Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Manuel Calavera posted:

Minor contention, the admin is named Reene, not Renee, because that's my name. I've had one person get confused and be like "Hey they're saying you're a sexpest!" when it was a post about admin Reene, not me.

i literally had no idea that was the admin's handle. thanks for the heads up. my brain just makes it read like that for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mediaphage posted:

yeah we just talked about this like five posts up. i'm not convinced of anything until / unless contracts are signed. even then....eh.

I don't have a law degree, but from what I understand there are likely to be some major issues with data security/registration regulations and the site changing hands, or something. If they go through any kind of normal channel anyhow. And if they don't that might open everyone to legal problems. At least according to someone I was talking to, who does have a law degree and is somewhat familiar with the whole SA system. Hard to say for sure, but it's definitely not as easy flipping a switch and changing some registry entries.

mediaphage posted:

also as has been mentioned in the thread in gbs a few times now, the idea that mod sass is probatable or worse, depending, is one of the worst administrative things about this entire forum. it's absurd, since it stifles necessary criticism (i'm sorry, i will forever maintain whirled peas as one of the worst things to happen to gws).

Some of y'all took to whirled peas as well as Trumpists take to mask wearing. Tribalism is a hell of a drug, regardless of flavor.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You were a good mod barto. :3:
Also no ill will/offense taken for folk misreading Reene's name. Like, I just wanted to clear it up because I'd seen confusion.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

bartolimu posted:

Hard to say for sure, but it's definitely not as easy flipping a switch and changing some registry entries.

Not really my point - which is that lowtax is unstable and untrustworthy and thus literally anything could happen.

bartolimu posted:

Some of y'all took to whirled peas as well as Trumpists take to mask wearing. Tribalism is a hell of a drug, regardless of flavor.

:rolleyes:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Manuel Calavera posted:

You were a good mod barto. :3:
Also no ill will/offense taken for folk misreading Reene's name. Like, I just wanted to clear it up because I'd seen confusion.

i didnt think you were offended, it was just that i literally had no idea their handle was "reene" instead of "renee" because brains are fantastic at that sort of stuff

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I barely even remember whirled peas other than everyone hated it immensely

Also that bart had to explain that it was supposed to be "world peace" but silly and literally no one had caught that and he was disappointed

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartolimu posted:

I don't have a law degree, but from what I understand there are likely to be some major issues with data security/registration regulations and the site changing hands, or something. If they go through any kind of normal channel anyhow. And if they don't that might open everyone to legal problems. At least according to someone I was talking to, who does have a law degree and is somewhat familiar with the whole SA system. Hard to say for sure, but it's definitely not as easy flipping a switch and changing some registry entries.

Even beyond that, it's a transfer of corporate ownership, those things don't happen overnight. SA is a business as well as a website.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I barely even remember whirled peas other than everyone hated it immensely

Also that bart had to explain that it was supposed to be "world peace" but silly and literally no one had caught that and he was disappointed

i'm pretty sure everyone knew it was supposed to be 'world peace', otherwise it just didn't make sense

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

So ThermoWorks has a new small cheap instant-read thermometer out.

https://www.thermoworks.com/dash?quantity=1&dash=1

3 to 4 second readings, accurate to 0.9°F, AND it’s only $40 bucks!!? Yes, please! :allears:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

That is a great price.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

poo poo yes it is. Guess I'm getting a new thermometer.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That's weird, aren't they kinda self-competing against the Thermopop?

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

That Works posted:

That's weird, aren't they kinda self-competing against the Thermopop?

Thermoworks has a pretty solid hold on all things temperature. I think it's more to capture all the dollars any one might want to spend on thermometers.

That said, so much of my GLP lab is kept up to standards with their NIST traceable measuring devices and they are wonderful.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I retract the previous post that was here and wish to say that quinoa is a loving scam re: protein. It has barely more protein relative to the other macros than rice. So if you're a vegan and it's important to you that it's "complete", go for it. As a general protein source, it's loving garbage.

Bean noodles are still great, though.

E:Or if you just like how it tastes which I do but I'm currently very disappointed because I just found out the protein thing

feelix fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 30, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feelix posted:

I retract the previous post that was here and wish to say that quinoa is a loving scam re: protein. It has barely more protein relative to the other macros than rice. So if you're a vegan and it's important to you that it's "complete", go for it. As a general protein source, it's loving garbage.

Bean noodles are still great, though.

E:Or if you just like how it tastes which I do but I'm currently very disappointed because I just found out the protein thing

Eh, my understanding is that unless one is bodybuilding or looking to build mass we get more than enough protein anyway, so fixating on protein content is not that helpful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hellote everyone, just popping in to let people know that we are in the final hours for the Hand To Mouth Season 4 kickstarter. Hand to Mouth is a very funny cooking show focused on low cost healthy recipes for people who are cost conscious or struggling financially.

