office boxes in the middle of actual suburbs. It's weird as poo poo that they were included on the list.)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 2, 2020

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

DickParasite posted:

absolutely no white people (other than me) wearing masks.

hey I saw that!

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

It's a testing epidemic.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Illuminti posted:

lol are you for real?

it spreads from people who don't even know they are infected, and is basically undetectable. when you already have an actual number of people have tested positive, that means you are well into the spread. if you wait until "oh no we have a shitload of people with it" before you realize it's a problem then you are extremely hosed (see italy). maybe it's been too many pages since we had a learning session on exponential growth?

as a thought exercise (this is not some kind of rhetorical trap), how many new infections in a week would you consider serious?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 2, 2020

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
A friend of mine wants to get together on the 4th of July and I said sure, so long as we make sure we maintain a real serious hard limit of distance and wear masks and hang out outside

And the guy started giving me static about it and remarking about how paranoid I am. He is confident he’s quarantined enough that he can’t get anyone sick

I’m not confident I’ve quarantined enough since I live with someone who works in a dialysis clinic and has covid positive patients come through all the time and I’ve been going to work for the last week and a half, and there is the wife of an ER nurse and the daughter of a hospital nurse in my work laboratory.

Like, I feel like I’m going insane here, I want to make sure I don’t infect them and they don’t infect me and everybody stays safe and I’m the one who is being difficult?

this dude is a med student looking to become a doctor

:wtf:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Number go UP! Bigly number!

Thursday/Friday are usually bigger still so hold on to your drat hats

We've completely given up I guess. I saw a headline from Dr. Fauci that we could be seeing 100k new infections per day soon. I'm surprised that we haven't seen a huge spike in deaths, but I suppose that's coming?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Whooping Crabs posted:

We've completely given up I guess. I saw a headline from Dr. Fauci that we could be seeing 100k new infections per day soon. I'm surprised that we haven't seen a huge spike in deaths, but I suppose that's coming?

local governments have not given up. not because they particularly are wonderful stewards of their citizens, but because they are going to have to live with the fallout and that has personal political implications.

trump doesn't give a gently caress, one - because it doesn't have the capacity to care about anyone other than himself and two - he has no long term goal in politics. local politicians who intend to make a life long career out of politics are realizing that their actions now will be carried with them forward for all time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Illuminti posted:

What’s exponential growth?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

QuarkJets posted:

What’s exponential growth?

if you have a penny that doubles every day, in less than a month you will have a million dollers

\/\/\/ lol

dee eight fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 2, 2020

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

dee eight posted:

if you have a penny that doubles every day, in less than a month you will have a million dollers

Just like Bitcoin

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I would like to see demographic breakdowns of the new infections. I wonder if a lot of the newer cases are younger people, which might be why the death rate is lagging.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Whooping Crabs posted:

If someone is gonna die from Corona, it normally takes 4-5 weeks from when they get infected. With hospitals really filling up, the deaths are probably about a week or 2 away

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Amarcarts posted:

I would like to see demographic breakdowns of the new infections. I wonder if a lot of the newer cases are younger people, which might be why the death rate is lagging.

Yes, that is the case. Morons have been using it to argue "Everything's fine, it's not going to spread to older generations!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chamale posted:

Yes, that is the case. Morons have been using it to argue "Everything's fine, it's not going to spread to older generations!"
Yes like my stupid governor

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1278543840367050757?s=20

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

We Are All Going To Die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

rotinaj posted:

A friend of mine wants to get together on the 4th of July and I said sure, so long as we make sure we maintain a real serious hard limit of distance and wear masks and hang out outside

And the guy started giving me static about it and remarking about how paranoid I am. He is confident he’s quarantined enough that he can’t get anyone sick

I’m not confident I’ve quarantined enough since I live with someone who works in a dialysis clinic and has covid positive patients come through all the time and I’ve been going to work for the last week and a half, and there is the wife of an ER nurse and the daughter of a hospital nurse in my work laboratory.

Like, I feel like I’m going insane here, I want to make sure I don’t infect them and they don’t infect me and everybody stays safe and I’m the one who is being difficult?

this dude is a med student looking to become a doctor

:wtf:
I had a friend over last weekend (first time socializing with anyone outside of my household since March). Before we hung out, we both separately got tested on the same day. While we waited for our results, we agreed that our families wouldn't leave our homes whatsoever except for outdoor walks while masked. Luckily we're all working from home so that was fairly easy to achieve. Once we both had negative results, we felt it was safe to hang out at my house and play board games. It might sound paranoid, but for now that's my threshold. Not sure I'll be going through all of that again any time soon, though.