Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zack Ater posted:

What's in the dead end you're talking about? I think there's another room it could be other than what everyone else is thinking you're meaning.

Nothing, which is why I keep thinking I'm just flat out in the wrong area. But it's ok

Now that I screwed around so long there that I found other stuff to do I'm going to give it a long while before coming back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just checked it out again. There's only one place you can go down there, but the first part is kind of a labyrinth. I remember now why I had so much trouble finding it. You really just have to brute force the first section.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cojawfee posted:

I just checked it out again. There's only one place you can go down there, but the first part is kind of a labyrinth. I remember now why I had so much trouble finding it. You really just have to brute force the first section.

Thanks , I tried again, failed, watched a video finally and just didn't realize I could squeeze through some gaps , I was in the right place but doing the wrong thing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
mother loving platforming with gravity changes god drat

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

mother loving platforming with gravity changes god drat

Is this the VVVVVV thread?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Re: The Nomai fate We don't actually find out about the other Nomai do we, only the fate of this particular group of headstrong wildcards? I mean, I guess we know they go extinct like all life in the universe, but other than that, seemed like the Nomai would still be out there kickin' it in various solar systems out there.

Speaking of species, what's up with the player-species? Glad the Nomai met our ancient ancestors and didn't turn out to be like, a "creator race" that found froggies and turned em into people. Seems like a lot of unanswered questions, and I suppose they aren't important, but I can't help but wonder how our species evolved, procreates, build their tech, etc lol

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Khanstant posted:

Re: The Nomai fate

The only information we get about this is the correspondence on one of the upper message walls in the Vessel control room. There's a bunch of different Nomai ships sharing information and mentioning how hard it is to find safe ground. The game doesn't make clear when this conversation takes place, but it's long enough that Escall has become a legend to these other Nomai. They could well be alive in the timeframe of the game.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The game does make it clear, and it's a live conversation, right there and now. They're grouping together to watch the universe die.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right, but I mean, prior to that moment there are presumably an infinite number of living civilizations in the infinite universe, subtracting of course civilizations at the rate of supernovas per minute as universe "end" approaches.

Darox posted:

They're grouping together to watch the universe die.

They're also there to sing that song that seeds/starts/creates/becomes the universe!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is there a way to ever be immune to ghost matter? Like is it always going to kill me and it's just a way to tell me don't go this way?

I'm currently at the underground city on Ember Twin. Found the anglerfish fossil. Trying to find the trail to the High Energy Lab, but I ran in to ghost matter and got crushed by sand. I got tired of dealing with Brittle Hollow. There's more to the Hanging City I need to find and I never found the way to go to get to the South Observatory. Happy for some delicate hints on those two things.

I enjoy the discovery part of this game. I don't enjoy the dying and having to backtrack. Gets kind of old when I die or fall in to a blackhole because of platforming mistakes. I also don't really know what to do with the scout camera thing. Like I fired it at the anglerfish fossil and took some pictures, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with that.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 1, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

They're also there to sing that song that seeds/starts/creates/becomes the universe!

if you're referring to solanum, then she's not actually there. no one is there, except you. the campfire is just the Eye reacting to the protagonist's fondest memories and using them as the seed that germinates the new universe

you can argue that it's a distinction without a difference, but i think it really enhances the sense of melancholy in that final scene

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 1, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a way to ever be immune to ghost matter? Like is it always going to kill me and it's just a way to tell me don't go this way?

It's always going to kill you. Sometimes you can platform past it. Other times you'll need to find another way around it.

The scout camera has quite a few uses: one that is gone over in the tutorial is that it lets you see where, exactly, ghost matter is. There's a couple other uses for it, but those tend to be solutions to puzzles.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm currently at the underground city on Ember Twin. Found the anglerfish fossil. Trying to find the trail to the High Energy Lab, but I ran in to ghost matter and got crushed by sand. I got tired of dealing with Brittle Hollow. There's more to the Hanging City I need to find and I never found the way to go to get to the South Observatory. Happy for some delicate hints on those two things.

I enjoy the discovery part of this game. I don't enjoy the dying and having to backtrack. Gets kind of old when I die or fall in to a blackhole because of platforming mistakes. I also don't really know what to do with the scout camera thing. Like I fired it at the anglerfish fossil and took some pictures, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with that.

