Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Guest2553 posted:

Biggest since the last one, anyways. And the one before that.

Well we know what happens after that.

But yeah, the debt bubble will outlast this thread. Incredible. Well done Canada. Well done realtors. Well done everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Without this thread I'll have to start posting on twitter in #vanre, which at this point years into the discussion, has become a hallowed out shell with only the most rabidly stupid YIMBYS and demand siders which have both blocked each other, yelling into the void.

Jens continues to do the maths and make neat maps. I'm sure despite this one Jen Bradshaw and other YIMBYs will, continue to bore the general public by talking about how Vancouver zoning is racist, having read too much American housing discourse and failing to mangle Vancouver's history into the same narrative.

https://twitter.com/vb_jens/status/1275526162962210818?s=20

I'm sure race division via zoning was the plan was in the early 1900s, and I'm sure Harlan Bartholomew was a racist, but boy to me that appears to be an awful lot of not-white people living Vancouver's multi million dollar SFH districts. Zoning is an effective tool to divide by class, but when non-whites get wealthier this no longer works. The reality is that by the 60s-70s, SFHs in east van were widely affordable by working class asian canadians, and they bought them en masse. Later since 97, wealth from HK flooded into the west side. The Dunbar diaspora that sold their homes has settled into Grandview, east of downtown, which appears as a blue blob.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

Without this thread I'll have to start posting on twitter in #vanre, which at this point years into the discussion, has become a hallowed out shell with only the most rabidly stupid YIMBYS and demand siders which have both blocked each other, yelling into the void.

Jens continues to do the maths and make neat maps. I'm sure despite this one Jen Bradshaw and other YIMBYs will, continue to bore the general public by talking about how Vancouver zoning is racist, having read too much American housing discourse and failing to mangle Vancouver's history into the same narrative.

https://twitter.com/vb_jens/status/1275526162962210818?s=20

I'm sure race division via zoning was the plan was in the early 1900s, and I'm sure Harlan Bartholomew was a racist, but boy to me that appears to be an awful lot of not-white people living Vancouver's multi million dollar SFH districts. Zoning is an effective tool to divide by class, but when non-whites get wealthier this no longer works. The reality is that by the 60s-70s, SFHs in east van were widely affordable by working class asian canadians, and they bought them en masse. Later since 97, wealth from HK flooded into the west side. The Dunbar diaspora that sold their homes has settled into Grandview, east of downtown, which appears as a blue blob.

I'd argue that the blue blobs (which are kind of a mixture of dark blue=white people and light blue="other") are a mixture of older people who downsized and 20/30-somethings who moved to Vancouver as adults.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Since this bubble will never ever die we've started looking for a place in Victoria. Prices have not come down at all here but there's not as many listings as last year. Things still sell within days of being listed though, the few places we wanted to even look at had accepted offers right away. Anything under a million gets snapped up within a day or two.

I keep saying that they'll come down maybe this year or next due to covid and our collapsing economy, but at this point I feel like most of the world could be a smoking crater with people bartering for food and some how Victoria will still not have houses under a million and 2br condos going for high 400's. Even CMHC is saying 20-25% drop is coming but everyone says Victoria is different because it's so "naturally desirable" lol. Started reading this thread almost 10 years ago when I was thinking of getting a 2br condo for the low 200's. They're all in the 300-400s now. It's getting harder and harder to tell my wife and family that the crash is juuuust around the corner and it's foolish to buy now. Everyone here mocked the "buy now or be priced out forever" mindset but in our case it's been totally true here.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah it's unfortunate but true. It's both simultaneously ridiculously overpriced and a bubble that seemingly can't burst.

Our Toronto rental search isn't going great. Either it's lovely condos with a view of another condo or run down derelict houses with no yard for 3k a month. But somehow people pay it and the market refuses to go down no matter how much reality knocks on the door.

I'd love for this to be a post quoted and laughed at in a few months, bit somehow I doubt it. Canadian real estate can't die because we have too much rising on it as a country.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bubbles will always burst without fail over long enough periods of time. The market can remain irrational for longer than you can afford to wait though.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
We are looking at Victoria, too. Some job opportunities over there, and we can actually buy a nice house with a basement suite.

I think the wheels have a chance of coming off in September when the mortgage deferrals end. While government may want to keep everything going, they still have to borrow money from somewhere, and the bond rating agencies will likely have something to say about the choices that are made.

But hey, I've been wrong about the end of irrationality before...why start in September?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
But why won't the deferrals just continue? If the bank's don't want to lose money, the government can just cover some or all of the cost. There's no reason for the government or banks not to keep the house of cards standing.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

Bubbles will always burst without fail over long enough periods of time. The market can remain irrational for longer than you can afford to wait though.

