Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

O____O
Jan 7, 2020

by Athanatos

Captain Beans posted:

I hope they change lightning strike up in WH3, it really needs a rework. It's simultaneously incredibly powerful and very boring. You want it on every general, so it kind of limits all the other choices you can select in the skill tree. I'm not sure exactly how it can be changed but I think it should.

Change it so you still have to fight all the armies, just one after the other in succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

O____O posted:

Change it so you still have to fight all the armies, just one after the other in succession.

It should be a percentage chance that you have to do this imo. Sometimes you just fight one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

I hope they change lightning strike up in WH3, it really needs a rework. It's simultaneously incredibly powerful and very boring. You want it on every general, so it kind of limits all the other choices you can select in the skill tree. I'm not sure exactly how it can be changed but I think it should.

I want to see a lot of things reworked, mostly how stances affect the battlemap. I'd like armies to have several readiness levels that affect deployment zones and reinforcement timers. So lightning strike, vanguard deployment, etc would all fit into the same system. Ambushes too.

But if it gave you vanguard deployment and delayed reinforcements by a minute or two (per army) that'd work too. Not letting you replenish ammo and redeploy each battle would help a lot to make it feel less required.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 1, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

orangelex44 posted:

Aren't the latest round of issues caused from fixes to prior problems? The original release has some balancing weirdness and that stance bug, but IIRC not much else was overtly horrible.
The DLC drop came with the Weapon Strength bug, where nothing that modified Weapon Strength actually worked. The beta patch fixed that but introduced new bugs like killing the enemy lord gives your troops the Leadership penalty; if you manually fight any battles that trigger confederation or defeating a LL trait, nothing actually happens, and one other thing I cant remember off the top of my head.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
One thing I've never been clear on is do redline buffs and other buffs actually get factored in for Autoresolve? It might say somewhere, but I've never seen anything to clarify stuff like that.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Zephro posted:

So if you're discovered and attacked you fight a normal battle, you aren't yourself ambushed by the Skaven?

If you are discovered before they move into your ambush, then yes you can get ambushed since your army was revealed before they entered your zone of control. However if they walked into the ambush zone without first discovering it but the ambush itself fails, they get a "opportunity to attack" which is a normal attack no matter what stance they where in.

Basically ambush stance has two random rolls; one for being spotted "army X ambush foiled"(meaning some other factions army or agent saw your ambush) which reveals you on campaign map and you exit ambush stance, in which case that army can then be engaged just as if it was in normal stance.

The second roll happens when the enemy move into the zone of control of the ambush and then it rolls the chance weather the ambush was successful(you ambush them) or if it fails (normal battle can ensue but they enemy can also decline and run away).

Only times you can be 100% safe from being offensive ambushed is if you are garrisoned inside a settlement or at sea.

Choyi fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 1, 2020

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
in short; skaven are cheating bastards

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sarcastastic posted:

One thing I've never been clear on is do redline buffs and other buffs actually get factored in for Autoresolve? It might say somewhere, but I've never seen anything to clarify stuff like that.

Speaking of autoresolve, I love how toggling lightning strike when attacking a city seems to slightly modify the odds. Usually against you

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Squibbles posted:

Speaking of autoresolve, I love how toggling lightning strike when attacking a city seems to slightly modify the odds. Usually against you

Lightning strike does impose a -5 leadership penalty on the enemy ("unprepared for lightning strike battle") so it should do something to the balance of power, but yeah, it's weird.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yikes, yeah I always just ignore them until I can do this:

(Every army pictured is one of my Ikit Claw Gunlines, except for this Vermintide army that i put Queek in command of).

I probably should but I like collecting LL defeated traits and I want to play as Greenskins and confederation is broke so I've been waiting.

Nice! I managed to grind my way through with Ikit claw armies of 8 catapults, 3-4 ratling guns, 3-4 jezzails, some characters and a few clanrats, supported by armies of mostly clanrats/skavenslaves with a few ratling guns. I would heavily abuse the "control large armies" and "ai control" toggles to effectively get 2v1s. That let me grind through the stats of mid-tier dudes they had.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Captain Beans posted:

Just get one of the many mods that add an extra point on skillup so you don't have to wait forever to skill up a general and also have enough points to do whatever you want

[edit] while you're at it, get the mod that removes the intro logos and stuff on startup

[edit] get lots of mods, there are lots of mods

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 1, 2020

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

O____O posted:

That's what happens if you uncheck the "Control large army" box before a fight. Only 1 full army on each side will enter the battlefield... Once you kill a unit of the AI, they'll get another unit from the other army reinforcing the battlefield, until all units in all armies are routed or destroyed. It's an extremely good way to beat multiple stacks of the AI since it's way easier to kill "trickle-in" reinforcements

