Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Doctor Dogballs posted:

hope so, I just ordered a bunch of TSWBIs in different sizes, hoping to find a new main drawing pen.

The nib on my Eco is a delight(ful surprise). Writes far better than one could expect for $33.50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Does anyone have opinion on BENU pens and this line in particular? - https://www.gouletpens.com/products/benu-briolette-fountain-pen-milky-way

They're gorgeous, and I'd love to used one with the shimmering ink that I'm becoming fond of, but they're just expensive enough that I'd rather not do a blind purchase.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Get the Parrot pen.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
I have both an Eco and Go and both nibs are fantastic. Anecdote is not data but so far TWSBI has done me fine.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Jabarto posted:

Does anyone have opinion on BENU pens and this line in particular? - https://www.gouletpens.com/products/benu-briolette-fountain-pen-milky-way

They're gorgeous, and I'd love to used one with the shimmering ink that I'm becoming fond of, but they're just expensive enough that I'd rather not do a blind purchase.

I’ve got one of the same line in bold that I have vivid red ink in; I use it to mark medications as being discontinued or changed. The one thing that trips me up is that it’s 100% plastic so it sits very lightly in the hand, but otherwise it’s a nice smooth writing experience.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Get the Parrot pen

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

grack posted:

Get the Parrot pen

If, like me, you didn't know what this is referring to, do yourself a favor and GIS it.

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 22, 2020

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Or don't get the parrot pen because it is terrifying.

I have a Benu Minima in the old Blazing Gold color, and it's stunning, except for the bit where one of the flecks of gold is sticking through the surface in the section right where I put my fingers and has turned a bright, vivid green. As a pen, it's very nice; small, well-balanced, with a smooth broad nib that really puts down the ink.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I get why Benu pens are appealing to some people but man their pens are polar opposite to my tastes

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
I just ordered a TWSBI Go! I’m so excited to try it out, and I love the TWSBI nibs and I love travel pens so I’m hoping this will be fun!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kierena posted:

I just ordered a TWSBI Go! I’m so excited to try it out, and I love the TWSBI nibs and I love travel pens so I’m hoping this will be fun!

I’m a huge fan of my own TWSBI Go. That said, I don’t know if I’d consider it a “travel pen”. It’s bigger than an Eco, the cap has no clip, and the filling mechanism means it requires bottled ink, not conveniently sized cartridges.

Is there a particular feature you’re expecting to help with travel, or do you mean something cheap enough to knock around without much worry?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Or don't get the parrot pen because it is terrifying.

Aww, come on. It's not like there are reports of owners waking up in the middle of the night to find the pen floating in mid-air, eyes ablaze, chanting curses in some long-dead language.

At least, no credible reports.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Heath posted:

I get why Benu pens are appealing to some people but man their pens are polar opposite to my tastes

Honestly I'm the same way. I keep talking about my Diplomat A2 because it's an overbuilt piece of metal with an almost anachronistically conservative look, and I love it. But I that specific dark purple one I linked is fun and colorful without going into full-on unicorn barf territory, plus I just love jewel tones in general. The other ones are too over the top for me, especially that tye-died looking one with the honeycomb pattern on the barrel (well, and the Parrot pen, but I actually kinda want one because it looks like something Indiana Jones would loot from a temple).

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

One cannot own a parrot pen. One may only exist near a parrot pen. There is but one benu parrot pen, for the pen exists simultaneously in the past, present and future, everywhere and nowhere. If you come into contact with one it is imperative that you not react negatively for it can smell terror and will feed upon it. Calmly walk away and wait for it to leave to inflict another, yet know that it will forever exist in memory.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Much like a real parrot, the parrot pen owns you

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010

plester1 posted:

I’m a huge fan of my own TWSBI Go. That said, I don’t know if I’d consider it a “travel pen”. It’s bigger than an Eco, the cap has no clip, and the filling mechanism means it requires bottled ink, not conveniently sized cartridges.

Is there a particular feature you’re expecting to help with travel, or do you mean something cheap enough to knock around without much worry?

It’s definitely the price I was talking about. I know it’s about the size of an eco, but the price point makes me feel less anxious to take it around with me.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Kierena posted:

It’s definitely the price I was talking about. I know it’s about the size of an eco, but the price point makes me feel less anxious to take it around with me.