Maybe it's not a bubble it's just strong fundamentals!!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Since this bubble will never ever die we've started looking for a place in Victoria. Prices have not come down at all here but there's not as many listings as last year. Things still sell within days of being listed though, the few places we wanted to even look at had accepted offers right away. Anything under a million gets snapped up within a day or two.

I keep saying that they'll come down maybe this year or next due to covid and our collapsing economy, but at this point I feel like most of the world could be a smoking crater with people bartering for food and some how Victoria will still not have houses under a million and 2br condos going for high 400's. Even CMHC is saying 20-25% drop is coming but everyone says Victoria is different because it's so "naturally desirable" lol. Started reading this thread almost 10 years ago when I was thinking of getting a 2br condo for the low 200's. They're all in the 300-400s now. It's getting harder and harder to tell my wife and family that the crash is juuuust around the corner and it's foolish to buy now. Everyone here mocked the "buy now or be priced out forever" mindset but in our case it's been totally true here.

Thread really coming full circle in the dying days of Something Awful

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

sleep with the vicious posted:

But why won't the deferrals just continue? If the bank's don't want to lose money, the government can just cover some or all of the cost. There's no reason for the government or banks not to keep the house of cards standing.

It's possible that the deferrals could continue, but the banks need revenue, and residential mortgages are (I think) a pretty big profit centre for them. Continuing to kick the can down the road isn't in their interest if they're not getting paid anything. Eventually, they'll want to get paid.

But who knows...this is so such uncharted territory that no one knows what is going to happen. Truly, anything is possible.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The biggest lesson of this thread and the last few years, and the pandemic response is that governments won't sit idly by and let a collapse of the economy and housing economy happen and will actively prop things up. So planning on buying only when a collapse happens ensures that you're waiting indefinitely.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2020

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lmao. Hell yeah

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

The biggest lesson of this thread and the last few years, and the pandemic response is that governments won't sit idly by and let a collapse of the economy and housing economy happen and will actively prop things up. So planning on buying only when a collapse happens ensures that you're waiting indefinitely.

It's the form of "investment" for us plebes blessed by decades of federal governments across multiple different parties. I don't really blame anyone for saying "gently caress it" and jumping in, it makes total sense given the environment.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

We are looking at Victoria, too. Some job opportunities over there, and we can actually buy a nice house with a basement suite.

I think the wheels have a chance of coming off in September when the mortgage deferrals end. While government may want to keep everything going, they still have to borrow money from somewhere, and the bond rating agencies will likely have something to say about the choices that are made.

But hey, I've been wrong about the end of irrationality before...why start in September?

A nice house with a basement suite starts around a million here. We have a fairly lovely house with one here and it's assessed at 900k. I guess that's affordable compared to... Vancouver?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Literally baronjutter on the left coming into this thread when it started asking for arguments to use against his family who were pressuring him to buy a 300k condo :(

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Literally me and my roommate right now. This is devastating.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

large hands posted:

A nice house with a basement suite starts around a million here. We have a fairly lovely house with one here and it's assessed at 900k. I guess that's affordable compared to... Vancouver?
Victoria also looks more reasonable to folks not from here because they see house prices in Langford and say "oh a 20 min commute, perfect".

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Victoria def cheaper. Here's a random small house less than a 15 minute bike ride from the legislature, $800k. Something like this would be like $1.3 to 1.6M in East Vancouver. Way the hell more on the west side.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/2691473/1336-grant-street-victoria-bc?property_click=map

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 2, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Victoria def cheaper. Here's a random small house less than a 15 minute bike ride from the legislature, $800k. Something like this would be like $1.3 to 1.6M in East Vancouver. Way the hell more on the west side.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/2691473/1336-grant-street-victoria-bc?property_click=map

Haha I know that house, it's cute and a good neighborhood but very tiny

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Quoting myself for this tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1278082987645526017

Something has to give eventually. But it probably won't lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Something has to give eventually

It'll be the government

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

What effect would hanging the lenders out to dry on their interest payments for this period have on things? You invested in mortgages in an especially bad year for it, too bad, you get 0% ROI for 2020.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

Don't make me do it again

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think we’ve already given Baronjutter enough financial advice for a life time. BJ follow your heart and become the housing chad you were always meant to be!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol I wanted to get that Grant St. house posted above but it got snapped up fast.

Condos are languishing on the market, no one wants them. Townhouses too, specially if they have some weird seniors only or "adult oriented" rules. Houses over 2 million are also sitting and taking losses. But any house between 700-1,000k goes within a day or two. I think there's a pent up demand from all the idiot non-buyer "savers" like me.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Always do the opposite of what the thread says.

So, if the thread is saying "gently caress it, gently caress everyone, gently caress this irrational housing market, gently caress it all, just buy YOLO", then you should stay put.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

sitchensis posted:

Always do the opposite of what the thread says.

