Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

notaspy posted:

Does that mean I can take Magus in a 50 pl game? Won't he cost me all the power level?

For combat patrol, the requirement is a patrol detachment which doesn't have a spot for Lords of War. In the footnotes they did make an exception for knights, so it is possible the exception extends to other Lords of War as well. I wouldn't assume you can until the rules are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like one of the upcoming reveals is going to be a Hammerfall Drop Turret.
Which just makes me think someone took the Starcraft Missile Turret and slapped on a couple of fireports at the bottom.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
After spending a few hours looking around for a cheap way to get a heavy stubber model on my Leman Russ, I just hacked together the heavy bolter from a heavy weapons team. If I do it to more I might try to tilt it down or something as it looks a little unnatural. sitting there so stiff.

Hopefully people are ok with it, apparently the only official heavy stubbers I could find are in the chimera kits. I might also use a trimmed down mortar as a hunter killer missile.

With the new vehicle heavy weapon rules in 40k, it might be worth it to put a hunker killer on every single vehicle and just have 12 of them streak out on the first turn.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 1, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

Which just makes me think someone took the Starcraft Missile Turret and slapped on a couple of fireports at the bottom.

I was curious about this...

They took the Terran bunker and slapped a missile turret on top.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there a known date for the release of the 9th ed rulebook? If not, is there some email list or notification to get when it does come out?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there a known date for the release of the 9th ed rulebook? If not, is there some email list or notification to get when it does come out?

Indomitus preorders up on July 11, on shelves July 25

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Looks like Empire of Man is winning in 40k. I haven't seen any Xenos for ages.. maybe some Necrons but they are historical pushovers. Even Harlequins have been subjugated and are now fighting in the empire ranks.
Maybe GWs long term plan is to have everyone playing Marines in the end so they can re-enact Horus heresy and reset the timeline :)

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

Last week of July was the latest I heard.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just wondering about the max of +/- 1 on the modifiers, does that apply to AP? So like do you think tau can still use the custom sept missile rule for -1 AP then also use an ATS for another -1 on top? Or is stacking buffs like that just not gonna be a thing?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Folks (rightly, mostly) complain about Space Marines getting more support than anyone else, but this makes them one of the last armies to get a dedicated terrain piece/building.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Looks like the 9th edition book leaked. Found a scan of most of it on imgur

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1278356379300962304

Good Citizen posted:

This is why vbulletin invented the PM function nevermind

xtothez fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 1, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Do we know if the blast rules do anything for d3 weapons. Plasma cannon for example.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cooked Auto posted:

This is some silly Helldivers kind of nonsense. I love it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deptfordx posted:

Do we know if the blast rules do anything for d3 weapons. Plasma cannon for example.

Exactly the same. Three hits on targets 6-10 models, max hits (three again in this case) for 10+.

Plasma Cannons are looking really good as heavy infantry killers now.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Good Citizen posted:

Gonna link it or leave us in suspense?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So if blast weapons lose the random factor on units of a certain size, is there any reason not to put my horde units in WHFB rank formations because I think they look cool? I guess terrain stuff would get squirrelly.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

As always your best off holding your breath and heading into trad games over on 4chan quickly

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
This single model is breaking more brains out there than anything else revealed/leaked in the past week. It's incredible, just absolute dogbrains.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

https://imgur.com/a/J4Bygoq

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Thank you.

Still getting a rule book when this comes out. Gotnto support the lgs.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Thank you.

Still getting a rule book when this comes out. Gotnto support the lgs.

Absolutely--anyone interested enough to scrutinize out-of-order photos of rules is probably gonna be a Day 1 purchaser.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Seems like 8th but with QOL changes and some stuff fleshed out. I can't wait till this pandemic is over becuase I should have a fully painted army by then and this will be fun

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Some interesting stuff in there. I don't really know Necrons well enough to know what stands out on that side, so I'm mostly looking at the Marine sheets.