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

For example, if you have a really powerful army but the enemy has 3 armies of mediocre units, it'd still be a really hard fight to take because you'd get overwhelmed and your units would get stuck and worn down by sheer numbers

But if you uncheck "Control Large Army" you only have to fight one army + trickle-in reinforcements... so you can demolish the first mediocre army and just wreck the mediocre reinforcements as they trickle in. Sometimes this is even better than lightning strike

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
God drat is Ikit Claw fun. Setting up ambushes with jezzails and ratlings like you're the Vietcong just feels right

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Choyi posted:

If you are discovered before they move into your ambush, then yes you can get ambushed since your army was revealed before they entered your zone of control. However if they walked into the ambush zone without first discovering it but the ambush itself fails, they get a "opportunity to attack" which is a normal attack no matter what stance they where in.

Basically ambush stance has two random rolls; one for being spotted "army X ambush foiled"(meaning some other factions army or agent saw your ambush) which reveals you on campaign map and you exit ambush stance, in which case that army can then be engaged just as if it was in normal stance.

The second roll happens when the enemy move into the zone of control of the ambush and then it rolls the chance weather the ambush was successful(you ambush them) or if it fails (normal battle can ensue but they enemy can also decline and run away).

Only times you can be 100% safe from being offensive ambushed is if you are garrisoned inside a settlement or at sea.
Thanks, that's really helpful. (Though I agree that the Skaven ambush stuff just makes fighting them in campaign a PITA.)

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Zephro posted:

Thanks, that's really helpful. (Though I agree that the Skaven ambush stuff just makes fighting them in campaign a PITA.)

However what makes fighting Skaven the most pain is not their ability to offensive ambush, but rather fighting tons of painful siege battles against them.

Skaven not only has some of the most overpowered defensive towers, but also get expendable summons and Warp bombs that has potential to wipe out multiple of your units in a split second if unlucky.
On top of that they also have Warp Lightning, one of the few spells in the game the AI is competent at using (mainly cause its hard to not get lots of kills with it), with it also being cheap enough to be spammed.

And trying to spend a turn trying to build siege towers is a huge risk since that just leaves you open to get ambushed by either the garrison itself or nearby Skaven armies while you are sieging.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah sieges are dubious at the best of times and Skaven ones are no fun at all. The best tactic for warp bombs is apparently to deploy near a map edge so you can make the summoned unit flee without getting it low enough for warp bombs to go off. Repeat x times where x is the number of warp bomb casts, which are cast every 45 seconds (I think?) like clockwork. If you go 45 seconds without a warp bomb, congratulations! They've run out, the dumb mini-game is over, and you can start playing the actual game again.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 1, 2020

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I don't mind fighting Skaven but I don't like the whack-a-mole mechanics of dealing with their settlements.

EDIT: Intercepting them in the underway with Helstorms, dinos or skellies is fun though. :getin:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Zephro posted:

Yeah sieges are dubious at the best of times and Skaven ones are no fun at all. The best tactic for warp bombs is apparently to deploy near a map edge so you can make the summoned unit flee without getting it low enough for warp bombs to go off. Repeat x times where x is the number of warp bomb casts, which are cast every 45 seconds (I think?) like clockwork. If you go 45 seconds without a warp bomb, congratulations! They've run out, the dumb mini-game is over, and you can start playing the actual game again.

My favorite is besieging Clan Skryre and balling up to do that, only to get nuked.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

You're making me want to start another skaven campaign

[edit] with the chimearat and bomb rats mod :getin:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Zephro posted:

but they'll still warp bomb the clanrats defending the walls if your melee drops their hp low enough.

skaven are the loving worst.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Ammanas posted:

but they'll still warp bomb the clanrats defending the walls if your melee drops their hp low enough.

skaven are the loving best.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

hey dude that action does not have my consent. need i summon the elector counts?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ammanas posted:

skaven are the loving worst.
Is there a good way to deal with that? Murder them all with ranged?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah mostly ranged / spells to try and wipe out units quickly. You can try to bait them out on less valuable units

Lords, Heroes and Monsters don't take that much either. So they're pretty good for face tanking warp bombs and doom rockets

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 1, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Zephro posted:

Is there a good way to deal with that? Murder them all with ranged?

single unit entities (heroes, monsters) and ranged.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fartbox posted:

For example, if you have a really powerful army but the enemy has 3 armies of mediocre units, it'd still be a really hard fight to take because you'd get overwhelmed and your units would get stuck and worn down by sheer numbers