So, if the thread is saying "gently caress it, gently caress everyone, gently caress this irrational housing market, gently caress it all, just buy YOLO", then you should stay put.

I'm gonna do the opposite of this post!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
My sister in law makes a good salary as a physiotherapist at the hospital. She's been looking for houses in YEG in the $300-$350 range. I think the irrationality is finally wearing on me because I'm tempted to tell her to YOLO and buy a house in Glenora for half a mil.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
This is the way the housing bubble ends.
Not with a *pop* but for $90,000 over asking.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

My sister in law makes a good salary as a physiotherapist at the hospital. She's been looking for houses in YEG in the $300-$350 range. I think the irrationality is finally wearing on me because I'm tempted to tell her to YOLO and buy a house in Glenora for half a mil.

Illustrates how insane prices are in Vancouver and Toronto compared to the rest of Canada.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/xelan_gta/status/1281427280959602689?s=21

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've been saving for years and I still can't afford a loving house in victoria. Thought that this pandemic might lead to a dip but house prices have actually gone UP. Jesus christ. Everyone I know who has a house bought it with help from their parents, if you don't have that family money you are screwed.

In Ottawa for 3 months and looking at houses in Hull. 10 minute bike ride away from downtown Ottawa, 250k- 300k, 3 bedrooms with a basement apartment. My friend bought one and lives in the top half and pays her mortgage just from renting out the bottom. I'm tempted to try to buy one and then rent out the whole thing as an investment, it's gotta give better returns than my savings account which is *checks notes* 0.15%

Guy I used to work with bought a house in Duncan and it went up 200k in 3 years. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 10, 2020

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Alctel posted:

I've been saving for years and I still can't afford a loving house in victoria. Thought that this pandemic might lead to a dip but house prices have actually gone UP. Jesus christ. Everyone I know who has a house bought it with help from their parents, if you don't have that family money you are screwed.

In Ottawa for 3 months and looking at houses in Hull. 10 minute bike ride away from downtown Ottawa, 250k- 300k, 3 bedrooms with a basement apartment. My friend bought one and lives in the top half and pays her mortgage just from renting out the bottom.

I'm tempted to try to buy one and then rent out the whole thing, it's gotta give better returns than my savings account which is *checks notes* 0.15%

Guy I used to work with bought a house in Duncan and it went up 200k in 3 years. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE

Flight from Vancouver. The entire Island coast from Nanaimo down to Sooke has gotten absolutely JACKED up from all the boomers and olds selling their places at stupid insane prices, moving to the island and having a couple hundred thousand left over.

My partner and I are currently planning to move to Vic from Van and have been watching house prices for a while, they're wild. Vic proper is basically a write off? Seems like only colwood and beyond is "viable" and that's with family help and decent paying jobs.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Flight from Vancouver. The entire Island coast from Nanaimo down to Sooke has gotten absolutely JACKED up from all the boomers and olds selling their places at stupid insane prices, moving to the island and having a couple hundred thousand left over.

My partner and I are currently planning to move to Vic from Van and have been watching house prices for a while, they're wild. Vic proper is basically a write off? Seems like only colwood and beyond is "viable" and that's with family help and decent paying jobs.

That makes sense. At least the rental market there got significantly better last time I checked (plus the joy of reading about multi-house owning boomers whining about the vacancy tax every week in the paper).

I'm probably just going to live on my sailboat again when I move back but it would have been nice to have owned something

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 10, 2020

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Alctel posted:

That makes sense. At least the rental market there got significantly better last time I checked (plus the joy of reading about multi-house owning boomers whining about the vacancy tax every week in the paper).

I'm probably just going to live on my sailboat again when I move back but it would have been nice to have owned something

Yeah, this makes me feel kinda lovely but we're hoping the lack of UVic/Camosun is going to sink rental prices right when we move over. Gotta take the positives when you can!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My partner and I are about to buy in Cowichan. It's considerably less insane here because no one wants to pay the high property taxes. Prices have even gone down a tiny bit. Still loving ridiculous though. I can't wrap my head around a new home costing $35000 in the eighties compared to $450000 now, for the same home, with no updates or improvements.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Yeah, this makes me feel kinda lovely but we're hoping the lack of UVic/Camosun is going to sink rental prices right when we move over. Gotta take the positives when you can!

AirBNB tanking really helped too, lots of fully furnished places suddenly appearing on the rental market overnight funnily enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I was watching the Big Short last night and I really felt the despondency of the characters when subprime mortgage defaults went up, but the cost of the investment vehicles within they were packaged increased in price.

Every loving economic fundamental of the west coast couldn't support the kind of eye watering housing prices seen before COVID-19. And yet prices have STILL climbed even during the worst public health emergency since the Spanish Flu?

The mind truly loving boggles.