• Necron Warriors buffed - they now natively get to reroll 1s on resurrection. (correct me if they always had this, I've only ever fought Necrons maybe 4-5 times)
  • Skorpekh Destroyers seem okay, but I'm not sure that they do anything that Wraiths don't do better? They get Reanimation, I guess, but weren't Wraiths also relatively cheap...and faster... and with a strong invuln? They get the Destroyer keyword, so maybe they get access to that Destroyer reroll-everything stratagem?
  • Skorpekh Lord only has 6 wounds. Somehow he looks like he'd have at least 9, or 12.
  • Datasheet for Assault Intercessors mentions that the sergeant's plasma pistol only overheats on an unmodified 1, instead of just a 1. Hopefully that's a new across the board thing in 9th.
  • Appears all marine bolt pistols have been replaced with heavy bolt pistols, or at least for all the guys in this box. It's the regular str 4 bolt pistol but has AP 1. If that's a new thing for all Primaris - well, I'm certain we can all agree, marines clearly needed another across-the-board buff
  • As kind of expected, the Astartes chainsword buff is just that they're AP1 now. They still give you an extra swing.
  • Master-crafted power swords now also give +1 str, on top of AP3 and D2. 4 to 5 is a pretty significant breakpoint, feels like a big deal, especially with the meta so full of other Primaris.
  • Bladeguard are the same thing as Victrix Guard minus the bodyguard rule - 3 attacks, 3 wounds. I guess since they're in regular Tacticus armor that you can stuff 6 into an Impulsor; that may be a thing in 9th. A unit of 3 of them will have 13 attacks on the charge, str 5, AP3, damage 2, and they all have 2+/4++.
  • Bladeguard Ancient is a bit of a letdown. The same banner ability as the regular ancient, and also gives +1 to hit in melee specifically for Bladeguard units. Until we have better delivery options for the Bladeguard guys, I'm not sure about this concept. (edit: idk maybe Blood Angels have a way to make this work?)
  • Judiciar's sword is basically the Burning Blade with AP3 instead of AP5, but it throws in a mortal on 6s to wound. So possibly better than Burning Blade, without using a relic slot. His hourglass thing lets him pick an enemy unit within 6" and tell them to fight last. He gets Blade Parry - a 4++ invuln, but only in melee.
  • Storm shields aren't a 3++ anymore; they're now a 4++ but also give you a 2+ armor save. That's a good thing for the game IMO, and I hope it's part of a larger trend away from 3++ saves. 40k needs dramatically less of them, they felt like they made it too much of a dice game, especially late into games where character-on-character fights can become a big deal. (edit: now wondering if the wording on the storm shield - "add 1 to your Save characteristic" - applies to TH/SS termies, giving them a native 1+ armor save?)
  • The captain has a special storm shield that also gives him a 4+++ FNP specifically against mortals, which is nice. I guess nailing a skeleton to the thing is all you need to do to tell wizards to gently caress off. Maybe the wizard gets confused and melts the skeleton's brain instead?

edit: spoilered it all

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 2, 2020

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Looks like psykers have to manifest all of their powers before you can move on to the next psyker, that's new isn't it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Giant Isopod posted:

Looks like psykers have to manifest all of their powers before you can move on to the next psyker, that's new isn't it?

That's a great question, I'd always done it one at a time but it's not often I take two psykers.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

It is new, you used to be able to bounce around freely

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The really big change in an see there that's not been discussed is the fact the command re-roll is a) restricted to certain dice rolls and b) re-rolls the roll, not a single dice.

Makes a lot of things that aren't too risky with a re-roll a lot riskier either without one or knowing you can't keep that 6 on 2d6 and re-roll the 1.

Reading through the crusade rules they seem pretty in depth and I have to say I'm super hyped about it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SteelMentor posted:

This single model is breaking more brains out there than anything else revealed/leaked in the past week. It's incredible, just absolute dogbrains.

Which model is this?

I wish the CA points values were leaked instead, but this is cool

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Fortification networks cost 1 cp but refund 1 if it shares a faction with your warlord - since you don't need to stack detachments for CP and this is effectively free, I wonder if you're going to see more of those oddball faction specific fortifications that never get used?

Triple battle sanctum list, here I come!

Kitchner posted:

The really big change in an see there that's not been discussed is the fact the command re-roll is a) restricted to certain dice rolls and b) re-rolls the roll, not a single dice.

Makes a lot of things that aren't too risky with a re-roll a lot riskier either without one or knowing you can't keep that 6 on 2d6 and re-roll the 1.

Notably, "Explodes" isn't on that list, that's a pretty big deal

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 2, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Neither is FNP or things like Big Blue's "I come back to life roll".

Even the change from a single dice in a 2D6 charge roll to re-roll the whole thing is a huge change. If you roll a charge right now and roll a 6 and a 1, you know you can re-roll the 1 and get a 9 inch charge on a 3+, with the new roll it could be anything.

Have to say when you look at a couple of these more subtle bits and bobs, I think melee is still going to struggle in 9th to be as good as shooting is.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lol, rad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

What game mode is this

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how good the little bullet point boxes below each rules section is? It makes everything so much easier to digest.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I know some people here think it's somehow gatekeeping to say people should put a little bit of paint on their models and base them before going to events, but even I have to say it's weird to include that line in the standard rules.

Like I totally see why having paid events tell people to at least put some effort into colouring in their toys makes the whole experience a bit more enjoyable etc, but if I'm playing a game with my buddy in a gaming club, am I really going to sit there and go "well adding up all the points you scored 67 and I scored 59. But I get 10 extra points because your new squad of Intercessors aren't painted yet so I won :smug:"? No, of course not.

I suspect it will be ignored outside of tournaments, though I'm going to organise a crusade group with my friends and may suggest we stick to it as an incentive to actually paint our models at least with some colour before we use them. If they would rather not though then I have no problem with ignoring it.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 2, 2020

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

JBP posted:

What game mode is this

Not sure, sorry.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JBP posted:

What game mode is this

It's part of Crusade.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Isn't it just a final tie breaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Stephenls posted:

It's part of Crusade.

Matched Play, actually, which is even funnier.