But if you uncheck "Control Large Army" you only have to fight one army + trickle-in reinforcements... so you can demolish the first mediocre army and just wreck the mediocre reinforcements as they trickle in. Sometimes this is even better than lightning strike
I thought you could only do this if you have two armies and more than 21 units? If you only have one army you do not get the "Control Large Army" checkbox.

edit: It might only be there if you have more than one army?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
You guys always hates on warp bomb, but you can predict warp bomb, play around it. Bait it with single entities, chaff etc. Now loving Murderous prowess tho, Every.Single.loving.Time :argh:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Any tips for strategies on moving up to hard campaign from normal? Having difficulty balancing between expanding too much and getting overextended or not expanding enough and getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of enemy armies coming at me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Noir89 posted:

You guys always hates on warp bomb, but you can predict warp bomb, play around it. Bait it with single entities, chaff etc. Now loving Murderous prowess tho, Every.Single.loving.Time :argh:

That's the nuke. Warp bomb and chain lightning are very different matters though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mustang posted:

Any tips for strategies on moving up to hard campaign from normal? Having difficulty balancing between expanding too much and getting overextended or not expanding enough and getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of enemy armies coming at me.
From last page:

Xan posted:

My general strategies:
- Try to stick with 1 maybe 2 lords early on. Each additional lord (some factions excluded) add +15% upkeep costs for all armies.
- Stick with cost effective units until later. Ex: don't use handgunners when archers or crossbowmen suffice. Pay attention to upkeep costs.
- Secure a province but don't feel the need to expand like crazy. Leveling up your lord is more important. If you beat an enemy badly enough you can peace out with them instead of taking territory you might not be able to hold.
- Blue is usually a safe skill tree to pursue first. I prioritize casualty replenishment skills and lightning strike.
- Try to only be at war with 1 faction at a time and limit your fronts. Beat enemies badly enough to peace out for factions you don't want to expand into.
- Use ambush stance a lot. Don't chase armies around the map endlessly, end your turn in ambush and you might catch them. Ambush near settlements you own that don't have walls.
- Always try to end turn with your armies in land you own to replenish. It might make more sense to occupy or loot & occupy if you can't make it back to your own lands rather than sack or raze.
- Scout ahead with campaign heroes especially against skaven. Against skaven, never leave an army out in the open in range of a skaven army or you will very likely be ambushed. Avoid this by ending your army's movement in ambush stance or knowing what is around with scouts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do we still have no news or bugfixes? This is getting to be pretty shameful on CAs part.

I made the jump to VH difficulty when I knew Hard was me just dunking on the AI without breaking a sweat. I just kinda knew it was time.

Key things for it, some of which a friend of mine who is amazeballs at the game had to beat into my skull, are:
-Abuse ambush stance and ambush baiting - these are two different things.
~ Abusing Ambush stance just means ending your movement in Ambush stance, preferably a decent distance from AI agents, armies, and settlements, so that the AI doesnt know where your army is. This helps you get field battles because the AI didnt see your army then run and hide in the nearest settlement.
~ Ambush baiting is using a weak settlement, usually minor/unwalled settlements, or a lord with little or no army as the bait, with your army in Ambush stance between the AI army you want to kill and the bait. You want to try to have the army in support range of the bait so that if the ambush fails or an army surprises you you still protect the bait.

Other advice that I find helpful:
- Do not over extend yourself, especially early. Its better to ensure you protect your starting region so it grows a bit and gets walls on Every Single Settlement before you send your army on adventures.
- Find a way to get a lot of fights early on while still defending your home province. For example, as Karl once you secure Reikland you can go sack Skarsnik's starting city a bunch, which gets you a battle a turn and lots of positive relation boosts with nearby people who hate Skarsnik.
- Kinda tied in with the above, I like trying to find an enemy to beat up for all their money via sacking their settlements then after 10 turns (because lmao diplo penalties for ending a war too soon) demanding money. This way you fill your coffers without conquering more land you may or may not want to keep, which can help you afford a second army or build a fancy building in your capital.
- Lightning Strike is important but I rarely find myself using it these days because I often end up using the Ambush strategies above to split up enemy armies.

edit: beaten by Xan

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
drat, don't know how I missed those posts.... Thanks!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mustang posted:

drat, don't know how I missed those posts.... Thanks!
No sweat, thread moves fast sometimes and I'm too lazy to type it up again lol

Third World Reagan posted:

Campaign very hard and battle normal or hard helps a lot.
This is my standard too

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 1, 2020

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Campaign very hard and battle normal or hard helps a lot.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah very hard battle difficulty is just not fun. The buffs the AI gets hugely skews the balance of the game in favor of just going all ranged all the time because melee units just lose to lower tier units and stuff they're supposed to be good against, and the AI's leadership is buffed to the point even trash tier units like Skavenslaves and peasant mobs take serious effort to break.