Here's one of my favorite recipes of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuLJ1ayyhYo

I like to add a lil' cinnamon to the egg mixture.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
the worst thing to happen to gws is banning mindphlux don't @ me

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pile of brown posted:

Agreed. Mommie Dearest too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

At least Mrs. Gundersen is still around, assuming the pandemic didn't get her.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

pile of brown posted:

All 20 times?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Mindphlux is welcome to post here, so long as he can fake sobriety and not be an enormous rear end in a top hat to people. It's a low bar to clear.

Croatoan posted:

All 20 times?

Hey, I only banned him twice. The other ~44 probes and multiple bans all came before my time.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Mindphlux is welcome to post here, so long as he can fake sobriety and not be an enormous rear end in a top hat to people. It's a low bar to clear.

Eh in my experience you get one or the other.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I love Pumpkin Seeds, but the thing is I love them best when they're freshly made, however fresh Pumpkins aren't exactly easy to find this time of year, are there any other Squashes that would be available this time of year that would make good substitutes for that kind of thing in terms of having big tasty seeds?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

drrockso20 posted:

So I love Pumpkin Seeds, but the thing is I love them best when they're freshly made, however fresh Pumpkins aren't exactly easy to find this time of year, are there any other Squashes that would be available this time of year that would make good substitutes for that kind of thing in terms of having big tasty seeds?

At my local big chain grocery store i can usually find butternut or acorn squash easily enough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

That Works posted:

At my local big chain grocery store i can usually find butternut or acorn squash easily enough.

I'll have to give that a try then

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I'll have to give that a try then

In my experience acorns will have the better seeds to work with

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I bought a United States silicone ice mold and wanted to use it to make shaped food over the holiday weekend. I hate gelatin though, is there any other easy moldable food I could use?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Some sort of cream cheese based spread?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Cheesecake?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

drrockso20 posted:

Any winter squash will do it. My favorite both for the squash and seeds is butternut

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Maigius posted:

I bought a United States silicone ice mold and wanted to use it to make shaped food over the holiday weekend. I hate gelatin though, is there any other easy moldable food I could use?

For maximum 'Murica the only answer is meatloaf

Or yeah a cheese ball. I'd suggest grated parm in the mold to ease releasing if you try that though

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Beef tartare.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

That Works posted:

In my experience acorns will have the better seeds to work with

Also objectively the best squash. Except maaaybe delicata.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've been struggling trying to make corn tortillas for the past 2 months. Finally figured it out. The recipes you find with google leave out key details or are too vague. eg, The top link when searching `how to make corn tortillas` on Google

"If at any point through the tortilla making process the dough seems too dry or too wet, add a little more water or masa to the dough."
There's a narrow window of water content between crumbly and wet surface. These are your bounds. I've found somewhere in the middle's a safe bet, unless you plan to let the dough sit before cooking - then err towards the wet side, but not slimy. The ratio depends significantly on the brand of Masa used.

"Make about 16-18 balls from the dough. Form balls of dough: Pinch off a piece of the masa dough and rub it between your hands to shape it into a ball the size of a plum, or slightly large golf ball."
Make as many as you'd like to eat. 60 grams per tortilla works well for tacos, although this depends on the water/masa ratio used.

"Gently close the press and press down, until the dough has spread to a diameter of 4 to 5 inches."
The details here depend on the press you're using, but you want the torts to be as thin as you can make, without them falling apart. Some presses/techniques may make the edges fade to nothing instead of press evenly; this may cause the edge to tear when removing from the press, or cooking. See note below about oil.

"Heat a griddle or a large skillet on high heat."
Not helpful. A good temp is 190° - 220°C. Start on the higher end, due to the temp drop when adding the dough. Adjust heat as required to maintain this range.

"Cook the tortilla on one side, then flip: Cook the tortilla on the hot pan for 30 seconds to a minute on each side. The tortilla should be lightly toasted and little air pockets forming."
30 s isn't long enough to get toasted or form air pockets. (Maybe at 220°C +? Haven't tested enough.) ~90s per side seems to work, assuming you maintain the temp listed above.

Adding oil to the dough significantly improves structural integrity. Without oil, as most recipes suggest, the torts fall apart during either removal from press, or flipping, unless you make them thick, at which point the result becomes bready, and falls apart when you fold it. There may be other clever ways to improve structural integrity besides adding fat. Any ideas? In wheat, gluten provides this (Cross-linking?), but this is absent with corn.

What's been your experience?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 3, 2020

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Ordered a large block of Swiss cheese from Smart and Final the other day. Received 160 slices of white American cheese. FML.