Ghost matter's always an obstacle to find a way around. Your scout's photo mode is good for finding the safe route around/through those areas.

For the other things:

It was easier for me to get to the observatory when I changed where I was going under the surface at. For the scout, there's a couple properties about it beyond just the camera taking that can be useful.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Two general features of the scout you may not have considered:

It emits light from wherever it lands.

It has a marker attached to it so you can always see where and how far away it is.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

I got tired of dealing with Brittle Hollow. There's more to the Hanging City I need to find and I never found the way to go to get to the South Observatory. Happy for some delicate hints on those two things.

the only way to get to the southern observatory is by platforming your way along the gravity crystals, and then doing some more platforming

if you're quick, falling into brittle hollow doesn't necessarily mean falling into the black hole - you can orbit the hole for a bit until you find the up grav shaft that leads to riebeck's camp

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also, if you fall into the black hole, it spits you out in front of an interesting place to explore.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

luxury handset posted:

the only way to get to the southern observatory is by platforming your way along the gravity crystals, and then doing some more platforming

if you're quick, falling into brittle hollow doesn't necessarily mean falling into the black hole - you can orbit the hole for a bit until you find the up grav shaft that leads to riebeck's camp

Specifically for southern observatory it took me forever to find a way to it and I finally gave up and watched a YouTube. There's two paths to it, I used both and crossed over past the point where you're supposed to stop. My preferred starting point is near a vertical tower that's easy to see from space.
At the start of each I think you have to jetpack out of the beams because they're misaligned. That should get you going a long ways, and then when you find oxygen stop and chill and explore thoroughly.

Also, I got sick of the black hole too . Make sure to talk to the guy on the water planet a few times because any time I fell in that hole I'd just use the menu option to start over.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Honestly by about my third time going to Brittle Hollow I Would intentionally jump into the black hole sometimes just because going through white hole station seemed like an easier way to get back to my ship on the surface

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Look at the picture behind your space suit when you grab it on the ship, it gives 4 examples of what to use the scout for

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Just lol if you didn't mash your ship into wherever you needed to go inside brittle hollow. It may have been built of wood, but that thing is remarkably sturdy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Just lol if you didn't mash your ship into wherever you needed to go inside brittle hollow. It may have been built of wood, but that thing is remarkably sturdy.

Lol I tried really hard to do the southern observatory this way but I just couldn't get it to work

Then on my second playthrough I discovered that of the two paths to it one is insanely easier

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I know of the shortcuts to the hanging and sunless cities, but what's the easier way to the southern observatory?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I know of the shortcuts to the hanging and sunless cities, but what's the easier way to the southern observatory?

It's not really a shortcut, it's just you can head around the circle two different directions, and at least for me, I found one of the two to be much easier platfoming than the other. I never even tried it on the first playthrough since I found one route and just kept trying it even though I kept falling.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I tried doing this to get to the Black Hole Lab. I tried to do a fancy flip in the craft and land on the gravity plating near it. As one might imagine it did not work out well. I also tried to jump on top of the forge and ride it like a mechanical bull on its way to the top. :shepface:

E: VVVVVVV Well I'll be damned

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 1, 2020

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sardonik posted:

I tried doing this to get to the Black Hole Lab. I tried to do a fancy flip in the craft and land on the gravity plating near it. As one might imagine it did not work out well. :shepface:

That's actually exactly what I did to get in there. I never went through the "proper" way in.

You don't need to flip the ship over yourself - if you just fly it straight up into that ceiling, the gravity will take hold of it and flip it over for you.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

Also, if you fall into the black hole, it spits you out in front of an interesting place to explore.

Yeah, I've been there several times and even used it to warp back to Brittle Hollow a couple of times. I just keep trying to get to the Southern Observatory via the Hanging City (and accessing the Hanging City via the Escape Pod hol) and, assuming that's one of the paths you can use, there's too many ways for me to gently caress up the platforming. Or I die/waste time in other ways. That's why I just moved on to Ember Twin and following leads on the anglerfish and High Energy lab.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is there a way to ever be immune to ghost matter?

Arrhythmia posted:

It's always going to kill you. Sometimes you can platform past it. Other times you'll need to find another way around it.

The scout camera has quite a few uses: one that is gone over in the tutorial is that it lets you see where, exactly, ghost matter is. There's a couple other uses for it, but those tend to be solutions to puzzles.