Hard is okay but still has these problems to some extent. I think it's a good compromise though.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Does anyone have any advice on how to Empire? Specifically on the strategic level. I feel like their income is really, really limited, and they have so many buildings required for unit production that it's rough actually filling out a well-rounded army.

I think the problem might be Gelt specifically. Starting in a two-region province, with every early avenue for expansion also two-region provinces or not easily accessible, and it feels like unless I gear his start province for money-making I can't actually afford a halfway decent army, and if I've done that I can't actually *build* that army because I won't have the recruitment buildings. So far the best I can work out is confederating Nuln early or letting them start a civil war to get the only real three-province territory anywhere nearby.

Edit: The economy is an issue I have with most of the Order factions, it just feels like the Dwarfs either start on good landmarks and resources to support themselves after hunkering down for a bit, while Brettonia can start making a huge amount through farms, it's just the Empire that feels so bad at actually getting an economy.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 1, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do you guys use the Underempire as Skaven? I'm finding it pretty mediocre other than the cash cows that are big trading cities (Marienburg, Lothien, etc.). It seems like an okay way to spread very tiny amounts of Skaven corruption (with four buildings in all three regions of a province I get...+3 Skaven corruption). And it seems like an alright way to convert food to cash or cash to food, but I really don't see how you regularly run a surplus in either. The issue, it seems to me, is that after whatever nerfs happened last year mean that they've squeezed the margins really thin.

So the default setup - concealment building at rank 3 (upgraded once), food building at rank 3 (built and upgraded once), static cash building at rank 1, and 5% spread building, is food-neutral and -50 cash. I get visibility over the region and I get some skaven corruption, but that's it.

Or you can go for the same setup but with the lower-upkeep concealment building that removes vision over the region. Now you're food-neutral and +150 cash/month. All for a pretty significant investment. Seems eh.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Arcturas posted:

How do you guys use the Underempire as Skaven? I'm finding it pretty mediocre other than the cash cows that are big trading cities (Marienburg, Lothien, etc.). It seems like an okay way to spread very tiny amounts of Skaven corruption (with four buildings in all three regions of a province I get...+3 Skaven corruption). And it seems like an alright way to convert food to cash or cash to food, but I really don't see how you regularly run a surplus in either. The issue, it seems to me, is that after whatever nerfs happened last year mean that they've squeezed the margins really thin.

So the default setup - concealment building at rank 3 (upgraded once), food building at rank 3 (built and upgraded once), static cash building at rank 1, and 5% spread building, is food-neutral and -50 cash. I get visibility over the region and I get some skaven corruption, but that's it.

Or you can go for the same setup but with the lower-upkeep concealment building that removes vision over the region. Now you're food-neutral and +150 cash/month. All for a pretty significant investment. Seems eh.

I just put conceal and food building on non-rich settlement honestly, the 200g isn't worth the food and I never bothered with the expanding buildings. Double conceal + %income + food on the rich settlements. Just get that food up so you can pump conquered settlements. Between gold on like every building and the rich settlements giving you 1k+ pretty early on from stealing half their poo poo, you shouldn't have money issues.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there a mod to make the loving Chaos minor factions actually stay loving dead? It's been a while since I played in Lustria but last time, at least, I had a loving mod that would force the Puppets of Chaos to, you know, DIE WHEN I WIPED THEM OUT.

Instead, what's currently happening with the beta patch is that the first Chaos invasion happens, WoC get almost instantly dunked by Kislev, and then I spend the next billion or so turns fighting the same five stacks of Chaos until I get bored. WoC die, and then on the next turn they're back! Puppets die, and then on the next turn they're back! Forever! No way to stop being forced to fight the SAME loving FIGHT OVER AND OVER AND OVER. NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES THE MAIN CHAOS FACTION GETS poo poo ON BY NOT-RUSSIA AND NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I KILL THEM THEY JUST INSTANTLY RESPAWN ON THE NEXT TURN.

I just lose any and all will to play the game when it becomes "kill this cookie cutter Chaos army for the billionth time". Is this a bug with the beta patch? I've disabled literally every mod that even goes anywhere NEAR Chaos and they're still immortal and never stop spawning. I just want the pain to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It came up relatively recently but, is khateps campaign the worst in the game? It's unbelievably tedious.