Gonna be making a lot of grilled cheese sandos this month.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dominoes posted:

I've been struggling trying to make corn tortillas for the past 2 months. Finally figured it out. The recipes you find with google leave out key details or are too vague. eg, The top link when searching `how to make corn tortillas` on Google

"If at any point through the tortilla making process the dough seems too dry or too wet, add a little more water or masa to the dough."
There's a narrow window of water content between crumbly and wet surface. These are your bounds. I've found somewhere in the middle's a safe bet, unless you plan to let the dough sit before cooking - then err towards the wet side, but not slimy. The ratio depends significantly on the brand of Masa used.

"Make about 16-18 balls from the dough. Form balls of dough: Pinch off a piece of the masa dough and rub it between your hands to shape it into a ball the size of a plum, or slightly large golf ball."
Make as many as you'd like to eat. 60 grams per tortilla works well for tacos, although this depends on the water/masa ratio used.

"Gently close the press and press down, until the dough has spread to a diameter of 4 to 5 inches."
The details here depend on the press you're using, but you want the torts to be as thin as you can make, without them falling apart. Some presses/techniques may make the edges fade to nothing instead of press evenly; this may cause the edge to tear when removing from the press, or cooking. See note below about oil.

"Heat a griddle or a large skillet on high heat."
Not helpful. A good temp is 190° - 220°C. Start on the higher end, due to the temp drop when adding the dough. Adjust heat as required to maintain this range.

"Cook the tortilla on one side, then flip: Cook the tortilla on the hot pan for 30 seconds to a minute on each side. The tortilla should be lightly toasted and little air pockets forming."
30 s isn't long enough to get toasted or form air pockets. (Maybe at 220°C +? Haven't tested enough.) ~90s per side seems to work, assuming you maintain the temp listed above.

Adding oil to the dough significantly improves structural integrity. Without oil, as most recipes suggest, the torts fall apart during either removal from press, or flipping, unless you make them thick, at which point the result becomes bready, and falls apart when you fold it. There may be other clever ways to improve structural integrity besides adding fat. Any ideas? In wheat, gluten provides this (Cross-linking?), but this is absent with corn.

What's been your experience?

The following advice is for corn tortillas. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to become moderately competent at making them. I can do it, but any abuela who saw me try would just laugh. Still, they turn out edible. Thoughts:

Be careful what masa you use. Don't buy instant, it's poo poo. I buy pre-mixed masa at a Mexican market. Some of them use instant, but Cardena's at least does not. And they prep it every day, so it's freshly rehydrated. It usually needs a drop or two of water per tortilla to work properly for me, which I figure is the difference between ideal hand-made texture and what works for the tortilla-making machine they have.

Take a plastic shopping bag and cut a couple of squares. One goes under the masa ball, the other goes on top. This will let you press out the masa and peel the tortilla off the press without it falling apart, without having to add oil. (Fat is only added to masa used for things like tamales, and then it should be lard. Mmmmm, lard.) Don't use a sandwich or storage bag, those are too thick. A super-thin translucent shopping bag is the right thickness. This is such a common kitchen hack that the California plastic bag ban caused a major crisis among latino homes about how to properly press tortillas, and some of my friends still ship plastic bags into California to be given out to those in need.

If the tortilla won't gently peel off the plastic, it's over-hydrated. Add a bit of masa and try again. If the edges of the tortilla crack or split at all, it's not hydrated enough; scrape it off the plastic, ball it up, add (literally) a drop or two of water and try again.

Lay a toothpick or other thin piece of wood on the side of the press that makes the tortilla too thin if you have difficulty stopping it at the right point. You're right, this is a major difference between presses and down to individual variation. It took me a long time to get consistent tortilla thickness and I still sometimes gently caress up.

I have never found a griddle that was too hot for tortilla making. I set mine to its max of 450F (232C) and that's not hot enough. I have to use a cast iron pan on the hottest burner of my stove, it's 550F/290C or higher. poo poo needs to be NASA hot.

"Little air pockets" is understating it. The tortilla should inflate like a whoopie cushion. Otherwise it'll be heavy. If it doesn't inflate and seems mostly done, flip it one more time and press lightly in the middle of the tortilla for a moment. This might encourage it to puff properly. If it doesn't, don't get frustrated - this is where I realize I hosed something up most of the time. It's a delicate process. Eat it (it'll still be delicious) and try again.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 3, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
serious eats has a much better guide by gritzer

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've never put oil in mine and I use instant. Getting the water content right and pressing such that it is an even tortilla are the things to master. Repition and repetition.

I use a zip lock bag ripped as my press plastic.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bliss Authority posted:

Ordered a large block of Swiss cheese from Smart and Final the other day. Received 160 slices of white American cheese. FML.

American cheese is basically infinate if well sealed and put in the back of the fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bliss Authority posted:

3 parts American cheese, 3 parts any other reasonably melty cheese(s), 2 parts milk. Slowly mix cheese into hot milk over low heat with an immersion blender. Start with all of the American first. Salt to taste.

Enjoy your delicious cheese sauce over mac, or anything else really.