Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Carthag Tuek posted:

gently caress

Didn’t stop Falco talking that whole shrieky Teutonic scat-singing style to the bank a few years later. Hell the 80s were a time when anyone could have an avant-garde pop hit out of nowhere, so Nina Hagen getting a hit out of something like ‘New York, New York’ wouldn’t have been that unusual. Laurie Anderson got to No. 2 in the UK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

One Swell Foop posted:

The puppets in that song were all taken directly from a satirical TV show called Spitting image, which was consistently anti-Reagan and anti-Thatcher.

Spitting Image riffed on Collins, and he wanted to sue, but he changed his mind and hired them for the Land of Confusion video.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

knife_of_justice posted:

Didn’t stop Falco talking that whole shrieky Teutonic scat-singing style to the bank a few years later. Hell the 80s were a time when anyone could have an avant-garde pop hit out of nowhere, so Nina Hagen getting a hit out of something like ‘New York, New York’ wouldn’t have been that unusual. Laurie Anderson got to No. 2 in the UK!

How many people are about to figure out that Taco and Falco are two different musicians

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that Laurie Anderson song has a verse from the tao in it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

How many people are about to figure out that Taco and Falco are two different musicians

Who the gently caress is Taco?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Who the gently caress is Taco?

Taco did Rock Me Amadeus, Falco did Puttin' on the Ritz

Lmao wait I got them confused, you got me again 2020

E2: looks like they both did a rock me Amadeus??

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Jul 1, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

You're thinking of Jive Bunny.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Everyone of a certain age in the UK just recoiled in horror.

Fortunately that whole format of ‘60s/70s pop medley becomes a big hit’ is completely dead in the water now that the superior originals are available on demand via Spotify, YouTube etc. No need to wait for a convenient reissue or a Jive Bunny to curate it, thank god.

EDIT: Jive Bunny got to No. 11 in the USA? What the poo poo?!

purple death ray posted:

And neither of them are Klaus Nomi!

knife_of_justice has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Jul 1, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Falco is a wingman from Star Fox who's kind of an arsehole, and Taco is a wizard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Taco is a wizard.

His brother, Art, dieded.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Everyone is always thinking Jive Bunny but singing it to the tune of Road Runner. Right?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What the gently caress is Jive Bunny? That sounds unbearably racist actually

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Didn’t it have the voice of a clearly white man doing a Little Richard impression. The ‘c-c-c’mon everybody’ is all I remember. It just sounded so cheap.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I have no idea. I just googled the name and that came up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

You're probably thinking of the 1987 clay animation music video of Reet Petite but that wasn't actually Jive Bunny.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

christmas boots posted:

I have no idea. I just googled the name and that came up

This alone is the most exposure Jive Bunny have gotten since 1990

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

purple death ray posted:

Not having knowledge about another culture's pop culture and thus immediately declaring it evil is also kinda racist, or, at the very least, jingoistic and elitist.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

that Laurie Anderson song has a verse from the tao in it

I read this as Louie Anderson and was very confused.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

hawowanlawow posted:

that Laurie Anderson song has a verse from the taco in it

Fixed. She bursts into ‘Puttin’ on the Ritz’ near the end.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

rydiafan posted:

I read this as Louie Anderson and was very confused.

I read it as Loni Anderson!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I read it as Lauri Andersson.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Ferrule posted:

Not having knowledge about another culture's pop culture and thus immediately declaring it evil is also kinda racist, or, at the very least, jingoistic and elitist.

Lol jive bunny is my culture.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I guess I will concede that I'm looking at it from my perspective as an American but from my perspective if you told me that was a candy from the 1920s that had to change its name in the 60s I would believe it. It's practically a portmanteau of two different slurs. For all I know it's a zwarte pete situation

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

purple death ray posted:

It's Bon Jivy in a bad disguise I think.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Jive Bunny can't be real, the thread is taking us for a ride again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

Explain this picture then, with Jive Bunny in IRL life with some guy:

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Chubby Checker?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One Swell Foop posted:

Chubby Checker?

No I'm Jerry Cotton.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Little Richard's brother, Big Richard

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

500excf type r posted:

Little Richard's brother, Big Richard

I thought we were getting rid of that rear end in a top hat.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

zedprime posted:

Is Jive Bunny the UK’s version of Candle Cove?

He (or whatever the hell that thing is) must have been popular enough to have three No.1s, but everyone’s memory of it is hazy and granulated and no one remembers buying any of the records. Also what the hell is that thing.

knife_of_justice has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Jul 2, 2020

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Estelle Getty played Bea Arthur's mother in the Golden Girls. In reality she was a year younger than Arthur.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
So this is the thread about etymology right? I was studying the history of studying history:
Back in the day, studying ancient history was all Bible all the time. Everybody looking for that one ark. Or that one other ark. Egypt got popular thanks to the whole Exodus thing, but there was a group that was getting tired of the Moses, Moses, Moses all the time and started to look into the actual history of Egypt, well, when they weren’t robbing graves and turning mummies into paint of course.
Enter Sir Fulton Roberts-Reed, a British scholar who took a particular interest in the ancient gods of Egypt. He was the one who brought the God of the underworld and star of his own Wii game, Anubis, and Horus Birdman, attorney of the afterlife into the public consciousness in Europe.
He was releasing stories he claimed were translated from hieroglyphics, often involving interactions that would make Zeus blush, but people were really starting to question the veracity of these tales, with questions like “Bastet and Sekhmet? Aren’t these two cat-girl-gods sisters? Why are you describing their doubly, maybe triply unchristian acts in such detail FULTON?” and “Why don’t any of your translations ever include Isis, the human looking one FULTON?”
To his dying day he denied his “translations” were falsified or that they were inappropriate. He had built a following around himself and the animal-headed gods over the years, and they granted themselves the rather pretentious title of “anthropomorphism apologists”, or anthropologists for short.

Real talk, there's a story about shenanigans involving dyeing beer red so Sekhmet gets drunk thinking she's slurping up the blood of humanity so she doesn't actually kill everybody, oops! And she also got turned into a cow this one time? Do I smell wacky sitcom?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Was that an attempt at a joke? Because anthropos is ‘humans/human beings’ and logia is ‘study’ so it’s just the study of human beings.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Captain Monkey posted:

Was that an attempt at a joke? Because anthropos is ‘humans/human beings’ and logia is ‘study’ so it’s just the study of human beings.

Holy poo poo you regged one day before me!

So you should know it's a godsdamn attempt at a joke

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I want a Netflix movie of the Wu Tang saga. That poo poo was adorable; in the movie they come to your town and do a free show.

I was never into them, and only in the last 5-10 years listened to more of their poo poo. I had no clue the Staten=Shaolin. That poo poo blew my mind.

Do any of you have like a site or source that runs their life down?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bulletsponge13 posted:

I want a Netflix movie of the Wu Tang saga. That poo poo was adorable; in the movie they come to your town and do a free show.

I was never into them, and only in the last 5-10 years listened to more of their poo poo. I had no clue the Staten=Shaolin. That poo poo blew my mind.

Are you seriously asking people to reveal the Wu Tang secret??

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Showtime did a documentary about them recently and Hulu had an original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Are you seriously asking people to reveal the Wu Tang secret??

I thought it was like Fight Club- you tell everyone everything, but end with "But we don't talk about that".