Also, a control thing that several goons struggling with ghost matter seem to have missed: you can switch the scout between two modes. The default fires the scout out somewhere and lets you take pictures from where it lands, but you can also just use it as a camera while you're holding it, to take a picture directly in front of you.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

For the scout, is it possible for me to take pictures of Nomai runes and translate them from the picture? There's a spot in the Ember Twins city I thought I might be able to do that but couldn't make it work.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

For the scout, is it possible for me to take pictures of Nomai runes and translate them from the picture? There's a spot in the Ember Twins city I thought I might be able to do that but couldn't make it work.

Nah the scout pictures don't have that kind of interactivity

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One of the sections of the platform around the gravity cannon activates transport beams that are a fairly straight shot to the underside of it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ghost matter never goes away. Like broken doors, it is a way to point out there is a place you can go to, and also serves as what would have been an entrance for the nomai while also serving as a barrier for you, forcing you to find a different way in, but letting you know the place exists.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I actually wonder if there's a way to get my HOTAS to work with the space ship. Having the roll axis be a combo that also disables yaw is really frustrating, I could get up to way more shenanigans if I just had a bit more control over the thrusters.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

It didn't occur to me to even try this until near the end of the game when I was trying to clean up log entries. Finally found a dang camp that way.

Oxxidation posted:

if you're referring to solanum, then she's not actually there. no one is there, except you. the campfire is just the Eye reacting to the protagonist's fondest memories and using them as the seed that germinates the new universe

you can argue that it's a distinction without a difference, but i think it really enhances the sense of melancholy in that final scene

fair enough, I do tend towards the latter interpretation in this case. I also am not sure it's just melancholy there, there was the equivalent in joy/hope as well. Plus some other feelings, it was a really complex feeling I got in my chest, brain not knowing to cry or smile or laugh or scream but it hit a lot of existential notes for me

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 1, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can never keep track of the terms for 3d movement, but is that yaw thing what it is when you like, try to manipulate something in 0 g, like the Vessel computer/puzzle if you go there before getting the power core to turn on gravity? you end up sliding hopelessly around while trying to move the little orb while wanting to :float" in place.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Yaw is rotation on the Y axis (imagine a vertical pole through the centre of your ship). What you're describing is just... drift.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
feeling stuck in a bunch of parts again, not even including the 'you have more to explore ' in sunless and hanging cities that i think i fully explored

i know from spoilers that i'm supposed to enter the eye of the hurricane to explore something, but what would ever clue me into that? i've seen no references to it . just me thinking smarter than I am?

another thing I never thought of - kept trying to access quantum tower on brittle hollow, jumping from the elevator beam and couldn't do it. died over and over, finalyl read i was supposed to wait for it to go through the black hole. i often reset prior to that time , which i guess is why i never thought of it.

I can't figure out what to do with either shuttle.

is the red thing something i'm supposed to use in bramble planet? i can get there repeatedly but never find the escape pod signal. i just float around til i die once i leave that spot.

I think what frustrates me is i feel like i need a hint on giants deep/brittle hollow for those two paths and don't have one and am just totally stuck and hate spoiling myself but get too mad not to. i am very, very very bad at exploration/puzzle games so i'm amazed i've even enjoyed this one as much as i have.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

i know from spoilers that i'm supposed to enter the eye of the hurricane to explore something, but what would ever clue me into that? i've seen no references to it . just me thinking smarter than I am?

there is a clue on brittle hollow that explicitly tells you to do this, and which one to enter

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I can never keep track of the terms for 3d movement, but is that yaw thing what it is when you like, try to manipulate something in 0 g, like the Vessel computer/puzzle if you go there before getting the power core to turn on gravity? you end up sliding hopelessly around while trying to move the little orb while wanting to :float" in place.

Yaw is just rotation around one of the three axes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

luxury handset posted:

there is a clue on brittle hollow that explicitly tells you to do this, and which one to enter

I'm not talking about going down the counter clockwise one. I read that you fly into the eye of the hurricane from space to access quantum trials that teach you how to land on the quantum moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not talking about going down the counter clockwise one. I read that you fly into the eye of the hurricane from space to access quantum trials that teach you how to land on the quantum moon

My thought process was "drat, I wanna know what's inside this big rear end storm. I'll go in, from space".