Cool, just making sure :) Enjoy, it's a fantastic everyday writer.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I have friend who likes fountain pens but doesn't own any herself, so I got a Pilot Metro for her birthday. She's been watching my forays into fountain pen madness since the beginning so I can't shake the feeling that I'm enabling a blossoming addiction here.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I had these custom-made some stupid amount of time ago, like two years, with the intention of posting them here, and then I didn’t, but now the world is ending, so I am.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Those are amazing! Please tell me you’ve used them for actual letters.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
If this place ends up going under, where will people end up posting/reading about pens? I've only really just started getting interested in this stuff so this thread is my only real point of contact with the FP world. It seems there are a ton of goon Discords springing up, but I'm not sure whether that's an appropriate medium for this sort of thing given how slowly this thread can move.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Surprise T Rex posted:

If this place ends up going under, where will people end up posting/reading about pens? I've only really just started getting interested in this stuff so this thread is my only real point of contact with the FP world. It seems there are a ton of goon Discords springing up, but I'm not sure whether that's an appropriate medium for this sort of thing given how slowly this thread can move.

The Fountain Pen Network is the BIG fountain pen discussion place, though a lot of the younger crowd seem to have gone to r/fountainpens over time. It's got very helpful posters, about 2 decades of posts, and they have a classifieds section to help part you with your hard-earned cash! I joined a looooong time ago but haven't really been active there unless I am looking for something new to buy. (Same name there as here.)

I still haven't joined reddit but r/fountainpens is not the worst hobby reddit I've seen and is definitely active, just a lot of circlejerking.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalRaven posted:

Those are amazing! Please tell me you’ve used them for actual letters.

Not yet. I was thinking about sending some letters to people in the snail mail thread.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Pen Addict slack - email hello [at] penaddict [dot] com and ask to be invited

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A couple of final pen purchases if the lights do go out.

Leonardo Momento Zero Grande, the ink is Robert Oster Blue Water Ice.

Montegrappa Miya 450
Got a little of that Ruri-Umi sheen in there too

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 25, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Surprise T Rex posted:

Bread and Roses seems to be one place and is currently waiving the $10 - just register with no invite code and wait for approval (about 24 hours for me). There's a "knowledge zone" where a pen thread would totally fit.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've only bought two Metros (and two Kakunos, exclusively for the nibs) but I've also bought a lot of notebooks, ink samples, and paper. Some day I'll get an M200, but they're out of my price range right now. Am I crazy or did they used to be $80 before COVID?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If they were $80 that was probably the cost of one imported from the UK before covid hosed up international shipping. I imagine a lot of that has dried up as people realized the margins were gone or non existent. The official distributor in the US marks Pelikan stuff up by like 50% or more of the European prices.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Got my TWSBI GOs. The F and B are great. The nib on the M is a liiiittle bit too tight (tines too close together) so it writes basically identically to the F. I'm gonna work on it a tiny but. But I love the filling mechanism, they are super comfortable, the hold a ton of ink, and so on. I can fully recommend them.

I just posted a FP thread in B+R but it's probably moot since Jeffery of YOSPOS (PBUH) hath saved us

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 26, 2020

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

LifeLynx posted:

I've only bought two Metros (and two Kakunos, exclusively for the nibs) but I've also bought a lot of notebooks, ink samples, and paper. Some day I'll get an M200, but they're out of my price range right now. Am I crazy or did they used to be $80 before COVID?

M200s are normally around $150 and have been for a long time. There are always a few of the "special edition" edelstein colored ones around ebay for less than that, but not nearly as cheap as $80

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/GouletPens/status/1277677343058866176

This seems like particularly bad timing for a product launch.

(Fwiw, my response.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

inklesspen posted:

This seems like particularly bad timing for a product launch.

I was saying earlier you can choose from Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Terf. Also they're sensationally ugly.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Are there any Montegrappa pens that aren't?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Heath posted:

Are there any Montegrappa pens that aren't?

:colbert:

But yeah, their licensed pens generally have awful designs, and ooof on the timing of that Harry Potter collection.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Awful, awful timing on those pens. Yikes

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Those actually look nice compared to their usual licensed stuff. Their MO seems to be jamming a pen full of every possible reference to said license they can find, like theyre trying to convince you that they're actually huge fans by including some sword that is briefly mentioned on page 614.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I can't buy any Deltas for a while because I'm in a middle of a move, so I had to buy a non-Delta fountain pen instead.

I mean, look at this atrocity. I may be sick

The real issue, though, is that the nib absolutely screams on downstrokes and I haven't been able to fix it.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Edit: Sorry about this.

Remora fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You're literally looking for something to be upset about. It's not crazy, but it's not productive, either. It's just a company that sells pens.